The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting issue.
    Posted: 18 Feb 21 at 21:43
Hello,

I'm just hoping for a pointer as to the cause of an issue I'm having with my LT35, please.

Any help or opinion would be gratefully received as I'm not mechanically minded and the van is due for an MOT in a few weeks. I'm concerned it might not even start on the day!

The issue is that it struggles to start. In summary: I've fitted a new battery; the alternator is probably working; the starter motor seems to function.

Here's my workings:

Starter motor: Based on what I've read, I'm guessing the starter motor is fine - when I turn the key, it makes the typical 'coughing' sound, but it either doesn't start or it needs a few goes before it splutters to life. I'll turn the key and let it cough 6/8/10 times before stopping and trying again.

Battery: a brand new Exide 95ah battery was fitted less than 2 years ago. When the problems started before Christmas, I measured the voltage with a multimeter and it was 11.6 or so, but varied. Based on what I read online, my guess is that it was sulphated due to lack of use (furlough) and therefore it needed replacing. However, I charged it indoors, managed to start it just the once but gave up to it and and bought a new one.

I fitted the brand new battery two days ago (95ah Exide) and that didnt cure it, though it has helped. Today it refused to start on the first attempt, but just made it on the second.

Various multimeter readings:
12.48v at fitting
12.75 after a 60 minute drive
12.62 after 6 hours standing.
12.53 after 24 hours standing
13.16 after a 60 minute drive
12.58 after 6 hours standing
12.50 after 24 hours standing
12.64 after an hours drive.

Alternator: My assumption is that the alternator is working because the voltage increases after use.

Another thing to note is when I return from a drive, I turn the engine off then turn the key again and it starts first time. It also did that in the final days of the old battery as well.

So: new battery; alternator probably working; starter motor seems to function.

Have I got something wrong and/or what else might be causing the problem?!

Thank you for any help and sorry for the long post!

Lancashire
LT35 80kw TDi - 2005
MWB/Hi-top
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 21 at 10:18

It sounds as if the battery starter motor and alternator are all working as they should, if it seems to run ok once you get it fired up then other things I'd check next for a simple fix are 1, is the fuel draining back to the tank when parked up (so it would take an age to drag fuel all the way back up to the pump before it would start) 2, is it dragging air into the fuel system from a pinhole leak anywhere so weakening the fuel/air mixture 3, check if all (or any) of the glow plugs are working ok.

NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
ADK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 21 at 14:43
Thanks very much for your help. I now feel reassured that the 3 areas I mentioned are likely to be fine. I'm not sure how I'd about tackling your suggestions, but I'll have a read.

I've made start by parking the van the other way round to how it usually is - with the engine facing uphill rather than downhill. Not sure if that will make any difference to the fuel flow or if its irrelevant, but I'll find out soon enough!

Thanks again, it is appreciated.
Lancashire
LT35 80kw TDi - 2005
MWB/Hi-top
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 22:49
There is a fuel supply line at the back of the diesel pump, it has a clear section where you can see the fuel....if it hasn't drained back!

2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic