The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinsb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter problem
    Posted: 12 Apr 19 at 17:35
Hi there! I've a 1986 VWT3 1.9 DG. I've a starting problem but here's what I've changed already .New ignition switch, starter motor, relay, startor motor bush, new battery.
When I put a fully charged battery on the van it starts, then two days later it will start but after I left for 2 hours it would not turn over. I left it for 2 hours and tried again and it turned over and off I went.Any ideas?
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 19 at 21:50
Heat, are all the shields in place.
You don't mention the solenoid, repaired shed loads over the years usually corrosion on the T piece.
Just cos you hear a click doesn't mean the solenoid actually works.

Edited by AndyT - 12 Apr 19 at 21:53
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 19 at 10:07
Battery?

Had same problem with a jetta diesel.  Would start from cold but if left for an hour or so wouldnt start almost as if dead, yet left overnight would start.

Turned out to be battery after weeks of head scratching.

msabbasi View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msabbasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 19 at 02:05
A bit of investigative work needs to be done. If you have a digital multi meter, I would suggest to check the battery voltage. Then check the voltage at the starter. It should be the same. At least 12.5V. If there is a problem (I got 10.5V at the starter while batter was 12.4), have a look at the earth connections to the body. Check the resistance across the battery earth terminal and the body. You should see zero ohms. There are two earth straps in the T3. One is battery to body and the other one is under the van between gear box and body. Resistance across the gearbox strap needs also to be checked. By wild guess is that you have poor earth connections. 

If all checks out, then, there is another trick old VW owners do. A helper relay can be placed upstream of the starter solenoid. The idea is to feed the power from the battery straight to the solenoid via this relay. Switch energizes the relay coil which in turn energizes the solenoid. My 1.9 DG has this little modification done and has never given any problems. I had the exact same symptoms you described.  
 Post Reply Post Reply