The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

squealing noise on boost: SOLVED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: squealing noise on boost: SOLVED
    Posted: 03 Dec 14 at 13:24
if you listen to this short sound clip squeal.mp3, you can hear my T5 2.5 174 accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear. Just after halfway (the 2nd gear change) you can hear a squealing noise as the turbo comes on boost (its louder in person). I've replaced the turbo but it made the noise with the old one as well.

Does this noise sound familiar to you? Any clues as to where its coming from much appreciated.

thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED
SQUEAL WAS CAUSED BY EXHAUST MANIFOLD NUTS LOOSE ON CYLINDERS 5 AND 1
THE GASKET WAS ACTING LIKE THE REED IN A SAXAPHONE.

Edited by CMP260 - 05 Jan 15 at 16:09
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 14 at 01:05
can't really hear anything on your mp3
I'd be checking the intake plumbing, making sure connections are tight, seals are good
Or vacuum hoses maybe
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 14 at 14:07
try this recording its amplified (may need to downbload it, im not sure it plays properly online)
squeal.mp3

dont think its vacuum, sounds like pressure squeal, ive looked but cant find anything...
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 14 at 17:27
Sounds like the manifold to turbo joint. Same problem I had. http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/turbo-squeal-cure_topic57276.html

Mine didn't leave much soot or fumes like a cracked manifold. It only needs to be a small leak.

Edited by T5 TDI - 04 Dec 14 at 17:30
2004 2.5 174
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 14 at 20:05
thanks but dotn think so -god I hope not at least, I just replaced the turbo and installed new gasket.
it was squealing before I replaced it too,

Ive now got the later motor with the cast manifold -my last van had the sheet metal one -re-welded all 5  ports...
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 14 at 22:30
It's always a good idea to add your engine code. I'm guessing BXE? The old AXE and AXD engines didn't have a gasket. There was talk of an aftermarket gasket for those but I don't know if the later engine with the O/E cast iron manifold has one.

I could hear it perfectly on your first mp3 btw!       
2004 2.5 174
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 14 at 00:44
Not heard it but I'm thinking its a stainless steel gasket blowing...either the head to manifold or on the egr pipe work, the gasket vibrates and acts like a reed in a trumpet ( I know nowt about trumpets but I'm sure they have a reed in)
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 14 at 10:51
sorry Engine code BPC -the one where the turob is bolted directly to the DPF

Im guessing its not vacuum prob since I can hear a sort of turbo-y sound in the shriek and it doesnt sound like its a vacuum suck noise
Since its only happening on strong boost, Im guessing its a pressure hose downstream of the turbo -maybe a hole, or connection.  the intercooler had a pinhhole -replaced it, so its not that. Ive also reseated all the hoses and the seals look ok. Im not keen on splashing out for a new set of hoses either sespecially if i find out thats not the cause...

Manifold gasket maybe but I didnt see any evidince of soot when I removed the turbo. Stupid me, I should have taken the manifold off to check when i had the turbo out but the turbo was such a ball ache that i didnt want to have to remove all the watercooled EGR manifold crap and chance I broken stud on the manifold when I didnt see any soot. EGR is blanked (electric control so a 10mm hole in the plate to keep the ECU happy) but it was squealing before i blanked it.

p.s. trumpet got no reed, you blow in it like your making a farting noise, saxaphone and clarinet do thoughCool

Edited by CMP260 - 05 Dec 14 at 11:00
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 18:40
dont know the setup for the t5, as regards to if they have pump belts, but had same noise on my lt 2004 which turned out to be the fuel pump belt tention roller bearing had gone
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 20:48
Cheers for suggestion but t5 2.5 motor has no belts at all. gear drive or gates drive connector for all pumps and alternator. Cam is chain drive.

Edited by CMP260 - 07 Dec 14 at 20:49
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 20:59
Originally posted by CMP260 CMP260 wrote:

Cheers for suggestion but t5 2.5 motor has no belts at all. gear drive or gates drive connector for all pumps and alternator. Cam is chain drive.

I thought the cam drive was gears as well ?
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 21:17
I thought the cam was gear drive too but ive been corrected...
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 14 at 00:07
Originally posted by CMP260 CMP260 wrote:

I thought the cam was gear drive too but ive been corrected...

By whom and with what proof ?   Wink 

I haven't actually dismantled mine to be absolutely 100% certain, but all the "exploded" photos and diagrams I've seen of the R5 2.5l 5 cyl VW lump definitely show a whole heap of gears driving everything on that end, including the cam.  I've also seen videos of R5 engines running with the valve/cam cover off and there is a whacking big helical gear on one end of the cam, not a chain and sprocket.

From page 12 of the VW self study guide for this engine:

Quote  The gear train is arranged on the flywheel end. The camshaft and the ancillary units are driven by the crankshaft via the gear train. 

http://vwpress.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ssp-305-e.pdf

Edited by gregozedobe - 08 Dec 14 at 00:12
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 14 at 10:52
so I was right all along?
thanks for the pdf, could come in handy. Handshake

Now I'm wondering if they have both chain and gear versions?

anyway back to the squealing problem, yesterday I went for a 1/2 hour drive. It started running badly and stinking a bit like something burning from under bonnet. But it funnily seemed like it had more power and the boost squeal was gone?

After it cooled I noticed the antifreeze was down by about a pint, there was a trace of cream in the oil filler cap and the oil was also a bit low. -there is a small oil leak anyway. and I havent checked fluids in a while but I seriously hope I dont have a head gasket problem...

So, I topped up the fluids, removed the EGR blank plate completey since it caused problems before.
This morning, I took it for a spin: the squeal is back but it seems to be running normally... fingers crossed it was only condensation.Cry

Ive decided to try to find the squeal by putting two mono condenser microphones under bonnet facing opposite directions, connected to laptop in cab running audacity using stereo-mono splitter.
then record a test drive and see which side the squeal comes from (which side of the stereo recording is louder). Then repeat to narrow down the location -its either that or put a dwarf under the bonnet and Im pretty sure that violates H&S regs Tongue

Edited by CMP260 - 08 Dec 14 at 11:03
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 14 at 16:21
This thread seems to be taking on a slightly surreal tone but I'm enjoying it :-) What are you using to record the squeal CMP? It's a novel approach and given the quality of digital recording these days it could be a good idea:-)

I'm not sure the squeal is connected to other problems though.
2004 2.5 174
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 14 at 17:25
ill use a laptop with audacity direct to the mics.
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 14 at 07:50
I have audacity. Good fun (and free!)   
2004 2.5 174
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 14 at 08:27
if i really wanted to get fancy (and had the time) and if people would send me recordings of various vacuum whistles and pressure shrieks it might be possible to setup a noise library to assist future troubleshooting. 

provided the sound you are troubleshooting is not "always on" you can use noise removal to get rid of most engine noise and then you can display the frequency spectrum - this might assist in comparison of different noises -it should be possible to loosely tie a frequency spectrum to a noise source.  At a minimum I would say it could discern between a vacuum or pressure shriek.
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
danozeman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danozeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 14 at 22:21
Sounds like blowing manifold to me!! Common as muck on BPC's. Or cracked manifold. They don't always show soot on the head/manifold.
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 14 at 08:38
Cheers for that info. I've been thinking a bit. I replaced all turbo gaskets except the one to dpf from turbo. That wouldn't fit so I reused old gasket. The squeal is more common now than before I replaced the turbo. I assumed it was due to new turbo having more boost but maybe it's that bloody gasket.
I bent the new one trying to fit it. But it's still got a ridge unlike the old one I reused.
Is there any way that gungum might work in that jobs my? Or am I asking my for trouble with it being so close to the turbo vanes.
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>