The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'SPORTS' EXHAUST OPTIONS???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'SPORTS' EXHAUST OPTIONS???
    Posted: 12 May 10 at 14:51
Hey All,

I want to fit an after-market exhaust backbox on my2ltr '81 aircooled westy, money is tightish so dont wont to spend too much - can anyone suggest some options, (with pics if possWink), and what to look out for?

Ideally want a more throaty, gruff sound!

I also understand from various sites that some of the rear valence may need to be 'modified', (guess this means twatting repeatedly with a lump hammer?), to allow some exhausts to fit?!?!?

Anyway any help/pointers would be greatly received,

Cheers chaps!

Tongue
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 16:07
bluebird customs one fits well
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 16:45
yup, they look nice but they are priceyShocked

have looked at a few at round about the £100 mark on the heritage site, (ssp..ssd...or summit like that!), but was wandering how they look/fit on the back of the dub?

cheers!
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 17:10
cruz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 07:22
Fit stainless only once rather than a cheaper mild steel box that will drop off in 18 months
edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 08:03

Steve B - cheers for the link, but he's selling cos he wants a sportier roar when he boots it...much like myself so although it would look sweet on the back of my dub it wouldnt end up delivering the goooods!

apart from bluebird, are there any other outlets for throaty back boxes???
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 08:17
steer clear of any empi shite, will rust to bits in days and actually rob power
aberdare. south wales

edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 08:23
really???

i was seriously considering one as they look cool, (and yes at a sub £100 price tag are within budget), and are suposed to sound gruff! 

what if i was to rust treat the outside before fitted - would that help?? im guessing if the van is used reasonbly frequesntly then the inside shouldnt rust out too quickly....

....or am i way off the mark?

ConfusedConfusedConfused
edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 08:28

what about this one, its been offered to me very cheaply, (£30), would it give a slightly sportier tone?

at this price. if it did sound 'sportier' and lasted 12 months, it would be fine and then allow me to save for a stainless system next year, maybe?

little.legs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little.legs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 08:56
Just got a stainless system on my t4 from tony banks exhausts in leeds also on net as longlie exhausts. Sounds ace and won't rust. He does them for t3's. Not sure on price though. Full t4 from manifold was £349 fitted with lifetime guarantee.

If you buy cheap it'll rust. Got a jk system for my t3 and it began to rust within the 1st wk it was on the van. Save your pennies and change it once as it can be a pig of a job on a t3.
where's mi t'hammer
edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 09:05

awww.....bloody hell!!!

I dont want to spend shitloads on the backbox....but it does appear that anything other than stainless will drop off within a few weeks!!!

why cant i get a sportier box made out of the same quality as my standard which has been on my van since ive had it, (2 yrs), and probably a lot longer with the previous owner?
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 13:57
edweed, my bluebird sounds a bit more sporty that standard, on the loud pedal but when cruising its as quiet as a stock one which is a bit of the best of both worlds, i know its a bit of shameless promotion by myself & steveB cheers man LOL :OP

i gotta come down to somerset (taunton)not this weekend but next so if ya willing to meet me i can knock of a little of the price

i'm only selling my bluebird as i have weber idf carbs & want to bring the rortyness out a bit, or i may make my own or have a natter with turbo thomas
i laugh at my own jokes cause there funny to me! i dont give a fck if you dont think they are

if your in the redline lol ya having a good time! lol ;P

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 07:37
Originally posted by edweed edweed wrote:

awww.....bloody hell!!!

I dont want to spend shitloads on the backbox....but it does appear that anything other than stainless will drop off within a few weeks!!!

why cant i get a sportier box made out of the same quality as my standard which has been on my van since ive had it, (2 yrs), and probably a lot longer with the previous owner?
honestly, empi stuff is proper gash.

it will rust within weeks

it will cost you power

it will be a waste of your money.LOL

get the bluebird oneWink
aberdare. south wales

edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 08:21
ok, ok, i get the picture....!

stainless it is then as i wanna keep the van as long as possible!

cheers for the 'heads up' guys - best start counting the pennies....Cry

Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 14:37
I fitted 2 empi on the bounce - like the look and sound but they rust within minutes and hole within 12-18 months and they reduce performance. I then had one made at power flow it was total shite full of holes and made the van sound like a dragster and run like a tractor for £550 - this was refunded. Bought the Bluebird twin fantastic build quality, noticable improvement in power sounds great - not louder just better. It is the only choice fit forget and enjoy.
Joker
edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 14:40
joker,

was yours aircooled?  if so, did the box simply bolt on?

ed.
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 18:10
the bluebird does just bolt straight up & they do fit nice!
i laugh at my own jokes cause there funny to me! i dont give a fck if you dont think they are

if your in the redline lol ya having a good time! lol ;P

langb20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote langb20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 21:49
Not sure how much modification you want to do yourself but I've just got a stainless silencer (24" long, 5" diameter, 2" bore) made from 'MIJ Exhaust' (midlands) they do made to order so any size/shape, I just got some connector clamps and clipped it all together should I want to change any bits in the future (not likely with stainless), will shave off the brackets from the old box and tack them on - sorted. I am doing a 1Z conversion anyway so need a non-standard setup, but for  £50 for a stainless backbox, can't go wrong Smile
'82 1Z camper project
Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 23:14
edweed,

no water box but it is early and I think it is the same and just bolts to standard headers, and I'm sure it can be fitted to late bay as it comes with a "dent" that is clearance for something. Give bluebird a call they are very helpfull.

joker
peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 10 at 02:04
Not cheap in any shape or form (£580!) BUT having just fitted a TURBO THOMAS system I shall never fit anything else to a 2.0ltr aircooled! Superb all round!

Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>