The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sportline T32 (GP/5.1) - Best way to drop or not?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sportline T32 (GP/5.1) - Best way to drop or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no$bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sportline T32 (GP/5.1) - Best way to drop or not?
    Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 01:09
First post so hi to all...

Hoping for some advice... Been searching but can't nail down an answer anywhere that is specific to the new T5.1 Sportline T32.

So I bin lucky enough to source a shiny new Sportline Kombi T32 DSG,  holding out for March to get a new plate (that's March this year!) so not fettled, driven or even had a really good once over it yet. Gonna sort out the audio and soundproof/ lining etc. but don't want to mess too much (see if I can stop myself anyway), however I can't help toying with the idea of dropping it a bit, especially at the back as they do seem to sit a bit high out the box. I'll not be carrying any weight worth a mention so won't need the stock clearance.

I don't know what the handling or ride quality is like as yet but I do not want to end up with anything worse than std (be nice to improve of course) ... I've had older T5s before and run 20s but I really quite like the new Sportline 18" wheels (in black) so I was planning on keeping them on it... I can't rule out flirting with 20s in the future but either way I can't help thinking that I'll be needing to sort the stance out. Not looking to slam it... just get her sitting nice and not looking like its waiting for a 1 tun payload.

If the stock Sportline is on a 30mm drop then (from from what little I have seen) Im guessing on the std 18s... 60mm or so will be the call ? ... maybe Ok with just a little off the back on 20s ?

Question is ... is it worth messing with and if so then what is the best way to drop a T32 Sportline without making the ride (more) harsh than it already may be... or, dare I say, even dropped a bit whilst improving the ride quality ?

My thoughts were to go H&R T32 Coilovers ... set up nicely at 50-60mm on the 18s would it be a better, worse or similar ride ?

I appreciate that there are probably not so many new T32 Sportlines out and about yet and even less that have been dropped... but any thoughts or top tinternet tips will be most welcome !

simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 07:08

Have you just got back from the pub ?
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 09:41
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

Have you just got back from the pub ?

I`m puzzled as to how you drew that conclusion, his post seemed coherent enough to me, certainly better than anything I would "assemble" after a night on the tilesBig smile

Anyway as the van is a T32 I can imagine where you`re coming from, my van had T32 springs fitted when it came as the original T28 springs are made of chocolate and seem to snap at the thought of a load

The T32s made it sit too high at the back IMO so I swapped my cousin for his T28 springs as he does carry heavy loads and isnt so fashion consciousLOL

It did improve the ride height but the T28s keep snapping, so my theory is that T30 springs are probably the best compromise

Coilovers would probably be the best ride and as they are height adjustable you can tailor exactly as you like but the only other option I can think of would be T30 Sportline springs (from an original T5) although as these were 2.5 and yours is 2.0 you`d need to double check that they will fit

HTH
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
no$bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no$bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 10:51
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Coilovers would probably be the best ride

Thanks for the reply... sounds like a vote for the coilovers though I'm not sure if that means a mellow  50-60mm drop on them may be a better ride than the std Sportline T32 set up or just the best ride out of possible other lowering options such as T30 Sportline springs or H&R Springs etc. ? ... I guess that is the real question as the best part of £1400 for the coilovers is a fair few pints worth bit to experiment with.

willhollin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willhollin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 11:58
Bluebird Customs are soon to have some GAZ coilovers specifically for the T32.

About half the price of the H&R.

no$bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no$bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 12:51
Yeah, I had spotted them. If going down the coilover route think I would still lean towards the more tried and tested H&R option ... in for a penny and all that. I may be able to get a fairly good deal on some anyway.

Just that question of whether the ride will likely be better, worse or similar...
no$bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no$bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 10:24
Well I decided to bite the bullet and go down the H&R Coilover route and after a bit of a wait for the van and then another wait for the kit I've now got them fitted ... so I thought I'd leave an answer to my own question as opposed to internet tumbleweed for anyone else who's just got back from the pub with the wild ale infused idea to swap out their standard Sportline suspension...

The upshot is that the std Sportline (Eibach springs) suspension was, as expected, quite disappointing in that the ride was harsh over any bumps & pot holes and very bouncy all round... it also rolled around bends. The stance of the van was also too high as expected, especially at the back. I'm sure it would ride much smoother with a 3/4 tonne load in the back but that is not what I bought the van for.

The H&R Coilovers by contrast have blown me away... I wasn't expecting such a massive improvement all round. The ride is now magic carpet smooth compared to the Eibachs and the van can handle bumps and pot holes in its stride with composure (new baby much happier in the back) so no more dodging craters down our bomb site cornish country lanes ... its also fully planted and tracks well round the bends. Add bends, bumps and braking all at the same time and I'll wager it is a much safer vehicle.

Bonus is the stance is now well sorted too ... no longer looks so much like the A team van :)

I guess the drop is around 60/70mm and I'm running std Sportline 18" wheels with 255/45 Contis.

Very stoked.

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 10:52
Pictures.....?
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Ratter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 11:35
My Sportline does sit a little high but after fitting 19" Range Rover Sport to my old 2.5 T5 I noticed the ride got a lot worse. I ran the Eibach's on my old T5 also. When I went from 17" to 19" the handling and mpg suffered by about 50 miles per tank.

I know however from a friend that VW (Swansea)were funny with him when it came to servicing with non standard suspension, to the point that they wouldn't touch them. Not sure whether you would have the same issues.

Would like to see pics mind you and see the difference.

For the meantime, I'm happy driving my silver A Team van, frantically turning the steering wheel and bobbing round the bends. Yeah the ride is harsh but I like it like that   
T5.1 Silver Sportline Kombi TDI Tuning box claiming 220 bhp.
no$bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no$bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 13:45
Not sure about servicing though I don't see why it should be an issue... they want the business at the end of the day and the H&R kit is quality TUV approved load rated gear.

Warranty wise... I asked the warranty dude at my local stealers and he indicated it would be OK... certainly for the first time there may be any issues but that they wouldn't entertain it if something directly related like suspension bushes were going repeatedly. I think they need to prove that any issue is caused by the non OEM part ... with the hugely improved ride etc. I can't see any issues at all being caused by these coilovers. Its how a "Sportline" should be coming in the first place imho.

He was more concerned about big alloys/skinny tyres and increased rolling radius etc. which I can understand ... not fussed on big rims myself, been there... love the new black Sportlines so its all good. If anything I'd have a play with some 17" steels.

not sure if these pics are working...

Before:

After:

no$bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no$bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 13:51
Ok ... clearly no pics. Shame.... used the wysywig insert and could see them before clicking 'post reply'.

Oh yeah ... forgot to say thanks to energysolutions for the original reply, so thanks fella.

Edited by no$bill - 12 Apr 12 at 13:52
no$bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no$bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 14:05
Ratter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 14:07
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!

T5.1 Silver Sportline Kombi TDI Tuning box claiming 220 bhp.
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 12 at 09:54
now, yons a bonnie lookin T femmer!
Ashley vwt6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley vwt6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 18 at 01:50
Hi, I read your post with much interest as I have a VW t6 T32 Kombi and want to improve the ride as passengers in the back are getting sea sick symptons from being bounced around ! You said that you fitted H & R coilovers and that it made a huge difference, I was thinking of fitting T28 springs but am now thinking of coilovers. Are they really that good ?

Would you mind calling me to discuss on 07583675003.

Regards.

Ashley.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 18 at 09:01
You might be lucky, but this thread is over 6 years old.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
 Post Reply Post Reply