The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpare Wheels `N` stuff 4 the Aus Trip.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare Wheels `N` stuff 4 the Aus Trip.
    Posted: 26 Sep 07 at 09:36

Well, the `Van (Freedom 2) is back from the Sprayers and looks splendiferous. Now, firstly, I need a spare wheel for the L Reg LT, Local Scrappies do not have one and a newie will cost £60! Secondly, where does it go? I know most people screw them to a rear door, but I want to avoid that, also (God I am a thicko, my wife says if I swallowed a fly I would have more brains in my belly than my head) I want to change or check the Air Filter.....eeer, where is it?

I know you guys are there to assist, and I do appreciate your help, by the way, I can recipricate by way of teaching you how to Juggle Soot.... 

Edited by wheelrim
wheelrim
Poggle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 07 at 17:41

We need photies

The spare wheel on my LT28 1994 model is located by the side door underbody of the vehicle. Some are at the rear and some are stored inside the vehicle. There should be a holder that the wheel fits into.

mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 07 at 08:12
My spare is mounted just forward of the n/s/r wheel next to the step on the sliding door as i made a frame for it there .The air filter is behind the drivers seat take the seat out remove the rubber mat behind the seat and then unscrew the big plastic nut same as the seat one take cover off then in there is the airbox unclip it and then its a 13mm nut in the center of the air filter undo that lift filter out .

Mike
wheelrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 07 at 18:13
Guys, once again you have come up trumps  and I am thankful, got all the grill stuff off the front today, it was grey-ish, so went to Wilko`s bought some Matt Black `Plasti-Cote`, rubbed it all down and gave it all 4 coats... smashing finish.... incidently, there are some screws that go into what I can only describe as `rawplugs` before screwing them back on, are they readily available? i`ll wager Not!
wheelrim
moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 14:31

Hi

We chose to mount our spare wheel on the front of the van where the Vw badge is. It makes life a lot easier than having it stowed inside - where it would either get in the way or get packed away so that half the van needs to be unloaded to get to it - or having it underneath where it gets dirty and is a pain to get to especially if it's raining!!

Also having it on the front takes some of the weight off of the back end which helps as we are always towing a trailer with stationary engines in with ours!

We never liked the idea of putting it on the back doors as it can't do the hinges any good , although we have seen some good seperatly hinged carriers on the back of some vans.

It has 2 plates welded in with 2 M12 bolts bolted to it the wheel sits on the front bumper and the bolts go through 2 of the bolt holes in the wheel to hold it on.

It does not make the van run any hotter (we have sat in lots of jams since we done it to test it!!) as it is not blocking the rad and the fresh air system still works fine.

Cheers

SImon & Kirsty

Edited by moocow
wheelrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 17:01
Simon and Kirsty, Firstly we have to get a spare! we think, due to the `vans layout, we will store the spare in a poly-bag in the space above the cab, when you see the piccies of `Freedom 2` you will see the layout, we think its cool.... soon.
wheelrim
moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 18:25

Wheelrim

Where abouts are you located?

marmalade View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 07 at 10:37
We have ors on the roof rack so it takes up no room inside but has added to the drag
wheelrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 10:11

Simon and Kirsty. Stafford (Where the M6 is cobbled).

*****Single Seat?***** I want to take out the double seat in the passenger front and replace it with a single, any ideas with what, and how?

Edited by wheelrim
wheelrim
moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 22:24

Wheelrim

We have got a single LT seat with matching (although ripped) drivers seat that you could have for nothing if you came and collected them they were the originals in our van which we replaced with a set (double and drivers) that we got out of a scrapper. 

The single seat will bolt straight into your van wher the double is mounted.

Trouble is we are in Basildon which is a bit of a trek but would be good practice for your trip to Aus and you could look in the local scrap yards whilst you are down and get a spare wheel!!

Cheers

Simon & Kirsty

Edited by moocow
wheelrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 09:29

Now there is an offer.........

Photies hopefully today!

Come back to you on that....... JW.

wheelrim
wheelrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 07 at 18:45
Ok, I HAVE the photos of my van! they are on `my photos` on the computor... how do I attach them to this? HELP! 
wheelrim
wheelrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 07 at 18:48

van

wheelrim
moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 07 at 18:58

Wheelrim

you need to use photobucket

Here is how to use photobucket:

1.Go to www.photobucket.com and fill out the necessary info.
2. Once you have registered and you have had a look around the site you need to find the ' add pictures' button.
3. Click on browse button this should pop up a 'choose file' window, Desktop, My Documents for example
4. Locate the folder/file that has the pictures in the you want to upload ( it may be easier to place a shortcut of the image on your desktop to begin with as it is easier to find).
5. Click the image that you want to upload, you may see something like P7110008.JPG which is a picture of my GMC or if you have renamed it you will see that name of the image.
6. Click 'upload' on the Photobucket site
7. You should now see your picture up on Photobucket

Now to get image from there to the forum follow the following steps.

1. Underneath your picture on Photobucket you will see four boxes 1st email , 2nd direct link  3rd HTML and 4th IMG
2. Highlight the 4th box ..........the Img box
3. Right click of the mouse and copy
4. Then paste it in to your message

Your picture should then be in your message

Cheers

SImon & Kirsty

wheelrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 12:02
Here Goes..

Edited by wheelrim
wheelrim
spike72 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 13:36

looks like it just left the showroom

i wish mine looked like that

moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 17:44

Looks great - nice job!

how many does it sleep and what are the specs?

Try putting each picture on a separate line then they will all be in a colomn rather than accross the screen.

Cheers

SImon & Kirsty

wheelrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 18:24

If you go on the forst photo and `drag` the blue line at the bottom across you will see another 8 pics.

The van has been designed to just sleep two, me and `er indoors`. There is no `zig` unit, the guy up the road says you do not need one, they are not essential, it has essentially been made from a crap caravan, the hob/sink are just sunk into a worksurface on an old carcass with a couple of doors thrown on, in the `wardrobe` is a 3-way fridge, open from top type, less than a year old, only been used on mains, electrolux, as new. £40 local paper, result!

kept everything real simple, at the bottom of the wardrobe is a pull-out portapotti which, with a bit of luck will not be used very often, avoid if poss! still, its there for when we have had one bottle too many and we dont want to travel too far...

The sink and Hob are new, came with the van, they ar SMEV, we will not have `outlets` cut into the van for drains and stuff, a waste-tank and freshwater tank under the sink will suffice, as will the solar shower... we have an electric hook-up and will try not to use that too much, we are looking for a second-hand solar panel to charge two new leisure Batteries, last time we did, and used an 800w inverter and NEVER ran out of electricity, bloody marvellous!

loads of storage over and under, time to start looking at some old maps we have and decide whether its east, or west!

By the way, I know cock-all about engines and fixing-up `vans, its all numpty-stuff, really, I have NO IDEA what I am doing, and if you knew me you would back me up on that, the point is, if I can, anyone can....... give me a call if u like, 07719890718.

Edited by wheelrim
wheelrim
 Post Reply Post Reply