The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sourcing a syncro gearbox?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonah tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sourcing a syncro gearbox?
    Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 12:57
hello, this is my first post so apologies if i'm annoyingly repeating common posts but i couldnt find much from the search function. please bear with me and please point out if im being stupid or missing obvious stuff, im told you guys are the font of all knowledge when it comes to transporters and im looking to buy one so here goes with a long list of questions......

the story so far....
i've been offered a hi top t3 camper at what i think is a good price (its been stood for over a year, no mot etc) when i went to see if i was surprised at the lack of rust (really clean underneath) and the interior was dry and didn't smell damp (all good so far). 
now i was aware that the gearbox was knackered and i was pricing for a replacement gearbox on the way up to see the van, (in my head) but when i got there and crawled underneath i realised this van had started life as a SYNCRO. someone previously has taken the 4x4 box out and fitted a 5 speed 2wd box but the front diff and drive shafts are still in place. (i hope this is making sense, ive never poked around with a syncro before so i may be making some stupid assumptions).

the current owner is losing his storage and really wants rid (he hadn't mentioned its a syncro so im not sure he is even aware of its former glory). its cheap even for a 2wd so im eager to get it as a project for me and my bro to do

but it would be nice to get it back to its former glory as a syncro, so ...
  • how much am i looking at for a 4x4 box, transfer box (i take it they are separate like on a landy?) and front to back axle to connect up to the front diff?
  • are these parts even available? and if so where do i start looking?
  • what would the issues be if i just put a 2wd box in?

thanks in advance for any advice
Tom

orcecaveman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orcecaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 17:19
Aiden is your man for anything to do with gearbox's, he may even be able to point you in the right direction of a replacement if he hasn't got one http://www.aidantalbot.com
There is also a chap that sources a lot of syncro parts from Denmark and brings them across. He goes by the name of Hugomonkey on the legbag forum.
Has the van got all the syncro vacuum pipes, resevoir and cab switches?
You must put it back to being a syncro, got any pics?

jonah tonto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonah tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 17:51
yeah im going to drop aidan an email, but i think he is busy with family matters at the mo so dont want to bother him really. 
I will try and track down hugomonkey too.

so far ive only had a once over just to check rust levels and interior condition. i really wasnt expecting it to be a syncro or i wouldve taken a camera so i could ask for help a bit better. pretty sure im going to buy it though (unless someone beats me to it)
looks like a decent project and my little bro is doing a mechanics course so i want to get something we can fix up together. the syncro thing is just worrying me due to the extra expense.

expect a torrent of questions if i get it picked up on monday Tongue
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 14 at 22:05
Email is best
Family stuff is old news, but very busy
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 14 at 22:18
Tell us more about this van...colour etc...api know of 2 ex syncros and it may be one of them?
jonah tonto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonah tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 14 at 00:54
ok so my life went a bit mental (i thought i may get evicted for a bit but looks like i have some breathing space at least) but i did get the van bought and relayed to my long suffering mums house in carmarthenshire (thanks mum, your the best) 
 going up to give her a good scrub down (the van not my mum) tomorrow and see just what ive got, get some engine numbers together and assess. hopefully i will have some pics and info to post up for the hive mind to pick apart Geek after that.

andy van is a mate of my bro, and is local to where the van now is so hopefully he will stop me making stupid mistakes but once i know what im dealing with Aidan will be getting an email

max and caddy, it is yellow with a high top 
lived a bit north of herefordshire until now
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 14 at 22:05
Ok...it's not one I know then...good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply