The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snapped front drive shaft bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snapped front drive shaft bolt
    Posted: 04 Feb 14 at 19:18
Right i'm gonna try keep this short for a few reasons...mostly cos im angry!

But firstly ive bought a syncro,, yayyy...been a pipe dream for a while,..my pretend T4 syncro was shit. So it got broke.

2ndly big thanks to MrHutch some quality bricky support and advice in my hour of need. Bought a van, broke down after 30mins of driving it home. MrHutch got me off my upset arse in the AA recovery truck and got me doing some diagnostics...we worked out it was only a front drive shaft so i could put my lip back..inner came off the front diff flange..one bolt snapped, the rest got bent and fucked up. All threads are ok and intact, except the shot below which shows the snapped stud.

So i drilled it out, with a pilot, painfully,,missed the centre but figured it would be ok anyway..then went to 4mm drill bit but needed to get to 5mm for the tap. Anyway i had tried an extractor but it didnt work. Then my 5mm drill bit snapped off in that hole that was just over a cm deep. So yeah..im pretty fucked off right now.

CAN I pop off the blue cap and pull the flange plate off without removing the diff and fix this issue on the bench without removing the diff? THANKS

90 VW T3 Syncro Panel Stealth Camper

98 VW T4 Transporter 1200 LWB 2.4TD - Syncro wannabe
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 14 at 20:20
Yes. Pop,out the cap, circlip and dome washer behind, remove those and flange pulls off....maybe tight but will come with bars either side or a puller.
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 14 at 11:38
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

Yes. Pop,out the cap, circlip and dome washer behind, remove those and flange pulls off....maybe tight but will come with bars either side or a puller.

Cheers.

Got the cap off (need a new one now, where from?)

Then got the circlip off:

Couldnt pry it off so figured wait till i can borrow a good puller :)

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 14 at 19:31
So big thanks Dave Spiller...he saw this thread and got me this:

So went and got me self a three legged puller and got it set up:

Few turns later (and a socket on the end to make up the distance)

And new one cleaned up and popped on :D

Then cut old bolts out of old drive shaft cos they were bent and thouroughly degreased, cleaned and checked the CV joint...then fitted new boot...which wouldn't fit :(

Downed tools and on the vino now..hopefully I can get a boot tomorrow and get it back on the road since I optimisticaly bought road tax on Friday!

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 14 at 21:40
Smile  fuck me, progress!

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 14 at 23:56
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

Smile  fuck me, progress!

Haha and some more tomorrow too! Literally had no fucking time with work, social life and my other van lol

Really wanna fix it tomo so i can go out for a drive...but ive been told now i need one of these plates ffs

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 16:41
Well got some progress yesterday...slipped on a new track rod boot as whilst poking about found me old one was torn,,

though noticed my track rod end is split, another item on order then.. but more importantly I got my drive shaft built up: 

the attentive amongst you may notice its not the same boot as above..this is because this boot malarky was the first time I crossed this bridge and was trying to put the new style metal boot over the CV joint and it wouldnt fit...well no one told me I had to remove this: 

LOL so by this point I had already spat dummy out and put another boot on,,it was from my spare front drive shaft that didn't look too great on the outer boot but ok on this inner....also like my use of jubilee clips!

Anyway got it on, tightened every thing up, grabbed a battery threw it in, packed tools up in a sheet, chucked it in the back off I went for a spin..pretty much everything had gone to plan, sun was out, all was blinking good....till I went down the road Cry

straight line driving over speed bumps..clunk...then ok for bit then clunk... then clunk...feels like a bearing from that area,,..anyway for the corner of the road turns right 90 degrees and makes some more unpleasant noices,,feels like from diff below me feet...then turned left and it was horrid..lots of horrible noises...fuck. Angry

I dont know if diff lock actuator got damaged, or if vc is damaged, or if outer drive shaft got damaged,,,or if my cv joint rebuild went wrong, or what...well ive got a few things to try.

1) put some washers on end of drive shaft to mimick 5mm spacer plate above
2) jack van up on its side so one side wheels are in the air, chock other side, spin, see what happens.
3) hope and prey its not vc and or front diff Cry

Mrs hates it, just like she hated the last T3. 

Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 14 at 11:30
check the driveshaft nut is properly tight
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 14 at 11:45
will do cheers mate...i did use the clarke electric impact gun,, and held it on for a while lol i know i should torque it up to a given value (which i dont know) 

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 14 at 11:49
and Simon has put the front drive shaft spacers on his site so have ordered two of them, and have ordered a outer drive CV joint,, so will be rebuilding the spare shaft in the HOPE it is just the shaft somehow thats fucked. Ouch

Tonight I am getting the van jacked up on its side and spinng wheels...Shocked

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 17:17
well got van up, span some wheels, no probs with that..diff locks not engaging though so cant really test them..previous owner said it had a vac leak...

One good thing came out of this though,...found that lump hammer I was missing LOL which also quietened things down Clap but not enough..still have a problem on full lock, when turning left,,,noise is coming from diff / cv area....I have received some spacers today from brickwerks so will see if these help.

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 14 at 00:26
Spacer on, no different...rebuild spare drive shafts with two new joints is next

Fitted new track rod end, new non-return valve in an attempt to get difflocks engaging (no vacuum), propex heater and some awesome cree reverse lights,,,not all doom n gloom

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 23:44
Drive shaft with two new joints fitted, no better. Ive been advised the VC and/or the needle bearing on the input shaft to the VC has collapsed so next is to drop diff and see

Difflocks working though now, hoses were disconnected on front actuator, one had a split joint too. Something positive for today at least.

Post Reply Post Reply