The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smell from my seat!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smell from my seat!
    Posted: 13 Dec 16 at 10:21
Her in doors bought some furniture and it is ready for collection today.    I went in the garage too get the camper out which has been in hibernation since early september ...Except for 1 trip to wicks to get plaster board.       I opened the door and holly stink there was a horrible pong!....   First though was that maybe i'd not emptied the waste water...  But a quick sniff at the sink and that was fine.   Then a quick sniff of the chemical toilet encase i'd forgot to empty it...Fine..   a quick route about but the smell was every where and really acrid.  So strong I could'nt really say what the smell was.    Anyway it only just started.  Which i thought was odd as its been on the Ctec since being parked up.  Driving to work freezing to death with windows open every time i closed my window the smell was back, and seamed to engulf me immediately..    It reminded me of my work experience placement at Pembroke petrochemical labs.   A real sulfurous smell, i wan't sure if there was a whiff of burning wires in the mix.  I had to stop the van and have a fresh Sniff.      The smell was everywhere but i thought it was worse at the back of my seat.  Envisaging finding something rotting I moved the seat forward and nothing was to be seen.    But the battery was roasting hot.   I disconnected it lifted it out to see it was also leaking...  The condition window looked empty.     This battery was the original "petrol" starter battery.  When i fitted a TDI engine I also fitted a large battery in the engine bay.   So really only the rear battery was needed.  But still more batteries the better in my eyes :) in a camper.   So if you go camper and there is a horrendous smell  don't blame it on the dog or wife!  it might be your battery!   
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
Sharkybaby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharkybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 16 at 16:09
Yes my under seat battery was smelling bad,chocking fumes,turned out to be overcharging? On the back of the alternator there's a two prong charge limititer I think that was faulty £20 for a new one did it myself undo two screws just slot it n.brickwerks sell them.hope this helps.sound like your battery was faulty anyway?
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 16 at 16:31
I have a volt meter on the Scangauge thing and the alternator is not over changing.   The Ctech charger which had been connected I will check if its overdoing it a little but i just think the battery is dead.   While the camper was hibernating I  flick a switch so the previously 2 starter and 1 leisure battery are together and the 10 amp ctech maintains then all at once.     I had noticed at the end of the camping season the starter batteries would drop in voltage significantly after about a week, there seamed to have a battery drain I could not find.   I bet the now dead battery was loosing charge and sucking the life out of the larger battery in the engine bay.    
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharkybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 16 at 18:54
Whoops.:1)
craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 16 at 23:37
If both the large battery and smaller starter battery are connected together whilst charging?

The Ctek would only see the average of the 2 batteries i.e
if 1st was 11v and the 2nd was 12v = 11+12=23 /2 =11.5v

The Ctek would continually provide charge (it thinks its only 1 battery) and would lead to overcharging the smaller/weaker battery. 

Not a problem when camping and using power but when not using power over a prolonged period can be a problem with mis-matched batteries.

VW T3 1987 Westfalia Club Joker
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharkybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 16 at 08:44
Smell from my seat, my wife blames my farting!
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 16 at 09:52
Originally posted by craigy345 craigy345 wrote:

If both the large battery and smaller starter battery are connected together whilst charging?

The Ctek would only see the average of the 2 batteries i.e
if 1st was 11v and the 2nd was 12v = 11+12=23 /2 =11.5v

The Ctek would continually provide charge (it thinks its only 1 battery) and would lead to overcharging the smaller/weaker battery. 

Not a problem when camping and using power but when not using power over a prolonged period can be a problem with mis-matched batteries.

^^ that was my thoughts  
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 16 at 11:13
Its back to 1 battery now so it seams fine now.     The remaining battery is old.  It is an unknown brand, was well aged and came free with a car I broke for a AAZ, apparently 5 years ago!.   I'll keep an eye on it and see if its at the end of its life.   I had wondered about charging 2 unmatched batteries together. Interesting it could have been the remaining battery is the  naughty one causing the now expired one to die.   I guess i'll find out soon!   It started on the button this morning but it was only an over night rest and its tropical outside at the mo.      
craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 16 at 22:10
Charge up both batteries separately with the ctek.

This will show if any of the batteries are bad.

The Ctek will complete a number of different tests and cycles including bulk charge, float charge etc... and also a discharge assessment (if the battery can hold a charge or not) 

If it fails the above tests the Ctek will also re-condition it and attempt to bring it back to life.
But if it's smelling like you said, highly likely to be knackered.  
VW T3 1987 Westfalia Club Joker
 Post Reply Post Reply