Topic ClosedSerious Off Road T5 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious Off Road T5 conversion
    Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 14:13

http://www.seikel.de/de/4x4_show.php?info=download

Saw this on a US forum, thought some of you might find it interesting (portal axles for a big increase in ground clearance).  Scroll across to the right for the english translation.  The lower gearing is great for trickling across rough stuff and climbing steep hills, but would make highway high speed journeys a bit noisy and thirsty.

Enjoy, drool, or ignore as takes your fancy.

Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 14:27

ECB its Stan The Van harder brother  LOL

">

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 15:58
2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
shogun2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 11:04
Greg,
That's the one that Trakka sell. (And Brian in Melbourne should be getting)
bdrinoz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 12:33

The Trakka conversion (off road pak) is by Seikel, but not as radical as that one. The main difference seems to be in the wheels, which certainly look different. They are talking about a 1.5:1 final drive reduction, as well as much more ground clearance.  Sounds almost like some modern day version of the splitty reduction boxes. The Trakka pack seems to have everything else they are talking about, just not these funny wheels. Any-one know what's going on there?

PS, I've only ordered a 4 Motion with diff lock, not he off-road pack. See my other post under 'New Van Soon....'

Brian

Brian
Melbourne, Australia
1990 T3 syncro: (now sold)
T5 Trakkadu camper
Porsche 968CS
Smithy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 13:47
I think the 'funny' wheels stick out like they do so you can see them in your wing mirrors and they have that pattern on them so you can see which ones are spinning/turning or otherwise.....  
QuickLIME
130bhp SWB Panel
Ronal R47 Wheels - Lowered - Debadged - Perfect!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 15:01
Originally posted by bdrinoz bdrinoz wrote:

The Trakka conversion (off road pak) is by Seikel, but not as radical as that one. The main difference seems to be in the wheels, which certainly look different. They are talking about a 1.5:1 final drive reduction, as well as much more ground clearance.  Sounds almost like some modern day version of the splitty reduction boxes. The Trakka pack seems to have everything else they are talking about, just not these funny wheels. Any-one know what's going on there?

Seikel seem to using a portal axle conversion (similar to a Mercedes Unimog).  That gives them the huge increase in ground clearance because the centre of the wheel is now a lot lower than the centre of the drive axles.  It is probably also the source of the much lower gearing, and also the likely reason for the big wheels which stick out much further than standard. Inside the portal hub there is a small cog on top driven by the axle, and a larger cog underneath which drives the wheel (hence higher ground clearance and also lower gearing).  Most of the ones I've seen are a bit heavy and not suitable for high speed road driving (ie over 60mph or so), even if you do increase the gear box/diff ratios to compensate).  Also your stability is decreased as you raise the centre of gravity.

I imagine the conversion would be more than a little expensive, and would require re-certification with the relevant authorities to be road legal (not to mention getting it insured).

I haven't seen any info on Trakka doing such a hard-core off road conversion to T5s in Australia, the conversions I've seen seem to be mainly just a mild lift and slightly lower gearing to a stock T5. 

Mind you I am looking at it from the perspective of someone who has a significantly modified Landcruiser 4WD (proper low range transfer case, raised suspension, double diff locks, turbo charger etc etc) which would (almost certainly) outperform by a good margin the T5 I saw in the youtube clips in the earlier post.  There is a good reason why most serious 4WDers get vehicles with solid axles and locking differentials, they work better in really rough terrain (eg rocks & boulders) than almost all independant suspension  setups (unless you spend an absolute fortune on custom built long travel suspension in a "rock buggy" or similar).

Post Reply Post Reply