The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ring and pinion question...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratinyho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ring and pinion question...
    Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 19:48
Is the Syncro ring and pinion the same or different to non syncro t3 gearboxes...?
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 19:53
It's different. Basically it's longer for the drive going through into the nosecone for the propshaft etc.

MG
ratinyho View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratinyho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 20:04
Ok thanks....so if i wanted to change the gearing/strengthen the gearbox for a tdi conversion what would be my options? Not looking at anything mental just a 1Z or similar...
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 20:07
Hmmm, need more info on what we're talking about here.
Are you wanting to fit a TDi to a Syncro or 2WD bus? if it's a Syncro then it depends on what gearboxes are in it now (is it petrol or diesel?).
If it's running 5.43s (stock syncro 14 td) then it's a bit low for a TDi, if it's running 4.86s (stock syncro 14 petrol) then you're within reach and you should be able to add higher 3rd and 4th gears.

MG
ratinyho View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratinyho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 20:20
Ahhh sorry didn't make that at all clear did i!! LOL

Basically i have the chance on a 16td syncro. I would need it to be as 'useable' as my aaz panel van on the 3H box with slightly larger rear tyres..

The syncro i'm looking at is a standard 14 JX...if i were to locate the petrol ring and pinion,would i be right in thinking that the best option...along with slightly larger tyres?

If i were changing 3rd and 4th gear, would there be anything suitable from an old gearbox...or is it new only? If it's new then where abouts are they please?
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 20:56
Ok,

Firstly whatever you do with final drive to the gearbox, you need to do the same with the front diff so budget that in too.

The AAZ would be the cheapest option with 5.43s (which is what should be in the 16td syncro you're looking at buying).

For a TDi conversion, yes you'd need 4.86s minimum with higher 3rd and 4th (along with a V 2nd gear which is standard in all AV* code gearboxes). Aidan will be able to give you some ideas on prices but it's impossible to say until you have the gearbox in pieces in front of you and you can say what needs replacing. Bigger tyres will help also and yes this is one of the best options. The other is using 4.57s but they're fairly rare. That said, if you end up having to go with new ring/pinions, the price will be the same.

Re-prices, Aidan is in the best position to give you up to date prices as he's dealing with this day in/out.

Yes there will always be bits will are useful from your old gearboxes, there is a variety of things which can and do go wrong with our gearboxes and parts are hard to get and expensive.

MG
 Post Reply Post Reply