The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing vaves in AMC heads?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FannyBawz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing vaves in AMC heads?
    Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 18:00
Quick question - if I want to replace the valves on an AMC head with VW parts, will I need to get the seats recut or can I just lap them in?
Just wondering how the work involved in improving the AMC heads would compare to getting my originals refurbed...

Thanks

David
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 19:27
if its like for like then lapping them will work if its a different valve seat angle then they need re-cutting then lapping.
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
FannyBawz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FannyBawz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 20:31
Yeah that's the trouble, I dunno if AMC use the same seat angles as the originals!
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 17 at 08:17
I've got a brand new AMC head here for an AAZ - they look like straight copies so it would make sense that the valve seats are the same? Hope so anyway!

Edited by ob1 - 16 Jan 17 at 08:18
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 17 at 10:54

Use a little bit of engineers blue on one of the valves and spin/lap it a couple of times in the head, (hand lap not electric drill!), you'll soon see if the valve face angle and seat angle are the same or not, by whether the blue trace left on them is on the full width of the seat or just the high spot.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
 Post Reply Post Reply