The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Gutter Sealant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pw2904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Gutter Sealant
    Posted: 08 Jun 15 at 19:07
Hi all, I am in the process of digging out the sealant in the guttering on my Westy Hi-top but I'm really struggling. I can't currently fit an awning to the van as I would like. Second to that I'm having some parts of the van painted next Monday, the gutter being part of it. 

I know it is a pig of a job but does anyone have any advice that could make this problem easier? The gutters were full when I bought it. I've started digging it out (managed about 20cm in 3 hours) and it appears whoever filled it up just went over the old sealant. 

Are there any products I can use to soften sealant without damaging the paint and the fibreglass

Are there any tools other than a Stanley blade and a ton of patience that might make the task easier?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 15 at 21:43

What about something like this?

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
pw2904 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pw2904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 15 at 08:47
Hi Chappy thanks for the recommendation, I am not sure it would work though as I can barely run a flat head screwdriver down the gutter because the of the hightop, I am beginning to think persevering with manual labour is the only way! 

GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 15 at 17:08
A lino cutting tool should work, as used for cutting/carving in lino print blocks:

Mind your fingers when your using it though, I've got bad memories of gouging chunks out of my fingers at school! LOL
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 15 at 21:56

How about these?

Click

Click

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 15 at 22:09
http://www.lt1-forum.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start:reparaturtips:regenrinne_sanieren

A VoLT member has just spent twenty hours removing his roof.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 21:26
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

http://www.lt1-forum.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start:reparaturtips:regenrinne_sanieren

Bloody hell! Shocked  Don't fancy doing that very much!

Look like the Flo is getting some bodyshop attention over the winter, so my plan is to remove some of the sealer with the reciprocating/vibrating tool, finish with a 'U' shaped gouge/chisel and then reseal with s i k a flex before it gets painted.

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 21:46
I do not think there is much chance of water getting under all that sealant really. 

The rust I found was all from the seams under the gutters and the holes that the previous owner had seen fit not to seal, just bung a self-tapper into.Pinch 

They were only holding the awning strip on to the GRP roof, ?What could possibly go wrong?
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
pw2904 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pw2904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 15 at 00:21
Just a quick update, got most of it out by slicing it with a Stanley and cutting it with a 6mm chisel, I haven't had much luck where the gutter lips round back on itself but we've fashioned a tool from an old scraper which seems to be doing an ok job. I'm going to pick up the Lino cutting tool that was mentioned above in the morning... I'll let you know how I get on. I'm no expert but I think the rust I have is all superficial on the outside of the van. Everything looks and feels solid from my limited experience and knowledge on the subject!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 15 at 17:07

Pics please! Big smile
pw2904 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pw2904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 15 at 18:14
Lino cutting tool would have worked lovely if it fitted into the gutter, if I had more time I would have fashioned something to hold the cutters as it was the handle that obstructed it from being used. Alas it is out of time and I've taken it to the bodyshop now for its patch up of paintwork. Once completed he's going to refill the gutters 3/4's full as per the original Westy spec so hopefully I'll be able to attach an awning to it properly and have a nice neat finish. Here's what the cleared out gutters looked like pre-paint job. I've got some pics at work of the van before I started meddling with it that shows the old rust and gutters so I'll upload them when I get a minute. Thanks as always for the help and advice, one day I might have enough useful experience to offer some back! 

Post Reply Post Reply