The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REMAPPING?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 20:18
what would be great is to hear from a few folks who have had remapped vans for a while and have covered 30k or more since remapping . We all know they go better but for how long .
Is the reason we never read these stories because theremapped vans have cost the owners money and they don't like to admit it . Embarrassed
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 22:41
Ok my van has done 53k miles, it was remapped at 3k miles, the only problems i,ve had with it was oil cooler, egr valve and a sensor on the exhaust, all where replaced under warranty.
I think its fair to say that the remap did not cause these problems.
I,ve had no problems with the clutch, driveshafts, gearbox etc, most of the time i drive the van steady but its nice to know you have the power just in case Wink.
For some reason i cant post the vans dyno results but if anybody would like to view them pm me and i will email them, maybe they can figure out how to post them on here.  

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 23:13
Originally posted by triple triple wrote:

Ok my van has done 53k miles, it was remapped at 3k miles, the only problems i,ve had with it was oil cooler, egr valve and a sensor on the exhaust, all where replaced under warranty.
I think its fair to say that the remap did not cause these problems.
I,ve had no problems with the clutch, driveshafts, gearbox etc, most of the time i drive the van steady but its nice to know you have the power just in case Wink.
For some reason i cant post the vans dyno results but if anybody would like to view them pm me and i will email them, maybe they can figure out how to post them on here.  
At Last Tongue thats good news  , and do you know what or who's map you have .
Got my egr valve blanked off so that should isolate that useless little beast .

Ha HA do you ever wonder when you look at the ever complicated maze of pipes and conectors etc under a modern bonnet , just how uncluttered it could all becomeif the not needed stuff was removed , like EGR Cat Dpf etc etc , would be like going back to the 80's again LOL

Edited by kernow - 11 Mar 10 at 23:14
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
exocet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exocet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 10:42
Hi,
I'm not at 30K since my remap yet, but I have done at least a good 15K + since I had it done! so far no problems (fingers crossed). I did few long journeys now to the south of France with large amount of windsurf /paddle board on top, Bike at the back plus 2 ski trips and
so far so good, I was well impressed going up the ski resort, the van cruse at 80MPH + on the French motorway with no problem (mine is the 85bhp remapped by Pendel performance to 115bhp).

No regrets so far
simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 21:54
Nearly 30 K after remapping my 174, nearly allways towing and no problems.
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 22:19
Only had the van remapped for 10k so far but had my previous car (volvo v40 1.9TD) remapped by celtic from 70k and I sold it at 123k and had zero engine problems apart from a clutch which was due to be replaced anyway.

BTW as we discussed in a previous thread celtic give bhp figures from the engine (as the manufacturers do, whereas most tuners only quote power increases from the wheels and when you compare the two they are pretty much the same.

I know LOADS of people who have had remaps on various diesels and covered HUGE mileages. One friend brought his 54 plate 130 T5 at 130k, had it remapped by revo and I believe has done 100k since with nothing other than standard services and a rear suspension part that failed.

As said before its about how you drive, there are plenty of people out there who drive slowly but with little mechanical understanding, poor clutch control etc and parts on their cars will wear out before someone who drives fast with a remapped engine but with a mind on smooth driving and just knowing how to treat a car properly.

Dave
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 22:43
cheers guys , and isn't it good to hear from the T5 owners who haven't had a problems for a change .
the silent majority me thinks Wink
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 22:26
At Last Tongue thats good news  , and do you know what or who's map you have .
Got my egr valve blanked off so that should isolate that useless little beast .

Ha HA do you ever wonder when you look at the ever complicated maze of pipes and conectors etc under a modern bonnet , just how uncluttered it could all becomeif the not needed stuff was removed , like EGR Cat Dpf etc etc , would be like going back to the 80's again LOL
[/QUOTE]

Yep my van has a pendleperformance remap.
You,re right about how complicated modern vehicles are, it was,nt that long ago i used to do all my own maintenance, filters, brakes, headgasket i,d have a go, but now its all to complicated for me.

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 23:10
on a positive note we don't have a cam belt to worry about . Cambelts on some vehicles were always the great levelers that sorted out the diy mechanics .  Now its just electrickery and factory induced mystery . From what I hear the T5 is actually easier to work on then the old t4
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 23:42
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

on a positive note we don't have a cam belt to worry about .

Just to clarify, on pre-FL T5's the 2.5 5cyl diesels don't have a cam belt, BUT the 2.0 4 cyls do have a cam belt, and IIRC the latest advice from VW is that it needs to be changed every 4 years, regardless of distance driven (but that particular story seems to change every other month).  If a cam belt lets go it can be a very expensive repair job, so not worth taking the risk.

I don't know whether the latest 4 cyl TDI engines (eg the 180ps twin turbo) have a cam belt or not (the latest petrol engines don't).
lightning storm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightning storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 10 at 10:30
I 'know of' an Audi A4 '98 which was remapped by Derv Doctor. From 115 Bhp to 145Bhp. It covered over 100K miles with the modification with no undue side effects. It was driven quite hard during those miles too. Engine stayed strong, very tractable and reliable.
The same should be able to be applied to the VW engine too. I cant see too many problems with a remap, only positive gains.
5.2TDi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.2TDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 10 at 12:26
Mine's only done 12k miles & still in warranty, but those flat spots were shite. So sod it couldn't resist - remapped. I'm silly like that!

Only time will tell if van will last, but it'll be enjoyable finding out - bit like life, party on & don't worry about old age Beer
Pax View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 10 at 21:16
i had my sportline kombi remaped at around 2k ,,,its very quick ,,very quick, abd i think its sounds like it draws in alot of air sometimes on revdown, but it might be that i rag it,
since the remap ive done 5k and its still going strong ,,, had to laugh though,,,
when i took it into a vw dealer to have the caravelle light fitted i asket one of the fitters to test drive it cos i thought i heard a knocking sound comming from the front end ,,,,i was sitting with a salesman when he walked in and he just stood next to me and said F**k me thats the fastest sportline ive ever been in ,,, thats not standard shurely, he says, i had to laugh but it was a proud moment 4 me ....
what im saying is this ,,,, they might not detect it on their computers but all they have to do is drive it and they will know!,,
59plate black 174 sportline kombi, remaped to 215bhp caravelle headlights and eyebrows,,, mean mutha fukka...widely known as lynford
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 10 at 17:50
as soon as i can get the money to do a remap and persuad herindoors that its justifaible on economy grounds then ill deffo be doin it, i like the idea of smootinh out the power and gettin better mpg
i did look at getting the software an doin it meself but im not to sure where to get it from,
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

i had a 174 T5 you know..or was it a T4?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 10 at 22:39
I had my 174 remapped by buying a new ECU and having that reworked to 215bhp only to find that you have to know the donor vehicle details before you can swop ECUs, anyway I have a very good VW dealer that helped me. Anyway still have my 174 ecu which is perfect and was removed when I had 24k on the clock, ANYBODY WANT TO BUY IT? I have gone back to T4s got pissed off with the T5 breaking down it was crap.  Oh I did do a good mod !! put small self tappers in the turbo boost pipe cus it kept blowing off, self tappers in the alloy were the spring clip goes did the trick.
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 14:59
I fitted a plug-in chip to my T4 at 100k km and went on to cover another 300k km before I sold it.  The makers claimed +25% power and torque.  I never had a problem, but the engine was 102 hp gutless to start with - Audis with the same engine had much more, so I considered the chip a risk worth taking.

I'm not convinced with the T5 174 - my drive-shaft failed at 80k miles!  If that's down to my driving-style, why didn't my big mileage T4 break?

2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 21:13

I'm not convinced with the T5 174 - my drive-shaft failed at 80k miles!  If that's down to my driving-style, why didn't my big mileage T4 break?

[/QUOTE]
because your T5 had almost twice the power and torque and you used it Confused 
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 21:26
I bought a new T5 kombi 174  and had big ideas had it for about a year fitted new struts with fast air bags all round spent a fortune on it BUT !! got pissed of with it breaking down every 3 weeks on average - Turbo boost pipe blows off, windows leak, electrics fail, plastic falls off everywere, The Engine with it's chain driven cams is great but the electrics are rubbish the ecu registers everything even the top speed you have done, all ready for plod to plug in and nick you at a later date I expect !!   Nah give me a well proven T4 any day.   FACT the T5 was late  very late and was launched well before it was ready Tip do not buy a 2003 2004 T5 as they are untested parts bin specials  (In short don't buy a T5 that does not have the central locking button in with the window/mirror switch. The early ones they forgot to intergrate the central locking button inside these are the ones that are crap -  Trust me !!!!!!
Still got a 174 ECU if anyone wants one ? came with the van new - replaced it with a remapped one.

Edited by OOO 2 LOW - 16 Jun 10 at 21:44
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 22:34
Originally posted by OOO 2 LOW OOO 2 LOW wrote:

the ecu registers everything even the top speed you have done, all ready for plod to plug in and nick you at a later date I expect !!  

But I did that "Top Speed" on a private road...........Wink
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:04
So - you get stopped on the M1  Plod pulls you over - plugs in and says wow ! 130 mph - yes officer you should see the length of my driveway.  Ok I'll let you off this time but wait untill we have speed limiters  in you ecu -  activated by motorway speed signs - No officer you need to cover your wages with fines it will never happed - Right you smart ass  let me see your service records on this vintage Vw T5 you know it is the law to have your vehicle serviced and your book stamped up to date since we done away with MOT's in 2020.   Enjoy your freedom while you can boys !!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>