The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remapping a 174 auto, can the gearbox take it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remapping a 174 auto, can the gearbox take it?
    Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 11:40
Anyone remapped a 174 tiptronic auto?

Any gearbox problems since?

In 2004, the 6spd auto is rated for 400Nm maximum, so is right on the limit supposedly.The manual 6spd gearbox is rated for 500Nm max.
Have they upped the gearbox ratings since then?

pages 41 and 43
1.60 MB pdf

This is just as an interested bystander,you understandSmile
I can afford driveshafts , but not gearboxes.

Edited by Rebuild - 26 Feb 13 at 11:51
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 12:30
Sorry for the lack of input, but, I take it that VW make one of these documents for every vehicle. Do you know where you can get them for others? Specifically the VW Caddy and the VW Golf R32.

Cheers
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 13:17
no idea, seen these before posted on here for the T5.
I just googled for VW selfstudy
eg

they're not all in English though

Edited by Rebuild - 26 Feb 13 at 13:26
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 13:25
Thats brilliant. Cheers fella.
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 23:41
I don't know how to interpret that information , It states the gearbox can transmit 400nm of torque or 500 in the manual . I am not sure that means thats its max working load , otherwise we would be seeing lost of gearbox failures especially in the auto's . In a vehicle that is rated to tow 2500kg plus its payload there is no way the gearbox could only be just capable of dealing the engine power .  Surely if that were the case as soon as some chav dropped the clutch a bit hard with a full load they would just break .

I think the transporters high power in a comercial needs to used with sympathy , it may be 175 hp or more but if you drive it like a GTI when loaded something has to give . With a remap more thought needs to be given to the way you drive if you don't want a broken van . Same as a big motorbike , it takes the power ok  but wears out quick if you use it hard  
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 13 at 07:13
I'm sure there is some safety factor in Aisin/VW's design, but it does state it is the maximum for each gearbox.
But as you say, longevity of a remapped vehicle does also depend on the way you drive it

Edited by Rebuild - 27 Feb 13 at 07:16
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
jim potter View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 13 at 07:17
r32's and caddy both remap very very well. my freind has a t5 that im about to look at 2.5 tdi , so i assume its the same as the o/e poster .

key maybe to not induce to much trq low down, but a nice mid range waft
Full vcds ,vag tacho,
immo removal ( postal service avalible ), ecu remapping , spanners and a garage for anyone that wants any help, kettle always on.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 13 at 21:10
if you are a racer a remap is potentially dangerous IMO but then so is driving a van in that way . i don't hang around in my van and the remap is amazing with the extra diveability and linear power .
Ok it will hang on to the power right to the red line and is faster than many other vehicles on the road like tdv6 land rover and the older golf GTi . if i went round proving that every day iam sure it would get expensive
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
jim potter View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 13 at 21:24
yep drive like a twat, and something will break at some point.

but use the extra trq / power as intended and it will be a far superior drive

Full vcds ,vag tacho,
immo removal ( postal service avalible ), ecu remapping , spanners and a garage for anyone that wants any help, kettle always on.
-mojo- View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -mojo- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 13 at 16:56
Originally posted by jim potter jim potter wrote:

use the extra trq / power as intended

I suspect this is one area where an auto box may be an issue. Unless you manually override it, the auto box is likely to change to higher gears (which are less able to take high torque) sooner than you would choose to do if you had a manual box.

Unless it's possible to "remap" the auto box, I don't see a way around that (potential) problem.

I don't intend to find out. When/if I get a remap for EGR & DPF delete, I will specify no more power than standard, as a rebuild on a DSG is not something I want to contemplate...
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 13 at 23:36
DSG is a totally different gearbox.Haven't seen the torque ratings for those

Have since found this,where someone mentions a trans going into limpmode if it detects overtorque.Never heard of this.

Edited by Rebuild - 02 Mar 13 at 01:58
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply