The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

red hot exhaust manifold - lt40 2.4 petrol/lpg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 18 at 21:02
That sounds much better.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 18 at 21:16
Your getting closer like you say but it needs to be right after all the work you have done.
I'd consider contacting HH as suggested and maybe send them the old dizzy.
They might be able to modify the dizzy to take account of the higher compression and modified pistons.
My gut feeling is that it is the mods that have increased the vacuum, so even a new dizzy is still going to be wrong.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 07:53
So vacuum only needed at idle then? Leave it disconnected and plug the hose?
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 11:33
The Vacuum set up is a funny thing. Yesterday night I took it out for a small drive with a vacuum gauge on it. The vacuum is definitely increasing dramatically when you open the throttle up.

Then we swapped the vacuum ports for the advance and the choke.....an all of a sudden its doing normal stuff again. As if it was plugged into the incorrect port, which it most definitely wasn't.

My main concern though, as I took it out at night, is that the manifold still glows cherry red when you are sustained above 3000rpm. 

This can't be retarded ignition, because i can see exactly how advanced It is. So only other things is that its running too lean at high speed or has blocked exhaust.

I'm starting to think that the modification that was made to my carburettor is the problem. This glowing manifold only tends to happen when you are driving on the top end of the engines capability with throttle fully open as if it gets leaner the faster you go. 

The mod we made to the carb was to make the second venturi valve open mechanically instead of with the 2nd stage throttle vacuum which was knackered on mine. So when you put your foot down, both butterfly valves open at the same time, instead of sequentially as it would have been with the vacuum activated throttle. As I understand it, that second butterfly valve in venturi number 2 should only ever open with its vacuum right at the top and of the throttle range. Meaning that potentially im sucking too much air in too early.

Of course the chap that helped me to modify the carb would say this isn't the problem, but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Also, if i think back far enough I think the two events coincided. The modification and soon after, my noticing the cherry red exhaust.

I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 11:41
Yes you are correct. Too lean up top. Hence red exhaust manifold.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 11:46
Try and put the carb back to how it was originally or have the second stage choke opening later via modifying your linkage.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 11:49
Cant revert unfortunately. We really changed how it works but I presume it might be possible to adjust it so that it opens later. I'll try. 

I suppose that would also increase the amount of vacuum to that port....hence the vacuum doing weird things.

T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 12:04
Correct. Bigger jets for more fuel?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 12:20
thats what my mate reckons too. Bigger jets. But now we are in the realms of something I have no idea how to achieve.

T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 12:46
Another good carb? More money again!You almost there.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 13:06
The only thing that makes me question if that is the sole contributor to the exhaust glowing red is that it also happens when running on gas. This obviously doesn't use the jets in the carb at all but still gets the exhaust red hot at the top end.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 14:31
Disconnect the linkage on the carb and increase the gas via the adjustment valve.
See if it still runs hot. As you say no jets etc being used but you are still pulling air in via both chokes.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 14:38
You could try these guys http://www.carburettorhospital.co.uk/

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 15:33
Tnx andy. Ill try them tmrw morning. Today Im jacking it up and testing for breaks binding. Then if they are nice and freely spinning ill take it for another drive with the second stage throttle disconnected.

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 08:09
Originally posted by nooberdoober nooberdoober wrote:

S'OK mate but no, I'm not sure of the diesel timings. My book is only for the petrol.

No problems, your a knowledgeable guy and wondered if you had them at hand....I was under pressure at the time as my van was in bits and I'm going on holiday in it later this week......

Keep up the good work it's a great thread.....

Rob
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 08:50
I feel you man, life doesnt pause for you just cos your LT isn't doing what it should. Did you find what you were looking for?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 13:27
I wonder, does anyone have any idea where in the world it's possible to find exhaust pipes for these monsters? Is it going to have to be another "make my own" adventure?

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 13:51
I remember topics about this and I think it was either ebay or the german ebay, not silly money either. Personally I'd go stainless cos you'll be keeping the LT.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 14:17
Tnx again andy. Daft, I didn't think to check ebay. Turns out i can get just the centre box for 72squid delivered from chesterfield. I've ordered it for now to rule out exhaust as a problem and will look at a nicer long term solution when I have the energy and the spirit to get through it. :) Bloody LTs

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 18 at 17:03
Just had it tested for emissions at idle on Petrol.
Results as follows:

Idling at 1150rpm

CO was high first time around at 4.53 when it should have been less than 4.50
Second test after two quarter turn adjustments of the CO screw brought it down to 2.33

HC was fine on both tests and came out at 234 out of a possible 1200

He also seemed to think that a red exhaust was not too worrying but I've bought a bunch of titanium fibre exhaust wrap and some tin shroud to protect the wooden coach-built underbelly from potential fires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>