The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuild woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuild woes
    Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 12:47
Hello,
I have a six cylinder non turbo diesel with hydraulic valve lifters
I had a cam belt failure and replaced valves etc.
I have rebuilt the engine.
Set the engine to TDC using the small line with an O on it on the flywheel against the pointer.
I took off the injector pump drive sprocket on the camshaft and lined up the groove with the head ensuring the lobes on No1 cylinder where pointing obliquely upwards.
I have lined up the marks on the injector pump with the grooves in the injector drive pulley.
Bled all the injector lines.
The darling thing still won’t start.
Tried easy start down the inlet chamber and got a big whoosh and flames but no combustion.
Am I missing something?
My Haynes is for a petrol of course.
I have used a Volvo manual but it seems to be a different fuel pump to mine.
Any help would be great.
Thank you
Michael
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 14:40
Don't know diesels mate but you could download the engine manual while someone gets back to you
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 17:04
When you switch on the ignition make sure solenoid wire to the injector pump becomes live. Make sure solenoid is working, should click when ignition turned on and off.
Kindasquirrelly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 17:29
Thank you, I made that mistake early on when there was no diesel coming through when I was bleeding it.
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 18 at 22:48
Definetely download the manual, the camshaft timing is set with a bar through a slot in the camshaft so its possible you might have this slightly off which would explain why it won't run on easy start.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 18 at 07:04
Are heater plugs working? If they are then it has to be timing.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 18 at 17:58
Hello,
Thank you for all the help. I have checked out the above.
I decided to ask advice in the pub which was really helpful. Like ‘I’ll tell you if you buy me a pint’ or ‘why don’t fish drown’? Anyway someone asked how I had flames coming out of the inlet tube on a diesel when I squirted in easy start.
When I rebuilt the hydraulic tappets I filled them with oil. I wonder if they might be holding the valves open slightly?
Also it spins over really easily. I reckon cam and buckets out next. Oh the joy.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 18 at 19:51
Shouldn't have to remove them! The oil will drain out of them anyway when oil pressure has dropped.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 18 at 20:05
Recheck your timing.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 16:28
Hello,
Well I ignored your good advice and took all the buckets out and drained them of oil, rebuilt it and................................ No difference, you were right they do just collapse when there is no oil pressure. Tried some more Easy Start a few whoops and then a massive bang and loads of black smoke out of the exhaust! Think it was full of fuel. It made the dog scarper!
Could it be the fuel pump out of synch? I have the marks on the pulley lined up with the marks on the pump body when the slot in the end of the cam is horizontal to the head face.
I have done as you said and checked that all the timings are correct. How do I check it is squirting say into No1 cylinder when it is supposed to?. Any advice gratefully received.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 16:49
definitely sounds like timing out even the dog would agree! I will search the web and see where the marks should be. I am pretty sure same as 5 cyl diesel. Recently done a cambelt and water pump on the 6 cyl and parts were the same as the 5 cyl.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 17:23
I have a 5 cyl diesel engine here in pieces, looked at the pump marks. You can't go wrong there as its straightforward. Sprocket mark lines up with line on top of the pump. However on the camshaft side things are very different. Remove that sprocket turn engine to align slot with top of cyl head. You should be able to lock the camshaft by sliding special tool in slot at tdc. If you can't then timing out on front belt. After that fit rear camshaft sprocket, this has no keyway so pay special attention when tightening the bolt, make sure sprocket does not turn.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 17:26
The back belt cover has a mark on it for the rear camshaft sprocket. Sounds more complicated than it is. Goodluck.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 17:31
Thank you.
I believe I have been following that guidance as it sounds the same as the information in the manual.
As I am racking my brains for an answer as to why it won’t even attempt to fire I have turned my attention to the pump.
Could someone have put the pump sprocket in a different alignment?
So that it is not squirting into the right cylinder at the right time?
Thank you
Michael
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 17:36
Remove the sprocket from the pump to see if key is ok? This is tapered and keyed.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 17:37
By the way both rear sprockets are the same.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 18:47
Turns over quick = No compression.
Possibly valves are open = timing wrong.

P.S. If timing is wrong then you risk damage.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 19:25
Thank you,
I agree.
It cranks quickly and occasionally smoke curls out of the inlet chamber.
I have taken the front cam pulley off twice to check I have it timed properly.
On another front, I have been reading elsewhere about putting clear tubing on the injector lines and turning the pump over by hand to see if it is bubble free and injecting when it should.
Thank you.
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 22:15
If it's a six cylinder diesel the manual states that the Cam timing is set using a setting plate on the rear of the camshaft with the injection pump pulley removed.  The front pulley is only secured once the correct position is achieved.  Is this how you have checked the Camshaft timing?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 23:15
Yes there is an offset grove that a 5mm plate slots into that sits on the lip of the cyl head so that it has to be correctly set.
Thank you for your input.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>