Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear wheel nuts??!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
King Of The Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badryder_666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear wheel nuts??!!
    Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 14:14

hi to all,

im very new to this site so please bare with me!!Confused

help help help

im curently on with trying to fit some new wheels to my twin slider but struggling with the rear!! the wheels are 114.3 autustrada monzas. ive re bored the stud holes slightly so they now fit over the studs, BUT i cant get the wheel studs to seat corectley!! i need m14 1.5mm wobble nuts? which i cant get? so i thought about skimming the wheel by 5mm and getting 15mm adaptors as i needed 10mm spacers anyway. but not sure how the adaptors would fit as there nuts not flat studs??!! could i get a new rear hub?? custom??
any help would be great??

cheers ben

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 14:19
Oh dear oh dear! Ouch

Sorry but you'll find that this isn't the place for you...try www.bodge.com
badryder_666 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
King Of The Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badryder_666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 14:53
Good one thanks. 😚
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 19:04
Originally posted by badryder_666 badryder_666 wrote:

im curently on with trying to fit some new wheels to my twin slider but struggling with the rear!! the wheels are 114.3 autustrada monzas. ive re bored the stud holes slightly so they now fit over the studs, BUT i cant get the wheel studs to seat corectley!! i need m14 1.5mm wobble nuts? which i cant get? so i thought about skimming the wheel by 5mm and getting 15mm adaptors as i needed 10mm spacers anyway. but not sure how the adaptors would fit as there nuts not flat studs??!! could i get a new rear hub?? custom??
any help would be great??

cheers ben

As youve discovered... opening up the bolt hole does not change the PCD

Theyre a lovely wheel... but not sure if theyre worth the effort to be honest.

Unless you have wells put in the back of the wheels (indents in the castings between the mounting holes) you'll struggle with a 15mm adaptor. Cos the studs protrude 25mm from the drum. So you'll have at least 10mm of stud/nut sticking out of the adaptor.

Wobble nuts i wouldnt entertain on a 2t van... 

I'd be selling them to someone with a jap car unless you really want that wheel

Edited by Tee3 - 26 Apr 12 at 19:06

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 20:30
Mechanic?!! I would have thought you may have some sense regarding safety  Confused
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Groupie
Groupie
King Of The Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badryder_666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 21:35
Young mechanic lol. I don't think there's much wrong in what I've done to be fare?? Never used wobble bolts so not sure!!
Groupie
Groupie
King Of The Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badryder_666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 21:43
Cheers tee3.
I love the wheels tho it's such a shame. 3 piece splits 10.5 rears 8.5 front with a lil stretch!!! Uummm!! They do have gaps between the stud holes so I think adapters will work?? Going to finish bags first then worry about wheels.
God it's melting my brain!! Lol cheers geez. 😁😁😲
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 21:52
Surely now you've essentionly 'slotted' your bolt holes? how are you going to get your bolts/nuts to seat correctly?
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 21:53

Cheers tee3.
I love the wheels tho it's such a shame. 3 piece splits 10.5 rears 8.5 front with a lil stretch!!! Uummm!! They do have gaps between the stud holes so I think adapters will work?? Going to finish bags first then worry about wheels.
God it's melting my brain!! Lol cheers geez. 😁😁😲
Couldn't you get adapters to start with? now you have slotted bolt holes to deal with
Groupie
Groupie
King Of The Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badryder_666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 21:57
I've only gone 2mm bigger on the stud holes so there still tapered!! Vw T3 is 112 I think and the Monzas 114.3. It'll be fine the studs will still sit perfectly. Just going to have to get adaptors.

Ben.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 22:17
What's the offset of these wheels?

Would I be right in saying ET20 for the 10.5's and ET15 for the 8.5's?

If so they were never going to fit a T3 in the first place...even with bodgewobble bolts and even more so now you need adaptors!

Wacko

Edited by Steve B - 26 Apr 12 at 22:23
Groupie
Groupie
King Of The Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badryder_666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 23:29
In that case mate your going to be gobsmaked!!
They fit mint!! Great stance.
Will get some pics up ASAP

Ben.
Groupie
Groupie
King Of The Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badryder_666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 23:32
With 15mm adaptors on rear and 25mm front. 😝😡

Im not stupid!!

Just a little silly.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 23:37
So what are the offsets before I am gobsmacked?
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 23:44
Are you thinking excesive bearing load and un even tyre wear... and the rest! Steve?
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 23:51
He seems to be confident that they do infact "fit"?

I've asked twice for the offsets with no reply so who knows....
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 00:30

with a lil stretch!!!

there is no hope for humankind
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 08:18

Cheers tee3.
I love the wheels tho it's such a shame. 3 piece splits 10.5 rears 8.5 front with a lil stretch!!! Uummm!! 

10.5 rears on a twin slider... you know the doors arent going to open I assume?
As Steve says, you need to know the offset of the wheels before even considering adaptors... If the offset is too low to begin with you lower it by fitting any kind of spacer/adaptor. Too low an offset will shove the wheels even further out of the arch... weird handling and probably hammer your bearings.

Shaving 5mm off the back of the wheel isnt really a good idea. Youre taking 5mm of metal away from the bolt seats... how much does that leave you with?

Oh... stretch tyres... each to their own. Again, not on a 2t van!

You might be sensing a little opposition to your plans LOL... not because we dont like fitting wheels, we've all done it. You need to do it safely though... There are a lot of wheels that fit a lot easier.
To be fair though I dont think ive ever seen a set of those on a T3 

Edited by Tee3 - 27 Apr 12 at 08:19

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Groupie
Groupie
King Of The Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badryder_666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 09:05
As you lower the van the wheels set in anyways!! A lot of people won't agree regardless especially after seeing what I've done to the suspension!! Grinding anda choping grinding anda choping!! Lol. I'm not scared of what people think. I like been the odd ball. Just a lil stretch ye. Recently been running a195.45.15 on my 10.5 inch wide bbs!! Great!! Got real boring very quick tho!! As for the doors like I say I ain't stupid or blind I no what I have to do. I was just after a bit of advice about the rear? Hoping that someone could tell me something usefull?!😂😂 not sure I'm getting what I joined this site for?!

Cheers all. No hard feelings ye
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 09:28

not sure I'm getting what I joined this site for?!

I agree!
Chopping vans about and doing modifications with total disregard for safety isn't what we're about here so you may be better off on a more suitable forum that's more into form rather than function!

The fact you're allowed to work on other peoples vehicles is worrying!Ouch

Still no offsets as well so I'll remain ungobsmacked.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>