The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear wheel arche differences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear wheel arche differences
    Posted: 28 Mar 16 at 21:52
Hello good people. I've just bought my first LT 4x4. The excitement has quickly subsided after trying to hunt down parts for it...Wouldn't be the same if it was too easy I guess.

I do have one major concern...it seems to have a difference rear wheel arch when looking inside the van...

Like it could be a double wheel axle of some type. I.e the metal wheel arch (rear) on the inside of the van that forms over the wheel is twice the width of other LT's I've seen.

Can I just grind off and weld a plate down? Otherwise it will really hamper my camper layout as takes up a considerable amount of room.

This is probably a stupid question but do other LT mk1 panels fit the LT40? If so where could I get new/old panels from?

Now to find a high top Florida roof...
asiormax View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asiormax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 16 at 23:43
VW LT28 2,4TD SVEN HEDIN WESTFALIA

mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 16 at 11:50
4x4's are based on the twin-wheeled LT40 or 45, that's why it has the wide arches.
Most panels are the same, except the arch/fender-flares. And if it's a conversion, the front wheel arches are bigger.

Stefan
De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 16 at 12:01
Thanks for the replies. Makes sense...

Does this mean that I can chop the arch inside the van down and re-weld to shorten them?

Thanks, David.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 16 at 18:39

I wouldn't think it would be a problem as long as you make sure you leave it wide enough to clear the wheel/tyre on full axle articulation, dont forget that the wheel/tyre will move inwards at the top on full axle articulation if you intend actually taking it offroad.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 16 at 19:41
Cutting the inner section off has been done, just do not think I have proof.

Floridas are short wheelbase, whereas 4x4 chassis are long. A lot of work.

Welcome though. HandshakeBeer
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 16 at 21:09
Thanks

I have 2 kids so figured fitting a Florida roof with the nice big bed would be perfect.

I'll probably regret trying soon after I start but needs must.

I can handle extending the roof section in the middle but it's how to deal with the roof only allowing for the shorter rear doors that I'm concerned. I wonder if it's as easy as fitting shorter Florida rear doors. I hope so cause modifying the rear of the roof to fit the longer doors on my van looks very daunting indeed.

I'm likely going to Germany to collect a complete Florida interior next weekend. Can anybody recommend anyone who I could pay to fit the Florida interior into my LT40 4x4? I'm in UK but don't mind going further afield.

Is it wrong to already regret wishing I just bought a ready to go Florida 2WD?

mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 11:56
Think there is a lwb highroof on ebay.kleinanzeigen for little money. Biiiiggg roof.

Stefan
Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 16 at 21:38
Anyone know the weight of an empty LT 4x4?

I need to transport the LT on a 5m trailer.

I'll be towing with a Touareg which can apparently tow 3.5 tons.

Needless to say I'm massively nervous about this...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 16 at 19:38
A LWB hitop 28 is 1900kg empty.

Stefan will know, or try Google.

50kg for the hitop too.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 16 at 20:16
Thanks. I've looked and looked and can't find weight for the 4x4 LT40.

I saw the 1.9 tons is also for the 2wd LT40 too so I'm hoping 4x4 running gear does not come in at more than 600kg?

If its less I'm fine to trailer with the Touareg. If not I may get issues with German police as I've heard they enforce towing weights big time.

How does one stay discreet with a 5m trailer and a massive LT on the back?

I hope my brakes are up for this....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 16 at 15:41

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 16 at 21:04
Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I come in at 3250kg with van and trailer so I'm ok to go pick it up and bring the van to its new home....

Then the real journey starts...
Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 07:16
I've nearly bought it home... After a marathon drive to far side of Germany and back im now at Calais awaiting eurotunnel home. Apart from few rusty seams, I'm impressed with its condition. Only 70k Kim's and it shows.

Thanks for all your help and responses which have helped immensely.

Now the fun begins. Starting with derating it to 3.5t, getting MOT and dealing with the DVLA

Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 07:22
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oml9d9r124gj0cv/LTonwayhome.jpeg?dl=0

Tried uploading photo but wouldn't show in my post.

mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 17:49

Nice one!

Stefan
Cableguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cableguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 23:14
Jeez, braver than me. My 4x4 weighed in at 3.6 ton add a hefty trailer to that and I'd say your Toureg must've been breathing through its arse towing that lot:-)
Nice though to see another 4x4 in the uk. Especially with a factory snorkel. Want to sell the snorkel??:-)
we've been trying to get hold of one to get some made up and organise a group buy as they are NLA from vw. If we could get a mould made up from yours, would be good to go.
Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 16 at 07:21
Touareg was spot on! I was really impressed actually, drove 12 hours back to the UK in 1 day and had plenty of torque, braked when it needed to and didnt slow down on hills. I was doing 60 mph pretty much all of the way home. They are rated to tow 3.5 tons but I'm now sure can handle much more than that. More than I can say for the trailer as one of the wheels blew out in Belgium on the way back (SCARY stuff!).

Sorry, I'm keeping the snorkel. But I'm sure we can sort out getting a mould of it as it will be coming off for a short while during refurb anyway. Do you have a place in mind? I'm in hertfordshire. I can see if anyone around here could do the main body of it. Copying the metal intake & prefilter itself may be tricky? Would it really be worth it in small numbers? Will end up costing a fortune to reproduce i reckon.

Let me know how/if you want to proceed. 

While I'm writing, anyone know where to find decent rear bumpers that arent too thin and are pre drilled?

Dcfb77 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcfb77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 16 at 07:22
Stefan, how did you manage to post that photo? What am I missing?
Cableguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cableguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 16 at 07:42
Cyclone bit is still available from classics so it would be just the intake pipe. I'm in Sussex, so happy to meet. There's definately a demand. I have bought a parts van from Germany which had one fitted, but someone pinched it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>