The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear disc brakes T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear disc brakes T3
    Posted: 17 Sep 17 at 09:10
After 12 years of ownership I'm finally ready to go rear discs on my velle
This is no for performance just practicality ,the drums need replacing and the backing plates are rotten.
Been looking for a while and my shopping list is this...
Sharan rear discs I can get these at the moment for £26 a pair
92 on golf rear calipers local breakers have quite a few around £50 the pair
Not to worried about pipe work I'm sure I can find something to fit
My problem now is the flat steel bracket I had a pair in my eBay basket for about a year but seller now out of stock
I have access to milling and lathe facilities just wondered if anyone had a cad drawing or sketch of brackets they had made
If anyone on here has done this any advice much appreciated I'm a tight git and the cost of conversion works out far cheaper than new drums backing plates and shoes!!!
scrogins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrogins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 13:45
Wot Ho Tight Git

Have not long completed Disk upgrades to both ends on my Camper, Ive watched the progress over many years towards a safe / competent changeover and whilst the basic components, disks, calipers etc have been there quite a long time the brackets always stopped me progressing any further! 6mm Steel appears to be the weapon of choice for brackets which is cheap / easy to form but will work harden and eventually let go, do you really want to suddenly loose the brakes? it wont happen for quite some time but it will happen! There is also the probability of bending the brackets under sudden heavy applications, been there, done that, which does not lose the brakes but leaves you with a crap pedal and half brakes till you get home, I personally don't advise this experience unless you have a change of diaper handy! scary!!!

After a quick search on the bay of fleas I found two contenders!

Exhibit A

The design is not bad but its 6mm steel. look at the length of the bracket once the carrier has been attached, then factor in the side thrust on the steel bracket with every application of the brakes, it will work but ultimately it must fail or bend, if it was made from high tensile steel then yes, much better, but the back of the bracket is too thin, it will still twist! but h.t.s is not as cheap as steel.

Exhibit B

A much better design than the other one, German made, but is it steel? it does not say? it appears to be a copy of one of the Epytec brackets, complete with required h.t. bolts, but is it steel or h.t. steel? I would want to know before parting with my cash! it states on the bottom of the sales bumph that they are not for road use, but that will be a get out of jail free card for the supplier should one fail, they actually use this design and quite a few more at Epytec, all are road legal there, and h.t.steel, but cost more plus postage.

Exhibit c

Same design as above but h.t steel and much heavier construction, had I seen this last year I would have purchased it and built the rear end up to suit, however I instead went for the holman engineering rear fitting kit, English build by engineers specifically designed for the syncronauts 4x4 but fits two wheel drives fine, expensive but you get the h.t.brackets, h.t.bolts Rear hubs spun down to fit, handbrake cables custom made, stainless braided flexible pipes, long or short, hub centering collars to centre the disks, you get a lot for your money and they work brilliantly, I am pleased I went for them.

Front brakes just finished.

As you can see this is just for the brackets/bolts but since retiring ive lost the use of a workshop or I would have copied the design, no biggie, this kit is spot on with certification to boot, the same as Holmans rear brackets. you get what you pay for, Safety should be your number one priority! then the cost, you could of course copy the designs as you have workshop facilities but use High Tensile Steel not steel, costs more but what price life, 

If you have a look in the brickies arms you will see two threads by me on the holman rear end and the just finished Epytec front brake upgrade, both I cannot recommend enough, and the front one was remarkably cheap using all new components apart from the carriers, I try and work to a game plan when overhauling the van, buy the components a bit at a time over months, then fit once acquired, this avoids the loss of my blood should she find out what im doing with her money! this didnt end well with the front brake build, ended up rebuilding everything on the front suspension and got spotted! the danger of death meter was maxed out for a few weeks there!.....slurpz....
scrogins
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 16:22

I've got the cad for these (scroll down near the bottom of the page):

Worked for me for years, and helps stop the stones getting into the calipers

Edited by fufflenarnia - 21 Sep 17 at 19:30
frostbus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 17 at 12:56
Cheers fellas have checked out the brackets pointed out very nice and agreed like the last option HT steel,
Just spent money on the old girl new front discs pad callipers etc all German so perhaps I should have described myself as frugal :) rather than tight.
Also agree with comment about doing brakes on the cheap not my intention just want best value and options for my money😁
I've added it up and even with the dearer German bracket still comes in just under price of gen drums backing plates and cylinders and shoes!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply