The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Brake Pressure Regulator/Booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Brake Pressure Regulator/Booster
    Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 15:01
From other threads I have read that a few of you have replaced it. I was wondering where you bought it from and how much it cost you?

Edited by volition82 - 16 Jul 13 at 16:11
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 15:50
Just heard back from vw heritage and its no longer available. Already tried vw uk. I would have thought somebody would be able to rebuild them. Anybody have any ideas on that one?
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 15:54
Have you tried Euro Car Parts
They recently sourced me an ATE master cylinder from Germany.
I wonder if they can do the same with the "booster"
Actually it's a retarder!
It stops the rears locking up under light loads.
LT31 1991 2.4 TD Florida Westphalia • Honda ST1100 • Ford Tourneo Connect
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 16:11
Mecatechnic might be worth a shot, but I suspect, like VW Heritage they get their parts from http://www.vw-classicparts.de/

I've been in contact with classicparts.de previously and they will communicate in English. Very helpful in fact, even going to the trouble of taking a photo of the part to confirm it was the right one for me.

I'd have thought one of the companies who rebuild brake calipers would be able to recondition it if needed. I'm just wondering though, what's to stop you getting one from a more recent van of similar weight, and plumbing that in? Obviously it won't necessarily be a bolt in replacement, but it might be quicker than getting one reconditioned. It might be something I'll have to investigate soon, as mine is a little stiff although the mechanical side is fine.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 16:14
If my knowledge and recollection are correct the cylinder is the same across the LT range.
It is just the spring that was changed/different - depending on the rated/plated weight of the vehicle.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 17:01
Unfortunately its a vw only part. Nobody else made them.

I had thought about fitting a later model version. But as stevest said its the setting up of the spring. Had a read through the manual and you need specalist tools to set the correct pressure. Once you have the right spring you adjust it by the sliding bracket. In other words a complete nightmare!

The idea is if i cant get new get one from a breakers and have it re conditioned. Cant be that hard to find somebody. As far as im aware its just a few seals, polish and re spray? Somebody must do all the old classic stuff?

I'll give zee germans a try. Had thought about just taking it out. My vans a motorhome and it must be near full weight. Is that a good idea and would it pass the mot like it?

Edited by volition82 - 12 Jul 13 at 17:10
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 20:40
I think it would actually be worse removing it on a motorhome, as it reduces the pressure when lightly loaded. So bypassing it would give you full braking effort all the time and make it more likely to lock the wheels up.

But seeing as the load you carry won't vary much, if you had a fixed braking restrictor (or a seized compensator LOL ) that should do the job assuming the restriction was such that it allowed a sufficient braking effort.
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 23:11
Apparently they are still available in Germany.
BUT dont click on this link if you are prone to fits or seizures
http://www.online-teile.com/audi/product_info.php?info=p86102006_281612501a-brkrregler.html
for the bottom line made my eyes water.
I wonder if they are listing it but out of stock
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 13:27
And as a follow-up to my last post here's a pic of the box mine came in
http://www.jam96.com/uploads/Regulatorbox.jpg
Just in case the extra numbers help you source a new one from outside UK
(really confused as to how to use the file manager in the members control panel gave up trying & used our own server)
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 15:45

NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 16:33
Thanks BeJay
Any chance you could explain how you did it?
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 19:23
Has anyone tried taking it apart and rebuilding it. It can't be that hard.....Big smile
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 19:38
OK dudes, it seems that RockAuto has them for about $16 CDN

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 23:47
For the complete unit? If so count me in for one!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 13 at 02:21
It is this one?

Mine is leaking on the starboard side so i ordered 2 of em.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 13 at 08:04
I looked last night and could not find one on RockAuto, but did find the wheel cylinders as pictured above.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 13 at 12:00
AHHH, OK, I thought the cylinder is all that was needed. I thought the booster was for all 4 wheels.

Edited by Canada LT28 - 14 Jul 13 at 12:05
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Mike Noc View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Noc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 13 at 21:57
You can get rear brake cylinders from GSF. New front calipers are available and cheap enough.

I couldn't source a new back axle balance valve, so ended up buying a second hand one from an online scrappy.
'The Big Slow' LT35 1989 normally aspirated Diesel Horsebox - Gone but not forgotten.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 13 at 14:52
That is not cheap! I've got a list of 4 companies who re-con calipers so going to give them a try. Plus im waiting on a reply from germany. Once I know more i'll post it.
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 13 at 15:45
Just to let you know that Eurocarparts can get them from Germany in 7/10 days.
S
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>