The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Axle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beneedle67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Axle
    Posted: 21 Apr 14 at 23:15
LT35 2.4 Petrol (1986)
Does anyone know if there is a rear axle seal kit anywhere to be had? Hypoid gear oil is leaking at one of the rear wheels. Looking at the VAG parts diagram there are a few gaskets/seals. 
The Haynes manual seems to suggest that it is not an extensive job, is that right? Anything that I should know beforehand?

Many Thanks. Best. Ben

Ben Eedle
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 06:20
If the oil is leaking into the drum, the seal can only be replaced after removing, read replacing, the shaft bearing and collar.

The large diameter Oring seals the flanges and can be done without major disassembly.

In amongst this lot is my story.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
beneedle67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beneedle67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 16:15
Hi Ltcamper89,
Thanks so much for your reply - Total nightmare then from reading your post? 
But it's possible to replace the large seal by just taking out the half shaft complete?
Do you know the part number to identify the large seal so that I can see from the parts diagram which one it is. Also for ordering. 
I tried to go to your photobucket link but can't get the photos to load. Are they still there? I can't quite visualise it all, you see and photos would probably explain a lot of what I've read from your earlier posting.

It seems to be leaking from a 'weep hole' on the back plate. I'm attaching a photo to clarify.
It's my fault in the first place - obviously over filled diff - drained a bit off now and maybe just maybe the seal is still good.

Really appreciate your input. Many thanks, Ben

Ben Eedle
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 16:24
The figure8 seal is 281501241, which encompasses the little hole with the main shaft but it is included in the wheel bearing kit.

Everything is still there Ben, but maybe i used the wrong link, try this one. Works in Preview.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beneedle67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 13:40
Thanks, mate. My PC doesn't like photobucket - looked at the pics on a friend's mac.

The oil is only leaking out of the hole as per my picture. (as far as I can see). So do you think that it's just a question of replacing that oil seal? (i.e. 281501241) or is it the major dismantling of the shaft as per your story.

Am I right in understanding that any other oil seal replacement would need the major dismantling?

When you say seal  281501241 'encompasses' the hole do you mean that this seal isolates the hole from the oil and is a figure 8 shape with a big circle going around the shaft and a smaller circle going around the hole?

I hope I'm making sense. It's so difficult describing this stuff. But I'm trying to get a fair picture before taking something apart that I cannot put back together.

Thanks a million. Really wouldn't be able to manage this vehicle without this help. 
Sincerely. Ben.
Ps. It can't be bought separately only in a wheel bearing kit?

Ben Eedle
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 19:20

Part 5 right hand centre.

The little hole allows overfill of the differential to come out and if the shaft seal packs in, been there done that, stops the oil getting into the drums.Shocked IF it is a clean bore, not like mine.

I think that the Oring in the bearing kit did not have the 'snowmans' head' . 85.5 x 2.3dia but better check. I will have a look on Friday to see if I can confirm it.

I have put the folder onto MediaFire 

Regarding the amount of dismantling, four bolts to remove the half-shaft, but I am not sure if it comes out past the shoes and springs etc.

The main shaft seal is easy enough but requires the replacement of the bearing and collar.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 14 at 19:02

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beneedle67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 14 at 11:37
Hi Lt Camper89,

Thank you so much. MediaFire fires up, no problem. Thanks for the link. Thanks for the time you've given me. 
Basically, my understanding now is, if it's leaking out of the hole the main seal is probably gone. In any case if I were to take it all apart it would make sense to replace all the seals. Do you agree?

The bearing though? Is there any way of keeping/reusing it? Our bus only has a few 17,000 km on it and the bearings are good and original, almost certainly and also I would have to replace the outer track or is that just 
bad practise? Thanks again. Best. Ben
What did you use to heat up the bearing and the collar?
Ben Eedle
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 14 at 12:17
Originally posted by beneedle67 beneedle67 wrote:

Hi Lt Camper89,

Basically, my understanding now is, if it's leaking out of the hole the main seal is probably gone. In any case if I were to take it all apart it would make sense to replace all the seals. Do you agree?

No point in not doing it all at once. Difficult to do just bits.

The bearing though? Is there any way of keeping/reusing it? 
The main seal is installed in the carrier and then the spacer, the bearing and collar are heated up and slid down after that. There is however another Oring, part 5 on the drawing, outboard of the bearing and that deforms a lot, so needs to be replaced anyway. Since the bearing inner race is shrunk onto the axle, I cannot see how you could get it off without a lot of heat, you will be heating the axle too, and you may run the risk of it losing the hardness.

What did you use to heat up the bearing and the collar?

A localish garage who (used to) restore french filth DS, http://home.btconnect.com/centreville/ Bugger, they have shut now.

Edit: Citroën DS

Edited by LTCamper89 - 26 Apr 14 at 12:18

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beneedle67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 14 at 22:27
Do you think that Mapp Gas has any chance of getting the ring up to the correct temp? 
Here's why I ask: - Our neighbours (well one particular neighbour) are pretty sniffy about our bus so I am very reluctant to jack it up and leave it on axle stands whilst I take the shafts to an engineering firm to fit the seals, bearing and ring. Completing the task in a day would be preferable. (I actually have an oxy-acetylene kit but sadly no bottles anymore)

Thanks. Ben.
Ps. Kit purchased from Evilbay. Thanks for alerting me to it.
Ben Eedle
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beneedle67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 14 at 22:11
Hi Can anyone confirm the correct diff oil? Is it Hypoid 90? Also what's the diff's capacity - might as well change the oil.

What about this breather modification. Is it worth doing? Can one even buy the kit? - I notice that the manual advises the mod esp if there have been oil leaks.

Many thanks as ever. Ben.

Taking the half shaft to engineer to press on bearing and retaining ring (without heat, he says)
Ben Eedle
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 05:56

Taking the half shaft to engineer to press on bearing and retaining ring (without heat, he says)

Mine did to, and it is obvious if he does, due to discolouration. 

The first place I went to mentioned scaffold pole.Shocked

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 11:31
OHOH, I've had a leak for years and done nothing about it.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 21:55
2.2 litres of GL5 in the diff. LT 28/31 takes 1.8 litres.

LTCamper - When they pressed yours on did they do it cold then? Sorry, being a bit slow again! Must be some press!
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 06:04
Hot. I have reread the posts and realise I did not make it clear.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Newty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 15 at 19:22
Hi - you mentioned that there was a kit for this problem - where from please?

Thanks Smile
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 15 at 21:59
Originally posted by Newty Newty wrote:

Hi - you mentioned that there was a kit for this problem - where from please?

Thanks Smile

Halfway down the first page of 'My Story'.

'The part number of my kit is 'QWB1192' equivalent to  BK1192'

Any motor factors will be able to get it with the numbers. Do both now while you can.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 29 Jun 15 at 22:00

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Newty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 15 at 06:50
Ok got one.

I am so grateful to you 89 - honestly I thought I was never going to find those bits. 

Thank you :-) 

Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 16:12
And thank you both..... managed to track down the wheel bearing kit required for my 35e with the part no's supplied by LTCamper89.

So my shopping list is growing.... (but as I tell the wife when she complains, I don't smoke & I don't drink enough..... so the LT is really a cheaper option LOLLOL
If it can't be fixed, I'm not interested!
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
 Post Reply Post Reply