The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear air suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear air suspension
    Posted: 27 Jan 14 at 11:33

hi i'm a bit of a charlatan on this forum as i don't have a VW but a leyland DAf minibus 400! kinda hoped there'd be a like mind among you or someone whos had one in the past, has a mate with one or whatever...

problem is i urgently need some advice on a repair to the rear suspension- its fitted with airbags over leaf springs but the bags are proper knackered now, the plate at the top of the bag on one side is corroded so now leaking badly nd has stopped inflating; the rubbers are also well perished at this stage. turns out these units are quite scarce (obsolete) and ones i'v found are gonna be over £200 each.............
i'm thinking replacing the airsprings with coil springs might be a better option, to avoid future problems. i don't know if this will end up being just as costly though and might be more trouble than its worth...??
i wonder if anyone has ever done a job like this and can help me make the right decision.? the garage i use haven't done this before and they aren't sure what it would entail with regards fittings etc ...
any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated ! except ones saying scrap it cos i'm not ready for that!

many thanks, jayne

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 14 at 12:51
The advantage of air springs is that you can vary the pressure to get the desired ride height, and if you have more or less weight to carry you can just increase/decrease the air pressure.

If you fit metal springs you may have to buy 2 or 3 sets to get the result you want (been there, done that when modifying a Landcruiser I used to own).

Does anyone else offer suitable airbags cheaper (even if you have to modify them to fit) ?

Edited by gregozedobe - 27 Jan 14 at 12:52
jayne View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 14 at 16:15
sounds like replacing with coil springs will be more trouble and just as much cost... i don't know about modifying airbags... theres loads of different ones out there ?!

thanks for your thoughts, things are becoming clearer if not happier...!
justabloke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justabloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 16 at 12:21
I appreciate this is a bit late, but may be helpful to others in the future.

I found a guy at a company called Marcle Leisure can help out with replacement LDV bellows and if the electronics are knackered, he can supply bits to do away with the electronics and still have self adjusting height suspension.
 Post Reply Post Reply