The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radio Aerial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radio Aerial
    Posted: 09 Mar 15 at 21:55
Hi,

Not a very exciting post but I wonder if someone can tell me where I can get a replacement aerial for my 1990 LT31 Florida? It sits on the front panel on the drivers side (which is LHD in this case) and is an angled fit on the panel. Would it be just a standard aerial? Also, how would I remove the old one to fit the new one?

Many thanks,

Matt
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 15 at 22:18
Removing the old one is probably a case of unscrewing a nut from behind the panel.

If you know the part number try VW Classic via Brickwerks, they still have a lot of parts, usually the ones you do not need, like aerials.Wink
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
mwheatley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 15 at 22:23
Hi,

Thanks for that. I don't know the part number but I guess I can find that from the old one?

Unscrewing the bolt is not the problem, I'm just not sure how to get to it. Do I go through the front lighting grill or from underneath the drivers footwell?

Thanks again.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 15 at 16:01
Probably from the footwell, there is just fresh air above mine until the windscreen.

I did look for the aerial part number this morning but could not even find where the radio is listed.Confused
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
mwheatley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 15 at 20:47
Thanks for trying though. I will take a look from the footwell first.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 19:53
I've tried and failed to find the part number for it, as have two dealers (back in the days when the van was more current). I couldn't find a standard aerial to suit, as the pillar is angled and also the hole is oval.

I did investigate the modern style of short stubby angled roof aerial, but couldn't find one to match the angle of the pillar.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
mwheatley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 20:26
Hi Mat,

So what did you end up doing in the end? I'm a little stuck as to what to do now.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 21:40

Give brickwerks a shout.  They used to do a very good quality BERU aerial with an angled fitting for the front of a T3.

Maybe they can still get them.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 21:43

Heh! They still do!  Click me

Excellent quality and for £13 got to be worth a punt Big smile

mwheatley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 21:43
Will do, thanks Chappy.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 21:45

and they've got this one too!

I'm going to get one or both for the Florida refit after she's been painted

mwheatley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 21:58
Looks like I will be doing the same!!

Thanks again.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 15 at 00:03
Thanks for the link! I'd be interested to see how well that fits (it may be the same as the LT) as I may get one myself. I was looking for one well before I'd found this forum and Brickwerks, and ended up fitting a stubby one on the roof. But with it being fibreglass I had to add my own ground plane (foil!) to get best reception.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
 Post Reply Post Reply