The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulley Mis-alignment JX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulley Mis-alignment JX
    Posted: 02 May 17 at 18:32
I have a 1990 JX with PAS and the water pump pulley does not line up properly so wears away the belt and puts powdered rubber all over the engine compartment.Has done since I bought it.

The set up is this

On the crank is 068 105 243 MED that I assume is a vibration damper as its pulley grove is covered by a double pulley 068 105 255M (described as Dual pulley for models with power steering, which I have).

The water pump pulley in this case 068 121 031 T which Brickwerks describe as “Suits models with power steering only”. So that seems OK

But it doesn’t line up!

The main crank pulleys seem to be about 3 - 4 mm behind the other pulleys.

Should there be rubber or something between the vibration damper and the Dual pulley, should there be a shim?

Will the Brickwerks Pulley Shim 068 121 185 B fit in there and if so, anyone know how thick they are?

Edited by Pete Westy - 03 May 17 at 19:30
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 17:32
If you undo the 4x Allen's or splines on the crank you can take off thr pulley without interfering with the cambelt. You can then ad a spacer or maybe even washers to bring it into line. I suspect the water pump housing or half casing is for something else vag. It may of even come with that pulley so just been fitted and left as an oversight?

Can you get a pick of the set up? May help?

Edited by rowlesy - 04 May 17 at 17:33
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 17 at 00:19
I think it's the other way round.
Either the water pump and the PAS pump and generator need to go closer to the block or the pulley combination on the crank needs to come further out.
I'll get som pics at week end
Pete

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 17:47
I have a pas pulley 037 105 253 which from rear to centre of fee measures 27mm. Yours if you want it?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 17 at 12:15
Got in there yesterday to get some photos. Not so simple!
Getting belts, pulleys off, showed that all the pulleys line up except the water pump.

The top pulley is the pump, the bottom one is the crank. See the misalign.
Looked for the pump part number but can't find one! Took the pump out to see better but still can't find it. Thats not a good sign - probably a generic replacement. I'll get a new pump as soon as Brickwerks get them back in stock and see if that cures the problem.
Thanks for the PAS pulley offer but I think that's OK

Edited by Pete Westy - 08 May 17 at 12:28
Pete

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 17 at 11:13
The new Brickwerks pump arrived the day after I placed the order.
Compared alongside the old one there didn't seem any difference in pulley position but hard to tell. Fitted the pump and got the belts back on. Magic, they seem to be inline!
Only time will tell if this cures the belt wear problem but so far so good.
Pete

Post Reply Post Reply