The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with Starting 2.5Tdi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transporter1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with Starting 2.5Tdi
    Posted: 12 Feb 11 at 20:47
Fairly new to T4 ownership, just over a year, and new to this forum, cracking site by the way.

I'm hoping someone may be able to help. I'm having a problem starting my van. It started perectly up until about 3 weeks, I'd turn the key and it would start instantly. Now it starts, then dies again, i try again and tries to fire a few more times, then eventually after a lot of turnig it over, it finally starts. When Im turning it over after it intially starts then dies, quite a bit of white smoke comes out of the exhaust!! When it is started it runs fine, settles to tick over straight away.

It's almost like the engine is flooding, but I was under the impression diesel engine don't flood!! or do they, and if they do is there anything in particular that may cause it? One thing I have tried which gets it to start first time is push the accelerator pedal all the way down turn the key and it starts, but I know this isn't the ideal way to start it.

I know VAGcom would probably solve the problem, but I don't know of anybody with one and don't really have the dosh to start taking it to a VW garage. I was wondering if it may be the injectors or a blocked fuel filter?

Anybody have any idea whay it could be?

Cheers
Justin 
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 11 at 09:07
Fuel Filter Or Fuel Pump Possibly ? I know fuck all about fuck all, but sounds like it has problems getting fuel in ?  

Welcome to the yard :) Get over to the brickies and get you round in Big smile
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
dvdfrost View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvdfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 11 at 03:06
sounds like glow plugs, or air in system but the ECU does compensate for lots of problems so reading the fault codes would be  a BIG help and save guessing!
save up for one of the hand held VAG scanners(blue one) £29 on fleabay. It will pay for itself on your first repair! or if you dont mind balancing your laptop outside just buy a lead less than £10 on fleabay and make sure it comes with vagcom lite( or  download it free ) !
T4 and T5 vans, they let you do what you want to do.... and be what you want to be!
'05 T5 130
'01 T4 88
'95 T4 888 spesh
Transporter1969 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transporter1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 11 at 12:15
Thanks for the advice regarding the VAG scanner, much appreciated. You menytion that I need to get the blue one, is tere any particular reason why it needs to be the blue one? does this one read different to the red one that there seems to be loads of on there??

The only blue one I can see on the is the cheap Chinese one, is that the one your referring to?

Cheers
Justin

Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 11 at 15:13
Nothing wrong with the Chinese products these days....most modern electronics are built there anyway!
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'm not indecisive,or am I?You bet I am!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 11 at 20:02
Cheap diagnostic equipment is bin fodder! It will throw loads of faults at you because it cant define the exact one! Get a pro VAG com check done and save hours and pounds trying to chase your tail.

From the sounds of it your glow plugs are playing up. Ive got some new ones for mine as it occasionally does the same, just got to fit them when I get 5 mins
Farmsyncro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmsyncro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 11 at 22:40
G'day, ('cause thats how we all talk here),
I had a similar problem to this although mine was intermittant.  Eventually I figured out it was related to fuel level in the tank.  When the fuel was low the problem was worse.
Check that the clear section of fuel line in the engine bay is completely full of fuel with no air bubbles when the engine is running.  Mine had air and fuel.  I pulled a vacuum on the fuel line with a (simple medical type disposable) syringe and could see air and fuel being sucked in to the syringe.  testing each section of fuel line I got back to the fuel tank pick up and still had the problem.  Removing the fuel pick up assembly from the tank and disassembling it revealed cracks in the plastic where air was being ingested into the fuel pipe.  I replace the fuel pick up/level sensor and the problem disappeared.
Good luck. Remember to post what you find - it helps us all at some time.

Cheers,
Farmsyncro
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transporter1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 11 at 11:53
just realised I didn't post the resolve to the problem. It turned out to be the fuel filter, looks likwe I was still running with the original from 1999!!!

New fuel filter and back to starting on the button again. thanks for all the advise, much appreciated.
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 11 at 12:52
That'll be me right for once :)
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transporter1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 11 at 09:34
Looks like the problem wsn't solved by changing the fuel filter!!!! It started on the button for a few weeks after fitting the fuel filter, now I'm back to where is was again!!!

Can't get it into my head how it appeared to solve the problem and has now reverted back to how it was previously!!!

When i fitted the fuel filter I filled it with diesel, refitted the pipes and after initially being diffeicult to start, started on the button!!

Any ideas as to what it may be?
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 11 at 01:00

I would check the "o" rings on the heater valve that fits into the fuel filter if these are damaged or have shrunk into the valve it allows air into the system allowing the fuel to flow back to the tank increasing your cranking time as the T4 has no lift pump in the tank.

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 11 at 01:10
Originally posted by traversd traversd wrote:

That'll be me right for once :)

not quite marra!
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
 Post Reply Post Reply