Print Page | Close Window

T3 Engine Opportunity

Printed From: The Brick-yard
Category: T3 Section
Forum Name: T3 Engine Upgrades
Forum Description: Forum for tuned or alternative engines.
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94289
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 23:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: T3 Engine Opportunity
Posted By: SimonD
Subject: T3 Engine Opportunity
Date Posted: 10 Nov 19 at 23:22
Hi All,

I have popped small post on this site looking for help in the past but still having lots of problems. Its probably best if I just give a brief overview of my problems.

Six months ago I purchased a solid 1.9 petrol twin slider, 4 speed F reg T3. It ran ok but would stall really badly at junctions. After a battery change and dizzy cap (I think) change it was better. Then the gearbox trouble began. Firstly it wouldn't go into gear. Then it was noticed she was leaking a lot of fluid. Seals and clutch kits were purchased. The registration plate was used for identifying which clutch to get. The clutch was fitted, but then it started making some terrible noises. It also would not select a gear. My mechanic with my help (I know nothing but can operate a kettle and hold spanners) had the gearbox out three times, but every time couldn't get it to operate smoothly. Eventually we ended up putting the old clutch back in and were pretty much back to square one. She ran for a couple of days then she gave up, the clutch pedal now has no pressure in it and she wont go into any gear.

There are a million questions going round my head.

Did I have the right clutch kit?
Did my mechanic know what he was doing?
Should I give up and sell her?
Should I repair her and sell her?
As someone who doesn't have any mechanical knowledge is owning this vehicle and having it as a daily driver a good idea?

There are so many options out there. I have read so many articles on engine and box changes. Some I have understood. Some I will never understand.

All I really wanted was a reliable vehicle that I could sleep in, carry my dog and mountain bike, may be make a brew and have enough room to get changed in. Perhaps a Dazam Bongo would have been a better choice. I have never been good at driving boring vehicles though.

I work as a project worker at a hostel young people can stay in for up to two years to help them get their life back on track. When I first turned up in my bus all the kids loved it and it was well received. It became a talking point. I did end up with the odd screw in my tyre. On the whole though it helped me do my job as I could take residents out in it and its a fun bus.

At the moment though it is anything but fun. Plus Im by no means a millionaire. The amount of money I can throw at it to get it back on the road is limited. I have about 2k available. Which I know is not enough for a engine and box change. My plan is to purchase a car and run around with the suitable engine and box. Then save enough up for the transfer, take the two vehicles to a reputable mechanic and make one good bus out of the two.

Which moves on to the question what engine and box would be suitable. Diesels as we know are economical but hated by the government. I am still swaying towards diesel for economy regardless of the tax implications. As I stated earlier I have read lots of articles about inline and reverse engines. I don't understand a lot it if I'm honest. 1.6 seems to be a popular conversion. I am concerned that if I manage to kit the bus out properly and put a pop top on it a 1.6 may struggle. Therefore I seem to be looking at a lot of 1.9TDI.

I have spent hours on ebay looking at VW Bora's, Passats, Audi A3's and Golfs. All seem to be within my budget with an acceptable amount of miles on the clock. The problem here is Im not sure which year I need to look at for any of the models listed above.

Igf anyone could give me any advice it would be fantastic. Im sorry if this post relates to others on the forum. I have tried searching but couldnt find anything quite that fitted my search criteria.

Many Thanks

Simon

Replies:
Posted By: Jeffroo
Date Posted: 23 Dec 19 at 07:44
hi Simon, it might also be worth posting this question on club 80-90 forum. I’ve used that site for years with great success, but have only just found this forum. Sorry I can’t be of more help

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net