Forum Description: Forum for T5 specific chat
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92772
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 14:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Subaru engine
Posted By: Chugachug
Subject: Subaru engine
Date Posted: 16 Jun 17 at 14:23
hi, l once had a T3 and had a 2.2 Subaru engine put in, due to old 1.6 diesel  engine kept breaking down, wish l never sold the bus now, and have been thinking if it possible to put one in a T5, has anyone thought or atemp in put a 2.2 Subaru in a T5.

Replies:
Posted By: ob1
Date Posted: 16 Jun 17 at 16:32
I'd love to see the bill... nigh on impossible I'd say.. and certainly not worth the time or the money...

Posted By: gregozedobe
Date Posted: 17 Jun 17 at 03:01
I don't know whether there is physically room for a flat 4 engine in a T5, then you would have the issue of connecting to the gearbox, and worst of all, integrating the electrics.

I won't say it's flat-out impossible, but it would be an awful lot of work to get a marginal improvement (if any -  the later VW diesels aren't that bad, well, most of them, anyway).

Date Posted: 17 Jun 17 at 13:07
Thanks for the info, reason l mention it, as l got a 2.5 T130 and diesel from the injector somehow got into the oil sump and Bang, £2,000 for a 09 replacement engine that done 46,000 on the clock and about £1,000 to fit it, it running good and start 1st time every time, but having to check my oil dip stick every 2 weeks to smell the oil if diesel in the sump, perhaps l am over reacting,  if l known the 2.5 has this fault, l would not have brought it and gone for the 1.9.Sleepy

Posted By: festa
Date Posted: 17 Jun 17 at 22:27
I'm just on my second full rebuild since the first in 2010. Wouldn't go 1.9 even though they are more reliable as it hasn't got the torqueSmile
Subaru engine won't go in transverse as its too wide but may go in between the rails if its turned through 90 deg.
Look at t4transformations who have fitted the audi s4 engine and twin turbos in the front of his....745bhp and 812nm of torque through a quattro system must be wicked to driveLOL

-------------
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp

Date Posted: 18 Jun 17 at 06:52
had a look at the t4transformations this morning before going to work, wow nice looking engine on the T5, now you got me thinking for the future, will have to look at the cost of buying and fitting it, also the brake disc and cal as well, ahhhhhhhhhhh now you put a small seed in my head. 

Date Posted: 18 Jun 17 at 07:34
As a day to day vehicle it could be a bit impractical but as a promotion vehicle to showcase what a company can do then brilliant.
I have a T5 which I'm cutting up as its's been stripped so can't go back on the road, but I've been looking into fitting a 3.2 v6 petrol or a 3L v6 diesel in the north south orientation using whats left of the T5 as a mockup.
I don't really want a petrol but now all tthis stuuff about diesel being bad I don't want to waste to much time and money in fitting the wrong engine for what would be an everyday vehicle.
What I have done is spend just on £7.4k on an engine rebuild as the 2.5 axe I had kind of lifted its head when getting to much from it and cooked the top end.
Wish I now spent that on athe transplant but then I also didn't know that the rebuild has taken just on 5 months Unhappy

-------------
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp

Date Posted: 18 Jun 17 at 15:57
7.4 k on a rebuild , you could have brought a brand new 2.5 engine for that with fitting it as well, l did look at buying a new engine at first and the amount of money for that on my 04 plate, l chicken out, still l like what l saw on 4transformation with the T5, l will always have a T5 in the future and look up on prices in buying and fitting, l be happy with petrol engines.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 17 at 18:42
Originally posted by Chugachug Chugachug wrote:

7.4 k on a rebuild , you could have brought a brand new 2.5 engine for that with fitting it as well

Not with what I've got nowBig smile

-------------

Posted By: Onefut
Date Posted: 04 Dec 17 at 13:07
Sounds like you have a beast of a motor festa

-------------
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB

Date Posted: 05 Dec 17 at 06:48
Originally posted by Onefut Onefut wrote:

Sounds like you have a beast of a motor festa

Don't know yet ....It's now on it's third rebuild this year.
The machine shop that done my work on the first build decided to reuse all the gears from the first engine that had a problem Shocked That has ment a second rebuild this year which when put back together had done 800 miles before a new radiator was needed and a boost leak on the turrbo. The boost leak was keeping things in place but once fixed Smile That lasted around 40 minutes as it broke the cylinder lining and smashed up number 4 piston, the mess ....bent rod and a hole in the block.
I've now repaired the block and waiting for new custom linings as the first wasn't fitted correctly, new crank,bearings, 2 new rods, 5 new pistons that have now been ceramic coated, new sachs dmf. That lot is going for balancing again and hope to have it all back by Christmas so it can go back together. Also new turbo as I'm going to retire the gt2262 hybird for a gtb2260vklr as it will spool much nicer, I'm also going to use the electronic actuator in place of the vacuum as it will be much quicker. Problem I have is room as the turbo has been clocked to fit and now the actuator is possibly going to sit to close to the servo and fire wall...I'll wait and see once I can do a mock up.
I also have a reground camshaft by newmans camshafts with a pd150 profile to try but last time I had to much bounce because of the valve springs.

-------------

Posted By: Onefut
Date Posted: 11 Dec 17 at 13:00
That's getting pretty serious, is there much info out there to help tuning these 5 pot motors?

-------------
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net