Forum Description: Chat forum for LT1
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79340
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 04:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Florida Rear 3 Point Seatbelt Installation
Posted By: Chappy
Subject: Florida Rear 3 Point Seatbelt Installation
Date Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 21:42

I've been doing a load of work on the Florida over the winter to address a list of stuff that needed sorting for the coming season.

One of the big jobs was to install a 3 point seat belt in the back for Emma's car chair.  Until now she's been in a rear facing seat that was lap belt securable, but she's a bit of a plumper now and needs to go in a forward facing seat and that means 3 pointer belt. Tongue

The method I used is buried in my Winter Florida Fettling thread, so I thought I'd bring it all together here in one place.

I've seen a range of installs of 3 pointers in Floridas, and have had lots of info sent to me by peeps who have done it (my hearty thanks to you all) Big smile

But.....there's always a 'but'.....all the installs I've seen involve using the bench seat-back as a load absorbing point i.e. the seatbelt goes over the seat back and then over the person/child seat.

Given the options in a Florida, I fully understand why this is the chosen course, but I have a nagging doubt.  I've recently fettled the hinges on one of the folding seats, and having got to know them intimately, I fear that they're not up to snuff in terms of bearing large and suddenly inflicted loads.

So, here's what I did instead:

First job is to strip out the paneling and anything else that needs to come off in order to get at what you want:

Had to remove the panel the lights are mounted in, and then the side panel itself.  This exposed a zinc plated panel, which was riveted in place:

Rivets drilled, and we're down to insulation:

And voilà, the bare frame exposed:

There is a major body beam running across the top, and two smaller strengtheners running across the middle of the panel between vertical body pillars.  My intention is to fabricate a suitable plate or frame which will be welded between beam and strengtheners, onto which will be welded my seatbelt mount.  It'll have to be a static belt though - no room for an inertia reel.  This is not a problem at it's going to have Ems's seat attached to it which has a built in tensioner.

Once all the panels were stripped off, I started work on the mounting point for the 3 pointer seat belt for the back seat.

Here's the basis of the constituent parts - 4mm plate steel and two captive mounting points.  Going to fit two points so it's be suitable for Emma's child seat, Harry on a booster or an adult:

Measuring and marking up on the van:

Marking up the plate:

Plate cut, drilled and deburred:

Essential kit:

Seatbelt arrived:

Welded seatbelt points to mounting plate:

Welded the plate into place:

Artistic it's not, but weld depth is good:

Undersealed/waxoyled:

Slight mod to interior trim support:

Insulation back in:

Inner panel riveted back in place:

Hole positions calculated and drilled:

Interior panel back in, holes cut:

Almost spot on, not bad for holes cut based on dimensional calculation based on a plumb-bob made from a 11mm spanner and a bit of string Tongue

Shelf/lighting panel/fascia back in:

Old lower mounting point removed - not a lot of room!:

Had a slight hitch with the seat belt - the new receiver/buckle had a floor fixing that was too big to fit to the mounting point on the floor.  Old fixing on bottom, new on the top:

Also the webbing was too short:

Spoke to the supplier, who put me in touch with Securon, who put me in touch with Sue at FDTS seat belts.  Spoke to her to see if they make a new belt using my new buckle, and old fixing bracket.  "No problem" was the answer.  I posted it to them on Wednesday, they did the job on Thursday and I had it back in my hands on Friday!  The job was perfect too!

Total price £11 +vat Big smile  They even chucked in a couple of bolts I needed for no extra charge Thumbs Up

Finished product:

Done!

Did a bit of fine tuning to the new seat belt and fitted Emma's seat.  It is ROCK solid!  It is a bit of an effort to get the seat belt clip in, so it could probs do with a bit more fine tuning as we use it, but very pleased with the end result.

-------------
Back in the slow lane, yeah!

Replies:
Posted By: Dreamcatcher
Date Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 23:07
Cracking job mate. Thumbs Up
Good post

-------------
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net