Print Page | Close Window

AFN rebuild/rape for parts

Printed From: The Brick-yard
Category: T3 Section
Forum Name: T3 Engine Upgrades
Forum Description: Forum for tuned or alternative engines.
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77011
Printed Date: 24 Apr 24 at 07:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AFN rebuild/rape for parts
Posted By: lloydy
Subject: AFN rebuild/rape for parts
Date Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:02
As there is a bit of love floating around this forum at the moment, i thought maybe a good time to start a thread....

Picked up this AFN  for £150 pretty much complete bar the MAF. My first thought for it was to break it all up and stick it in the garage for spares. Seeing it in daylight though has been a surprise, its in pretty good nick (previous owner swore 50 tho on the clock, don't quite believe that..)
Turns out its got the oil seperator ive been looking for
a much better looking turbo than whats on mine
and the correct fuel filter bracket, so i can mount it back on the engine instead of in the T3 location. This will mean i can move the overflow coolant tank up to the old filter location, then run better routed air ducting, and will also allow me to use passat fuel filter head and short pipes to the inj pump which look like this
 It also has lots of little brackets that hold the loom onto the engine, to get it all tidy like.
Toying with the idea of converting to the passat coolant layout, much neater looking, just need top and bottom rad hoses and coolant tank.

Anyway plan is to swap bits over between engines, rebuild the VNT (decoke the vanes) rebuild the head, swap the auto flywheel for a standard one and end up with 2 good engines and hopefully learnt new skills on rebuilding stuff.
 There will be plenty of stupid questions on the way as ive never stripped an engine, or turbo or even taken a flywheel off.
just need to sort a engine stand out.
 should be funLOL

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Replies:
Posted By: fufflenarnia
Date Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:17
I've got an engine stand stuck in my in laws garage, in Redhill. You can make me an offer if you want to buy one, it's a Clarke one from Machine Mart.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:28
is it the 750A or 500A?
Would like the 750 due to being a bit more stable. i'm not to far from you (cheam)

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:37
I've had it for years, but it looks just like the 750 as luck would have it, I've even got the tray somewhere.

I'll go and dig it out and send you a picture in the next few days.

Posted By: mrhutch
Date Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:38
lloydy

pic of the waterpump/alternator/powersteering/crank  belt shizzle please..

need to find a solution to belt woes on the 20VT

-------------
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel

Date Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:40
Originally posted by fufflenarnia fufflenarnia wrote:

I've had it for years, but it looks just like the 750 as luck would have it, I've even got the tray somewhere.

I'll go and dig it out and send you a picture in the next few days.

sounds good! almost a done deal thenSmile

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:43
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

lloydy

pic of the waterpump/alternator/powersteering/crank  belt shizzle please..

need to find a solution to belt woes on the 20VT
will do, hopefully sort it for you tomorrow. 

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 17:39
Hutch, any good?

Piccy of the two different breather set ups

and now fitted to the van

then fitted the little loom mount which sits on top of the coolant flange

then spent the next half hour trying to get the coolant flange to stop leakingAngry

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 18:06
oooohh

may well be shagger..  got to look and compare against the 20V

thanks marra

-------------

Posted By: max and caddy
Date Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 18:25
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

oooohh

may well be shagger..  got to look and compare against the 20V

thanks marra

Don't forget if you used diesel pulleys etc on a 20vt they will be further out due to the cam belt width being more....so would need fecking with..

Date Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 18:28
Gotta admit, the more i look and muck around with the engine, the more it looks in better nick. Just tried to move the vanes in the vnt, totally free! no sticking at all. Think i might even swap turbo's over, the only shitter so far is a perfectly good looking N75 has one of the nipples broke

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Posted By: dbug
Date Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 18:53
I guess that's the separator I need for my 1z - white kinder egg drops oil back down breather ?

Date Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 19:30
Originally posted by dbug dbug wrote:

I guess that's the separator I need for my 1z - white kinder egg drops oil back down breather ?
yep that's it, you can still buy all the parts new, around 90 odd quid

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 31 Oct 12 at 17:11

Im doing a pleasingly cheap job on the van and replacing all the vacuum/boost pipes (3mm-4mm not the big ones)
Diesel syncros also have the BIG vacuum pipe from the vacuum pump (which is syncro specific) its a cloth covered pipe. Does anyone know the internal I.D. of this hose, thinking I might as well replace it while I'm doing the others.
Cheers
Also, on looking at my vacuum hose runs, mine seems to be laid out a bit different? Can anyone shed any light on whether it will make any difference?
Bottom right of the picture below you can see the connector from the main servo with two small branches in it on mine one of each of those branches goes to to the N75 and N18. On the drawing you can see they both come off one of the branches, then split on a T piece, the line to the N75 has a check valve in it to separate it from the the N18. Mine does not have this check valve fitted. Should I fit one in line to the N75??? I have a check valve fitted on the main servo line AFTER the connector with the two branches.
So will this cause any issues? Would like to put it all back in correctly as I'm redoing it. If what I have written above is too confusing I can try and do a drawing when I trace all the hoses. Or does someone have a drawing on the vacuum hose layout for a T3 they wouldn't mind posting up?
I am also missing the vacuum reservoir, which I know isn't necessary, but is needed for vagcom vacuum tests. Maybe that's what the above missing check valve is for? Think ill refit the reservoir just to be able to test ithe system

[/QUOTE]

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 21:26
Have managed to work it out by looking at my vac lines and the drawing above. Quite simple by the looks of it (famous last words ) so I've ordered some 3mm I'd silicone hose and some 4mm. Need to pick up the one way valve, or maybe I'll find it on the spare engine.
I've picked up and engine stand from fluffernia on here, just need to work out a way of getting the engine onto it.. Then I can start stripping it, then cleaning it up

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Posted By: ..lee..
Date Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 21:32
Bolt the engine stand bracket to the engine the lift it all up and slide it in to the stand.

-------------
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 21:41
Sounds a good plan Lee, just need to work out a way getting the engine off the floor

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 21:53
Try grunting and muttering "ooh yer fucker yer" whilst lifting...if that doesn't work get your wife and mum involved...

Date Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 22:06
Down south we just say fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck really quickly

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 22:09
That might work....

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 08:44
You can borrow my engine hoist for a few days if you want.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 09:37
Thanks, might take you up on that if I can't work something out. It'll be a little while as I need to fit a flywheel on first

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 09:42
No problem, just let me know.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 10:01
Cheers, just realised I need a shit plate too. Made me have a look under my van, seems like I have the old Jx one fitted...
Any uk suppliers for that?

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Posted By: timmythedog
Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 13:05
brickwerks sell a flat one in stainless which means flywheel can be left as is.

-------------
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 16:07
Can't find it on there? Do you have a link? Also, what do you mean by " flywheel can be left as is"? Sorry if that's a dumb question

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 17:08
Scrap that, found it

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 17:44
I think there was a practice of machining a couple of mm's off the flywheel so it didn't encroach on the plates? There were questions over the viability of doing this as it possibly upset the engine's torque and general character.

-------------
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 17:45
So, no going back now. Just ordered from brickwerks
Shit plate
Flywheel bolts
Oil seal (flywheel end)
Spigot shaft bearing
Looks like I'm sorted for a flywheel, just need to get out of deepest Devon, where I have wifi but no phone signal so can sort payment/postage
Be prepared for some very stupid questions on how to strip a head, it's only nuts and bolts what could possibly go wrong

It's tempting me to rebuild this one with a few more horses. Maybe bigger injectors, maybe a bigger turbo. (vnt17) has anyone ported a diesel head? Or even fitted a pd130 inlet manifold???

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 17:50
I have a pd inlet manifold which has the input collar facing the other direction and I reckon it will make an excellent short run for my charge cooler outlet rather than the current longpipe "switchback" approach!!

have you ordered a complete JX oil seal in it's ally casing cos the afn one is very different to the jx one. I made this mistake, and ended up cleaning, "nourishing", and replacing the original. Risky, but it's been fine.

-------------
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 18:03
Quick reply as I'm lighting fireworks! No I just got the oil seal, phew! Presume that's ok?
Any pics of your 130 inlet?

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 18:13
Aah, so if you bought a JX style oil seal it might not be okay as I don't think it will mate up to the afn housing. It is said that the JX plate and seal are better so you'd need to rder the whole job, or order an afn item.
i don't think it's a 130 inlet, rather a 100, or possibly a 115. will take a photo and get it up.

You'd better concentrate on your rockets!!Smile

-------------
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 20:56
Hmm, it lists that oil seal for tdi's on the webshop. I'll have a look when it turns up

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 21:50
I have a pd inlet on my pickup....it of a AVX passat 130. A golf with a ASZ engine eft has the same manifold but its a mirror image...passat points forward, golf to the rear...I also ported the head...just a clean up and blend in job as the ports are good and feature a swirl design best not messed with..there are some pics on my pickup thread that have been neglecting as I dunno how to post a pic from an iPad!

PD inlet has been reputed on tdi forum as being the best flowing and the Afn /1z ones looked totally gash to me so went in the scrap....I'm putting one on my AAZ soon as well!

Date Posted: 03 Nov 12 at 07:31
Good to hear you've fitted one to yours, I'll be keeping am eye out for one now. I can't copy pics from photo bucket to a forum on the iPad either? Doesn't let me copy and past for some reason?
Are you able to email them if I send you my address? Would be interested to see where you ported the head, there is a few threads on it on tdiforum, but all I've seen so far is pretty aggressive removal
There Is a thread on the samba with a guy who has fitted the pd manifold along with other mods to his AAZ, last time I read it he's having overheat probs

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 03 Nov 12 at 17:08
vacuum hoses arrived today, so i'll get those fitted soon

to fit the vacuum reservoir might be a tight squeeze in the factory position due to the engine mount, time will tell.  

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 17:02
Got all the vacuum hoses fitted, nice easy job. Now routed in a nice way, tied up and protected. Swear I'm getting more and more anal about these things, but the old pipes were almost in knots.
Made a start on removing the turbo from the spare engine with the idea of sending it off for a refurb then swapping them over with the one fitted in the van (then having a go at that one myself) the 3rd nut that holds the turbo to the manifold (tucked right in next to inlet manifold) is in a right stupid place! Can't get a socket or long socket on it, can't get a spanner on it. Either the inlet manifold has to come off or maybe one of those flexi extenders for the socket might work? Can't imagine doing the one in situ in the van will be easy! Might be easier to swap exhaust manifolds and not attempt to remove the turbo while it's still in the van
Doing this as it's starting to pass a lot of oil, well I can see it seeping out the boost pipes anyway

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 20:14
I'm going to get my local stainless exhaust place to make up my air ducting from snorkel to filter and filter to turbo. Is there any reason why this is not a good idea? I would have thought one continuous piece with formed bends would be better than having lots of joins with silicone pipe? Will be refitting my syncro air filter too, as long as it fits will have a k&n Apollo for sale soon...

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 17:29
Well, got the turbo off the spare engine.
 Removed the inlet manifold to get at the last nut, so thats going to be boxed up and sent to midland turbo as mine is pissing oil out everywhere now, boost pipes swimming in oilCry
inlet manifold and inlet to head has about half the soot that mine had on it, but you can still see what a EGR does

one thing i have noticed is how much bigger the turbo oil drain id is compared to mine, will have to make a much bigger one for when the new turbo goes on

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 18:01
Originally posted by lloydy lloydy wrote:

Good to hear you've fitted one to yours, I'll be keeping am eye out for one now. I can't copy pics from photo bucket to a forum on the iPad either? Doesn't let me copy and past for some reason?
Are you able to email them if I send you my address? Would be interested to see where you ported the head, there is a few threads on it on tdiforum, but all I've seen so far is pretty aggressive removal
There Is a thread on the samba with a guy who has fitted the pd manifold along with other mods to his AAZ, last time I read it he's having overheat probs

The pics of the head are on my Single cab pick up thread...that's all i took but all I did was smooth out any lumps and bumps and blend the valve seat into the port...no real major mods to the shape of the port as such, used a die grinder and flap wheels...shouldn't cause over heating!

Date Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 18:04
Here's the only pic I can find...not a lot to see but might give an idea..

Date Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 18:50
Cheers for the pic, i'll be asking how to seat valves in a few weeks..., I'm debating what to do now. Since the turbo started pissing oil, its coming out of the section of boost pipe that has the MAP sensor pipe cut into it. Is this what people normally do? just cut the boost pipe either side of the MAP sensor? seems a weak spot to me.
What i was thinking of doing was getting one of those pd manifolds which instead of getting just a pipe to fit on, is to get this welded on  http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0016&product=FMMAPT" rel="nofollow - http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0016&product=FMMAPT
which the MAP sensor can fit into, it will also mean the EGR comes off completely and tidies up that section of pipework.
 I wanted to muck around doing this stuff on the spare engine first, guess i'll just have to it to bothLOL

so if you see any pd manifolds going cheap, let me know

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 20:27
being my usual impulsive self, i am now the owner of a pd manifold and that MAP pipe....

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 20:33
Yes...both those are ideal...my map sensor is in the ecu as its an early 1Z...but that is looking like the way forward...I'm getting the urge to AFN my van now....might have to see what I can find in the scrap,yard.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 21:08
its a lovely engine, lots of low down power. Seems like a new turbo is needed with a 50 degree install though as a lot of people are finding

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 17:05
goodies, goodies goodies!
The PD manifold turned up
as did the MAP pipe
The plan is to either get them welded together like this
or tho fit a race pipe/egr delete to the manifold, which is made for for the job  http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-1-9-8v-tdi-pd105-pd130-pd150-egr-delete-race-pipe-57mm.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-1-9-8v-tdi-pd105-pd130-pd150-egr-delete-race-pipe-57mm.html
then fit the MAP pipe with a silicone joiner to the end of the chargecooler, then a 180 bend onto the above race pipe. Cost wise i reckon it will work out the same, what with paying someone to weld the two bits together. It's more what will fit in better, as space is a bit limited

got some stuff from brickwerks as well, shit plate
and the thing that made me laugh, spigot bearing
i thought it was about the size of a bake bean canLOL

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 19:57
cleaning a manifold is not a nice job! Black gloop everywhere
but at least i can see the difference
before
after
brake cleaner and a toothbrush! might have to take it down the jet wash to reach right inside

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 18:23
I used an allard egr delete pipe on my tdi, then a silicone 180... Not all silicone bends are as tight as the one I found from ASH so check before ordering, an alloy 180 could be welded on as well as the map socket as well maybe,

Best way so shift the egr crud is a hot pressure washer, then extra lethal acid alloy wheel cleaner...come up like new with a bit of work....just a pity everything else ends up black!

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 18:28
To elaborate a little...

The egr delete pipe was chopped in half and then the ally pipe re beaded ( with a home made beader, pics can be arranged) then the 180 joiner tube is where I was going to put the intake temp sensor...but as yet I haven't as I'm thing of using the same sensor as yours, but just the temp part, not the boost...in case of future mods like Afn turbo fitment.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 20:11
Great to hear that, as I was looking at those egr delete pipes (inc the allard one) but thought they looked a bit long and thought cutting them down looses me the bead. Would like a pic of your bead maker, it it like a cut up pair of adjustable pliers with bit of weld on it?

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 20:17
How did you guess! Vise grips, exaust clamp, and a washer! Works incredibly well....hold on..camera time!

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 20:37
Ok...here it is..

And in use...the bead on the other end is the allard one, in the jaws is a practice one from the tool so a little rough but effective.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 21:08
Very nice, do you want to rent it out for a week

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 21:38
And what allard one did you get? As they seem to all have a boss in the actual pipe which looks like it will stop me cutting it down? The darksidedevelopments one doesn't have that boss.

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 21:53

You can certainly borrow it, no charges. It's a 58 mm clamp so perfect on 57 mm pipe but did experiment a bit ( me and my mate) on smaller pipes and as long as the washer goes in it does ok on them as well.

I won't need it for a good while I reckon so glad to see it get some use.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 21:55

And what allard one did you get? As they seem to all have a boss in the actual pipe which looks like it will stop me cutting it down? The darksidedevelopments one doesn't have that boss.

Erm...it was an ebay purchase....will have a look but I do recall the pics were different for the items! Off to look.....

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:01
Preeety sure this was it..170934921390 ebay item number.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:01
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

You can certainly borrow it, no charges. It's a 58 mm clamp so perfect on 57 mm pipe but did experiment a bit ( me and my mate) on smaller pipes and as long as the washer goes in it does ok on them as well.

I won't need it for a good while I reckon so glad to see it get some use.

That's great, thanks a lot. I'll pm you my address

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:07

Preeety sure this was it..170934921390 ebay item number.

Nice, just ordered that

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:09
Just double checked...that's the one I got, has a handy vacuum fitting on it as well for a pressure line to a gauge in your case or n75 in mine.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:17
Ah, does the n75 go to the manifold on a 1Z? Mine goes straight to the actuator on turbo. As you say though, would be a good place to put a boost gauge

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:51
The 1Z turbo is controlled in a very similar way but the big difference is the valve connects into the boost pressure rather than the vacuum pump, t still duty cycles the valve but its a different valve and is ve,ry similar to the 20v turbo petrol setups...the turbo is a waste gate turbo rather than a variable vane....maybe you know this already...I like this for tms simplicity but of course the down side is the boost doesn't develop as low in the revs as the Afn. At the higher rpm s the engine is basically the same unit, same pressure, the difference is in the injectors and mapping so in theory as the revs climb the power output should be the same ish..

Have you attempted to remove the injectors from your Afn head yet?....or glow plugs even? Mine were so close to snapping!

Date Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 23:09
I'm slowly learning about the different engines, been a bit of a crash course the last 6 months...
The injectors and glow plugs were out when the head was rebuilt, so should come out easy. Guess I'll find out if I go for The bigger injectors

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 20:20
Hopefully this size oil drain will be good enough
Black aeroquip fittings, so not to spangly
Basic plan is to come out of the sump with a 90 bend, and up to the turbo with a 45 deg flange. When i tried this before i couldn't get a AN-10 fitting onto the turbo due to clearance issues, this time i've got a much better fitting which is basically a push on barb. I'll post a pic when it arrives

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 20:45
That's what I used but I did use the chav tastic spangle type..yours is a bit different but should just as effective,

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 21:00
Because I got the tdi manifold, the turbo doesn't line up with the oil return. It looks tidier using a 90 to move it over a bit. Thinking of doing something similar with the oil feed. I've found a pre made one for £40 on that darkside site. I don't think I could make it for that. The oil return worked out at just under 60 fricken quid!

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 16:23
some more stuff arrived today, turbo end of oil drain, with as you can see, quite a good internal diameter.
whats the best thing to use to seal a threaded fitting on a oil carrying pipe, is ptfe ok? or is there something more commonly used for auto use like a sealing compound??
the banjo to fit to the original AFN turbo oil return so the oil seperator drains to the block and not a catch can
with a mann provent oneway valve to stop the block venting back up out the banjo

flywheel also arrived to day, thanks to vealmonkey.. 
Half tempted to fit the flywheel and poo plate to the engine in the van, it'll all be my own work on the van then. Not filled with confidence on removing the engine though

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 17:34
Got the MAP sensor pipe off today, and yep, just been sawn through, even got some swarf still in it

The Allard egr delete pipe arrived as well, cheers for the link mr caddy
Midland turbo did a fantastic job on my turbo, almost looks new
 Found out this evening that the pd manifold needs the mount cut off the top of it as it fouls the chargecooler, not really an issue though

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 18:06
What did they charge for the turbo rebuild? I think I paid about £400.

-------------
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 18:20
As my core was rebuild-able it was £180+VAT
That inc new bearings and oil seals 

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 18:29
My manifold hasn't got that mount on top! Bit strange that....is ita a passat one? What's the part number?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 18:34
its from a Galaxy/sharan
038129713AG

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 18:36
Ahh...a shazzer part....mine was a AWX passat one....that sensor pipe you got off forge...60 mm? Will a 57 mm sillicoon hose stretch on it ok? I'm tempted..

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 18:47

as with all things tight, if you gob on it first it will pop inLOL
Do you know if ptfe tape is ok to use on a threaded fitting for oil? 

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 18:53
I think so....can't see why not really.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 18:58
i thought it was ok, i'll be able to remove any bits that sheer off before fitting it anyway. i have tried a silicone 57mm on that forge pipe, its tight, but does go on

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 19:04
 no purty shiny stuff turned up todayCry 
 Just some silicone hose
and a few 3/4" barbed elbows for the breather pipe. (i'm using see thru' pipe for this, so i can see how well the oil sep works.
 Amazingly the wife has ok'd me to get this all fitted on Sunday(it's our wedding anniversary!?!?) i'm a bit freaked by that, but shant argue.

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 22:27
Erm....it's a double bluff tactic / trickery....I would really advise you avoid the trap and leave the van alone Sunday...only had one aniversary myself but I'm sure you will regret not falling in line and doing romantic stuff...

Date Posted: 15 Nov 12 at 09:50

Erm....it's a double bluff tactic / trickery....I would really advise you avoid the trap and leave the van alone Sunday...only had one aniversary myself but I'm sure you will regret not falling in line and doing romantic stuff...
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 12 at 16:56
She knows her place........

She's in charge

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 15 Nov 12 at 17:54
got on with draining the oil, pic of the syncro only (i think?) drain plug. The pic also makes me realise how much ground clearance i have
 The turbo came off pretty easy, not one seized nut!Smile
The oil i could see dripping out the turbo looks like it was coming from the oil drain, can see here where its been leaking past the gasket
No doubting its been kicking oil into the boost pipes though
 You can also see the oil return is a lot more restrictive than the new hose i'll be making up
 I'll be stripping this turbo down myself, quite interested to see how it all works

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 16 Nov 12 at 14:35
Bit of progress today, filed off the bracket on the manifold so it cleared the chargecooler
and fitted the new oil return flange to the turbo
and to the sump as well
before i fitted the turbo i fitted the banjo for the breather drain
bolted the turbo up and fitted the oil return hose, It has to loop around like that so the hose doesn't kink, i may change the 90 degree into sump for a 45 as i think that might work better
EGR blanking plate fitted
New inlet manifold bolted up
New MAP sensor pipe fitted up
I've decided to fit a flexi pipe for the oil feed, so i'm waiting on that now, and i need to cut down the EGR delete pipe and fit the 180 bend to join inlet manifold up. Then i can plumb in the oil separator...

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 18 Nov 12 at 15:54
The new oil return route looks better

Joined up the inlet

Unfortunately as you can see, not quite lining up, so I had to unscrew the bracket for the c/cooler so it lined up better

It's close but hopefully it will clear the engine lid

Just need to get a right angle attachment for my drill so I can make new holes to screw the charge cooler bracket back on.
Then the boost pipe between turbo and chargecooler might need to be lengthened as I don't think there is enough give in the pipes

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 18:34
Got the oil separator all plumbed in inc the drain to crankcase, used braided hose for the new breather pipework which should prove if the thing works..

Fitting it there as its just about the only place it will fit and keep the drain away from the hot turbo.
Got the right angle drill now as well, so can bolt up the charge cooler soon. Then just new oil and filter and vroom vroom..
Then maybe I can actually start on the other engine

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 21 Nov 12 at 18:23
Chargecooler is now all bolted up in place and all bost pipes connected

The new oil feed pipe arrived, gone for a flexi so no worries on the solid one fracturing, dont think I'll have the time to fit it until Friday...

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 25 Nov 12 at 21:16
Ok! The van is all up and running, as you may know if you follow the 8090 thread. All looks and feels good.
So I can now hopefully get this thread back on track. I've started soaking the injectors in plusgas with the aim of getting them out in the next day or so, I'm sending them off for new nozzles? I'm going for HFLO-X and think I am going for the next size up (0.216) this will work out at £300 delivered which will inc them pop testing and setting the opening pressures for both stages. This small upgrade will give around a 10bhp increase, and a lot more with a remap. Think I'll just drop them in. Saying that I will most likely swap them with the injectors in the van.
I've also plusgassed the turbo, as I'm going to strip it and clean it. Hopefully I'll get the flywheel on and get the engine up on the stand!

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Posted By: ..lee..
Date Posted: 25 Nov 12 at 22:05
You can get 130 with just a remap on the AFN or if you go .230 and 1.5 bar I think closer to 150. Just mind your box though ;)

Lee

-------------
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 07:07
I'm quite untrusting of remaps, never believe they will not change the drivability of the engine. Have you got a remap?

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 09:15
They generally make things much better, but it's very difficult not to use the extra power and then as Lee says the gearbox has got to absorb the hit! 
I've always gone with REVO, but there are other goo ones out there. I have not done my afn though, as in my Caravelle it pulls hard enough for the time being and I always get it rolling in 3rd before using what's available.
If you could get a map that opened up the higher rpm's rather than added to the lower torque I reckon I might go for it. It is as if someone has waved a magic wand over your engine baySmile

-------------
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 13:22
I was thinking injectors as the ones fitted to the syncro are a unknown brand, so quality could be poor. I'm getting 30mpg at best around town and around 32mpg on long drives. My thinking is better quality nozzles= better spray pattern = better mpg, also the slightly bigger nozzle basically injects the same amount of fuel, but just puts it out quicker, which is apparently better for mpg but worse for NOX. (well, this info is all taken from tdiforum, I don't profess to know all this first hand)
Has anyone actually chipped a afn in a T3? Seems like most people have fitted bigger nozzles??

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 15:49
Eagerness got the better of me, and I decided to whip the injectors out in the half hour spare before the kids get home, what could possibly go wrong?...... Answer? Nothing within 15 mins, all injectors out undamaged and in one piece!

I can see how they could get seized though, but a quick twist clockwise to free them off and they jiggled out relatively easy.
Can't quite get good focus, but you can see the nozzle part is pretty sooty

So they are all boxed up now for shipping, but .205 or .216 hmmm
Hopefully the turbo will come apart just as easy.....

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 16:54
These are the nozzles i've gone for, in the .216 size
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/hflo-x-race-nozzles-for-1-9-2-5-ve-engines.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/hflo-x-race-nozzles-for-1-9-2-5-ve-engines.html

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 28 Nov 12 at 16:48
started to strip the turbo today
Firstly removed the circlip from the actuator arm (this was actually so rusted it just disintergrated)
then removed the 3 bolts holding the actuator to the turbo
actuator removed!Smile
Next step was to remove the remaining 3 bolts around the turbo
Once they are removed you can split the turbo in two, for this i used a cold chisel, braced the exhaust part of turbo and gave the bearing housing a whack
The result is a turbo in two parts
This spacer just pulls off, there is three in total
First part of VNT mechanism can be removed
Three hex headed bolts can then come out
Followed by the second part of VNT mech
one side
reverse side
You are then left with three spacers in the turbo housing
Second part will be cleaning it all up, Mr Muscle or i might soak it all in coke overnight

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 03 Dec 12 at 15:55
So, put off cleaning this long enough..
VNT mechanism now pretty clean
exhaust side of turbo de-sooted
I then split the compressor section from the bearing housing and gave that a clean
Then got onto the bearing housing
compressor side
before
after
and the exhaust side
before
after
Now just to re-assembleSmile

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 04 Dec 12 at 16:43
Removed the flex plate from the engine

The oil seal has had it, unfortunately the TDI one I got from brickwerks is too big, so I'll have to get the right size one before fitting the flywheel.
Question on the spigot bearing, I can see where it goes, but how far do I knock it in? As far as it goes? Any help on that would be great
Got a space cleared in the garage now for the engine stand, and a neighbour is lending his hoist. Also need to get the correct size bolts so I can bolt the engine to the stand.
So be prepared for loads of questions like flywheel bolt torque, and other numpty questions....

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 04 Dec 12 at 17:18
Oh, and now Im getting to the stage of fitting the flywheel. How do I get the timing mark in the right place? I can set the cam and pump with the tools. But how then do you get the flywheel on in the right place?
It's a 1Z flywheel
And does anyone know the size of the bolts that bolt the bellhousing to the engine block? Is it M12? Need to get some for the engine stand

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 04 Dec 12 at 18:17
Ok, answered the question, bolts are M12 and the flywheel only bolts on one way only, so all good there

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 04 Dec 12 at 21:12
Bored this evening, so put the turbo back together
Everything had a wipe in engine oil, as it's going to be unused for a while
spacers back in and held in place with a bit of grease
VNT mech dropped back in, taking care to get the orientation right so the actuator lines up (dowel hole at around ten oclock, to the right of hex head bolt is where the actuator locates in)
spacers X3 and locating pins fitted
video of the VNT mech, you can just see the vanes moving inside
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/lloydy2010/VIDEO0024-1.mp4" rel="nofollow">
turbo all back together
and a video of how 'free' it all is now
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/lloydy2010/VIDEO0025-1.mp4" rel="nofollow">

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Date Posted: 05 Dec 12 at 15:52
Spigot bearing in

Question time...
When i removed the flex plate there was a thin washer/spacer either side of it, Do they go back on either side of the flywheel, or just the crank side, or neither?
this is the one from the crank side
and the one from the gearbox side
Any ideas?

-------------
16" syncro multivan

Posted By: rowlesy
Date Posted: 05 Dec 12 at 19:40
crack plates. put em back on as you took em off. only ever seen bottom pic ones on clutch kits before and thats usually better quality aftermarket stuff.

**edit** have you sorted a crank seal yet? ifso where from? ta x

-------------
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net