URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67944
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 15:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Converting my LT to run on LPG
Posted By: AndyT
Subject: Converting my LT to run on LPG
Date Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 16:55
Hi Folks,

There's been a fair bit of discussion recently on this topic so I thought I'd put something together to explain the basics and answer common questions.
It's a work in progress so will change from time to time.

How much does it cost

A professional conversion costs about a grand depending on the size of tank.
They will also register your vehicle on the database as required by dvla and your insurers etc.

How big a tank should I fit

My view is as big as you can, in rural areas lpg can be scarce or relatively expensive.
My tank is internal and 120l, at least one other member has replaced the petrol tank with a large lpg tank and fitted a smaller auxilliary petrol tank.

I only keep a tenner or so's worth of petrol in the tank at any time, so if this is done safely it's an option to retain interior space.
I start all year round on lpg, petrol is for emergencies.

Can I convert my LT myself

Yes, but you will need a certificate/registering as above.
There are guidelines but no real regulations at the moment, however dvla etc will require proof that the installation was carried out by a competent person.

Some suppliers will do this if you buy the parts from them, parts being around £500+vat, and inspection £150ish assuming it .passes first time.
You may also have to travel a fair distance for the inspection, and have to weigh this against having the conversion done locally.

How much will I save

Varies all the time, where you live etc.
As a rough guide though I'd suggest that for every £100 you spend on petrol you'd save £40.
If anyone disagrees with my maths then say so and I'll edit accordingly.

Will it damage my engine

Don't believe so, any engine able to run on unleaded can be converted.
There is an additive which can be used, but personally I haven't tried it.

Are there any servicing issues

Not really, a couple of adjustments on the lpg system and small modifications to the engine timing.
At the end of the day if it runs right, no missfires etc then it is right.
The major saving is in the cost of fuel.

Can I run my cooker, heater etc from the same tank

As far as I know, not possible.

Lpg systems use liquid from the tank, whereas cookers etc use the gas.

Can I buy second hand

Yes, but don't buy a box of bits, they are often incomplete and unsuitable.
A kit from a landrover (thirsty vehicle) might be suitable for example but I'd rather buy new with instructions/warranty etc.

Long term reliablity

If purchased from a major manufacturer, don't see a problem.
My RR was converted years ago, getting hold of the software was a problem, but parts are available on ebay.
LT's don't have this problem as there are no black boxes, in 5 years I have had no problems whatsoever. Just minor tweaks.

This is just the start of a topic so please ask any questions here, rather than creating new.

Cheers

Andy

-------------
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Replies:
Posted By: mackney
Date Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 20:22
This is great stuff Andy I'm differently getting my LT28 done this month just trying to find the best please to take her in Derby.  

-------------
mackney.com on tour with a LT28 petrol 4 speed low roof 1991

Posted By: terry bug
Date Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 21:11
Great post mate and your right about rural areas. My brother converted his petrol Range Rover some time back. And got caught out on a trip to Wales. But since then he has downloaded a list of all LPG selling petrol stations to his iPhone and sat nav. Ain't been caught out since   

Posted By: bryankelly
Date Posted: 31 Aug 11 at 12:47
Hi all

Just wanted to comment on the issue of running gas appliances from the same tank as the engine.  I have a 1980 LT28 2.0 ltr. with a very early Calor Gas LPG conversion which has the ability to run the engine, cooker/oven/grill, refridgerator and a gas heater, all from the same tamk.  I believe that the condensor transforms the gas from vapour into liquid at the engine, which would account for this.

Another concern for Gas, is the valve seats on early engions (pre unleaded). If possible and not already fitted, hardened valve seats should be fitted in order to avoid damage from long-term running on gas.  I've heard people suggest that running on petrol periodically is helpful

Thanks for all the useful information, as the LPG system is probably the most important one I have dealt with on the van, and now after a lot of time and expense, finally have it optimised and running very well.

Cheers

Bryan

Posted By: Dreamcatcher
Date Posted: 31 Aug 11 at 17:38
Andy,s doing a good job,
If anyones interested I will post the picturs of my underslung LPG tank and auxiliary petrol tank.

-------------
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper

Date Posted: 02 Sep 11 at 13:25
The calor gas system is a new one to me, didn't even know they converted vehicles.

The issue as I understand it is one of safety, but no doubt there are technical solutions.

With lpg there is a solenoid on the tank which shuts off the supply when the ignition is off preventing any leaks. This is contrary to what you need for a cooker etc, which is a gas supply when the engine is not running.

With a gas bottle the regulator does this and you turn it off before you drive off, don't know how you achieve this with an lpg system as the regulator would have to be on the lpg tank.
If it was inside the vehicle then any connecting hoses would be exposed to damage and the possibility of venting the tank.

If anyone comes across a specific tank which allows both types of connections then please post details. Standard tanks are relatively cheap, be interested in the extra cost.

-------------
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Posted By: jodielee
Date Posted: 09 Sep 11 at 10:53
Thanks for this Andy, very helpful, I was considering doing this but was quoted £1800! are there any reputable and reasonably prices places conversion can be done that anyone recommend in the bristol area?

Thanks

Jodie

-------------
1996 Preg LT35 Diesel PAS LWB Luton :-)

Date Posted: 09 Sep 11 at 12:19
Hi Jodie,

Not sure it's possible for an LT diesel, (too old!!)  but you could try the people where I did my course.

http://www.mintlpg.co.uk/adwords.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.mintlpg.co.uk/adwords.php

They should at the very least be able to put you in touch with someone in the Bristol area, who has completed their course.

Andy

-------------

Posted By: Jam-Man
Date Posted: 24 Oct 11 at 13:27
Hi, with regard to having hardened valve seats fitted. I personally would not bother as the cost of that will make the conversion unviable.

As some of you know I run an LPG converted Ford 3 litre V6 in my LT (it's in September issue of Classic Ford Magazine if anyone is interested!) and these engines have the softest valve seats in the history of motoring! However, to counter this I have fitted a drip feed vlve lube system which was only a few pounds literally. It is a system designed specifically for this problem and any LPG installer you go to who is worth his salt will know about this. I have now done 5 000 miles since the conversion on an engine untouched since 1979 and all is still well with it. I can get the name of it and post it if anyone is interested. I buy refills of ebay very cheaply and with it set to drip correctly it lasts about 500 miles per litre.

Posted By: mat_the_cat
Date Posted: 24 Oct 11 at 13:55
Debatable whether this should go in here or useful link, but the most up to date (in terms of price) list of LPG stations is www.filllpg.co.uk

It is user updateable, so I just update it whenever the filling stations I use change their price, or when I visit a new station. The list of stations is not complete, but the more people that use it the better this should get.

-------------
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!

Date Posted: 24 Oct 11 at 13:58
Now that is useful 'cos I can never find a decent LPG availability chart for long journeys... Cheers.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 11 at 14:21
Petrolprices.com is what I use, let's you search by town or postcode.
Don't know how it gets updated but seems accurate so far.
You do need to register (free) and select lpg as the fuel, but you can search upto 25 miles from a postcode etc, ideal if touring.
Most Morrisons seem to stock lpg btw.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 11 at 14:30
Perfect. I'll use both which should ensure I don't get caught out again. Having a 3 litre 'under the hood' isn't such a good idea when you don't have LPG!!

Date Posted: 24 Oct 11 at 15:24
You want to try my Range Rover, got problems with the fuel pressure regulator and nobody makes it anymore.
Reckon it does 7mpg on petrol!!, fortunately doesn't take long to warm up and switch to gas when I get the equivalent of 29mpg.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 11 at 21:58
Ouch! I can squeeze 18-20 out of the LT. Just...

Posted By: G vwlt31
Date Posted: 07 Mar 12 at 18:54
hi
   i want an lpg fitted to my lt31 2.4 petrol ive looked online there seems to be a lot of diffrent 
   systems anybody out there with a 2.4 vwlt point me in the right direction on best system to go
   for.thaks

-------------
g vwlt31

Date Posted: 07 Mar 12 at 19:17
I don't think the hardware matters too much, just check ebay etc for spare part availabilty.

What I'd be looking into is how long the company has been around, and how near they are to you incase there are problems. It's a pretty basic system on an LT and relatively little to go wrong.

My Romano system has been problem free for years, and I've worked on other systems without major problems but not running correctly.
The main problem seems to be ignition timing, modern vehicles with electronic ignition can compensate for this but you don't have that on an LT.

Recommend you change the coil, plugs and leads and maybe consider a electronic points upgrade for future reliability. Cost is insignificant compared to the £1k for the conversion.
Wherever you choose, collect the vehicle early in the day and go for a drive so that there is time for any problems to be fixed.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 12 at 19:26
Thanks for the info andy,is the romano system fitted to the carb or is it an injector type system,what size is your tank n how much is it too fill regards graeme  

-------------
g vwlt31

Date Posted: 07 Mar 12 at 19:51
All LT's need is a device fitted into the air intake which then feeds into the carb, sort of looks like the top of a gas hob.
My tank is 120L and holds 93L of lpg. Cost varies but around 72p/L is probably average, fuel saving currently is about 40% as you get around 10% less mpg on gas. I get around 250 miles before I need to look for a top up.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 12 at 19:58
Thank for the info much appreciated.g

-------------
g vwlt31

Date Posted: 07 Mar 12 at 20:15
Hi
I am running an AC Stag set up on my LT31, they have been manufacturing for a long time.

-------------
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper

Date Posted: 07 Mar 12 at 20:36

How did it cost for fittment?is it direct injection or linked to the carb many thanks graeme.

-------------
g vwlt31

Date Posted: 07 Mar 12 at 20:47
Hi  Graeme
As andy says the gas defuser is fitted in the intake to the carb.
You can only fit the direct injection systems to vehicles that have an ECU to control the fuel injection.
I paid £800 for the system.

-------------
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper

Date Posted: 14 Mar 12 at 22:45

had a quote from an lpg fittment garage in edinburgh,oooft, ffs,looked at a place in south wales reckon ile head down there,even with the cost of edinburgh to wales will still save money and some,just a case of persuading the other half to holiday in wales LOL only been on the site couple of weeks and had great help in getting parts and info thanks all for your knowledge and input.g

-------------
g vwlt31

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 08:50
can you post the details of the place in wales please mate?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 09:55
Is it Profess by any chance? If so I've not heard great things about them IF there should be a problem with the install.

-------------

Posted By: volition82
Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 10:27
I've just had mine done (2.4 petrol) in south wales.  I'm guessing it's the same place http://www.professautogas.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://www.professautogas.co.uk/  .  My system cost was £750 including vat but a quick look at their site suggests their prices have gone up a little bit, mine was done in january with a discount apparently. 

A couple of things to bare in mind, the major thing is they are not registered with the LPG trade body.  A lot of companies won't insure you unless this is done and I think it also stops you registering it on-line.   The good news is that they will register it for you but it involves them having it for an extra half a day (most systems are fitted in a day 8am-6-8pm) and at the time cost me an extra £86.  I had this done and personally i'd recommend doing it otherwise it could make insurance etc very difficult.

I had a 78 litre tank (spare wheel type) fitted underneath on the passenger side in the middle (just before where the exhaust points out of the body).  That gives me 62 usable litres (you can only 80% fill them).  I've only just started using my van so my mpg figures are a bit vague but before on petrol with a couple of tank checks I was getting around 14/15 mpg local short distance driving.  I've done one mileage check so far on lpg which was 13.42 mpg, so not bad.

The system was an AC Stag 300 ISA.  The AC Stag systems are made in Poland and the owner of the company is also polish which is why he can do them cheaper than other companies.  He goes over to Poland and buys them direct from the factory.  I can't seem to find an english manual for the system so if anybody can point me in the right direction i'd be greatful because they have filters which need replacing every 10,000 miles and i'd rather do that myself if I can.

The system was fitted well but mine wasn't running quite right when I picked it up.  It was holding it's revs slightly when de-accelerating.  I was disappointed in how they delt with this to be honest, the owner wasn't there at the time just an older welsh guy who kept on trying to blame it on a sticky throttle.  The carbs new, i've never had the slightest problem with a sticky throttle before, when I switch it over to petrol it runs fine so it's not that it's the mixture on the new systemAngry  When the owner came in he got it running a lot better eventually inbetween constant phone calls, all very hurried.  From my limited understanding lpg sytems do need to bed in which takes around a 1000 miles, with older non ecu vehicales and single point systems this takes a little bit more tinkering.  I don't know if AndyT agrees with that, he knows a lot more than I do?  The owner showed me how to adjust the system which I have since done and it is now running fine, no difference between that and petrol, other than the smell which I quite like!

Overall would I have another system fitted there yes I would because the cheapest local quote was £1200 but it is more costly than you first think.  The sytem cost was £750, plus the £86 for the registration, hire car fuel (which I didn't budget for as I thought it would be a day but car was free and lpg) and going over the bridge twice.  All in with fuel both ways (I live 80 miles away) it cost £950, give or take.  G vwlt31 with the distance you live i'd say your probably better off getting it done somewhere nearer to home to be honest.  Oh, and one last thing they take a £100 non-refundable booking deposit, unless you cancel within a good time period.

-------------
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 10:39

Mat_the_cat posted while I was typing so I should point out that the phone calls while I was there were about systems not running right.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 10:49
Great info, thanks guys!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 10:52
That's the sort of thing I've heard as well - I'm a member of an LPG forum and the consensus seems to be that Profess can be good value if it all works well first time, but difficult to resolve if problems occur. Kind of understandable, as rectification eats into their (small) profit margins!

The other thing that would worry me is the time pressure to get it all done in a day. Even with a number of people working on it the implication is that the job may be rushed. And once they've taken the system out on the road and set it up, how do they then check the changeover to gas with a cooler engine?

The first vehicle I converted did need a formal checkover for the insurance - the one we have now (converted it last Feb) the insurance company didn't ask for anything. But it will limit your choice if not registered with UKLPG.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 14:58
Ok a few posts here so will try to answer the issues raised in one post.

Only worked on one vehicle converted by Proffgas and it wasn't running very happy, but the installation was neat enough. Problem was simple though, timing was set on the wrong side of TDC.

Generally speaking lpg systems on LT's are simple and reliable but I would never collect a vehicle at the end of the working day, wait until the morning and collect it cold and if there are problems you've got a whole day to get it sorted. Particularly important if you are not local.

Don't know why it cost £86 to get the vehicle registered on the database, costs me £15 with Autogas. Either way it needs to be done, because you are legally required to inform DVLA and your insurance of the conversion. Even if your insurance don't need the cert DVLA will.
If you convert the vehicle yourself expect to pay £150ish for the cert.

Inside the vapouriser is a rubber diaphram and after a few miles it stretches and needs adjustment. There are usually 2 screws that adjust the mixture, 1 on the vapouriser and 1 in the pipe (power valve) which feeds the gas to the carb.
Try the power valve first by screwing it in until the engine note changes, then back off half a turn at a time.

If that doesn't work make very small changes to the vapouriser and repeat.
Shouldn't take long to do and worth repeating whenever the engine cover is off.

I always take the vehicle for a spin (up and down hills) with the engine cover off and adjust as necessary, tweaking the timing at the same time. Its noisy as hell but I've never had anyone come back with a problem.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 15:33
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Don't know why it cost £86 to get the vehicle registered on the database, costs me £15 with Autogas. Either way it needs to be done, because you are legally required to inform DVLA and your insurance of the conversion. Even if your insurance don't need the cert DVLA will.
If you convert the vehicle yourself expect to pay £150ish for the cert.

Profess aren't UKLPG registered therefore I assume they need to get their work inspected before it can be added to the database, hence the charge.
Going from the Directgov site it doesn't mention anything about a certificate - simply written evidence from the garage which installed it.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054" rel="nofollow - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054

Therefore to satisfy the legal requirements, going on the register isn't required (paper certificates are no longer issued - see http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/index.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/index.php ). But as already mentioned, probably advisable as UKLPG continually lobby insurance companies to only insure vehicles that are on their register.

Sorry to sound pedantic, but a lot of what I do at work involves interpreting standards so viewing everything in black and white becomes second nature!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 16:01
Yeah the £86 is for someone to check it over.  They drive the vehicle to a place in cardiff and they do it.  As AndyT mentioned it's normally £150 but profess have worked out a deal with them because they do so many.  I was unsure about doing it and when I set off to have the system fitted I wasn't going too but changed my mind while I was there.  I'm glad I did in the end.

For future reference what do they/you change the timing too?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 16:20
Just to add my two pence worth.
professautogas.  were the company that installed my system  in 2010 for a cost of £700 all in.
The installation was very neat I removed the main petrol tank so that I could have a 110Ltr LPG tank fitted and installed a 7Gal aux petrol tank. After the inital bedding in period the van has run well without any problems and I have now covered aprox 6000 miles. I sent the certificate they provided together with the V5 document to DVLC who provided me with a new V5 showing petrol/gas as the fuel type. I informed my Insurance company sending them a copy of the installation certificate and recd confirmation all was ok. I cant believe how easy it was.

I was so pleased with the work and cost, that I also got my daily car converted. This is fuel injected so the cost was a couple of hundred quid more.

Big smileBig smileBig smile all the way to the bank!!

-------------
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 16:53
http://www.ac.com.pl/en/doc/346/instructions-and-manuals" rel="nofollow -

You can download  manuals for AC stag systems here. Once the page is loaded  click the union flag to convert to English.
http://www.ac.com.pl/en/doc/346/instructions-and-manuals

-------------
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper

Date Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 17:13

I've looked through the site and can only find one for the newer 300 isa2 manual, unless i'm missing something or half blind?  I've e-mailled them so hopefully they will point me in the right direction.

-------------

Posted By: Hils007
Date Posted: 22 Aug 12 at 01:24
Hi - I don't know anything about hard or soft valves but had my LT28 converted to LPG about 4 years ago. The cost was about £1600, included the first service and has been great. I drove 3500 to Montenegro - LPG is considerably cheaper over there (apart from Switzerland) - long way to go for a tankfull though. I got 2 tanks underneath which gives me about 120l (plus expansion) and I average about 400 miles to a tank.

Downsides are: slightly less power (noticeable going up the Alps); sometimes work done on the engine means that the gas needs re-calibrating; when parked up for a length of time the valves can stick on/off/halfway between - and also the initial cost. 

I very seldom run on petrol now but keep abouT3 litres if petrol in the tank. Generally it's been great and more than paid for itself over the past few years as I get about 6 miles to a litre.

-------------
Beauty and the Beast

Posted By: familywagen
Date Posted: 06 Jun 13 at 11:07
Hi Andy,

It is possible to run your appliances and engine off the same tank, though the tanks are hard to come by.

I have a tank with a liquid feed for the engine and a vapour feed for the appliances fitted with a drive safe regulator on the vapour feed.

Been using it for a few years now and it works great, I did it because I didn't want to be in the situation of having gas on board but not being able to use it. in reality it can be a bit of a pain as you have to watch you consumption on trips to make sure you have enough fuel for cooking/heating, though this is slightly mitigated by the fact that an 'empty' tank as far as the engine is concerned still has enough fuel for an overnight stop.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 13 at 15:57
I agree it's technically possible, I think calor were the first to do this decades ago.
Problem is that it's more expensive, and in a few years time when it needs replacing (10 max) where do you get another from.
Tanks slung underneath can fail the MOT if in the examiners view they are excessively corroded.
I'd rather go with 2 standard tanks and fittings.

Bought a Disco a couple of months ago with underfloor tanks which were removed to weld new sills on. Garage MOT'd the vehicle minus tanks cos they weren't happy, and they were only made in 2006.

I've cleaned them up and painted with chassis enamel, but I'll change them before the next MOT for piece of mind. Because they are standard tanks cost is around £100 for the pair.

-------------

Posted By: frenchy82
Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 08:59
I've seen this advertised locally, has anyone got an opinion on whether it's worth getting and would fit an lt28 2.4?

L.p.g kit . £85 (bargain)
All the bits you will need to set it up apart from some lpg pipe and connectors.
These closed loop single point systems cost hundreds new.
Grab a bargain and save a tonn on fuel
Selling because we are moving to bristol and dont want to take it with me .

I had it fitted to a 3lt v6 nissan
Its a lanzi renzo . Lambda control system / 2
It has a bit 70ltr tank

-------------
1995 LT 28 2.4L petrol mini bus

Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 09:33
Depends whether the tank will fit your van. It's unlikely the mixer will, so budget for a new one, and if the tank is over 10 years old and your insurance requires a UKLPG inspection (some don't), it will fail. Also, is it working now? If not why - some spares for older systems can be hard to get hold of.

I'd be inclined to go for new if it's your first install, that way everything should work and you'll have tech support from the supplier rather than you wondering whether it's a fault with the kit or a mistake made during installation...

Is the kit from a 1985 Nissan Leopard by any chance?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 09:58
Thanks for the advice Mat, think new is probably the way to go, just can't afford a new system at the min. 

Also, after searching around on forums it looks as though spares may be hard to come by so I'm going to give it a miss.

-------------

Posted By: mrhutch
Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 10:02
Single point closed loop systems can be had for little money these days anyway..

-------------
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel

Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 10:50
How much do you spend on petrol a month? If payback time for a system is only a matter of months, then it might make sense bunging it on a credit card...

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 11:09
Nothing at the minute as I'm still attempting to renovate it to it's former glory! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 13:16
No good for an LT mate - no electronics to connect to.
Got the same system on my Range Rover V8.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 14:00
I assumed the 1995 LTs had a catalyst...if not (were vans exempt from the ~1993 cat introduction?) then yes, you want a basic open loop system unless you weld a boss in the exhaust for a lambda sensor.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 17:21
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

How much do you spend on petrol a month? If payback time for a system is only a matter of months, then it might make sense bunging it on a credit card...

I worked out that you save around £1000 for every 6000 miles you do. No brainer if your keeping the van for a while.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 18:46
Really is a no brainer, lots of places that will convert your van for a grand.
Parts plus safety test can save you around £250, if you have the skills etc.

-------------

Posted By: The_blue
Date Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 16:00
Hi guys, I read various forums and see the the T3 guys change engine timing for LPG. 

Is that needed on an LT? (2litre)

Mines having a new exhaust tomorrow so i'm having a lambda boss fitted to convert to closed loop :) 

-------------
Moving to Team Talbot :O

Posted By: Josh n Bee
Date Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 16:17
Hi AndyT, I notice you say you start on LPG all year round whereas others say that I should start on Petrol then go over to LPG. Why the difference of opinion?

-------------
Elsie, VW LT 31 2.4l. 1987

Date Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 22:41
The_blue; a bit of information on ignition advance and LPG http://www.acl.com.au/web/acl00056.nsf/0/359683e8a538a3e64a2566c0007bb33e?OpenDocument" rel="nofollow - here.

Josh n Bee; with a basic single point gas system you can start on LPG if you wish, although there is no enrichment (but it needs less than petrol) and no increase in idle speed so maybe be easier to start on petrol. Would certainly be a good idea to use the petrol system occasionally to prevent gumming up, but I ran on gas for as long as possible.

Now I have a gas injection system (not on the LT) I have to run on petrol for a few minutes, but that's another story.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 13 at 21:24
Hi all, had the van converted to LPG by Tubbs in Tenbury Wells and drove 400 miles on it straight off which went well! Had an issue with power when braking at roundabouts etc, took it back to him and he fiddle which made the problem better but not perfect. He thinks it is something called the ram effect which is to do with the way the air filter takes in air and should be easy to fix. Doing that tomorrow. Has anyone had this issues with their LT? I found that braking heavily led to battery and oil lights flashing and it seemed as if no power was getting through. Anyone had issues with something called the ram effect? My question to all you knowledgeable people is what can I do to set the engine up for optimal efficiency on gas? I read somewhere that colder plugs helped but is there anything else? I reckon we got around 17 mpg with mostly motorway driving on the way up. Can I improve this at all? We have two 45l tanks slung underneath running just under the side door and the other one opposite if anyone is interested. How did you get your tanks in?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 13 at 21:08
Just to let everyone know, we took the van back to Tubbs and spent a few hours working on it with him yesterday. Put new holes in the front air scope and retuned the reducer and this fixed the problem! So apparently LT's can get ram air effect on gas! It also seems that the auto choke might be messing us around but that is a different story! So if anyone's van starts stalling when braking/cornering/etc then it could be this. And Tubbs really knows his stuff (and bought us fish and chips, top bloke!), would definitely advise him to anybody.

-------------

Posted By: LT31iow
Date Posted: 27 Mar 15 at 14:46
Hi Bryan, 

I contacted VW Breeze in Southampton on another issue, but I asked about LPG conversions, mentioning I was going to get a kit from a Cambridge firm, and he said it could burn out the valves. 

When I talked to the guys at Cambridge months ago, they wanted every specific about my engine, so I assume they take this into account when ordering the kit that your van needs. What you say about the valves, would this be related to what VW Breeze mentioned ?  What do you think ?

Cheers, Rob.

Posted By: LT31iow
Date Posted: 27 Mar 15 at 14:48
That was mean't to go onto Bryan Kellys' comment, oop's.

Posted By: ottoMan
Date Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 07:57
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

The_blue; a bit of information on ignition advance and LPG http://www.acl.com.au/web/acl00056.nsf/0/359683e8a538a3e64a2566c0007bb33e?OpenDocument" rel="nofollow - here.

Just the info I was looking for. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 14:36
I'm not aware of any major problems with LT engines, but there are additives available which sort of drip feed into the inlet side when the engine is running to help with this.
The savings on Lpg are huge and in the long term will cover installtion costs etc, but do the maths first.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 15:36
I've done the math and the savings worth every penny spent onn the instalation.
I used LPG on an old Sierra 2.0 litres carburation and worked like a charm. I was always runing on LPG and never had a problem.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 04:50
OK, question for AndyT, as I see that he is the expert here: how do you deal with ignition timing ?
The LT I got has electronic ignition installed on the original distributor. If LPG needs more advance in low rpm's and less in high rpm's, how do you solve this ?

Date Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 08:25
With basic systems there isn't any perfect solution.
It's about adjusting timing to match the majority of your driving needs.
I live in Wales, lots of hills etc and with my old bus being underpowered most of my driving is at high revs. Same if I go on holiday, lots of motorway miles.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 10:17
Hi ottoman
Thought I'd jump in here. I have electronic ignition on my LT and running on LPG. Although I have the 2.4 six pot, I have the engine timing set with the strobe as standard ie 7deg before TDC . I have experimented with other settings as has been variously recommend, but have always found the 7deg to be the best.

-------------
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper

Date Posted: 11 Oct 15 at 07:00
Thanks guys. I am aware that the setting is a compromise, not ideal. After LPG conversion, most of the driving will be with LPG, so I will search the best settings for it. An yes, the driving is most at high rpm's, that's the way a petrol engine likes to be driven anyway.

I am gathering as much information as I can before the conversion, because we don't have any professional here to adjust a carburetor and ignition timing anymore. For injection LPG system there wouldn't be any problem (everybody knows how to use a computer). But with carburetors is a lost art. And I am having problems finding an workshop to make the conversion - either they don't have conventional LPG systems anymore, or the van can't get in the workshop (it's to tall), or they have the system and the place, but the price is equal to the one of an injection system. Hope to get it done this week, thou. 

Cheers !

-------------
1980 Pop Top LT28 2.0 Petrol converted by Karroseriefabrik Voll von Wurzburg

Date Posted: 11 Oct 15 at 09:17
You shouldn't need to change any carb settings , unless there is an existing problem with the carb settings. The LPG system is a stand alone system and only uses the butterfly in the carb to regulate the gas flow. The carb settings make no difference when on LPG.

-------------
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper

Date Posted: 11 Oct 15 at 10:23
Yes, I know that. But you need to adjust the LPG AFR, which is something that nobody seems to know how it's done for a carb system - that's what I meant. Luckily I am working with carbs and manuals adjustments every day (for motorcycles) so I have a clue on how the best AFR should feel.

I'll keep you posted on how it works on LPG - as soon as I find the shop to make the conversion.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 15 at 04:05
OK, I managed to do it. I found the workshop and they have done a pretty good job. It was more expensive than other quotes I've got, but it was the only place that actually accepted to do the job when they saw the car. Every where else I was getting a good price by the phone, and then they were changing their minds when they saw the car.

The engine runs fine by now, no miss-fires. I'll test through the city for a week then we're off to Hamburg - a 2500 miles long test, for the engine and the camper itself in cold autumn conditions.

-------------

Posted By: Alonline
Date Posted: 15 Oct 15 at 08:07
Good luck. All the best.

Posted By: Davewave
Date Posted: 05 Oct 18 at 20:52
I have just brought an. Lt with lpg , I was told it's not been used for a while . Does anybody know how to check if they are safe , before I turn it on !

Date Posted: 05 Oct 18 at 22:03
Do some googling and find a local installer who will check the system for leaks etc.
There should be a date stamped on the lpg tank somewhere, they need to be checked after 10 years.
It's definitely worth getting the system working as it will roughly half your running costs.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 18 at 22:12
Did try one , but he seemed not intrested . We are down in East Sussex , so not many local choices

Date Posted: 06 Oct 18 at 06:54
If you can't find someone then check the tank, if it's less than 10 years old you could try putting a few liters in. If it's over 10 years then a new tank isn't silly money, maybe £100 or so.

If there is a leak when you fill it you will see and hear it. If all is ok then buy something like this stuff, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17247-VMD-LPG-Gas-Leak-Locator-Detection-Detector-Spray-400ml/292746571163?var=&hash=item44290e2d9b" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17247-VMD-LPG-Gas-Leak-Locator-Detection-Detector-Spray-400ml/292746571163?var=&hash=item44290e2d9b

There is a solenoid on the tank which opens when the ignition is on and the switch is in the right position, you should hear a click.
Now work your way from the tank to engine checking every connection with the spray.

I'd still recommend you have the system safety checked even if you have to travel, but if it's working it's worth spending money on to get it set up correctly.

-------------

Posted By: nooberdoober
Date Posted: 06 Oct 18 at 10:19
Come over to fareham and I'll have a look at it for you. Monday or weds next week I'll be working on mine and don't mind giving your Lpg the once over.

-------------
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome

Date Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 17:30
Thanks for the offer , the van is not on the road for a couple of weeks , doing oil leaks .
But if I get no joy up this end . Will take you up on your offer !

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net