Print Page | Close Window

1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!

Printed From: The Brick-yard
Category: T4 Section.
Forum Name: T4 Chat
Forum Description: Forum forT4 specific chat.
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53482
Printed Date: 20 Apr 24 at 01:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!
Posted By: mallott
Subject: 1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!
Date Posted: 18 May 10 at 21:10
Hello everybody, come the weekend i shall be picking up my first camper. It's a t4 1.9td, which is of unknown mileage and history. The van itself has done 260k+ so i doubt the engine is original.
The plan is to change to a 1.9 tdi, i've tried searching for conversion details but not really found anything detailed as of yet, anyone got any links they could share?

I'm no virgin when it comes to engine conversions, i built a mini with a 1.8 honda vtec in, thing is it took me 2 years! not an option with the camper as i need to have it back on the road quick sharp.
I would like to look into the later pd engines, need to look into wether the immobiliser can be removed from the ecu though. Then rebuild it and make it look nice. All bushes and bearings on the van will be replaced as well.

I will share some pics next week.

Cheers, Mat

Replies:
Posted By: JB
Date Posted: 19 May 10 at 20:13
Get a passat/audi/whatever (volvo did a 2.5tdi which is basically the VW engine, and good for silly power).. Swap bits.. Make a few bits.. Flog the rest.. Bob's ya mother's brother..

-------------
If it ain't broke - fix it till it is..

Posted By: T4trickster
Date Posted: 21 May 10 at 06:28
I was one of the first in the UK to do 1.9 tdi into T4 in fact the second..... ring and ill give you the run downWink
01536 830030

Date Posted: 27 May 10 at 16:38
Originally posted by T4trickster T4trickster wrote:

I was one of the first in the UK to do 1.9 tdi into T4 in fact the second..... ring and ill give you the run downWink
01536 830030
Thanks for that, i will call sometime over the weekend, here she is. Needs a new bush in the gear linkage that i got today, and she needed a GOOD polish, mostly done now but taken me 3 nights. Just got to fix the nest of budgies living underneath now, time to lose the undertray me thinks!

Date Posted: 30 May 10 at 18:42
Ok, started today fitting central locking to the van, the kit is off fleabay sold by rightclick about £43 all in iirc, first impressions are very good, the fobs could be mistaken as oem vw really.

Anyway i took a bit of time making sure it was all laid out nice in the van, binding all the wires (all wires are supplied loose) making everything neat and tidy.

The wires for the rear door need extending, and i forgot to order a sliding door contact, doh! at the moment only the drivers door is wired up, passengers should be done tomorrow. Really happy with the result so farSmile

The magic box lives quite happily behind the fusebox tucked down behind the wheelarch rubber, will take a pic of the solenoid in the door tomorrow.

Mat

Posted By: staffydog
Date Posted: 31 May 10 at 19:15
I have fitted a few central locking kits in the past and none have had a satisfactory way of getting the wires into the doors unless an original gaiter is fitted to the vehicle to carry the wires.This eventually causes the wires to fracture and work intermitently. 
I have just fitted a kit to my T4 having used gaiters from an LDV that was in the scrapyard (best place for it) The gaiter has a grommet type fitting either end and is small enough to be able to fix into the original blanking plugs and allows the wires to bend without kinking.

Posted By: wind welder
Date Posted: 31 May 10 at 19:56
Originally posted by staffydog staffydog wrote:

I have fitted a few central locking kits in the past and none have had a satisfactory way of getting the wires into the doors unless an original gaiter is fitted to the vehicle to carry the wires.This eventually causes the wires to fracture and work intermitently. 
I have just fitted a kit to my T4 having used gaiters from an LDV that was in the scrapyard (best place for it) The gaiter has a grommet type fitting either end and is small enough to be able to fix into the original blanking plugs and allows the wires to bend without kinking.

Hi you will wish you had gone to the extra of fitting the gen VW bellows!

The bellows go through 3 skins  the door the outer skin of the van and the inner skin of the van the problem with T4's  is the space between the inner and outer skins is actually outside the van and will be noisy, cold in the winter and if you are really unlucky wet too.

I have fitted loads of T4 kits  (I used too do a bulk buy on another forum)and will only use gen VW bellows for the above reasons.

Cheers Trev.

-------------
T4 pedal box exchange service
07989 403806
trevor.miles@catchfire.co.uk

Date Posted: 01 Jun 10 at 16:41
I did intend to get the proper bellows, couldn't be arsed to make a special trip into plymouth to get some though, i need to stick some more wires through for door speakers soon so i can fit them then. Still waiting for the sliding door contact, all the rest is done and works fab!
Had to fit another horn as the original dropped offEmbarrassed i had a double horn from an alfa gtv in the garage so thats gone on.
Now looking at a change of seats as the drivers is proper fooked, i am keeping the double front, and am thinking of recovering the double with the fabric from the rear seat of the donor. How easy/succesful this will be, remains to be seen!
Other than that i've been looking at speakers, what a minefield! Think i'm going to go with JBL as thats what i've got in the house and i like them!

Mat

Date Posted: 02 Jun 10 at 20:59
Well cl is all done, well chuffed! I rang vw about the bellows £17.50 odd eachOuch Seems a bit steep to me!

Posted By: james72
Date Posted: 02 Jun 10 at 22:18
Hello Matt, nice bus, should of bought a T3 thoughWink

-------------
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6

Date Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 08:19
Bonjour James and Matt, how you guys doing? long time no see! Don't know if you cottoned on from 16vmini but i've sold the blue meanie, a guy from holland bought it, he's going to change it to lhd! nutter. he may as well start from scratch!
I was looking at t3s for a long time, nearly bought 3, all the decent ones seemed to be oop country a fair way and i didn't have enough spare time to go driving round. Then this came up and i snapped it up!
Scooby lump going well?

Date Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 17:35
I'm good thanks mate, I'd heard you'd sold the mini, decided to sell ours as well,  it's been on ebay for a week or so, lots of interest but no offers enough yet,  got one guy who's offered 6.5k which isn't bad, going to hang on for a bit more, want 7k really.

The bus is going very well, just had a repaint so it's all proper clean now,   Matt's finally seen the light and bought a T3,  as you'd expect it's got the wrong engine in itLOL

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic46148.html - http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic46148.html

-------------
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6

Date Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 21:28
Good job again chaps, think i'm going down the 1.9 tdi pd engine with this, been looking at donors today. Need to keep diesel, got used to not filling up so much!  Next time i'm over your way i'll give you a bell and come round for a nosey! We ended up taking 6.5 for ours in the end, could have held out for more (7) but mot insurance (and tax, hah!) was coming up, would have needed 4 tyres so we decided to get rid then.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 10 at 21:45
Upgraded the choones in the van, now i have real sound, not just a tinny mess coming from the dash!

Also when i bought the van, the mileage was unknown. I did a search for the mot history and the last recorded mileage on an mot was 249k, a year had passed so i thought it would be around 260.

While i was faffing around with the speaker wires i pressed the back of the dash and noticed the mileage display flicker, i then ripped the dash out to find a small piece of paper stuffed under the mileage lcd display, dodgy bastard! anyway it now works and i have 254k!

I've also treated a bit of rust that was under the drivers door seal, need to get some paint on it soon.

Turns out the later pd engines are a no no, so i am on the lookout for a reasonable mileage tdi donor

Mat

Date Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 21:32
Seems  i have found myself a passat donorSmile just got to get it back from deepest darkest cornwallConfused

Date Posted: 20 Jul 10 at 18:13
This afternoon i have taken delivery of the passat, and started the strip down, it's absolutely lashing it down so just been taking the dash apart, the battery is on charge so i cant get it in the garage yet!

Date Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 19:27
After charging the battery i attempted to start the car.... oh dear, was turning over but no start up, i noticed the glow plug light was not coming on. i checked to see if the glow plug relay was working and all seemed to be fine.
Had a quick search for 1z non start which led me to tdiclub and a very helpful post on there, turned out my 109 relay had gone kaput with one of the pins breaking the solder. So i took the cap off and resoldered all the joints popped it back together and vroom straight away, Bonza!

Got the engine out this afternoon and started to remove the loom but its raining again and my back hurts, beer time!

Will carry on tomorrow and hopefully be in a position that i can get rid of the passat shell.

I have taken some pics but it just looks like every other dirty engine!

Date Posted: 22 Jul 10 at 21:00
The loom is all out of the shell, i believe i have removed everything i need! Whats the bets i have forgotten something!

Date Posted: 23 Jul 10 at 16:59
Got rid of the passat today
 need to start cleaning and stripping now!

Date Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 19:35
Pull your finger out mate,  Matt's SVX bus passed it's MOT todayEvil Smile

Got a new project too 

-------------
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6

Posted By: dangerousdog
Date Posted: 25 Jul 10 at 20:51
what year/engine code passat are you using...as Im getting fed up with my slow smoky abl

-------------
soon be a new van !

Date Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 09:35
James, you and Matt have too much time on your hands! It's a very cool vanSmile 

Dangerous dog, its a 1z out of a 96N passat Its cost me £205 to date. I don't really consider my van slow, just a leisurely driveLOL Its not smoky either! Hopefully i will be able to sell the ABL and recover most of my costs (crosses fingers)

Mat

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 21:21
Got the head off today, it's easy to see why getting rid of the egr is a good idea

Thats the centre 2 inlet ports, so i carried out a little experiment by filling the ports with water, the port in the centre of the pic held around 75ml compared to the very far left inlet which held 100mlShocked i then did a rough scraping out of the crap and ended up with this

Bear in mind there is still a load of crap stuck around the valve!and thats just 1 port! i will finish stripping the head tomorrow and get it all cleaned up.
New parts are water pump, head gasket set and cambelt kit.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 10 at 20:56
I've got a little bit done, finished lapping in the valves earlier, i can rebuild the head now, repainted the rocker cover. in go faster red! I've run a flap wheel round the ports to smooth them off a bit, stuck the new water pump on and got the head gasket on waiting for the head.

Mat

Date Posted: 18 Aug 10 at 19:50
The head is on,belt on, tapped out the 3 holes for the engine mount, ready for the end of the month when i have 2 weeks off to get it done.

Today, i did the quick shift mod. Superb! also took the oppurtunity to give everything a good lube and what a difference. Well worth the time and (little) effort.

Posted By: Desp Dan
Date Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 11:07
Good Work, Keep the Pictures & Info coming Chap Clap

-------------
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut

Posted By: light
Date Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 15:41
don't know if 1z is the same as a aaz concerning bolt holes on the block but you got to drill and tap the mounting holes for the drivers side drive shaft support mount ,worth checking as there's very little room to do it when engine is in as i found out to my cost  also power steering pump needs one of the bolt holes re tapping if i remember correctly {the one facing the inner wing?}.What are you doing for the bleed pipe on the head on the 1z  can you drill and fit a outlet in the same way as you do on the aaz ,as im looking to do a 1z swap  sooner or later

Date Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 17:23
Ok Light, not sure i was aware of any of those! None seem to ring a bell with what i have read on the t4 forum! Do you have any pics and bolt sizes and then i can check against my block.

Forgot to mention i bought a passat hazard switch and put in a cheapy boost gauge from ebay.

What a pile of pants! it makes little chuffy noises and is so innacurate when your only running around 11psi and never in the negative! so i bought one of these to fit instead

a bargain at £6 delivered, much easier to see, was going to go for the 15 psi version, but i may want to go above that in the future! The only downside is that it doesn't light up, oh well never mind!

Date Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 18:31
Just went out and took some snaps, the bolts you see hanging out are m8 all other holes are threaded m10

and what the engine looks like at the moment. Apologies for the super blurry pics!

Date Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 18:39
No pics but if you look at the o/s drive shaft on the van it is in two pieces with the inner cv joint in the middle {it don't bolt to the diff} theres a support mount that bolts to the back of the block . On the aaz{golf eng} i done, the bolt holes were m8 and not used on the golf and need to be m10 for abl mount. When you take the abl out it will be simple to see ,I did not have that luxury as the van came with the engine in the back in bits .Do you need to drill the head on the 1z  like on the aaz ? P.S power steering pump was also m8-aaz m10 abl

Date Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 19:13
Just seen the new pics you must have posted them when i was typing .The bolts shown {m8}the three nearest the fly wheel needs to be m10 if my memory serves me right but there again it could be the three with no bolts in, i would wait until you have the engine out before drilling and tapping just to be safe  same goes for the power steering pump bolt holes but you will need to re tap  to m10 also check the turbo support bracket

Date Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 20:20
Ok i will check when its out and report back! with regards to the bleed in the head, first i've heard about that, when it stops raining i will check the van. You have to use the coolant flange from the abl on the side of the head, i guess it's part of that?

Date Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 23:04
No on the abl there's a small bore pipe above the housing, on the end off the head {opposite end to cam pulley} that goes to the expansion tank with out that you get air lock problems as the highest point on the engine is know the back of the head as the engine, when in the van is leaning forward as opposed to laying backwards as it was when in a golf/passat that's the problem with the aaz ,dont know if its the same for a 1z that's why i asked the question as I'm looking to go the 1z route myself and put the aaz in a t3

Date Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 07:55
Ok in that case yes iguess it will need to be done as the expansion hose outlet is on the front hose outlet on the 1z.

Posted By: golfgtioz
Date Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 19:31
nice build thread , good to see another tdi conversion on the go , ive had mine fitted since christmas and its never missed a beat yet .

keep us updated , watching this with interest  

what are you doing about the dip stick tube , just noticed the blocks not been drilled  

-------------

CARLISLE , CUMBRIA t4 1.9tdi

Posted By: ELVIS
Date Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 20:08
Originally posted by mallott mallott wrote:

Ok Light, not sure i was aware of any of those! None seem to ring a bell with what i have read on the t4 forum! Do you have any pics and bolt sizes and then i can check against my block.

Forgot to mention i bought a passat hazard switch and put in a cheapy boost gauge from ebay.

What a pile of pants! it makes little chuffy noises and is so innacurate when your only running around 11psi and never in the negative! so i bought one of these to fit instead

a bargain at £6 delivered, much easier to see, was going to go for the 15 psi version, but i may want to go above that in the future! The only downside is that it doesn't light up, oh well never mind!

As i understand it , it will never go into the 'negative' as you put it.
   As its a diesel engine and therefore dosnt have the vacum a petrol engine has due to not having a throttle body.
  A 'proper' diesel gauge will always start at 0.

I think.

-------------
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Date Posted: 21 Aug 10 at 09:32
Yeah thats why i went for the 2nd gauge in the end. It's just a simple air pressure gauge. I thought i wouldb be ok with the 'proper' boost gauge but it was just shit.

Golfgtioz, i haven't drilled the dipstick hole yet, the old sump is still on, i will do it when the sump is off. I saw your posts on Aggies build thread, good to hear you've got all the bits swapped over and working good.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 09:50
The conversion started in earnest the other night, started ripping all the front end off, no dramas. Had a good bit of time on it yesterday, engine and box are ready to come out, need to borrow the father in laws engine crane, will be getting that tonight.

T4 loom is out, tdi loom is in, i'm a little concerned with a couple of loose wires, but picking up some wiring diagrams later so should be able to sort that out. Started looking at how to mount the throttle pot.. hmmmmm.

How it looked yesterday morning

Madness in the garage!

Unravelling the spaghetti

How she looks at the moment, just engine mounts to undo. Thats the tdi loom laying on the carpet.

I'm using the t4 airbox, i have removed the little trumpets in both parts. I hope to use the tdi clutch, just got to check on the splines to make sure they are the same. Alt and ps are the t4 ones.

I have used the passat manifolds and turbo, (this keeps the turbo (hot) further away from the inlet manifold) i am making my own downpipe which i gather is the main reason everyone uses the t4  manifolds. This also means i am using the passat oil filter housing so i don't have to make a new oil feed pipe. I will however have to fiddle with coolant hoses if i want to keep the electric water pump jobbie.

Anyone know what the vac hoses go through to on the other side of the bulkhead?

Should have more tomorrow night.

Mat

Date Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 12:29
If the passat filter housing is not a angled one like the abl it will hit the crossmember if my memory serves me right not 100% shore though

Date Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 12:56
the vac hoses could be for the re circulation switch on heating system? Any chance of a bit more detail on whats involved in the wiring of the tdi loom to the abl fuse box and whats involved with the immobilizer

Date Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 15:21

On the back of the fusebox there are 3 white plugs, pull out abl ones, plug in tdi ones. That serves the majority of the loom, there are a couple of loose connectors that unplugged seperately on both looms, it is those that i am going to check on later.

I need to pull out the header tank wires from the abl loom and run those through. i also need to check on the rev counter feed, i've got a feeling that is one of the loose wires i have not reconnected.

You need the clutch and 2nd brake switch and its bit of loom, these swap with another connector next to the white ones above.

The immob on mine is tied into the same connector as the brake light switch so i swapped that connector round, it is pretty straight forward.

You also need to swap one relay position and add another but i have not done this yet and will take a piccy when done.

I must add that my passat loom did not require any of the splitting from the lighting loom that the golf looms need.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 16:31
Cheers will be looking for a passat then any idea whether the afn{110hp} is any different P.S the vac hoses are for the heater recirculation

Date Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 20:24
You need a b4 passat, it was the b5s that had the afn and i dont know what wiring differences there will be. The afn has variable turbine geometry and slightly larger nozzles. not sure on any other differences. 

Date Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 20:59
afn{110} passats are available 96 on i don't think the b5 was until a few years later and are basically a Audi A4 with different panels

Date Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 21:28
Had a little google 95+96 used the afn 110 but not in the uk by the looks of it, b5 is 97on so looks like its got to be a 1z

Date Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 13:11
I got a fair bit cracked off yesterday, abl is out, all bits swapped over , didn't manage to get the box back on as the local motor factors didn't have a new tdi clutchAngry, i couldn't order it before as i wasn't 100% on wether it would fit the t4 splines, which it does.

Light, no more holes need drilling and tapping, i did use a tap to clean out the threads as they have not been used before.

the bracket on the abl block. top bolt is m8, bottom m10.
just got to stick the clutch on then sling it back in!

Posted By: OOO 2 LOW
Date Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 15:01
Hey Mallot, I have got a new clutch plate in my workshop you can have , it is only a centre plate  i.e no cover  or thrust bearing  but if it helps you can have it today. FOC. 99.9 sure it was bought for an old 2.5 tdi T4 (Intercooler I think)  yours if you want it.
Terry 07771 862464 (Launceston)

-------------
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can

Date Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 15:11
Right got it  in my hand  Plate for T4 5 cylinder diesel 12/90  -  228 mm  074 141 031F or possibly 180677944769 this last number could be wrong  any good for you ? Terry
24 splines

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 16:29
Well that means i put the wrong bolts in mine as they are now m10Confused 

Date Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 16:31
was the power steering pump on the back of the engine and is the clutch a dual mass

Date Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 08:27
Terry, thanks for the offer, i think the 2.5 boxes are different splines, i'm picking one up this morning and not taking any chances with the release bearing or plate, it gets done right first time.

Light, ps pump hangs off the back of the block yes, you can see it in the pic above, just above the driveshaft flange.
I think the top hole on the gearbox bracket is 10mm, just with a 8mm bolt in! Clutch is single mass, afn is dual mass.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 09:15
yep understand, just following the thread with interest, thought this plate  may have got you out of trouble yesterday -  still F.O.C. if someone wants it. It is new.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 10:57
10mm hole in the bracket, that explains why i drilled and taped it ,check the pump bolt hole on the face,facing the inner wing as i got a m8 in mine and is like a dick in a shirt sleeve on the bracket, and the belt is forever going slack due to the bolt loosening don't know if the bracket is worn or it should be m10

Date Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 12:57
Originally posted by light light wrote:

is like a dick in a shirt sleeve 

LOL

All bolts for ps pump were m8, it's on now and can't be arsed to take it off, it wouldn't surprise me though, the  box bracket bottom hole was big enough for m12 and had m10 in! Don't know if they made em large to allow for movement or inaccuracy! Locktite and crank em up?

Anyway, the clutch and box is all on, but it's pissing it down at the moment, it's due to clear up later so all on hold til then.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 16:05

The raid dried up about 45 mins after i finished today, sods law!

Some piccies because everyone loves piccies!

Rather tight for the inlet pipe! need to see how much movement there is at a later time

At least its back in now, well done meClap

Date Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 17:31
Compliment your commitment didn't expect you to do much today because it hasn't just rained it has pissed it down all day up untill about 5pm and I live 13 miles away. Yeah well done you.

What I find really impressive is that if you study the pictures carefully,  he has done all this with a screwdriver and a dustpan and brush - not a spanner in sight - that's clever.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 18:07
Did you check the oil filter housing for clearance as i seem to remember when i put the aaz from a golf in mine that it interfered with something crosmember/rad fans/ under tray . After three and a half years things become a bit blured so it could have been on something elseConfused

Date Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 20:06
Don't know how the dustpan and brush slipped in there! must have not been feeling well that day!

Light, the oil filter housing would probably clash with the undertray a little, but i'm not putting mine back on.

I've started to connect up bits of loom, tightened a few bits and bobs. just broke the little t piece that comes off the header tank, DOH.

With using the passat turbo and manifolds the flange that comes off the turbo is different in style and position, i'm having a stainless flange made up and have got a job lot of 2.5" bends off fleabay to knock up a new exhaust.
I should be acquiring a cossie intercooler later in the week, this should go perfectly under the number plate, i've got to cut out some slots in the bumper, hopefully it shouldn't be too obvious.
The inlet pipe is tight but it shouldn't get any closer with movement, if it becomes a problem in the future i will have to make a shiny ally one! I believe it will be ok though.

Also had to do the head bolts the final 90', i couldn't do it on the floor as i was just turning the engine! Thats fuggin tight!

Thats all folks

Date Posted: 07 Sep 10 at 14:30
Yep that last 90 degrees are worryingly tight

Date Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 18:59
I've had a day off the van today, had to go get a couple of bits from Plymouth this morning, then spent the rest of the day on the moors paragliding, our first day of decent weather for a while! Some bits for the piccy whores

I've had to make a new downpipe as the turbo is in a different place than on the abl

This is what the relay board looks like. wiring is now at a stage where IT STARTS woohoo. No exhaust or cooling system though so i shut it off straight away! Got to order some intercooler hose joiners. I'm happy it works though!

Date Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 19:23
Ahh! haaaa! see he has got  tools.Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 14:19
More fiddling today, all fluids changed bar brake fluid, i will do that when i next change the pads. Obviously that means the rad and plumbing is back on, i've been looking at the intercooler pipework, the tdi manifold to intercooler pipe will remain unchanged and in the original position, the other side of the intercooler will come down the cambelt side of the engine. Got to order some hoses now.

Yeah my tool count now includes hammer chisel and torque wrench!

Date Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 16:46
Hi Matt, well done worked hard on that -- try http://www.siliconhoses.co.uk - www.siliconhoses.co.uk

-------------

Posted By: AggieT4
Date Posted: 12 Sep 10 at 22:21
Good work fella i dont come here often but stumbled upon this thread by chance,bit late in the thread now for advice but for the next tdi convertors or if you wanna take a step backwards-the clutch on the 1z motor is 228mm diameter the same as the 2.4 and 2.5tdi and also by chance the same as the 2.8/2.9 VR6 engines,so you can fit the clutch from the VR6 as an upgrade to the tdi unit.The splines in all the 02B T4 gearbox's are the same and so will take the VR6 clutch also (unless the 5 cylinder has the dual mess flywheel,this can be replaced with a solid flywheel from a pre 98 2.4 and the VR6 clutch used).There are many uprated VR6 clutch's available as a further upgrade if your going to tune your motor but my VR6 clutch is holding 140bhp and 230ftlb torque and still holding 2 ton of van without slippage.
The turbo from the ABL motor is a garret T15 the same as the 1z (unless its fitted with a KKK) and the cartridge can be swapped into either housing.The ABL turbo and manifold can be fitted to the 1z motor with a bit of die grinding near the egr blanking plate for clearance,doing it this way means you can use the same exhaust and air intake pipes and makes the conversion easier.

Nice work on the downpipe best of luck with the wires and enjoy your TDI when its up and running,im sure you will wish you had done it years ago!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 11:51
Cheers Aggie, i was finding it difficult to get info on clutch splines and sizes, what i did get seemed to contradict everything elseDead The tdi unit is 228mm so it's an upgrade of sorts.
For me it was just as easy (well not really!Embarrassed) to use the 1z manifolds,i was making my own exhaust, the inlet is larger bore and facing the right way for me and it keeps the turbo further away from the inlet. Plus i can flog on my abl stuff!

This morning i have been fiddling around with the accelerator pedal, and i fitted my downpipe. Ran it up for a little bit as well, it doesn't like it with no induction pipework!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 17:51
Cheers for the pics of relays ,whats the score with the obd connector has the abl got one or do you fit it with the 1z, or is the abl {if it has one } inter faced with the 1z ecu some how.Have you had to do anything with the head regarding the pipe from the header tank .

Date Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 20:25
Obd connector is under the steering cowl, it requires 1 wire swapping over on pin7. i've not done anything on the head, going to park it on a very steep hill to bleed it through, i've not seen any other conversions with anything done there. Plus i'm a bit reluctant to go drilling my head!

Date Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 19:32
Yes i was reluctant to drill the head on the aaz i put in mine but done it on the advice of others and later noticed that there is a bleed screw on the feed for the heater matrix ,plus the heater matrix is higher than the engine which have made me very sceptical on whether it needed to be done in the first place so i will be interested to See how you get on .Is the wire on pin 7 on the obd coming from the 1z ecu and the others from the stock harness/obd ? was it one of the two wires you said had now home in a earlier post

Date Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 20:16

My van had an immobiliser and the pin 7 wire loops in with that iirc. The tdi one does the same, i soldered the tdi wire to the t4 wire at the connector as the pin on the tdi one is different. So now i have the original and the new, play it safe eh! all other wires to the obd socket are original van ones. I have loads of open connectors around the fusebox area, some of these were not connected on the van god knows about the others so far!

Posted By: sm4rt
Date Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 23:42
Just stumbled across this thread and didn't realise the amount of effort and research that goes into swapping to a non-standard engine ... bloody amazing!

Sounds like there's a few of you nutters out there that have already been down this route and I'm sure the additional info helps, even if it's just moral support ... keep it up mallott - I routing for that day it's up and running ... good luck.

-------------
Sm4rt

... Flying the flag ...

Date Posted: 15 Sep 10 at 12:15

You say that you know have the original and new ,are you referring to immobilisers or obd,s or both .Why i ask is you mentioned selling the abl stuff of ,and the immobiliser on the abl {the box} is matched to the receiver on the back of the pump ,although you can remove them with a bit of messing about{the receiver} it would be much easier for a potential buyer to just swap the box,{thats what i done on the aaz} just a tought .P.s. 1z passats there a lot harder to find than i thought  there either dead or holding there money but the hunt goes on cheers

Date Posted: 15 Sep 10 at 15:05
original and new wiring, the connectors for the t4 immob are different to passat, so i just unplugged t4 and plugged in passat, keeping the original loom in place. A 1z golf will do mate, Penbryn over on t4forum has done a simpletons wiring guide for the golf, which i believe should be free to access from the 20th or so.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 10 at 15:59
Simpleton's guide sounds right up my street ,yea i no the golf is the same but liked the idea of the separate loom on the pasat as aposed to separating the lighting loom and what have you with the golf {electricry its all witch craft to me} I've always gone mtdi with one exception and that was afn  a4 into a sj410 of roader but used virtually the complete loom including the fuse box ,it ran fine until it saw water ,ended up mtdi  so want to do it properly this time ,i will take a look on the t4forum cheers

Date Posted: 20 Sep 10 at 19:48
Still not got my intercoolerAngry 

On a lighter note it was my birthday yesterday and i got a nice pressie

Is nice with the quickshift mod tooSmile

Posted By: jimmy-james
Date Posted: 21 Sep 10 at 18:27
Good work fella, looks really good and i like the custom downpipe. Was your ABL turbo and intake no good for some reason, mine were spot on and it allows use of the standard downpipe which makes it soooo much easier. BTW i have registered your interest for the chip and socket deal on the T4 forum SmileSmileSmile

-------------
T4 Addict!

Date Posted: 22 Sep 10 at 16:36
Abl turbo and intake was fine. I was gonna make my own exhaust anyway so that was not a concern, i figured it might be easier to upgrade turbos at a later date, the turbo is further away from the inlet, so radiated heat will be less onto the inlet, the 1z inlet looked a lot better flow wise than abl, i guessed it would be easier to sell the abl lump with the turbo on.
I agree though it would have been easier to use the abl stuff and i would have definitely have done that if i had a decent exhaust to start with!

Keep me informed on the chip, good value for a proper map vs crappy box!

Date Posted: 02 Oct 10 at 17:45
Ok so the intercooler finally turned up yesterday, not bad eh!?
Spent this morning getting it fitted up, gonna work gooooood!

It's not finished being plumbed up yet, just ordered the final bits of hosework i need, you can just make out the slot i have cut out in the bumper in the last pic, not too obvious thankfully!
Not long now i hope!

Date Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 15:05
Well i am rather ashamed to say that i only just managed to get the van finished this morningEmbarrassed 
The combination of working that little bit more, nights drawing in, a science degree in progress, and having my wife walking a lot more meaning our other car was always available,  means that i have only just got round to sorting it!

What a difference though, makes it a little flying machine, great fun to drive nowLOL I am also glad to report that apart from having one intercooler hose blow off there have been no other teething problems.

For anyone considering doing the swap, it is worth it! Would i do anything differently now? only using the abl turbo i think. 

Date Posted: 13 Jan 11 at 18:45
It seems the cold had done my battery in during the engine swap so i had a quick measure up and got a very large battery from fleabay, other than that just been enjoying driving it, i've swapped the drivers seat again, i did have a 5 series beemer seat in there, but it sat very high and with all the adjustment gubbins on the side i couldn't lower it without hitting the door pocket.
It now has a Leon 20vt seat which is uber comfy, i did have to shorten the seat base but thats cool, well happyBig smile

Posted By: jason k
Date Posted: 13 Jan 11 at 20:13
good work fella, was a great read , well doneClap

-------------
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Date Posted: 13 Jan 11 at 23:40
Good to see it done still trying to over come my fear of wires before i start on mine got a donor for the engine now  97 golf  with 91k  on it

Date Posted: 14 Jan 11 at 18:48
Penbryns wiring guide over ont vwt4forum will make it a piece of piss for you mate as its golf based http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78009 - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78009  

Give me a nudge if you need any help mate.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 11 at 17:39
Popped out the other night to take some pics

I sold my full width bed today and will more than likely be making a 3/4 to replace it, i reinsulated the drivers side rear panels, using expanding foam in all the sections and then fibreglass, and remade a plywood panel to be the rear of my units.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 11 at 11:25
Originally posted by mallott mallott wrote:

Penbryns wiring guide over ont vwt4forum will make it a piece of piss for you mate as its golf based http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78009 - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78009  

Give me a nudge if you need any help mate.
cheers ,read the guide ,it don look as daunting as i first thought but i will wait for the weather to warm up a bit before i start  ,i still have a couple of questions  where have you mounted the ecu and what have you used /done with the throttle pedal ,i was wondering if it is possible to use a 2.5 tdi pedal box and just swap the throttle pot over ?

Date Posted: 31 Jan 11 at 20:11
Yes you can use the 2.5 pedal and there is a little bracket on the box to mount the pot, no need to swap the whole pedal box. I butchered the passat and t4 pedal to make a frankenpedal.
The ecu is on the bulkhead next to the heater fan intake, i drilled 4 holes and used rivnuts and ally bolts to hold it in place. The egr control valve is plugged in electrically but no air hoses attached, just so it 'thinks' it operating the egr.

I should really take some pics under the bonnet and stick em up here!Lamp

Date Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 12:48
cossie intercooler

ecu location in engine bay

Leon seat on shortened base, i still need to move the base further forwards so the missus can drive it!

intercooler pipework

Date Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 20:26
Hello chaps,thought I would tag on the end of this post instead of starting a new one again.
Well my abl is still smoking and the gearbox is whining now too....
So just been out and bought a 1z engine and box from an N reg vento but all the wirings been chopped and I havn't got an ecu.
so can I fit the abl pump and turbo to the 1z (which injectors should I use)
and will the gearbox extension fit on to the box that came with the engine,or do I have to get my transporter box rebuilt.

cheers Brian

-------------
soon be a new van !

Date Posted: 30 Apr 11 at 12:27
Hi Brian, the vento gearbox is only useful for the 5th gear swap. Depending on what is wrong with your van box, when is it whining? So firstly some diagnosis on that eh?

Have you checked the oil?
Does it whine in all gears? under load? on overrun? when the clutch is released?

With regards to the engine, it really is worth doing the full conversion. You can use the abl turbo and manifolds, you have to be sure it's not the turbo making the smoking first though!

I believe ozgti had a 1z engine with the abl pump on, you would have to use the 1z injectors (multi hole) as the abl ones (pintle) will not fit in the 1z head.

Mat

Date Posted: 30 Apr 11 at 17:21
Cor glad your back !

gearbox makes horrible noise in neutral with clutch out,push and release clutch a few times and it shuts up(reckon its the input shaft)it whines in all gears,makes a noise going into 5th when its hot and going into 3rd when its hotter oh and it leaks from the clutch end...Seen 2nd hand boxs for £250ish on ebay but reckon I will take it for a £10 estimate on how much to fix it and fit the 5th out the 1z boz.

yeah reckon full convertion is the way to go as if I fit abl pump I will only get 68bhp maybe less ?

not sure whats up with engine now,Ive taken the rocker cover breather pipe off and its chuffing well,cant see any oil coming out so I put it under the van instead of into the air inlet..and thats stopped the smoke.Did drill a hole in the airbox under the filter but that still smoked.cant see it being pistons as the were fine about 5000 miles ago,maybe head gasket as I used the stretch bolts twice and think I skiped the last 90 degree angle tighten.

Best I get looking for a ecu and loom,do they have to be vento or will any 1Z parts do..Im hoping to try and get it connected up and try running it in the garage before fitting the van,as I dont want to end up tottally vanless with a work in progress job

Cheers

-------------
soon be a new van !

Date Posted: 30 Apr 11 at 17:26
Cor glad your back !

gearbox makes horrible noise in neutral with clutch out,push and release clutch a few times and it shuts up(reckon its the input shaft)it whines in all gears,makes a noise going into 5th when its hot and going into 3rd when its hotter oh and it leaks from the clutch end...Seen 2nd hand boxs for £250ish on ebay but reckon I will take it for a £10 estimate on how much to fix it and fit the 5th out the 1z boz.

yeah reckon full convertion is the way to go as if I fit abl pump I will only get 68bhp maybe less ?

not sure whats up with engine now,Ive taken the rocker cover breather pipe off and its chuffing well,cant see any oil coming out so I put it under the van instead of into the air inlet..and thats stopped the smoke.Did drill a hole in the airbox under the filter but that still smoked.cant see it being pistons as the were fine about 5000 miles ago,maybe head gasket as I used the stretch bolts twice and think I skiped the last 90 degree angle tighten.

Best I get looking for a ecu and loom,do they have to be vento or will any 1Z parts do..Im hoping to try and get it connected up and try running it in the garage before fitting the van,as I dont want to end up tottally vanless with a work in progress job

Cheers

-------------
soon be a new van !

Date Posted: 30 Apr 11 at 18:32
yeah Brian, any fwd 1z vehicle should do, if you read the wiring links i posted above to light that should help.

You will need the key (for the chip), ring around the ign barrel, and the rest of the engine loom, the immobiliser box and bit of wiring and the rest of the engine loom as well as throttle pot.

It can be a lot easier to start off with a complete donor car!

Date Posted: 01 May 11 at 20:42
been slowly redoing the interior, sold the full width bed and will be making a new bed soon.

Date Posted: 09 May 11 at 19:01
Been pulling mine apart today,driveshafts gearbox,manifolds,turbo,power steering pump off.

Just checked pics see I gotta change alternator and bracket now too

Are you using the 1z water pump or changed to an abl one ?

and how does the big round electric plug above the gearbox come out (confused me) you might not have one with a differant loom

plenty of gung to come out my inlet ports too,might change the oil filter housing on mine to abl so the oil feed pipe will fit the turbo on abl manifolds

still a bit corcerned about getting my pump code and key all coded to the imobilizer box (I think the pump has a code)

-------------
soon be a new van !

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 18:10
water pump is the same for both, just the outlet needs changing over, best to put a new pump on now while it is easy to do.

The big round plug comes off by twisting the ribbed collar on the right hand side, it may be stiff now its all dry and crusty, bit of wd in there mate.

yeah change the oil filter housing if your using abl turbo.

pretty sure its only the immob, key and ecu that are matched, penbryn on t4forum would be the one to ask.

Date Posted: 26 May 11 at 21:06
Started mine this week..so far so good,my 1Z came out of a vento dunno why but the clutch fitted straight on the abl box and the gearbox support  and power steering bracket have bolted straight on with the abl bolts no need for retapping :-)
Using a second hand gearbox with 3 months warrenty as gearbox place wanted £750 to rebuild an abl one.
And learnt something new ! the pin at the other end to the clutch slave cylinder,on the release bearing arm is meant to have a plastic cap on it.....No wonder I had a rattle in neautral on the old box(pinched one of the spare vento box)

-------------
soon be a new van !

Date Posted: 14 Jun 11 at 21:01
Finally changed my wheels, i've been running around on merc 16" steelies but i had another set painted in the garage waiting for tyres.

Well, today i got tyresBig smileBig smile

i've painted the rear bumper, and the rear door from the swage line down, one day when it's not windy i'll do some more!

Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 22:59
Hello mr mallott was looking at your intercooler pics earlier so I could do mine,I think from your alternater belt angle you have the belt going over the waterpump...mine goes under the waterpump which it always has done

not sure which way is correct now

-------------
soon be a new van !

Date Posted: 13 Sep 11 at 17:07
So i've been plodding away with the van, spilt some gearbox oil on the carpet in the backAngry so i had to rip out the carpet and cut out a section of flooring underneathClap

Over the last few days i've been getting a bit of paint on

Old english white on the bottom with primer on top, got some amazing runs in the lacquerEmbarrassed

never mind!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net