Forum Description: Forum for T5 specific chat
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52984
Printed Date: 19 Apr 24 at 21:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: EGR delete and intake manifold clean
Posted By: cjm_2008
Subject: EGR delete and intake manifold clean
Date Posted: 06 May 10 at 07:59
I've just ordered the EGR blank off kit from brickwerks for my 2.5 :)

I'm wondering if it would also be a good time to try and clean out the inlet manifold? has anyone previously attempted this, and how complicated is removal for cleaning?

I'm worried that I'll be presented with a similar disgusting mess to the one I found when taking the intake assembly apart on my vito a few years ago:

on another topic - I fitted the K&N panel filter yesterday. Clap lovely!

Replies:
Date Posted: 07 May 10 at 18:46
the blanking plate arrived today. fitting was an absolute piece of cake - took me less than ten mins.

I treaded gingerly for the first few miles - the increased turbo noise was initially quite worrying. but even treading gingerly, the difference in pick up was immediately obvious.

once normal temp was reached I gave it some beans. all I can say is 'wow'.

there's no noticeable lag anymore. between 1200 and 2000k revs the grunt is astounding. in situations where I used to have to mash the loud pedal into the carpet in third and fourth, now there's just a lovely seam of oomph with immediate response.

brilliant.

now I'm just waiting for something to go pop :)

Posted By: Ruds
Date Posted: 07 May 10 at 19:43
What was the quality of the kit like? Also which engine have you got? 130 or 174 and have you had it re-mapped? 

Sounds like fun though!!

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Date Posted: 07 May 10 at 20:09
Originally posted by Ruds Ruds wrote:

What was the quality of the kit like? Also which engine have you got? 130 or 174 and have you had it re-mapped? 

Sounds like fun though!!

it's a late 2005 2.5 130.

no remap - just a K&N panel filter and the egr mod, which was about a fiver from brickwerks.

it is fun - but there's always the little voice of worry about increased turbo temps...!

Date Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:10
I think enough people do this to VAG engines that you can be relatively confident. I'll order a EGR blank tomorrow Big smile

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Date Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:22
Another quick question... My T5 is remapped, if fit an EGR blank how will the ECU react and would I get more of a benefit if the EGR cycles was switched off in the ECU?

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Posted By: energysolutions
Date Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:49

Another quick question... My T5 is remapped, if fit an EGR blank how will the ECU react and would I get more of a benefit if the EGR cycles was switched off in the ECU?

As I understand it fitting the EGR blank physically blocks the inlet for recycling exhaust gases so no matter what the ECU tells the valve no gases can be recycled

I believe some people have had a fault light come on after fitting the plate so I can only surmise that there is a sensor in this area on some vehicles which detects that gases are not/cannot be recycled which registers as a fault (this is only my theory)

My van was fine and fitting the plate caused no dramas, I would imagine that turning off the EGR cycles in the software would do no harm but it may not be necessary as the inlet is physically blocked anyhow

HTH

-------------
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!

Date Posted: 09 May 10 at 07:51
mpg: my trip is on 453 miles and I haven't hit the last quarter on the gauge yet.

normally i'd be expecting to hit the last quarter mark at around 400 miles....

Date Posted: 10 May 10 at 07:06
seems I was a bit premature with my 50 mile tank range bonus!

the light came on at 523 miles. fair enough - i've been enjoying the extra oomph, I only did the mod halfway through the tankful, and the van was full of kart and tools for practice yesterday.

I do wonder though - the turbo is a lot louder - is this normal?

the 'schrroooossshhhhh' sound that's been bugging me for so long has pretty much gone. must have been EGR related, which makes sense as the sound was originating from the exhaust manifold area.

the pipework for the EGR is pretty long and originates from the exhaust manifold. does anyone know where I could get some sort of blanking panel for that, so I can remove the entire pipe? my concern is strange back-pressure behaviour resulting from more than a foot of redunant pipe*.

*fnaar.

Date Posted: 10 May 10 at 09:25
I thought the EGR plate went on the exhaust side?

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Date Posted: 10 May 10 at 09:53

I've put mine at the only logical place I could see - at the join next to the filler cap:

the back of the pipe runs to the exhaust manifold next to the block and bulkead - the join to the exhaust manifold looks totally different (has three mounting screws for a start).

Posted By: Tim the gas
Date Posted: 10 May 10 at 17:04
Originally posted by cjm_2008 cjm_2008 wrote:

I've put mine at the only logical place I could see - at the join next to the filler cap:

the back of the pipe runs to the exhaust manifold next to the block and bulkead - the join to the exhaust manifold looks totally different (has three mounting screws for a start).

That's the right place - just below the filler cap.
When blanked off there, nothing can flow through that pipe.
Exhaust gases will only run out the exhaust manifold into the turbo housing.
No more black sooty shite to contaminate your intake manifold.Thumbs Up

-------------
2004 T30 174-AXE- CELTIC MAPPED TO 228 BHP - LWB TORNADO RED PANEL VAN

Posted By: a11y
Date Posted: 11 May 10 at 11:34
Sorry if I'm being thick, but I can't find the egr blanking plate on the Brickwerks website - can anyone provide a link, or is it a call-up-and-order part?

Cheers

Date Posted: 11 May 10 at 11:52
The only way I could find it was to search for 'egr' on the brickwerks site. HTH

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Posted By: a11y
Date Posted: 11 May 10 at 12:14
Embarrassed

Didn't think of that (although to be fair I didn't spot the "search" box on their site!). Thanks Ruds, now found and will probably order tonight.

Date Posted: 11 May 10 at 12:21
Mine arrives tomorrow hopefully!

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Date Posted: 13 May 10 at 19:24
OK mine doesn't appear as straight forward, or I'm being thick...

Which side of the silver pipe do I put the blanking plate, both have two bolts, but one is much harder to access!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0162.jpg - http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0162.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0161.jpg - http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0161.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0160.jpg - http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0160.jpg

Any help would be appreciated Thumbs Up

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Date Posted: 13 May 10 at 21:27

OK mine doesn't appear as straight forward, or I'm being thick...

Which side of the silver pipe do I put the blanking plate, both have two bolts, but one is much harder to access!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0162.jpg - http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0162.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0161.jpg - http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0161.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0160.jpg - http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/mrudling/IMG_0160.jpg

Any help would be appreciated Thumbs Up

here I reckon. but wait until a more learned brick-yarder confirms!

unless you have an allen key that's a perfect fit, i'd recommend splashing out 20 or so quid on a set of star bits.

Date Posted: 13 May 10 at 22:18
Thank you for the reply, I had wondered if one end was hotter than the other but I can't work out if there would be any difference, it's only a short pipe!

Star bits are ready to go!

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Posted By: zedzedeleven
Date Posted: 14 May 10 at 10:17
Dumb question time. Would an egr blanking plate be appropriate for my lowly 85ps, or are they only for the 2.5 engine?

-------------
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.

Posted By: wiganlatic
Date Posted: 14 May 10 at 10:35
I did my 85, didn't fit the plate though, just blocked the vacuum pipe that operates it.

-------------
White van man with a plan

Posted By: The Transporter
Date Posted: 15 May 10 at 22:27
I blanked off my EGR today, made a blanking plate from a bit of aluminium boiler flue, flattened out. Used the gasket as a template and sealed with a bit of silicone... I wasn't expecting much but I am surprised that the engine does feel a fair bit different... As mentioned in other posts, the engine feels smoother and seems peppier, I'll see how it effects fuel consumption... A ten minute job that is worth doing.

-------------
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.

Date Posted: 18 May 10 at 09:18
Since fitting mine I have been out for a couple of good drives, and there has been a noticable difference. The engine feels more responsive, with I think slightly less turbo lag but it has more pull at lower rpm's and slightly less of a flat spot at high rpm's although this could be unique to my bad re-map.

I am getting a 'engine workshop' fault code showing though, it isn't always there from start up but it will always appear within 10min. Can this be safely turned off by a garage? 

-------------
2006 130 SWB Kombi van

Posted By: zedzedeleven
Date Posted: 18 May 10 at 09:25
I think you need to identify the code first, just to make sure it relates to the egr blank and not coincidentally something else that may be in alarm. It seems that some people get a fault code when fitting an egr plate and others don`t.

-------------
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.

Date Posted: 25 May 10 at 13:43
isn't it something about a flow sensor not detecting on some of the newer engines?  Mine doesn't have one so I don't get a warning light.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 10 at 20:34
update: new MPG PB.

548 miles on 72 litres of fuel. mostly motorway work, but cruising at 80. and booting it a bit around town, plus at least 200 miles with 150kg of kart and tools in the back.

perhaps the warm weather improves MPG? odd.

Posted By: The Transporter
Date Posted: 06 Jun 10 at 23:29
Generally speaking, engines prefer cold air... Denser air means more oxygen..

-------------
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 10 at 23:38
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

Generally speaking, engines prefer cold air... Denser air means more oxygen..

Yep, thats true

What could be a factor is that these warmer temperatures mean the engine warms up faster resulting in it spending less time being overfuelled (the ECU adds additional fuel when the engine is cold) 

I also believe that the generally calmer (less windy) summer weather helps MPG no end as T5s aint exactly aerodynamic

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 13:20
If you've had remap chances are the egr was turned off anyway.  Mine was.

-------------

Posted By: gregozedobe
Date Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 14:10
I find my T5 gets its best economy at temperatures around 23-25C.  Colder uses more fuel, as does hotter (possibly coz I then use the a/c).  And contrary to what I expected, wet roads also use more fuel (I've since been told the tyres use significant energy to pump water out of the treads).

I find side/head winds are much worse than straight headwinds - straight on the van seems pretty slippery, but the large side area can really drag if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

Posted By: borg
Date Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 11:57
Just found a very interesting article in Wikipedia on EGR:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

The part on EGR in diesel engines is quite interesting, looks like without ERG you don't need the particle filter, and although NOx level gases increase hydrocarbon emissions, particulates, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are drastically reduced. It also says you can get as much as 25% better fuel economy by removing the ERG.

Posted By: mistadave
Date Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 21:17
Thats the stupid thing about the whole EGR DPF thing, the egr was needed because of air quality regulations in cities to cut down NOX - fair enough i suppose. But then they needed a DPF because of all the particulates that an egr creates. 

The real irony is that an EGR only works when you are driving around down, it is closed when you are cruising on the motorway etc or when ragging it. The dpf works all the time, but always clogs when just used around town to the point that some dealers say it isn't suitable for city driving, and then just uses more power and fuel the rest of the time when it isn't actually needed!

-------------
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank

Posted By: Onefut
Date Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:06
most of the emissions stuff is just a none-sense
if they just concentrated on making the 4 stoke engine more efficient then emissions would be reduced aswell

-------------
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB

Date Posted: 19 Jun 10 at 15:02
Something I found when looking into the oil coming out of my crankcase breather pipe which might interest everyone reading this thread:

"The sludge [by the EGR] is a combination of oil and exhaust emission (soot) meeting at the EGR valve inlet, the oil can be found leaking from the front bearing of the turbocharger (compressor side) but mainly from the crank case breather system which is directly connected into the induction tube between the air filter and turbocharger on a tdi engine. Many people think that simply replacing an EGR valve will solve the problem; well that's simply not the case.  As the turbo bearings continue to wear from brand new and the breather system left connected the engine will continue to discharge oil into the turbocharger inlet, which then leads up into the inlet manifold/EGR valve."

http://www.egrvalve.co.uk/index.php?page=home - http://www.egrvalve.co.uk/index.php?page=home

-------------
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank

Posted By: tarka
Date Posted: 20 Jun 10 at 01:13
Hmmm, havent looked into this for ages but my turbo is definatly louder these days after the EGR blank. Question is, how does the blank cause the turbo to whistle louder?

-------------
2004 SWB 174bhp Raven Blue Kombi

Date Posted: 20 Jun 10 at 21:44
 can't see how it would change the turbo noise, since the valve is closed when the turbo is on boost. It only works when the exhaust pressure is higher than the turbo boost pressure which is only before the turbo spools up. If it stayed open after that point the turbo boost would flow back through the egr the other way and be lost down the exhaust.

You may get a little more noise just as it comes on boost, because the engine doesn't have crap air in it there will be a better combustion in the cylinder and so more manifold pressure to get the turbo up to speed - thus the reduced lag time. Shouldn't make any difference once on boost though.

-------------

Posted By: lwb174caravelle
Date Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 23:42

I have been watching this topic and some other forums wondering whether to go for this EGR blanking option, only because the engine of my 174 T5 has always felt ‘choked’ when driving around towns at low to average speeds. Above 50mph it always seemed to be okay. 

In the end I decided to buy one of these blanking plates (At only £5.50 incl free postage on ebay from brickwerks J) to see if it would make any difference.

It was very simple to fit, took about 5 minutes using only a 5mm and 10mm spanner, and did it make a difference? ….   WOW !      

My bus now has a totally different engine!! For a start the engine is much quieter, much more responsive, much more powerful, and feels an awful lot happier at all speeds including speeds over 50mph. 

I had the chance to do a regular 400 mile motorway trip yesterday with the cruise control set to my usual 84mph (which is actually 77mph on the gps) and compared with the usual trip computer average display of 31mpg it was displaying a much improved 36mpg!! So this little blanking plate paid for itself twice over by saving two gallons of fuel on just that one trip!!

Believe me, this is the best present anyone can give to a T5!!

So Tarka, I think the reason why your turbo now sounds louder is probably because your engine is now actually quieter!

... and Mistadave, is it not that once all the old exhaust cr*p is cleared out of the inlet manifold that the boost performance of the engine is now improved? 

-------------
2005 VW T5 174 Blue Caravelle Tiptronic E.Yorks

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 09:15
Clearing the crap out the manifold will be what is improving the performance on boost, but normally you have to take it off and scoop all the crap out because it is a really sticky sludge and would generally take quite a long time to come off on its own. I took the EGR manifold section off and cleaned that out, and then used a jam jar scraper to get as much out of the intake manifold as possible, because i couldn't be bothered to take the whole manifold off at the time. To be fair the 2.5 engines seem to be loads cleaner than other cars i have seen, which can literally get restricted to a hole the size of a finger. It was about 2 weeks after i had blocked it when i cleaned mine and there was a layer of about 3-4mm left on the inside of the manifold. The biggest restriction left though was inside the egr "tube" where the egr valve and engine stop valve assembly had allowed the sludge to build up a bit more.

Even though mine is now clean i still want to get the allard replacement pipe as it has got to be the most restrictive part of the intake at the moment.

-------------

Posted By: borg
Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 12:49
I did the EGR blanking plate thing on my T5 about 3 weeks ago. It did feel faster and more responsive after, but then the last time I used it before putting the blanking plate on I had a 1 Ton Trailer on the back, so makes it a bit hard to compare.

Since then I have done just under 1,000 miles and have to say that I am using noticeably allot less fuel, especially on motor journeys where it seems to be using about 10% to 15% less fuel.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 17:58
Sorry I think I was being daft: the opening and closing of the valve is controlled by the ecu, either by vacuum on the older engines or by an electrical valve on the post 2006 ones. It closes under heavy loads but I think it can still be opened at higher revs if not under high boost - ie motorway cruising. this would explain the instant gains in mpg once blocked. Before i thought it only opened below around 2000 rpm but that can't be right.

-------------

Posted By: Ian156
Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 18:51
Sort of on topic. Thinking of doing the EGR blank and getting a de-cat stainless steel exhaust. 

Would all this put a lot of pressure on the turbo? 

Mistadave, what changes did you notice with your exhaust?

-------------
Brian Vantana. 60% of the time it works everytime!

2012 Subaru Impreza with a roof rack and tinted windows
2006 Rio Kia5 1.6 with heated seats and a remote start.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 19:29
Originally posted by Ian156 Ian156 wrote:

Sort of on topic. Thinking of doing the EGR blank and getting a de-cat stainless steel exhaust. 

Would all this put a lot of pressure on the turbo? 

Mistadave, what changes did you notice with your exhaust?

Quite the opposite, removing the CAT will reduce the stress on the turbo ie the exhaust gases will escape easier

A blocked CAT/DPF can spell the end for a turbo so get shot of it

The Decat will help MPG, increase power, extend the turbo life and probably outlast the van (stainless)

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 20:16
What am I waiting for!! And I have a 54 plate so shouldnt have those pescky engine fault codes.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 20:24
Originally posted by Ian156 Ian156 wrote:

What am I waiting for!! And I have a 54 plate so shouldnt have those pescky engine fault codes.

Nope, my van is a 2004 and I have both EGR blank + Decat pipe with no fault codes

Treat your van to a new K+N filter too for the full effectLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 20:53
BTW mine is a 56 plate (without a DPF) and fitting the EGR blank did not bring up any dash warning lights.
It appears that there are many simple things that can be done to improve the engine efficiency but if the EGR is blanked,  the is cat taken out,  no DPF, and then more efficient pipework installed, could this not increase the Nox emissions and therefore risk it failing the MOT?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 20:58
Originally posted by lwb174caravelle lwb174caravelle wrote:

BTW mine is a 56 plate (without a DPF) and fitting the EGR blank did not bring up any dash warning lights.
It appears that there are many simple things that can be done to improve the engine efficiency but if the EGR is blanked,  the is cat taken out,  no DPF, and then more efficient pipework installed, could this not increase the Nox emissions and therefore risk it failing the MOT?

You will either have a CAT or DPF, not both

Diesels aint tested as stringently as petrols, I believe its really only a smoke test (which any diesel running half right will pass) and NOX etc is not measured

-------------

Posted By: Fast[Plumber
Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 21:22
With all this new found power, have you boys taken out the plastic 'restrictor' behind the radiator grille, covering 40% of the inlet area????

-------------
T30 174 SWB.
Raven Blue,new Sportlines.
Im the one with the silly smile when Driving!

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 21:58
Ay? Whats that? Piccies?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:19
OLd post.............. theres a piece of plastic that fits into the air inlet just behind the rad grille that when its not fitted will give you some ram effect. Honest its there was a thread here year or so ago......... ill look for it

-------------
T30 174 SWB.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:21
Originally posted by Fast[Plumber Fast[Plumber wrote:

OLd post.............. theres a piece of plastic that fits into the air inlet just behind the rad grille that when its not fitted will give you some ram effect. Honest its there was a thread here year or so ago......... ill look for it

I`m waiting with GREAT anticipation.......Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:30
Im looking, help me out someone!

-------------
T30 174 SWB.

Posted By: triple
Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:35
I remember reading that, another placebo effect what a load of bollocks.

-------------

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:35
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/free-engine-upgrade_topic31584_post237264.html?KW=power+upgrade#237264 - http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/free-engine-upgrade_topic31584_post237264.html?KW=power+upgrade#237264

Ta da!

Read on..................... bet you all do it tomorrow!!!

-------------
T30 174 SWB.

Posted By: Happy Yellow
Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 12:56
Perhaps the build-up of soot and oil in the intercooler decreases the cooling effect the intercooler has - this will cause loss of performance and economy.   The difference in power between the T4 without intercooler and with intercooler is 14 PS (88 V 102).  I'm not sure all that power was down to the piddly little intercooler that the T4 has, but it seems that cool induction air really does bring a significant benefit - so the cooler it is, the better.

Last weekend I drove 120 miles with my banked EGR duct, sticking to the speed limits which I've never done before (most are 43 and 56 mph here in Latvia), and my van returned 47 mpg! (by MFD).  I'll be doing a couple of long trips in August, so I'll be more sure of the benefits later.

-------------
2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles

Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 13:57
Happy Yellow. 120 miles at 42-56 mph !!! That must be soul destroying Confused    
And here's me thinking 10 miles of roadworks with 50mph average speed cameras is torture ! But having said that, I would love to get 47mpg. 

It will be interesting to see what a steady 50 will return with my new blacking plate fitted.

Just also took my little plastic restrictor plate off . I will see if I can notice any difference later today.

-------------

Posted By: blackvanman
Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 15:53
Do u think i will have warranty issues if i fit an egr blanking plate? it sounds like a premium mod!

-------------
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black

Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 16:00
It's an easy fit and likewise it's easy to remove so if you thought you might have a warranty issue I would remove it before taking it into the stealers.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 18:16
I`d be more concerned about the fact that your van is a later model and they usually throw up an error code when the blanking plate is fitted which has two consequences:

1) A light on the dash (annoying)
2) A stored fault code in the ECU which the dealer can find/question if the ECU is interogated during a service (unless of course you clear the code with VCDS before the serviceWink)

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 20:43
well i do have vcds now!!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 22:13
Originally posted by blackvanman blackvanman wrote:

well i do have vcds now!!

Yes indeed.....Wink

How you getting on with it?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 23:07
egr wont cause sludge in the intercooler as it enters after the intercooler. The intercooler will just have some oil in it from the crankcase but it shouldnt restrict it too much.

I was talking to the guys at allard and the later "electronic" egr actually has a water cooler as well, to try and cool the gasses before they are added back to the manifold. Id block it and get a remap to turn off the warnings, regardless of warranty. As soon as we get our new a3 its having the dpf hollowed out, egr blocked and remap. If you have spent that much on a car or van, why would you leave it choked, besides, the cost of a dpf replacement, which isn't covered under warranty anyway, is about £600, then start adding the fuel you save by not having an egr or dpf. you could just save it in a pot in case you have something fail on the engine that isn't covered because of the modifications, and enjoy the added performance.

-------------

Posted By: Billy-jim
Date Posted: 30 Jul 10 at 08:20
Hi mistadave, you have advised me on this subject before.

Im picking up my new van todayBig smile.

Im all in favour of the dpf delete and egr blank but am very wary of voiding the warranty in case i run into problems with it.

Do you have an opinion on weather you could hollow out the dpf with no ecu changes .I mean sensors can detect when the dpf is blocked ,I imagine because of a pressure build up ??? , but if all the gasses pass through would the ecu presume all is ok and not go into regeneration mode!!!

sorry if its a silly question
B-J

Date Posted: 30 Jul 10 at 09:25
Good question, unfortunately i think it will require a remap of some kind, but i would suggest asking pendle performance. The engine will still try to regenerate and without the innards there the extra diesel it sends to burn on the dpf would just go out the exhaust - probably not a great idea. Also it would probably detect that it isn't getting hot enough so it would try to regenerate more often and with more fuel, so you would just end up sending loads of fuel out your exhaust pipe!

Remember that you will only void your warranty if the part failure can be attributed to whatever you have modified. I.e if you remap your engine, and they happen to find out, you will still be covered if you wipers stop working. I wold think that the VW guys would actually be quite grateful if you got rid of the DPF, they are probably a bit tired of seeing them! I don' think they could attribute the failure of any other part to the removal of the dpf either, since all it normally does is cause problems. The same goes for the EGR

To be on the really safe side, get one of the switch able boxes that many of the tuners do - not one of the crap plug in and go ones, but one like celtics e-motion. one map stored on there is your standard map, just modified to turn off the dpf stuff, the other is a proper remap. just stick on the normal one if you take it in, and enjoy the other one the rest of the time!

I'd be lying if i said there wasn't a risk in all this, but you taking out one of the biggest problem bits of kit in the van, so that's a load of risk gone. The chances of something else like a turbo going are in reality pretty slim, then the chanced of vw discovering that you are remapped and not covering it are slimmer again.

With our new car im just looking at it like this: I'm spending a lot of money to get a high spec new car so that i can choose exactly what it is like, and i can own it from new so that i know it has never been mistreated. Most of the stuff is still covered under a warranty, and if something goes that isn't it is a relatively small price in relation to the whole car, a small price to pay for enjoying the full potential, and economy of the car.

Just think, if there was the 180 T5 available from VW, and then the 240bhp uber version with dpf removed, better economy etc in the showroom, how much extra would you be willing to pay for that version? Probably a lot more than the cost of the dpf and remap, and that extra is the amount you "put to one side" in case the worst should happen!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 10 at 12:06
Originally posted by mistadave mistadave wrote:

egr wont cause sludge in the intercooler as it enters after the intercooler. The intercooler will just have some oil in it from the crankcase but it shouldnt restrict it too much.

I was talking to the guys at allard and the later "electronic" egr actually has a water cooler as well, to try and cool the gasses before they are added back to the manifold.

Yes, you're quite right about about the soot not getting to the intercooler - I realised I was wrong last night after I'd written it. Embarrassed

I noted on Elsawin that the 2005 auto version had a liquid cooled ERG duct while my manual 2005 AXE has no cooling. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 10 at 13:50
need the codes for stuff, can't see it on ross tech site, cleared svc reminder tho after changing oil n filters. i thought my van was can but apparently not

-------------

Posted By: SteetonMVP
Date Posted: 31 Jul 10 at 01:08
Has anyone considered the insurance issues.  Have we all answered the question by the insurance company "Has the vechicle be modified in any way?"

Date Posted: 31 Jul 10 at 11:11
Originally posted by SteetonMVP SteetonMVP wrote:

Has anyone considered the insurance issues.  Have we all answered the question by the insurance company "Has the vechicle be modified in any way?"

Good point! I guess the EGR blanking plate would be pretty difficult to spot when looking at the engine, however a nice chrome bypass pipe or cat-less exhaust would be spotted more easily. 

Are we modifying or improving? If we put better quality tyres, wipers, filters, exhausts etc than the fitted OEM ones is that a modification? 

It would be good to have a post on this topic from someone who has first hand knowledge of the insurance implications. Do we declare or keep quiet?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 10 at 13:27
When i did my insurance with just kampers/adrian flux I listed most of the major modifications, they didn't seem interested in what the modification entailed, it was more about the value of those modifications should i need to claim. I must admit the remap isn't on there yet, but i tested the water with the wheels, lowering, exhaust, decat, body modifications. I was amazed it made hardly any difference, still loads cheaper than insuring it as a normal van with direct line, who also wanted the earth of any modifications.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 10 at 15:14
Hmmm. Confused

My insurance company (a well known one) says:
We will not be able to provide cover if your car has been modified to increase the top speed or acceleration.

Another big company (Swinton) defines modification as:
A vehicle which has been altered in a way that affects its appearance or performance.

This is starting to look tricky!

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 10 at 16:29
some insurance companies only want to quote for bog standard cars, you have to insure with a company that specialises in modified cars. Most of them will realise that a properly modified car will be the pride and joy of the owner and so they are likely to look after it, less likely to have an accident. Where as the big mainstream companies will just instantly see you as a boy racer and so refuse to insure you, or do so at great cost.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 10 at 16:42
Originally posted by mistadave mistadave wrote:

some insurance companies only want to quote for bog standard cars, you have to insure with a company that specialises in modified cars. Most of them will realise that a properly modified car will be the pride and joy of the owner and so they are likely to look after it, less likely to have an accident. Where as the big mainstream companies will just instantly see you as a boy racer and so refuse to insure you, or do so at great cost.

Looks like I will have to use a different insurance company if I want to declare a blank, a de-cat, or an Allard pipe. It's a shame because they gave me a damn good price this year, beating the next nearest company by over £100 and they included all the optional insurance extras.Unhappy

-------------

Posted By: aledw
Date Posted: 03 Aug 10 at 14:59
Just fitted an EGR blanking plate which I bought from Brickwerks's ebay site. My 120K 174 AXE now drives noticably smoother in first and second gear at low revs. Big smile

Date Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 12:47

I blanked my EGR system, and thought that it was saving fuel.  I could not be 100% sure until I gave it a proper test.  Now I have.

Every so often I drive from Riga, Latvia to Bergerac, France.  It's 2900 km door-to-door.  I compared this year's fuel consumption figures with last year's (also in August):

2009 Day 1:  8.9  (89 km/h)
2010 Day 1:  7.5  (87 km/h)

2009 Day 2:  8.9 (104 km/h)
2010 Day 2:  7.8 (100 km/h)

2009 Day 3:  9.3 (85 km/h)
2010 Day 3:  8.2 (81 km/h)

2009 average: 9.0 (92.6 km/h)      in English: 31.39 mpg (57.54 mph)

2010 average: 7.8 (89.3 km/h)      in English: 36.48 mpg (55.49 mph)

Yes, my average speed was down a little, and I can confirm that I drove for 55 minutes longer in 2010 than I did in 2009 (30:50 v 31:45), but that slower average cannot account for all that saved fuel.  Can it?  I saved about 13%  or 36 litres  or  €40!  That's 3 reasonable French meals!

Note:  I've quoted fuel consumption in litres per 100 km as that's how my vehicle works; how I think, and it's esier once you get your head around it.

I've treated each day as equal so as to make calculation more simple.  In fact:

Day 1: 1060 km   Soviet Union: quiet roads with low speed limits and too many police.
Day 2: 1003 km   Germany: all Autobhan.
Day 3: 800 km     France: N roads only, no Autoroute.

Actual total: 2863 km

Also, it's nice only having to fill-up 3 times rather than 4.

-------------

Posted By: Rebuild
Date Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 07:26
thread dredge
At 126K km(79K miles)
Made an EGR blanking plate and gasket and fitted recently
Cleaned the Anti Shudder intake pipe and approx 150mm of the intake manifold of black gooey sludge.
Engine seems maybe a little more responsive down low,but hard to tell
Going to do the full intake eventually
Did notice a little oil residue in the Intercooler to Intake Manifold rubber hose too 

-------------
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net