Forum Description: Forum for T5 specific chat
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50558
Printed Date: 19 Jul 19 at 01:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: REMAPPING?
Posted By: VW master-tech
Subject: REMAPPING?
Date Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 23:47
Was asked to create this subject as a new thread just as a warning for all you guys with chipped vans still under warranty.................

Strange the ecu remap was lost did you have an ECU software update done as well,be warned folks that if you have a remap and your van requires an Update like they do for emissions faults etc the ecu will be reset to the factory spec also if the dealer suspects that your van has been chipped and it is still under warranty when the factory ask for the diagnois printouts it will show up and i have heard of the factory writing off engine warranties because of a remap.

-------------
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote

Replies:
Date Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 23:48
yes the factory can see dont get me wrong as a dealer we can not tell if it has been remapped however there has been various occassions that i have been asked to provide 1 screen shot of a 8 digit number and send it to the vw technical department they then forward it to the factory and if it has been changed from factory spec they cancel the engine warranty for that vehicle and the dealer doesnt get paid for the warranty repair usual repairs include failed turbos,cracked/warped exhaust manifolds or repeated driveshaft failures

-------------
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote

Posted By: energysolutions
Date Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 23:54
Taken from http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/FAQ.aspx - Celtics website:

-------------
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!

Date Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 23:56
which to a certain affect is true the dealer cannot tell but the factory can tell if it has been changed from original factory settings VW are very protective about what goes into there ECUs

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 00:15
Another quote from http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/ai_faq.asp#9 - Angel tuning:

How will it affect my warranty?
There is no change needed to any hardware for engine remapping and in the main is both physically and diagnostically undetectable.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 00:16

It seems the remap companies choose their words regarding this topic very carefully.......Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 00:19
http://www.torquetronix.co.uk/faq.html - Torquetronix.....

Q: What about my insurance?

A:This is up to you. We have to advise that you inform your insurance companies that the remap has been carried out but it is extremely difficult to detect. Ultimately it is your responsibility.

-------------

Posted By: mrhutch
Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 00:23
very interesting all you modern-types...

what occurs if

Originally posted by VW master-tech VW master-tech wrote:

i have been asked to provide 1 screen shot of a 8 digit number

isn't done?

-------------
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel

Posted By: Ex-car bloke
Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 07:40
I don't know about you other guys but I cashed in a 15 year investment plan to buy my T5 new 4 years ago and I'm not on a high income, so the idea of messing with any of the factory settings to squeeze out a few extra bhp seems like an unneccesary and crazy risk to me. 

I'll stick with my 174 horses and my standard (very nice) torque curve, thanks, and if anything goes bang at least I won't be wishing I hadn't got a remap.

It'll be interesting to see how all the DMFs, gearboxes, driveshafts, tyres, turbos etc etc cope with the remaps over the long-term, or will you all sell-on before the miles stack up and pass the problems to someone else?  

-------------
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van

Posted By: kawolsky
Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 08:45
I was under the impression that most people had their remap done when the warranty has expired. A friend of mine has just had his 59 plate sportline kombi remapped, well pleased with it. I'm not going down that route, even more so after reading this thread.

Posted By: Tim the gas
Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 19:51
I waited 5 years till I got my 54 plate 174 remapped.
What you guys are saying about bits expiring early may be true if you always
drive your van like you stole it.Wink
I still treat my van carefully because I paid £18400+VAT for it in 2004.
I drove mine in standard format for all that time but now it's remapped
it is so much nicer to drive.More low end torque,better MPG, more tractability - none of
that on/off power characteristic that the standard map supplies.
My van has only just turned 72,000 miles and I need it every day to run my business so
I don't cane around in it.
It is just nicer to drive now and it has a bit more power to safely overtake now and then.
It also doesn't notice as much when it's loaded up with weight either.
Think of it as a fine tuning tool and not "it's gonna blow up before long" LOL

-------------
2004 T30 174-AXE- CELTIC MAPPED TO 228 BHP - LWB TORNADO RED PANEL VAN

Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 20:15
Originally posted by Tim the gas Tim the gas wrote:

it is so much nicer to drive.More low end torque,better MPG, more tractability - none of
My van has only just turned 72,000 miles and I need it every day to run my business so
It is just nicer to drive now and it has a bit more power to safely overtake now and then.

I would agree with that, a sensibly driven remapped van (particulary one thats owner driven/needed to earn money) is probably a safer bet than a non remapped communial work van that everybody rags and no one gives a shit about.........

-------------

Posted By: kernow
Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 00:15
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

I would agree with that, a sensibly driven remapped van (particulary one thats owner driven/needed to earn money) is probably a safer bet than a non remapped communial work van that everybody rags and no one gives a shit about.........

I can't say Iam as convinced . I too want to do a remap on my 130 , but Iam still sat here , frankly waiting for a thread like this one to reveal some truth .
I can understand the "i don't thrash my van " reasoning , and its celtic's claims of massive power in particular that make me sceptical .
here is my reason for this scepticism ok the max BHP figure is obtained at 3500 rpm , thats a rev range you can choose to use or avoid depending on how you drive .
However the massive increase in torque is shown at jusT 2300 rpm , which is a rev range thats in regular daily use .
Now please correct me if iam mistaken but its got be mainly extra turbo boost that is being used to create this torque increase and that has to be creating more heat in the engine and strain on the turbo which are the things that are being reported as failing , ie warped manifolds .

Iam tempted at the superchips remap with a much more conservative power increase but still need convincing of that . As for the celtic remap , I still have lots of mates in the motor trade and they all shake thier heads when i mention the power figures , and say thats just too much ??

-------------
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them

Posted By: Tim the gas
Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 00:44
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

I can't say Iam as convinced . I too want to do a remap on my 130 , but Iam still sat here , frankly waiting for a thread like this one to reveal some truth .
I can understand the "i don't thrash my van " reasoning , and its celtic's claims of massive power in particular that make me sceptical .
here is my reason for this scepticism ok the max BHP figure is obtained at 3500 rpm , thats a rev range you can choose to use or avoid depending on how you drive .
However the massive increase in torque is shown at jusT300 rpm , which is a rev range thats in regular daily use .
Now please correct me if iam mistaken but its got be mainly extra turbo boost that is being used to create this torque increase and that has to be creating more heat in the engine and strain on the turbo which are the things that are being reported as failing , ie warped manifolds .

Iam tempted at the superchips remap with a much more conservative power increase but still need convincing of that . As for the celtic remap , I still have lots of mates in the motor trade and they all shake thier heads when i mention the power figures , and say thats just too much ??

I'm still on my original clutch,DMF,turbo,driveshafts- even water pump etc.
I have always driven the van sensibly and always let the van idle on my driveway
for several minutes after getting home to keep the turbo bearings lubricated with pressurised oil
and allow the turbo to spool down before shutting the motor off.
I think some people don't realise how important that is to turbo longevity as maybe they are
not mechanically minded.
Turbo's when fully boosted up can run as high as 100,000 rpm and if you've been driving hard
and got home and turned the key off then there's zero oil pressure feeding your turbo bearings
and that means more wear on the turbo shaft and early failure.Thumbs Down

However, all moving mechanical parts will wear out sooner or later and need replacement and
the better you look after those parts will dictate how long they last.

I don't think that my remap will shorten the life of anything unless I can't control my
right foot. But I can control mine.Thumbs Up   LOLLOL

-------------
2004 T30 174-AXE- CELTIC MAPPED TO 228 BHP - LWB TORNADO RED PANEL VAN

Posted By: zedzedeleven
Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 10:39
Suppose I took my van, a humble 85ps and asked the tuner to increase it to a modest 102? It would still be in the vw recommended power output (because they make one). No harm in that surely? Just had another thought. Suppose I took it in to a vw service centre and asked them to do it? Think they would? or could?

-------------
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 10:47
Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

Suppose I took my van, a humble 85ps and asked the tuner to increase it to a modest 102? It would still be in the vw recommended power output (because they make one). No harm in that surely? Just had another thought. Suppose I took it in to a vw service centre and asked them to do it? Think they would? or could?

Supposedly your 85PS engine is the same as the 102PS engine which is the same as the 130PS engine found in Golfs etc

Considering Celtic claim they can get 165PS out of these I would imagine 102PS should be OK, particulary as VW make a 102PS........

A VW service centre probably could but wouldnt as it aint company policy

Certain manufacturers do offer official remaps though, Mercedes and SAAB I believe, no doubt there are others

-------------

Posted By: Bronco
Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 12:07
Hi.

When I was looking at a van through a VW dealer, the sales man said they offered a plug in box that would boost power (102 to 130) and was just attached to the existing wires. I think he said it overode the ECU in some way. (£499).

Posted By: gregozedobe
Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 13:08
Originally posted by Bronco Bronco wrote:

Hi.

When I was looking at a van through a VW dealer, the sales man said they offered a plug in box that would boost power (102 to 130) and was just attached to the existing wires. I think he said it overode the ECU in some way. (£499).

All the plug-in boxes I've looked at only alter the fuel injection, not the amount of boost.  So they "sort-of" override the ECU, but only in a very limited way.  If I was spending that sort of money I would want a complete remap.

As far as detecting a remap, I understand that there is a number stored in each ECU about how many times it has been flashed.  Some remaps reset this number back to one, some just let it add one to the existing number, and the "least easy to detect" ones leave it unchanged.  Of course it would be easy to log some simple things like the amount of boost the turbo is allowed to make and how much fuel is injected and when; and once these parameters are compared with the known values of a stock std engine then it will be obvious that the ECU has been remapped. 

IMO if you are strictly honest and ethical then losing your VW warranty is part of the price you  to pay if you want to modify your van.  If you want to keep your warranty, then you shouldn't be changing it via remaps, suspension, wheels etc. 

VW have every right not to cover any repair work and/or parts needed that may reasonably be blamed on changes, which in the case of a remap (or tuning box) will be putting increased stress on a lot of components due to more torque, more power and more heat.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 08:28
Originally posted by Bronco Bronco wrote:

Hi.

Was in Cordwallis Maidenhead service desk a few years ago and they has Superchips leaflets on the counter.
Wifes Mini cooper S has a JCW tuning kit which includes a remap, supplied and fitted by BMW. Puts bhp up to near 200... it's fast.

Posted By: T5 TDI
Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 09:32

I did think about getting mine chipped for more low down power rather than more BHP (174 is enough for what I need and I can't afford the tyres) LOL

I agree with Gregs comments about detecting remaps by checking boost levels etc.  Mind you, not so easy if the engine has already blown up....   Just out of interest here is what VCDS had to say about the flash status on my (still unchipped van) a while back.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 070 997 016 D
  Component and/or Version: R5 2,5L EDC G000SG  7596
           Software Coding: 0001072
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00358
Advanced Identification
     Serial number: VWZ7Z0C8389072
     Identification: BPG-810
     Revision: 12345678
     Date: 18.10.03
     Manufacturer number: 0065
     Test stand number: 1866
Flash Status
     Programming Attempts: 0
     Successful Attempts: 1
     Programming Status: 00000000
     Required Conditions: 00000001
     Flash Tool Code: 00000 000 00000
     Flash Date: 00.00.00
Software
     U8C3  
Misc.
     Hardware number: 028 101 073 3
Car Info
     Chassis Number: WV1ZZZ7HZ********

-------------
2004 2.5 174

Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 20:18
what would be great is to hear from a few folks who have had remapped vans for a while and have covered 30k or more since remapping . We all know they go better but for how long .
Is the reason we never read these stories because theremapped vans have cost the owners money and they don't like to admit it . Embarrassed

-------------
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them

Posted By: triple
Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 22:41
Ok my van has done 53k miles, it was remapped at 3k miles, the only problems i,ve had with it was oil cooler, egr valve and a sensor on the exhaust, all where replaced under warranty.
I think its fair to say that the remap did not cause these problems.
I,ve had no problems with the clutch, driveshafts, gearbox etc, most of the time i drive the van steady but its nice to know you have the power just in case Wink.
For some reason i cant post the vans dyno results but if anybody would like to view them pm me and i will email them, maybe they can figure out how to post them on here.  

-------------

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b

Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 23:13
Originally posted by triple triple wrote:

Ok my van has done 53k miles, it was remapped at 3k miles, the only problems i,ve had with it was oil cooler, egr valve and a sensor on the exhaust, all where replaced under warranty.
I think its fair to say that the remap did not cause these problems.
I,ve had no problems with the clutch, driveshafts, gearbox etc, most of the time i drive the van steady but its nice to know you have the power just in case Wink.
For some reason i cant post the vans dyno results but if anybody would like to view them pm me and i will email them, maybe they can figure out how to post them on here.  
At Last Tongue thats good news  , and do you know what or who's map you have .
Got my egr valve blanked off so that should isolate that useless little beast .

Ha HA do you ever wonder when you look at the ever complicated maze of pipes and conectors etc under a modern bonnet , just how uncluttered it could all becomeif the not needed stuff was removed , like EGR Cat Dpf etc etc , would be like going back to the 80's again LOL

-------------

Posted By: exocet
Date Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 10:42
Hi,
I'm not at 30K since my remap yet, but I have done at least a good 15K + since I had it done! so far no problems (fingers crossed). I did few long journeys now to the south of France with large amount of windsurf /paddle board on top, Bike at the back plus 2 ski trips and
so far so good, I was well impressed going up the ski resort, the van cruse at 80MPH + on the French motorway with no problem (mine is the 85bhp remapped by Pendel performance to 115bhp).

No regrets so far

Posted By: simon bartlett
Date Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 21:54
Nearly 30 K after remapping my 174, nearly allways towing and no problems.

-------------
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))

Posted By: mistadave
Date Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 22:19
Only had the van remapped for 10k so far but had my previous car (volvo v40 1.9TD) remapped by celtic from 70k and I sold it at 123k and had zero engine problems apart from a clutch which was due to be replaced anyway.

BTW as we discussed in a previous thread celtic give bhp figures from the engine (as the manufacturers do, whereas most tuners only quote power increases from the wheels and when you compare the two they are pretty much the same.

I know LOADS of people who have had remaps on various diesels and covered HUGE mileages. One friend brought his 54 plate 130 T5 at 130k, had it remapped by revo and I believe has done 100k since with nothing other than standard services and a rear suspension part that failed.

As said before its about how you drive, there are plenty of people out there who drive slowly but with little mechanical understanding, poor clutch control etc and parts on their cars will wear out before someone who drives fast with a remapped engine but with a mind on smooth driving and just knowing how to treat a car properly.

Dave

-------------
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank

Date Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 22:43
cheers guys , and isn't it good to hear from the T5 owners who haven't had a problems for a change .
the silent majority me thinks Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 22:26
At Last Tongue thats good news  , and do you know what or who's map you have .
Got my egr valve blanked off so that should isolate that useless little beast .

Ha HA do you ever wonder when you look at the ever complicated maze of pipes and conectors etc under a modern bonnet , just how uncluttered it could all becomeif the not needed stuff was removed , like EGR Cat Dpf etc etc , would be like going back to the 80's again LOL
[/QUOTE]

Yep my van has a pendleperformance remap.
You,re right about how complicated modern vehicles are, it was,nt that long ago i used to do all my own maintenance, filters, brakes, headgasket i,d have a go, but now its all to complicated for me.

-------------

2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b

Date Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 23:10
on a positive note we don't have a cam belt to worry about . Cambelts on some vehicles were always the great levelers that sorted out the diy mechanics .  Now its just electrickery and factory induced mystery . From what I hear the T5 is actually easier to work on then the old t4

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 23:42

on a positive note we don't have a cam belt to worry about .

Just to clarify, on pre-FL T5's the 2.5 5cyl diesels don't have a cam belt, BUT the 2.0 4 cyls do have a cam belt, and IIRC the latest advice from VW is that it needs to be changed every 4 years, regardless of distance driven (but that particular story seems to change every other month).  If a cam belt lets go it can be a very expensive repair job, so not worth taking the risk.

I don't know whether the latest 4 cyl TDI engines (eg the 180ps twin turbo) have a cam belt or not (the latest petrol engines don't).

Posted By: lightning storm
Date Posted: 19 Mar 10 at 10:30
I 'know of' an Audi A4 '98 which was remapped by Derv Doctor. From 115 Bhp to 145Bhp. It covered over 100K miles with the modification with no undue side effects. It was driven quite hard during those miles too. Engine stayed strong, very tractable and reliable.
The same should be able to be applied to the VW engine too. I cant see too many problems with a remap, only positive gains.

Posted By: 5.2TDi
Date Posted: 19 Mar 10 at 12:26
Mine's only done 12k miles & still in warranty, but those flat spots were shite. So sod it couldn't resist - remapped. I'm silly like that!

Only time will tell if van will last, but it'll be enjoyable finding out - bit like life, party on & don't worry about old age Beer

Posted By: Pax
Date Posted: 19 Mar 10 at 21:16
i had my sportline kombi remaped at around 2k ,,,its very quick ,,very quick, abd i think its sounds like it draws in alot of air sometimes on revdown, but it might be that i rag it,
since the remap ive done 5k and its still going strong ,,, had to laugh though,,,
when i took it into a vw dealer to have the caravelle light fitted i asket one of the fitters to test drive it cos i thought i heard a knocking sound comming from the front end ,,,,i was sitting with a salesman when he walked in and he just stood next to me and said F**k me thats the fastest sportline ive ever been in ,,, thats not standard shurely, he says, i had to laugh but it was a proud moment 4 me ....
what im saying is this ,,,, they might not detect it on their computers but all they have to do is drive it and they will know!,,

-------------
59plate black 174 sportline kombi, remaped to 215bhp caravelle headlights and eyebrows,,, mean mutha fukka...widely known as lynford

Posted By: Onefut
Date Posted: 22 Mar 10 at 17:50
as soon as i can get the money to do a remap and persuad herindoors that its justifaible on economy grounds then ill deffo be doin it, i like the idea of smootinh out the power and gettin better mpg
i did look at getting the software an doin it meself but im not to sure where to get it from,

-------------
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB

Posted By: OOO 2 LOW
Date Posted: 13 Jun 10 at 22:39
I had my 174 remapped by buying a new ECU and having that reworked to 215bhp only to find that you have to know the donor vehicle details before you can swop ECUs, anyway I have a very good VW dealer that helped me. Anyway still have my 174 ecu which is perfect and was removed when I had 24k on the clock, ANYBODY WANT TO BUY IT? I have gone back to T4s got pissed off with the T5 breaking down it was crap.  Oh I did do a good mod !! put small self tappers in the turbo boost pipe cus it kept blowing off, self tappers in the alloy were the spring clip goes did the trick.

-------------
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can

Posted By: Happy Yellow
Date Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 14:59
I fitted a plug-in chip to my T4 at 100k km and went on to cover another 300k km before I sold it.  The makers claimed +25% power and torque.  I never had a problem, but the engine was 102 hp gutless to start with - Audis with the same engine had much more, so I considered the chip a risk worth taking.

I'm not convinced with the T5 174 - my drive-shaft failed at 80k miles!  If that's down to my driving-style, why didn't my big mileage T4 break?

-------------
2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles

Date Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 21:13

I'm not convinced with the T5 174 - my drive-shaft failed at 80k miles!  If that's down to my driving-style, why didn't my big mileage T4 break?

[/QUOTE]
because your T5 had almost twice the power and torque and you used it Confused 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 21:26
I bought a new T5 kombi 174  and had big ideas had it for about a year fitted new struts with fast air bags all round spent a fortune on it BUT !! got pissed of with it breaking down every 3 weeks on average - Turbo boost pipe blows off, windows leak, electrics fail, plastic falls off everywere, The Engine with it's chain driven cams is great but the electrics are rubbish the ecu registers everything even the top speed you have done, all ready for plod to plug in and nick you at a later date I expect !!   Nah give me a well proven T4 any day.   FACT the T5 was late  very late and was launched well before it was ready Tip do not buy a 2003 2004 T5 as they are untested parts bin specials  (In short don't buy a T5 that does not have the central locking button in with the window/mirror switch. The early ones they forgot to intergrate the central locking button inside these are the ones that are crap -  Trust me !!!!!!
Still got a 174 ECU if anyone wants one ? came with the van new - replaced it with a remapped one.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 22:34
Originally posted by OOO 2 LOW OOO 2 LOW wrote:

the ecu registers everything even the top speed you have done, all ready for plod to plug in and nick you at a later date I expect !!  

But I did that "Top Speed" on a private road...........Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:04
So - you get stopped on the M1  Plod pulls you over - plugs in and says wow ! 130 mph - yes officer you should see the length of my driveway.  Ok I'll let you off this time but wait untill we have speed limiters  in you ecu -  activated by motorway speed signs - No officer you need to cover your wages with fines it will never happed - Right you smart ass  let me see your service records on this vintage Vw T5 you know it is the law to have your vehicle serviced and your book stamped up to date since we done away with MOT's in 2020.   Enjoy your freedom while you can boys !!!! 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:31

So - you get stopped on the M1  Plod pulls you over - plugs in and says wow ! 130 mph - yes officer you should see the length of my driveway.  Ok I'll let you off this time but wait untill we have speed limiters  in you ecu 

Theres ALREADY is a speed limiter in a T5 ECU, this has been debated before

It wont do 130mph, "only" 120mph which I have personally verified on a private roadWink

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 09:10

Why Confused?

A vehicle should be designed to cope with the power that it has!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 09:31

It wont do 130mph, "only" 120mph which I have personally verified on a private roadWink

And that's an indicated 120 mph, so in reality it's less.

I suppose the exact maximum speed will depend on what size tyres you have fitted.  Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).  It's most frustrating when I've got high miles to cover.  My T4 was as fast.

-------------

Posted By: mistadave
Date Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 13:20
Had the speed limited removed on mine when i had the remap done - but having spent so much time and money converting the van i don't want to risk being banned from driving it by seeing how fast it will go in the UK. Will wait and try it out on the autobahn when I'm next over there :)

Dave

-------------
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank

Date Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 17:00
Originally posted by Happy Yellow Happy Yellow wrote:

Why Confused?

i think it is really , but the problem with the more powerful T5 is that it performs like a GTi but can be loaded to wiegh about 3 tons . So if you drive it hard then its going to wear out the things that take the strain at a much faster rate than a van with half the power .  Your tyre and brake wear rate is a good indicator of how hard you drive . Some of us get 40k or more to a set of tyres less then 10k . As for drive shafts how many people check the rubber boots over the joints regularly , and how many people accellerate away hard from junctions while they are still turning that kills driveshafts but few care or understand .

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 09:27

Why Confused?

i think it is really , but the problem with the more powerful T5 is that it performs like a GTi but can be loaded to weigh about 3 tons . So if you drive it hard then its going to wear out the things that take the strain at a much faster rate than a van with half the power .  Your tyre and brake wear rate is a good indicator of how hard you drive . Some of us get 40k or more to a set of tyres less then 10k . As for drive shafts how many people check the rubber boots over the joints regularly , and how many people accellerate away hard from junctions while they are still turning that kills driveshafts but few care or understand .

Re: your response to my statement:

I'm surprised that you can draw so many conclusions about my driving considering you know next to nothing about me.  It would make far more sense for you to ask questions, rather than teach.

If the T5 175 performs like a GTi, then it, as a whole, should be able to cope.  Just as a GTi Golf should be able to cope as a whole.

Same goes for the payload - mine is rated for 900 kg-odd; I only ever carry half that.  And not often.  4 to 6k miles out of around 30k per year.  Max.  Most of the time it's empty.

Here are some facts:

I don't drive hard.  I have a motorcycle for that.  These days, with congested roads; hard driving makes no sense.  My van is a tool that I treat with respect; not a play thing.

My first set of brake pads lasted: front: 86,404 km (53,688 miles); rear: 98,147 km (60,985 miles).

Front tyres: 79,295 km (49,644 miles).

My CV boot had not failed when the drive-shaft failed - besides, the CV boot has nothing to do with the common spline failure.  I check the boots every time I'm under the van, which is about twice a year.

Please think, or ask questions before making assumptions Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 14:51
Look The T4 was designed by real people and then evolved over the next 11 years to become the great van it is, However the T5 (Like most cars today) have had a huge part of it's design done on computers  and has not had chance to prove it's worth or indeed evolve. In short the early ones are without doubt  troublesome. I know I bought a new Kombi and it was a nightmare. However VW being VW will support the early years and will allow the T5 to evolve to become a great van "BUT IT IS NOT THERE YET - ASK ANY VW WARRANTY SUPPORT TEAM"

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 17:58

Why Confused?

i think it is really , but the problem with the more powerful T5 is that it performs like a GTi but can be loaded to weigh about 3 tons . So if you drive it hard then its going to wear out the things that take the strain at a much faster rate than a van with half the power .  Your tyre and brake wear rate is a good indicator of how hard you drive . Some of us get 40k or more to a set of tyres less then 10k . As for drive shafts how many people check the rubber boots over the joints regularly , and how many people accellerate away hard from junctions while they are still turning that kills driveshafts but few care or understand .

Re: your response to my statement:

I'm surprised that you can draw so many conclusions about my driving considering you know next to nothing about me.  It would make far more sense for you to ask questions, rather than teach.

If the T5 175 performs like a GTi, then it, as a whole, should be able to cope.  Just as a GTi Golf should be able to cope as a whole.

Same goes for the payload - mine is rated for 900 kg-odd; I only ever carry half that.  And not often.  4 to 6k miles out of around 30k per year.  Max.  Most of the time it's empty.

Here are some facts:

I don't drive hard.  I have a motorcycle for that.  These days, with congested roads; hard driving makes no sense.  My van is a tool that I treat with respect; not a play thing.

My first set of brake pads lasted: front: 86,404 km (53,688 miles); rear: 98,147 km (60,985 miles).

Front tyres: 79,295 km (49,644 miles).

My CV boot had not failed when the drive-shaft failed - besides, the CV boot has nothing to do with the common spline failure.  I check the boots every time I'm under the van, which is about twice a year.

Please think, or ask questions before making assumptions Wink

sorry Yellow I didn't mean to upset you  ,  but after all you did post this
"Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).  It's most frustrating when I've got high miles to cover.  My T4 was as fast.

So i presumed you show it no mercy  and expect it not to break . Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 20:45

I suppose the exact maximum speed will depend on what size tyres you have fitted.  Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).  It's most frustrating when I've got high miles to cover.  My T4 was as fast.

I had a  2.5 tdi T4 and yes it was reliable in fact my brother still has it but fast it aint well not compared to my 174, oh and talk about keep hitting the speed limiter its so frustrating is,nt it Wink i mean how are we supposed to get anything done Smile.

-------------

2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b

Date Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:06

sorry Yellow I didn't mean to upset you  ,  but after all you did post this
"Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).  It's most frustrating when I've got high miles to cover.  My T4 was as fast.

So i presumed you show it no mercy  and expect it not to break . Wink

No worries.  And fair play to you. Smile

You didn't upset me - you were way off the mark, and I was simply pointing that out.

Please note that I'm allowed to rev my engine to the 4,800 rpm red-line (is it really THAT low!), but at 126 mph it's only turning at 3,650 rpm - yes, the drive-shaft is turning fast, and so is half the gearbox, but it's a walk-in-the-park for the rest of the engine.

The drive-shaft is made of cheese - that's not why I buy a VW!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:22

I had a  2.5 tdi T4 and yes it was reliable in fact my brother still has it but fast it aint well not compared to my 174, oh and talk about keep hitting the speed limiter its so frustrating is,nt it Wink i mean how are we supposed to get anything done Smile.

Not only have you good taste in vans, but also bikes!

OK, I may have exaggerated a little - I did see an indicated 200 km/h in my T4, but by the time I managed to get a photo, the speed had dropped - honest!  See, it's not even at the red-line!

-------------

Posted By: Mr Hedgehog
Date Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:35

Not only have you good taste in vans, but also bikes!

OK, I may have exaggerated a little - I did see an indicated 200 km/h in my T4, but by the time I managed to get a photo, the speed had dropped - honest!  See, it's not even at the red-line!

ClapThat's still very good going for a van, I would recomend a video for a top speed run its easier to catch the top speed. This is my one in MPH, not in my van thoughSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:48
Tut Tut Mr HH!  You would say that, wouldn't you!

Err... looks like I'll have to try a bit harder next time.  My T5:

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:57
Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

ClapThat's still very good going for a van...

Not just a 'van' but an old van.  Did you clock the mileage (kilometerage?) - over 350k, that's over 200k miles!  She was a good old buss! Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 14:04

Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

ClapThat's still very good going for a van...

Not just a 'van' but an old van.  Did you clock the mileage (kilometerage?) - over 350k, that's over 200k miles!  She was a good old buss! Cry

I did see the KMS but it was so high that I thought I must be getting it wrong. You must have looked after it well to go that fast in it and for it to go that fast In the first place

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 14:09

Tut Tut Mr HH!  You would say that, wouldn't you!

Err... looks like I'll have to try a bit harder next time.  My T5:

I've had my 102 up to 175kph on a long run slightly down hill

-------------

Posted By: mycarkeys
Date Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 15:23
I have a T5 174 with 145000 miles on the clock and i have over serviced it oil and filter wise using longlife oil and have had no problems whatsoever  and its an 04. re-mapped to 205 bhp and that has been for the last 70k or so without issue so what people say about them breaking down is in my opinion just the odd bad van (and all vehicle lines have them) and they obviously will crow about it but as a locksmith who knows other locksmiths with these vans there have been no problems but i would say that the 2.5 driven sensibly (not slowly) is a better bet than a 1.9 as it will  cope better with the workload.

Just bought a 59 reg 174 lwb with 7k on the clock and will definately be having it re-mapped 

-------------
2014 T30 T5 Transporter 2.0 140 Highline making work as a vehicle locksmith that bit more enjoyable

www.mycarkeys.co.uk

Date Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 15:42

I bought a new T5 kombi 174  and had big ideas had it for about a year fitted new struts with fast air bags all round spent a fortune on it BUT !! got pissed of with it breaking down every 3 weeks on average - Turbo boost pipe blows off, windows leak, electrics fail, plastic falls off everywere, The Engine with it's chain driven cams is great but the electrics are rubbish the ecu registers everything even the top speed you have done, all ready for plod to plug in and nick you at a later date I expect !!   Nah give me a well proven T4 any day.   FACT the T5 was late  very late and was launched well before it was ready Tip do not buy a 2003 2004 T5 as they are untested parts bin specials  (In short don't buy a T5 that does not have the central locking button in with the window/mirror switch. The early ones they forgot to intergrate the central locking button inside these are the ones that are crap -  Trust me !!!!!!
Still got a 174 ECU if anyone wants one ? came with the van new - replaced it with a remapped one.

See the post above mate. I would concur with you if what you were saying was correct.... at least from a 174 perspective but its not, so to say trust me they are all crap is a little off the mark in my honest opinion as all the guys i know have no problems much the same as my experience.

I would say I am only trading up to a newer reg as it is my livelyhood and the age and mileage suggests that something will go soon but to be honest theres been no sign of it thus far and its to be hoped that whoever i sell it to will have many miles of joy like I have

Also re the speed limiters in the ecu post........... do you read the daily mail by any chance Wink

-------------
2014 T30 T5 Transporter 2.0 140 Highline making work as a vehicle locksmith that bit more enjoyable

www.mycarkeys.co.uk

Date Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 21:56
Originally posted by mycarkeys mycarkeys wrote:

Also re the speed limiters in the ecu post........... do you read the daily mail by any chance Wink

Please elaborate...........?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 22:53
Its a joke the mail always get hysterical about what the government is "supposed" to be doing to us. The speed limiters on cars being one such headline 

-------------

www.mycarkeys.co.uk

Posted By: downhiller
Date Posted: 13 Oct 10 at 21:44

I suppose the exact maximum speed will depend on what size tyres you have fitted.  Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).

The limiter is 118mph (and yeah, that's about 125indicated in my T5).

-------------
Bog-standard poverty-spec 174ps T5 panel van (black, LWB)

Posted By: matsvan
Date Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 08:17
...and so the question remains...
Should i get a remap in the new year?
I am now at a grand 125,000 miles and certainly have no warranty and apart from my headlight leveller and a strange whirring noise from some kind of fan, i dont seem to have any issues (cross fingers). I do need more economy though and might even consider sacraficing performance for (much) more.
Incidently, it would be a proper one at somewhere like Celtic.

-------------
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB

Date Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 20:08
I would ask the guy at celtic what he thinks . i was the worlds most sceptical untill I had my van done at celtic . the results are certainly impressive . I had an economy map done as i didn't feel the need for any more power . It still gave my van 196 HP and a shed load more torque . i mainly notice the fuel is better on a long run , local running hasn;t changed a lot maybe 1 or 2 mpg better .

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 20:22
anyone had a GP remapped yet?

Date Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 20:42
Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

I believe it involves removing the ECU and "bench flashing" it due to anti mapping measures which are in place

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 20:46

Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

I believe it involves removing the ECU and "bench flashing" it due to anti mapping measures which are in place
last week mine had a software update done at VW. drives like it's been remapped in comparison..smoother, faster,quieter....all in all mental for a new van. It was the fix for regen light keep coming on / van  trying to regen but failing, lumpy idle, shit performance, fuel guzzling.

Posted By: SimonsideResident
Date Posted: 17 Nov 10 at 20:09
While we`re on about this, how does +45hp on a 102ps TDI sound?Too much or about right? Oh and +70 ftlbs of torque..apparently Wink

Date Posted: 17 Nov 10 at 23:05
Originally posted by SimonsideResident SimonsideResident wrote:

While we`re on about this, how does +45hp on a 102ps TDI sound?Too much or about right? Oh and +70 ftlbs of torque..apparently Wink

It sounds quite pleasing, and about right IMO

Celtic claim to get 160+ from an 85.........Wacko

-------------

Posted By: The Loon
Date Posted: 18 Nov 10 at 12:19

Celtic claim to get 160+ from an 85.........Wacko

Mine is pushing 145 from their old 150 map. Now as ES says, their new map is 160+. Let the good times roll.

-------------
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.

Posted By: SimonsideResident
Date Posted: 23 Nov 10 at 01:07
Done it, and I think its just right...

Posted By: MultiplexMan
Date Posted: 22 Dec 10 at 13:36
Anyone had a Forge Tuning remap?  or Revo?

Forge's is an OBDII tuning job and according to their web site has been supplied to some VW/Audi dealerships.  I'm curious as some overseas agents that handle Forge products also handle Revo - wondering if they are the same (?). 

Date Posted: 20 Jan 11 at 19:44
I just got quoted AUD1200 for a Revo tune.

UK price is GBP299 (AUD481)

There is a local expression we use down under - this is just taking the p!ss !!!  Censored

I'm going to make do with physical upgrades and will leave the electronics alone - unless I can get a Revo from the UK. Evil Smile

Date Posted: 20 Jan 11 at 20:59
Originally posted by MultiplexMan MultiplexMan wrote:

There is a local expression we use down under - this is just taking the p!ss !!!  Censored

I'm going to make do with physical upgrades and will leave the electronics alone - unless I can get a Revo from the UK. Evil Smile
Cant remember the name for them , but what about one of those boxes that allow you to load your own map . Celtic do one .

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 11 at 23:13

Originally posted by MultiplexMan MultiplexMan wrote:

Cant remember the name for them , but what about one of those boxes that allow you to load your own map . Celtic do one .

Yep, thats the direction I would be taking if faced with your dilemma

The tuned map comes in a plug in tool (that doubles up as a basic code reader), you simply connect it to your van, download the standard map (in case you need to put it back to standard for any reason) and upload the tuned map - simples

I believe Celtics version is called the "Emotion" but there are others along the same lines like Superchips who have their "Bluefin" version

It sounds to me like there is potential profit to be had here......Wink

-------------

Posted By: simon bartlett
Date Posted: 21 Jan 11 at 07:24
Isn't there someone with a bluefin for sale on here or the other forum, I think he was asking for £150 but would take offers.

-------------
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))

Date Posted: 21 Jan 11 at 19:14

I have looked at BlueFin and that was one of my options.

I cannot remember reading if they have revised their code so that a rewrite does not increment the ECU log?  I'm also not sure how you go about "re-registering" someone else's BlueFin...

I'll make some more telephone calls once I'm back on R&R.

I certainly won't be buying local. Angry

Posted By: fozzy T5
Date Posted: 24 Feb 11 at 20:35
ive got the celtic  emotion box with 3 maps the 85 150 and 169

Posted By: spitss1
Date Posted: 06 Apr 11 at 09:22
Fozzy - you had any clutch slippages with the top map?

Posted By: gason
Date Posted: 06 May 11 at 17:32
i have been debating getting a remap and spoke to someone  at pedal performance after a recommendation on this site, The figures quoted by some of these other firms are total rubbish ,buy a slow van spend £200 odd and you have a speed machine ,I dont think so, VW would be doing it if it was that good 

Posted By: The Loon
Date Posted: 06 May 11 at 18:52
Originally posted by gason gason wrote:

VW would be doing it if it was that good 

They do......

-------------
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.

Posted By: delilah
Date Posted: 08 May 11 at 01:47
Wow tuning reccommended by bilboes did me a fuel economy map also a towing map- they are added via a dongle & can go back to original from it too- it drives easier approaches junctions in higher gear without stalling etc no loass of power it is a 174  i get it serviced every 9000 & drive it gently...fuel has gone up a few mpgs in hot weather i get up to 44 mpg motorway usually around 40 but only from 30 ish to 34 on slow roads

Posted By: fozzy T5
Date Posted: 08 May 11 at 07:34
Originally posted by spitss1 spitss1 wrote:

Fozzy - you had any clutch slippages with the top map?

Nope no issues at all, as ive mentoned before i never hammer my van 60 70 on motorway its doesn't get used much either its only on 35k atm and its a 06 its probs done 13k with the celtic map though.

Date Posted: 08 May 11 at 10:46
I was going to sell my bilboes 174 camper & downsize to lwb van- it was remapped about 18 months ago -no probs- [mine 06- I got it off a teacher with 8 k on it  3 yrs ago -now has just over 40 k & been serviced properly every 10 k appx & had its big service ]- but the 08 van i tried b cos it had 4 motion had only 25 k on the clock from a dealer who seemed to have lots of refurbished vw t5 vans  resprayed & blinged up---  only been serviced once longlife  even that saw no paperwork for - seemed a nice enough van but when i got there something I instinctively distrusted /disliked about it or the dealer plus hadn't realised 4 motion is on all the time - always using more fuel-- plus empty van noisy/ rattled - after test drive I felt  thankful to get back into my own camper van..!. decided am keeping it despite the expense- - i realise would be so easy to buy into engine trouble & tailgate vans without windows esp are sometimes thrashed - my camper has been driven gently

Date Posted: 10 Jul 11 at 22:55
tailgate vans without windows are thrashed  ???   whay would a van get thrashed more just because it had a tailgate instead of barn doors ???
In fact I would expect the opposite , a tailgate is a special order i believe , most thrashed vans are not driven by owners but by company drivers and companies more often buy stabdard cheaper options .

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 11 at 10:12
i meant vans in general theres a risk-not just with tailgates--- i still have the camper as cant seem to find a van thats right for me --maybe i have become wary as i looked at an x trail few months ago but mileage was too high then recently i saw similar looking x trail outside the dealers house & his wife said it was low mileage & a different one- so i went back to see it & yes it was now a low mileage x trail... --but it had exactly the same scuffs in same places & same stone chip & same suppliers sticker in rear window...

Date Posted: 11 Jul 11 at 14:49
thought so , just testing LOL

I think you are right there is a greater risk with all comercials that they have been used badly .
You don't tend to find that nice low miles example owned and cherished by a retired person who drove it to church once a week .
For that reason i spent 3 times as much on my van as i do on my cars just to get a really low miles year old van from a main dealer . I would hate to have to try to replace it now that its 5 years old and only done 50k

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 11 at 16:09
i did 400 mile round trip yesterday & the miles per gallon avaraged just below 40 on the way back when i wasnt going so fast -which isnt so bad i suppose -..bit less on way there-rushing to get there on time..  frightened myself about buying a used van afterreading the tech forums all the thing smay go wrong on a van esp if not cared for --& they are still expensive at 5 yrs old--

Posted By: Vansportman
Date Posted: 31 Aug 11 at 11:47
canceled

-------------
If it aint really low i don't want to know

Posted By: happyhooker
Date Posted: 08 Sep 11 at 11:19
Read with interest this topic!

Having a van well out or warrantee I am not worried about this issue, however it would be great to have a list of ECU remaps that people have had done, by whom and if they would do it again. Also what their engine spec was originally.

Cheers

Paul

-------------
Keep Smiling Another Day Tomorrow! :-)
86 T3 'Animal Instincts' JX Pushed...
If you smell Chip Fat it's probably me!!

Posted By: wully
Date Posted: 27 Oct 11 at 12:43

However VW being VW will support the early years and will allow the T5 to evolve to become a great van "BUT IT IS NOT THERE YET - ASK ANY VW WARRANTY SUPPORT TEAM"

No they sodding well didn't. 'support' from VW is a joke in my experience.

It's the main thing holding me back from buying another T5.   

Date Posted: 27 Oct 11 at 14:38
Originally posted by happyhooker happyhooker wrote:

Read with interest this topic!

Having a van well out or warrantee I am not worried about this issue, however it would be great to have a list of ECU remaps that people have had done, by whom and if they would do it again. Also what their engine spec was originally.

Cheers

Paul

had the same issues there . Celtic in roche cornwall were the only people who really told me what I wanted to know without finding the need to slag the oposition or bulshit me .
 As an ex mechanic i can spot bullshit very quickly .
I felt they really knew what they were doing and had the ability to customise and alter the map to suit my requirements . I also saw my van tested before and after on the rolling road , which wasn't the scary thrash the nellies of it experience I had feared .
Ultimate power wasn't what i was interested in although the celtic map had the best figures , it was driveability economy and what was actually done to produce the changes .
To a layman It seemed the answer to my questions were lots of tuners  just turn up tubo boost and fuel  and get more power . Done properly there are so many other setting that are changed and the boost doen't need to be altered much at all which therefore doesn't put any more strain on the engine .  However the extra power and torque is considerable and with any power increase comes the ability to put more strain on the whole vehicle , used sensibly its fine , but if you drive it you stole it with a ton of load in the back then don't be surprised or blame the van if something breaks .

-------------

Posted By: Slumpy Monster
Date Posted: 10 Nov 11 at 01:05
Hi, 
I just recently mapped Brickwerks T4 and I was just browsing the thread and thought I would throw this in. If you have a good tuning company they should have public liability insurance. A lot don't. On mine it states product cover this is referring to product's made by the company. As I write my own remap files they are my product thus being covered by my insurance. The limit is £5m.

A few pointers when getting a tune.

1. No map is totally undetectable.
2. Really you should tell your insurance company if you cause a fatality the police will check for a remap as they have called us before. But many insurance companies are ok with remapping but it depends on the underwriters. We are in the process of developing some remap files which will be insurance approved. This will also be a limited number of companies.
3. If you have an under lying fault a remap will bring it to the surface. i.e. a bit of clutch judder from your dual mass after the remap even more judder.

If your getting your van mapped these are the things I would look for.
1. Do you know if they write there own files if they don't where are they from? Many remapper's say be careful of people that buy there files they are all generic. We have 12 dealers and they all get files written by me does this make them better or worse than me?
2. Are they insured?
3. Find out from the customers if they are good. Pointless asking a tuner who is good they will tell you everyone else but them is rubbish. 
4. What is the heritage of the map writer. For instance I raced karts from the age of 12 and have been a race car mechanic and worked as a master technician.
5. Do they carry out dyno testing?

I hope this helps!

-------------
John Slumbers
www.kudosremapping.com
07825 837713

Date Posted: 10 Nov 11 at 01:08
Moved workshops landline number is different just changed it!

-------------
John Slumbers
www.kudosremapping.com
07825 837713

Date Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 00:07
Hi all just a word of warning new info from VW, everytime a diagnostic check is run on the van the diagnostic machine automatically sends the results online to germany if the ecu map has been changed they put a code on the dealer systems and advise that if any damage occurs which could be down to external modification will result in void warranty apparently it is stated in the handbooks,also the new T5.1gp is subject to various ecu upgrades via the dealer network if a map is installed during these updates best case is the remap is deleted and it goes back to factory spec or it can damage the ecu.Big brother is watching !

Date Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 00:11
Thanks for the info m-t.  I wonder if all this complication actually happens, or whether VW are just trying to put the fear of god into everyone so they won't mess with VW's "perfect" programming/mapping (wouldn't be the first time for a manufacturer).

Posted By: Berisford
Date Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 08:15
Well I can see how that might be possible to do, however, I've never read here or on any other forum of a owner being told to sod off by a dealer/manufacturer because the ECU has been doctored!

I suspect it could be a job for Snopes?

-------------
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.

Posted By: Steve B
Date Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 09:00
He did say "new" info though so this news could be very very recent...and he's never been anything but helpful on here so why doubt him now?

Date Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 10:26
He is correct BMW have used the system for ages. My friend tells me that the new bmw the key in them downloads the map via bluetooth to the dealer network. As for vw I know they were trying to do something about it. To be fair on them some bad tuners have been costing them lots of cash.

I was told by a Liscense Tech at VW that they will only invalidate the warranty on the parts the remap could affect. So your radio and steering rack would be covered but not your driveshafts and engine mounts.

-------------
John Slumbers
www.kudosremapping.com
07825 837713

Date Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 19:52
This info has just been handed out to dealers there was a system before to check for tuning but it involved sending info to the factory, now the new diagnostic software checks this when any diag is run and the info is sent directly to the factory for monitoring, if a mod has been done they put a code on the dealer systems.It has got dealers concerned as the dealer bears the cost of any repair until warranty pays out if the tuning code is missed and warranty doesnt pay out then obviously the dealer is out of pocket.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 11 at 00:59
The really smart remappers might be able to figure out which exact piece/s of information the VW software looks at and leaves that unchanged.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net