Late model T5 problems still exist?

Printed From: The Brick-yard
Category: T5 Section
Forum Name: T5 Chat
Forum Description: Forum for T5 specific chat
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44222
Printed Date: 14 Oct 19 at 03:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Late model T5 problems still exist?
Posted By: solarboy
Subject: Late model T5 problems still exist?
Date Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 20:59
I'm currently a T4 driver but the ole gal has now done 250K kms and I'm looking into buying a brand spanking T5 here in Portugal. I am just wondering if any of the major reliability issues have already been dealt with ? ( DMF, water pump and whatever else). I'm also looking at the Trafic but I've owned french filth vans before and always heated the build quality. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: blackvanman
Date Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 21:05
hang on for the facelift which i believe is available here early nxt year. 

-------------
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black

Posted By: Ex-car bloke
Date Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 21:36
Originally posted by solarboy solarboy wrote:

I am just wondering if any of the major reliability issues have already been dealt with ? 

Let's put it this way.  What "major reliability problems" would these be?

Take the real world for example.  Every high mileage T5 taxi driver I've ever talked to has had trouble free motoring.  They've sold, how many?  Over a million?  More?  I wonder what tiny proportion of these have really had "major reliability problems"?  Not many, I would guess, as the grapevine and the resulting damage to the brand would surely be devastating.

Now take the world of the brick-yard.  It's an accepted fact that places like this (excellent) public forum are naturally frequented by a higher than average proportion of people who have had problems with their vehicle and are seeking some advice or just want a public place to vent their frustrations.  How many T5 owners are on here?  Well, over 260 have completed the poll, so let's say there are 260.

And how many of t hose 260 have had what you would call "major reliability problems"?  Very few, but (as with any car/van/hifi/camera/fishing reel etc etc) a small number of very unlucky people (like T5TDI) who have had a catalogue of serious problems and are understandably vocal about them.

I'd wager that the vast majority of the 260 on here have had a few niggles (like the clonk and window leaks, including me) but not major problems.

And if that is the case, how many of the one million (or whatever the number is) T5s out there are having major reliability problems?

This is just my opinion but it all adds up to me.  Like a lot of things on the internet the poor reliability of the 2.5lt T5 is very likely to be an urban myth and extremely unlikely to be fact.

Common sense tells you that the later runs of the current model which include updated versions of allegedly weak parts (eg window seals) will be the better buys.  The new model is likely to have niggles just like the 2003/4 models.

So I'd say, as an average owner, the T5 is a superb, reliable van and a wonderful vehicle.  Get a VW approved one with known history and don't worry.

Cue a T5 owner who has had problems....  

-------------
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van

Posted By: Fast[Plumber
Date Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 21:56
Clap

-------------
T30 174 SWB.
Raven Blue,new Sportlines.
Im the one with the silly smile when Driving!

Posted By: tt07
Date Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 22:15
Well said ex-car bloke

Posted By: The Transporter
Date Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 22:25
I'm afraid that I'm not as charitable as ECB, perhaps my old 800 Special T4 and a string of Toyota and Lexus cars have made my expectations higher than the expectations of others but the truth is that all modern vans are built down to a price and are all equally shit, but they are nice to drive. All manufacturers use their customers as guinea pigs which helps to shorten product testing before launch.. The very early T5s were abysmal but steadily improved to the point where the last of the T5s will be the best of the bunch, but come the replacement we will all be back to square one RE product testing

-------------
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.

Posted By: GTaye
Date Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 22:35
Well said ECB and Transporter...The new ones (with the new range of engines) will have their fare share of issues I'm sure and as I'm picking up my T5 on Saturday you can see where I've put my money...

Posted By: gregozedobe
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 00:28
I agree with all of the above.  If reliability is an important factor I would be buying a late build T5, not an early build Face Lift van (T5.5 ?).

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 01:17
Excellent advice from you all. Thank you. I understand where you're coming from ECB but I've owned a T4 1.9TD from 50kmiles to 155kmiles and until I hit 140k NOTHING went wrong, not one thing. I changed oil (always synthetic) and glow plugs, pads etc but no driveshafts, flywheels, water pumps, etc. Even on the french filth Extra (yuk) I drove before I only needed driveshafts (200 quid) and a steering box (150 ish) until it warped it's head at 140k. I'm feeling a bit torn between new and old now. Which leads me back to the question, is the DMF any better than it was, have the waterpump issues been resolved. I'm only looking to buy a 105HP 1.9 so maybe these aren't so much of an issue. I think I've read back to page 46 of this forum tonight and I am seriously impressed with you all putting so much into this. Wish I could fix my T4 now though.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 01:18
LOL just noticed the auto editing of my last post teehee

Posted By: The Transporter
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 03:21
I think that the water pump issues have been sorted, as have the window leaks. The clonk is history. In terms of turbos, then the T5 is just as vulnerable as any other turbocharged vehicle but the DM Flywheels really suck but you won't find a diesel van or car in production that doesnt have one... The days of running a vehicle and changing pads, oil and filters are history but in many ways it is the fault of the customer who demanded diesel economy with petrol levels of refinement, we got what we wanted but forgot that the trade off was reliabillity and durabillity....Cry

-------------
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.

Posted By: zedzedeleven
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 10:11
There is an (as yet) unsolved observation about the dmf. Apparently two different units are available from two different manufacturers, purely anecdotal evidence along with experienced engineering opinion suggests that one unit may be better build quality than the other. We could really do with some facts about this issue, because if one really is better than the other then no prizes for guessing which one we will insist on if a replacement becomes necessary. Not just the vans either, the data should extend to all vehicles. I personally would also like to read a report on the consequences of converting to a single mass flywheel. What did the T4 have ?

-------------
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 12:05

I understand where you're coming from ECB but I've owned a T4 1.9TD from 50kmiles to 155kmiles and until I hit 140k NOTHING went wrong, not one thing. 

I have to concede, despite what I said, that anecdotally the T4 does seem to be a more reliable vehicle than the T5, but what the earlier models were like I don't know - were our predecessors having similar chats about the T4 back then?

Interesting discussion on the DMF.  I try to drive mine VERY smoothly on take off and changing in lower gears because I'm paranoid that the flywheel will go bang.  I do have an intermittent slight clutch judder in 1st/reverse, hopefully not a bad sign...

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 13:23
I did the clutch on my 1.9TD T4 this year and it had a solid flywheel. I have read that the 2.5 had a DMF but I dont think it was a problem issue.

Posted By: borg
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 15:07
I've got one of the first T5's from the beginning of 2004 and not had any problems with it at all. Touch wood.

There was also never any recalls done on the one I have, so I wonder if things got worse as they went on. Also I don't have DMF on mine as they came in later.

Posted By: mcguyver
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 16:27
I agree with Transporter, the reliability problems of modern vans (and cars), usually stem from modifications to previously reliable parts. For example the dmf; for the sake of a smoother running vehicle, we have exchanged a solid disc, for two discs with springs connecting them that will naturally wear out eventually (in some cases, quite quickly). I, for one, think that commercial vehicles, which can be subject to quite robust usage, should have stuck with the standard flywheel and leave the dmfs for passenger cars.

Another 'improvement' is the modern fuel delivery system. The T5 has, in effect, three fuel pumps: one in the fuel tank (which needs the tank removing to access), the tandem pump on the end of the camshaft, and the unit injector. As good as the T5 PD system is for pressure delivery, I feel that the old fuel system fitted to LT and T4 using one combined injector/lift pump has a statistically less chance of failure than the three on the T5.

Of course, VW cannot take all the blame for the complification of the vans, as the main cause of the change of fuel system is the ever more stringent Euro emissions standards, which are also responsible for the engine choking dpf.

As Transporter says, the days of diesel vans covering vast mileages with no trouble (with a few exceptions) are gone. In this repect, I don't think VW are any worse than any other marque as regards reliability, but, unfortunately, they are no better either. Volkswagens have still got that quality feel about them but the trust in the brand has gone.

To answer the OP, I think the T5.0 has got it's niggles pretty much sorted, and a late example should be reliable. However, if you can afford it, I think I would take my chances with the new model: I know there'll be the teething troubles, but, as the T5.1 shares quite a few components with the 5.0, I think that the common faults should have been rectified. In effect, we've all been a testbed for the new model, or 'returns quality control' as it's called.

mac 

Posted By: kawolsky
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 17:02
We`re trading in the wifes BMW 1 series because of the DMF clutch judder problems. check out this link. my point is, as noted above, it isnt just T5's that suffer with this issue.
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2976&start=105 - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2976&start=105
The latest BMW fix is via a remap to reduce power!!!!!

Posted By: smidsy
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 17:20
it sounds like you keep your vans for quite a while solarboy.

if thats the case there really is no choice.

i haven't met a traffic/vivaro owner yet who didn't wish they had spent a bit more and got a T5.

plus i'd rather have to replace the DMF than have the van trashed by an electrical fire.
(heard of loads, know personally of two)

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 19:02
Smidsy you're right there, and you also answered another question which was what makes the T5 better than the Trafic etc. I do have a third alternative which is import/source an almost new engine+gbox and drop it in my T4 to see if I can make 400k but it is starting to look a bit scrappy. It is looking more like a T5 though and MacGyvers points about the new version do seem to have some validity, I'd assume they've altered the line to fix some of the issues already so it boils down to how many litres of diesel I will save over 150k and if that balances out any(if any) extra repair costs.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 19:46
I went through the same dilema with my LT, solarboy. Bottom line is money: A new Transporter, rock bottom spec, in the UK is around 14k + VAT. A reconditioned engine and gearbox for your T4, say 2k at most. Ok, so other parts could be getting ready, but apart from the steering gear, nothing is too expensive.

I'm not sure about economy on the T4s. You can expect to average late 30s in a 1.9 T5, how's that compare to what you're getting now?

In the end, it's down to your preference. I bought a T5 and am completely thrilled with it, but, when I see my old LT running around, there's a part of me that would gladly take it back, even the rusty parts.

mac

Posted By: GymRatZ
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 19:56
Realistically what's the main "weak point" DMF and Variable Vane Turbo. of which the facelift will have a DMF and I shouldn't wonder if All models except the twin-turbo 175 will also have VVT's so for me there was no argument. End of line model that's had all the recall issues sorted and all the squeeks, leaks & Rattles rectified or a new beast that will no doubt be using the same DMF and VVT of old plus have the inerrant problems of a new model/motor.
It's nice to have a new "old" model as there's a ton of after market stuff already waiting to go. Not to mention re-maps and stuff. (perish the thought)
Wink 

-------------
https://www.gymratz.co.uk

Gym Equipment & WaterRower shop

Posted By: mozicheek
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 20:39
Don't wish to be a complete mechanical numpty but what is the DMF and what goes wrong with it!!Confused  

-------------
T30 2.5

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 20:51
i have to admit, there has been times when i'd wished that i kept my old T4 and just got a new engine for it.  
but it was getting scruffy at 16yrs old and starting to cost in silly repairs. plus if i had gone the new engine route i would be sitting in it for another ten years.

take yourself off to the dealership in your T4 and do a straight comparison. that way you'll know what you want to be sitting in for the foreseeable future.

and if it does break, remember how much better it is to drive than the T4. (softens the pain in the wallet)Smile

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 20:54
Originally posted by mozicheek mozicheek wrote:

Don't wish to be a complete mechanical numpty but what is the DMF and what goes wrong with it!!Confused  

Ahem..coughEmbarrassed
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/dual-mass-flywheel-uncovered_topic42867_post330852.html?KW=#330852 - http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/dual-mass-flywheel-uncovered_topic42867_post330852.html?KW=#330852

Posted By: La Brique
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:24
On the phone with main dealer today discussing a DMF issue & was told the lateast spec DMF was introduced in 01/11/2008 ..............................VW part # 070105266Q
I was going to ask him if this was a LUK or Sachs supplied item but conversation moved onto next subject & my question was lost Ermm

It would be good to gather some feedback on forum to see which DMF proves better in long time reliability terms.

La Brique 

-------------
RHD 1988 Single cab pick up Syncro 1.6TD
Was in France, now re-located back to Blighty {near Stamford}

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:39
You know, it does have a 'velle front end which makes it look quite modern but the power always let her down (68HP i think). How much you think for a 2.5 TDI with box and how easy would it be to drop into my van? I'm wondering what would need to be changed, maybe downpipe,injection pump cables,hoses blah blah. I'm ranting now. I could respray her for 1k and tadaa..hmm

Posted By: tdfiver
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:46
I live up in the Scotish Highlands about 30 miles North of Inverness.

Vans I see around these parts are in the main Transporter T5's. I reckon around 80% are T5's with the rest usual Trannys Mercs etc. Most of the bigger busineses use a VW, of one sort or another.

So, they cannot be all that bad.

-------------
getting grumpy now

Posted By: energysolutions
Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 22:15
Originally posted by tdfiver tdfiver wrote:

Vans I see around these parts are in the main Transporter T5's. I reckon around 80% are T5's with the rest usual Trannys Mercs etc. Most of the bigger busineses use a VW, of one sort or another.

A Merc that close to salty sea air would be like a teabag with rust in a matter of weeks!

Tyres and windows would be all thats left after a few months!LOL

-------------
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 22:23
To be honest I thrash mine mainly on mountain roads and still get 30 ish. I find I have to thrash it though and she rarely goes below 2500rpm and quite a dog uphill on the motorways. Looks like theres a lot of wiring issues with putting a 2.5tdi in mine so it's either get another ABL and maybe tune it up a bit.
I'd love to hear of T5 owners who never needed to replace the DMF..do they exist? The other issues don't phase me too much but having to crack your drivetrain in half every 40k is ridiculous, I might as well stick with the T4.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 22:38
It's funny, this whole DMF thing.  I've been following this forum since the beginning like the vanorak my forum status indicates, and it seems that only in recent months has the DMF issue really come up.

There was a recent thread about a van that had had three clutch assemblies and was being stitched up by their garage and one or two isolated stories but as far as I can gather this is not an "issue" like the clonk or leaky windows.  At least I hope not, as mine is a 174 with 48k miles on it and a slightly juddery clutch. Confused  

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 22:41

To be honest I thrash mine mainly on mountain roads and still get 30 ish. I find I have to thrash it though and she rarely goes below 2500rpm and quite a dog uphill on the motorways. Looks like theres a lot of wiring issues with putting a 2.5tdi in mine so it's either get another ABL and maybe tune it up a bit.
I'd love to hear of T5 owners who never needed to replace the DMF..do they exist? The other issues don't phase me too much but having to crack your drivetrain in half every 40k is ridiculous, I might as well stick with the T4.

As others on the forum have said before, these places by nature attract owners with problems ie something breaks and the owner takes a look via Mr Google to see if it is common/what the solution is

Trouble free VWs are out there, my mate has a T5 and has had no trouble despite the fact he could break an anvil - he called me one day to ask if his van was due a service after 40,000 miles!!!

So in conclusion, places like this are great but tend to attract horror stories rather than statements such as "My VW is fantastic, never misses a beat, and Solarboy would be crazy not to get one"

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 09:31

You know, it does have a 'velle front end which makes it look quite modern but the power always let her down (68HP i think). How much you think for a 2.5 TDI with box and how easy would it be to drop into my van? I'm wondering what would need to be changed, maybe downpipe,injection pump cables,hoses blah blah. I'm ranting now. I could respray her for 1k and tadaa..hmm

I'm guessing you've got the 2.4 non turbo under the bonnet. I was driving one a few months back, I kept thinking the hand brake was on or a flat tyre or something, it was very slow.

If yours is pre-facelift, you may have a problem fitting a 2.5 Tdi as they made the engine compartment larger on the new model. I always prefered the 1.9 Tdi anyway, but, I think you may have trouble fitting one of those as well.

I'm no expert, though. Why not ask in the brick-yard T4 forum? There may even be someone with a good engine/gearbox for sale.

mac

Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 10:46
Just for my own personal clarification, is Borg right here or did he mean DPF
Quote Borg <Also I don't have DMF on mine as they came in later.>
I have a 2004 1.9 T5 and I would be relieved to find it didn`t have a DMF. (or a DPF)

-------------

bring me sunshine.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 10:50
Quote ECB < I do have an intermittent slight clutch judder in 1st/reverse, hopefully not a bad sign...>
                  < mine is a 174 with 48k miles on it and a slightly juddery clutch. >
Not whistling in the dark here are you ECB ? LOL

-------------

bring me sunshine.

Posted By: CLONKY
Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 12:03
Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

Quote ECB < I do have an intermittent slight clutch judder in 1st/reverse, hopefully not a bad sign...>
                  < mine is a 174 with 48k miles on it and a slightly juddery clutch. >
Not whistling in the dark here are you ECB ? LOL

Thats what mine was doing (at 43K,i think) and it was the DMF.

Posted By: La Brique
Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 13:17
My 130 Velle is showing simular symtoms as ECB, for me a very slight clutch judder in 1st from cold & a slight judder in reverse more noticable when on an incline. Velle has just reached 50k miles and will be treated to a fresh DMF shortly.

I'm pulling away gently in the lower gears as ECB describes further up the thread, I will have a big sigh of relief once sorted.

Saying all this, I would not swap my Velle for any other van. I just love the way it eats the miles in comfort Smile

-------------
RHD 1988 Single cab pick up Syncro 1.6TD
Was in France, now re-located back to Blighty {near Stamford}

Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 15:41
Right.  I've now read all the threads on DMFs and looked at all the horrific photos.  Not sure how I missed them first time round, think I was away maybe.

Now I'm really scared.  Like, seriously worried.

And I may completely reconsider my position in defending the T5 as a reliable vehicle. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 15:42
Oh, what's the consensus on cost of replacement of DMF/clutch?  £600 all in from an indy?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 15:54
T4 exhaust fell off today, this decision is getting easier. If I find a 2003 T4 with less than 50k on I'll seriously consider it though.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 19:30
Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

Oh, what's the consensus on cost of replacement of DMF/clutch?  £600 all in from an indy?

£766.22 including the VAT. that was from mr clutch.
went with them because not only were they the cheapest but it's what they do day in day out so i reckoned they would get it done without hassel and i have fallen out big time with my local garage.

i was going to leave you in ignorant bliss but others have pointed out that your symptoms are known to be DMF issues so it looks like time to prepare. you'll soon fall in love again with the van once the wallet pain subsides.

also i would guess that yours has got a bit of spring wedged in the lobe of the moving side of the flywheel, maybe a bit of rough treatment would help it.

as a footnote. when the spring finally digs it way out, the flywheel sprays the thick metal filing grease round the bell housing and into the starter motor drive gear resulting eventually in a seized starter. another £250 on top of the flywheel job. just to make your dayOuch

Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 23:02
Ouch indeed!

Thanks for the advice though.  Forewarned is forearmed I guess.  The judder is intermittent at present.  Does it get more constant when it's starting to go? 

I can't believe that with my super-smooth driving - no clutchslipping, very careful takeoff in first and reverse and careful gearchanging in second, no holding the clutch in while at lights etc etc - the bloody DMF is still going to fail on me.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 14:01
It isn't right really to have a part like that fail. I'm guessing they're making a lot of money out of this because I can't beleive this is an engineering impossibility. Other engine components undergo these stresses all the time. My other vehicle (Bristol VRT double decker) has a permanently semi-engaged clutch on the flywheel and she's got over 1 million km's on the clock Thumbs Up

Posted By: Studioman
Date Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 14:16
Originally posted by tdfiver tdfiver wrote:

If these businesses are anything like mine the main reason for still using VW's isn't actually reliability anymore, but percieved image and.... [don't laugh] residuals! On this basis alone the Transporter is still the van to have but in our opinion only in the lower order i.e. 104/102 mid spec...
That's our experience anyway after 350k miles with several different levels of spec/engines etc

Smile

Date Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 14:34
Those two reasons you mention won't be reasons for much longer once the reputation of the T5 is lost. I'd say they are burning their brand if these issues really are as bad as they seem.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 15:00

Those two reasons you mention won't be reasons for much longer once the reputation of the T5 is lost. I'd say they are burning their brand if these issues really are as bad as they seem.

I would agree with that, but it will take a long time; so strong is the VW brand and the image; all built I am afraid to say on previous models right back to the beetle and original campervan.

In recent years the T4 had the right blend of [VW-like] attributes and all the T4's we owned (all from new) were totally reliable and 'felt' like they'd last forever.

A turning point for me was when I grapsed the T5 door handles for the first time and realised they were plastic, unlike the T4's which were metal. Also the doors don't shut with the clasp-like action that the T4 did (when new). Whilst the T5 is a lovely seemless & smooth design it just doesn't offer the robustness of the ribbed T4 and just feels like it needs pampering more.

Mercedes went through a similar stage back in the '90's with the truely awful  E-Class (W210) and they seem to have overcome it finally....hopefully VW can do the same and more specifically the T6 can be an altogether different beast!

Smile

Date Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 12:58
To answer one of my most basic questions...
The T5 doesn't even show in this van reliability test. I'm sure the T4 was the winner in this class.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/story/FN50-Ford-takes-van-reliability-double-for-second-year/48649

Posted By: gason
Date Posted: 05 Oct 09 at 21:21
i had a t4 for ten years and it was the muts until the metal handles broke and the door would lock automatically with the keys in the ignition and it got to the stage that it was so slow it had to go , i have since had a new 07 t5 trendline which is the muts i have had a few warranty issues but nothing to hectic 

Posted By: Chauffeurdude
Date Posted: 08 Oct 09 at 19:08

Just to redress the balance somewhat my 230,000 mile Shuttle has just flown the M.O.T today with no advisoriesSmile 5 years old next weekSmile Yes they have their faults but I've owned worseLOL

-------------
Owns VW Transporter T5 Shuttle SE 130 TDi.

Posted By: Reverend
Date Posted: 08 Oct 09 at 23:36
Originally posted by Chauffeurdude Chauffeurdude wrote:

Just to redress the balance somewhat my 230,000 mile Shuttle has just flown the M.O.T today with no advisoriesSmile 5 years old next weekSmile Yes they have their faults but I've owned worseLOL

Wow! Pretty good stuff, well done. Mind you, with my luck some fecker would run into the back of me at the first lights on the way home..

Posted By: mick g
Date Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 08:53
I am on my second T5 174 and bugger all problems considering.. Its a terrific van reallySmile

Posted By: PETE.T28
Date Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 22:23
just picking up on this thread, i have 2 1.9 t5's one 85 the other is a 104. both have dmf and they are both 53 platers! both have had new dmfs at around 70k. the 104 has bin converted to solid flywheel a year ago,  only prob i get sometimes is fuel cut if i stall (stops with a bang), only happened a few times though!

pete

Posted By: roadmark69
Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 01:13
Who converted it to a solid one? and appx cost.Cheers

-------------
Mark Coates - Purveyor of mats for T3, T4 and T5 - mailto:megavanmats69@ntlworld.com - E-mail - 07917542685
http://www.megavanmats.com/ - http://www.megavanmats.com/

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 10:33
Originally posted by roadmark69 roadmark69 wrote:

Who converted it to a solid one? and appx cost.Cheers

Solid flywheels can be found http://www.exact-spec.com/a-float-flywheel.html - here

-------------

Posted By: PETE.T28
Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 22:46
mark it was a local garage to me in bournemouth, approx £800 inc new clutch. can dig out the invoice if you want!

pete

Date Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 20:49
Well i just bought myself a 2003 T4 2.5 tdi with 60k on the clock. I just couldn't bring myself into that world of pain and just maybe someone from VW will see this and see 1 lost sale and actually fix this issue. Doubt it but ya never know.

-------------
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.

Posted By: Fifty pence
Date Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 21:23
Originally posted by smidsy smidsy wrote:

i haven't met a traffic/vivaro owner yet who didn't wish they had spent a bit more and got a T5.

I couldn't wait to get rid of my 2004 174 after 3 years !.

I " gave it away " in a part ex deal for a Vivaro.

After 10 years of T4,s 3 years of the T5 ended my love of VW commercials.

Its true, there are good ones and bad ones.

In the 10 years of T4,s, ( 3 vans ), I never went back for a warranty repair once !!.
I lost count after 20 with the T5.

I'm sure someone will say, " why dont you f##k off Fifty  with your Vivaro ", but, fairs fair, it hasn't had a single trip back for warranty work in 2 and a half years. ( and yes, I am saving up for the " inevitable " clutch slave cylinder " replacement ! ).

I did want to " love " my T5, but it was just to mean to me !!!!.

Del.

-------------
2002 Discovery TD5
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CTDI
2004 T5 front bumper

Date Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 22:18
Yo yo yo fiddy, yo da man!!!

Welcome back, old chap.

I've read many of your postings over the years and I really feel bad for you as the only conclusion one can come to is that you bought a lemon.  You were one of the unfortunate guinea pigs and let's be honest, you got way more than your fair share of teething problems and proper, off-the-road failures.

Pleased to hear the Viv is going well, you deserve some reliability after your T5 luck.

I'm not surprised that your feelings towards VW are so negative.  Maybe I've just been lucky so far.  Touch wood.  

-------------

Posted By: Fifty pence
Date Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 23:19

Hi ECB, how are you mate ?.

Glad to hear your van is behaving.

The chap who bought his 174 a few months before mine, is still very pleased with it. ( all the usuall suspects apart ).

My plumber mate has still got his 130 Tip at 80k with just a gearbox and water pump.

My " concrete mate " has got the first 130 through our local dealer, ( mid 2003 ), and he works it really hard. He,d recomend the T5 to anyone.

Ricks on his second T5, after good times with a 54 130.

Another plumber mate had a 55 130, with only a head gasket gone. ( first 6 months ).

His plumber mate had a 55 130 at 75k with no problems. ( clonk only ).

Just putting some balance in.

Del.

-------------
2002 Discovery TD5
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CTDI
2004 T5 front bumper

Date Posted: 18 Oct 09 at 11:57
Originally posted by Fifty pence Fifty pence wrote:

Originally posted by smidsy smidsy wrote:

I couldn't wait to get rid of my 2004 174 after 3 years !.

I " gave it away " in a part ex deal for a Vivaro.

After 10 years of T4,s 3 years of the T5 ended my love of VW commercials.

Its true, there are good ones and bad ones.

In the 10 years of T4,s, ( 3 vans ), I never went back for a warranty repair once !!.
I lost count after 20 with the T5.

I'm sure someone will say, " why dont you f##k off Fifty  with your Vivaro ", but, fairs fair, it hasn't had a single trip back for warranty work in 2 and a half years. ( and yes, I am saving up for the " inevitable " clutch slave cylinder " replacement ! ).

I did want to " love " my T5, but it was just to mean to me !!!!.

Del.

Hi 50!

We're down to just the one T5 now and in our opinion it's the best one to have....a mid spec 104.
But [for us] the five cylinder engine was a nightmare and there's no way we'd have one for heavy business use again, over a four year period they gave four times as many problems as the four pot engine. Pampered ones may be fine but when driven by some of our lot(!) and belted across the country hauling 3 ton trailers the 174's just don't hold together when amazingly the smaller engine does!

What is good about all the T5's is the image and brand loyalty. Even 50 with all of his problems with VW still obviously wants to like the T5, it's just that like us he couldn't live with the unreliablity in 'the real world.' In many ways the T5 isn't a van anymore.....that's the problem

We've changed our way of working and reduced our mini van fleet and added some 4WD's which has been a massive success [for us], but whatever happens we will still always run a VW, albeit a lower spec four pot!

Smile

Date Posted: 23 Oct 09 at 18:02
hi fifty i can understand your thoughts on VW after all the shit you had ,talk about getting a jaffa, how the vivaro going anyway

Posted By: tarka
Date Posted: 01 Nov 09 at 02:02
Well, mines an 04 174 and has been bloody great, as was the 102 T4. Although the T4 was better build quality. The only problem i had was the slave cylinder going. Carrs quoted me £60 for the part, £850 fitted!!!!! Whos bloody bright idea was it to put it in with the fookin clutch?            TW A TS!! 
But seriously, i love my T5 and to be totally honest, whats the alternative? My neighbour has a transit. OK, cheap spares, but labour is labour wherever you go and as you can see from above, it aint cheap!! His transit has been in for repair EVERY month for 18 months now!!!!!!! Mine hasnt been in once! And the transit isnt even a pleasure to drive.
You can be lucky, you can be unlucky, thats life, but i would count on a VW for the better odds every time :)

-------------
2004 SWB 174bhp Raven Blue Kombi

Date Posted: 01 Nov 09 at 11:47
Originally posted by tarka tarka wrote:

Well, mines an 04 174 and has been bloody great, as was the 102 T4. Although the T4 was better build quality. The only problem i had was the slave cylinder going. Carrs quoted me £60 for the part, £850 fitted!!!!! Whos bloody bright idea was it to put it in with the fookin clutch?            TW A TS!! 
But seriously, i love my T5 and to be totally honest, whats the alternative? My neighbour has a transit. OK, cheap spares, but labour is labour wherever you go and as you can see from above, it aint cheap!! His transit has been in for repair EVERY month for 18 months now!!!!!!! Mine hasnt been in once! And the transit isnt even a pleasure to drive.
You can be lucky, you can be unlucky, thats life, but i would count on a VW for the better odds every time :)

Some good points there - like you say, what are the alternatives?

Every van/vehicle has their own set of faults (T5 included) but at least when they are going the T5 is a great van to drive

Transits in my locality seem prone to rust, spotted a fresh looking one the other days with several good sized blotches around it, not as bad as Vitos but poor none the less.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 09 at 22:08
you cannot beat the drive and the reliability of vw in my opinion

Posted By: al-n-ing
Date Posted: 06 Dec 09 at 11:38

Well I have read this thred through about 4 times!!

And each time I seem to come to the same conclusion; the best T5 is the 1.9/102 – comments please?

You see for the first time in my life, I have enough money in my hot sticky little hands to be able to buy a NEW motor (recently sold both T4 & T5 campers). I was going for the 2.5/130 but now I think I’ll stick with 1.9; best price I have found (in last 2 weeks) is £16000 inc. (unregistered) & that’s for 1.9/102 LWB with air con, electric pack, glassed tail gate & in blue, so should be good for another camper conversion (already have most of interior inc the blue worktop).

Any body know of one cheaper?  If so where? please tell me before I go spend too much

Date Posted: 06 Dec 09 at 16:40
thats a girls van. get a 174!  [ducks for cover]!

Posted By: al-n-ing
Date Posted: 06 Dec 09 at 19:46

the problem with the 174 is.... most of em break down, or could it be they get thrashed to death?

Nar I think its due to VW trying to get too much out of the engine; same reason I would not buy the new 2lt with twin turbo. Sorry, just don’t think it’s the right way to go. If you want more gee gee’s then quite simply put a bigger engine in…. I wonder if I could fit a Peugeot 2.8td in to a T5?

And before you ask; yes I do think Peugeot diesels are the best, just not keen on the rest of it (that’s why I have a Picasso 2lt Hdi & not the 1.6 producing more bhp).

Date Posted: 06 Dec 09 at 21:35
Originally posted by al-n-ing al-n-ing wrote:

the problem with the 174 is.... most of em break down

Yeah, that's an accurate, substantiated statement, you really don't want to get a 174, they're terrible, always breaking down, bloody awful vans......LOL

-------------

Posted By: Mervyn
Date Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 12:25

Hi,

I live in South Africa and drive a T5 TDi 4 motion.  The family has had huge amounts of fun in it - it has taken across the length and breadth of Southern Africa.  However at 95 000kms it developed a problem. Some grit and got into the oil and jammed one of the timing cogs (there are about 8 of these cogs all interlocking).  All I needed to repair it was a bush and VW refused to supply me one. The answer was that they do not fix, only replace the TDi engines.   A local workshop has managed to manufacture a part but it takes 10 longer than it would have had the part been available. I thought the policy of not providing vehicle spares very disappointing.

Posted By: spikesa
Date Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 09:40
yes the problems do still exist. my 06 128KW 4mo is back in its second home, Weiss VW in Amanzimtoti South Africa. Worst part its in there over the xmas weekend. Wrecked my plans to take my kids water skiing this weekend. No bus no ski. I use the van as a general commute, tow a caravan maybe twice a year, a boat 5 times a year and dont really load it heavily using it to transport my offroad bike or trials bike most weekends. The van has done 156000kms now so when the service manager suggested that maybe the clutch failure was due to abuse I wanted to deck him. Because of the numeraous threads about DMF and clutches etc I have taken a lot of care when driving this van, mostly short shifting, waiting for it to warm up properly but most importantly not stomping on the gas as the van has so much torque you would expect it to rip the clutch apart. To add insult to injury the dealer told me there were no spare parts in Durban so I ran around and delivered a new release bearing, LUK clutch kit and DMF before 9am the next morning but alas they did not have enough time to get the van back to me for the start of the weekend although they had a full day and a half in which to do the job (too much other work).
Since I bought the van it has had a new turbo, new aircon compressor, new water pump and oil cooler, new exhaust manifold and the leaking rear windows which are still unresolved. 
So thats it, between myself and the insurers the van has cost about R80000 to fix in 155kkms which I think is unacceptably high not to mention that it has let me down once to many times now. I cannot believe that VW can allow such poorly engineered components to sully the name of what is otherwise a great van, if you look at it, its the components that are failing not the actual VW engineered parts. But surely its VW's job to ensure that the components they use measure up to provide a reliable package. So now the big question, what to replace it with. In the light of aforementioned problems I expect that the new 2L will be even mores stressed than the 2,5 so I am thinking 3L Vito. Anyone know of a good MB forum where I can have a look at the issues surrounding the Vito.
Lastly I also own 6 x 1.9 TDI caddies and they also have clutch and turbo problems, funny enough when compared with our Nissan NP 200s which we also use they are less reliable and way more expensive to run overall.
I have not been happy with the response I have had from VW regarding the unreliability of the T5 and Caddy's so time to move on.         

-------------
T5 transporter 128kw

Date Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 09:48
Originally posted by spikesa spikesa wrote:

yes the problems do still exist. my 06 128KW 4mo is back in its second home, Weiss VW in Amanzimtoti South Africa. Worst part its in there over the xmas weekend. Wrecked my plans to take my kids water skiing this weekend. No bus no ski. I use the van as a general commute, tow a caravan maybe twice a year, a boat 5 times a year and dont really load it heavily using it to transport my offroad bike or trials bike most weekends. The van has done 156000kms now so when the service manager suggested that maybe the clutch failure was due to abuse I wanted to deck him. Because of the numeraous threads about DMF and clutches etc I have taken a lot of care when driving this van, mostly short shifting, waiting for it to warm up properly but most importantly not stomping on the gas as the van has so much torque you would expect it to rip the clutch apart. To add insult to injury the dealer told me there were no spare parts in Durban so I ran around and delivered a new release bearing, LUK clutch kit and DMF before 9am the next morning but alas they did not have enough time to get the van back to me for the start of the weekend although they had a full day and a half in which to do the job (too much other work).
Since I bought the van it has had a new turbo, new aircon compressor, new water pump and oil cooler, new exhaust manifold and the leaking rear windows which are still unresolved. 
So thats it, between myself and the insurers the van has cost about R80000 to fix in 155kkms which I think is unacceptably high not to mention that it has let me down once to many times now. I cannot believe that VW can allow such poorly engineered components to sully the name of what is otherwise a great van, if you look at it, its the components that are failing not the actual VW engineered parts. But surely its VW's job to ensure that the components they use measure up to provide a reliable package. So now the big question, what to replace it with. In the light of aforementioned problems I expect that the new 2L will be even mores stressed than the 2,5 so I am thinking 3L Vito. Anyone know of a good MB forum where I can have a look at the issues surrounding the Vito.
Lastly I also own 6 x 1.9 TDI caddies and they also have clutch and turbo problems, funny enough when compared with our Nissan NP 200s which we also use they are less reliable and way more expensive to run overall.
I have not been happy with the response I have had from VW regarding the unreliability of the T5 and Caddy's so time to move on.         
You SURE it's not your driving?

Date Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 12:30
we sold our remaining 5 pot T5's because they were in the garage way too often, and in real driving conditions with different drivers they were just too uneconomical. they were fun but they were just too much hassle for us as business users
on the other hand we have found our remaining mid-spec 104 T5 to be very reliable with no serious issues and fuel economy actually increasing now at approx 38mpg overall
as you all know i await the face-lift economy engines with great interest

Smile

Date Posted: 29 Dec 09 at 05:45
I am pretty sure its not my driving. As I have been around and under cars and motorbikes for many years I pretty much understand the mechanics of cars and clutches.
I recently had to get a friend to drive my van to Lesotho while I went the long way round on my adventure bike and he got a big lecture before he left about jack rabbit starts and shortshifting etc.

I will post a pic of the clutch plate later. The agent suggested not replacing the DMF as it was in perfect condition. I thought otherwise and replaced the whole clutch. The cost of the dmf and clutch and pressure plate kit was R 9000 from LUK but via another VW dealer, the release bearing was another R1200. If I had bought the parts from Weiss the cost would have been R 16500 and then labour another R 3800 so its quite a costly affair.

Looking at the clutch plate, there is virtually no wear on the friction material but the innner spring steel plates that connect the centre to the outer are ripped to pieces. The last car clutch I looked at had springs which cushion the inner to outer. I am going to send the pics to LUK anyway.

Drove the V6 Vito yesterday, goes very well, a little toomuch body roll in corners, no VAT back from the taxman though and not suitable for loading bikes really as we dont get the panel van version in SA but definitely worth a look. 
I will wait until the new T5 gets here in Feb,probably buy one but with a full maintenance plan      

-------------
T5 transporter 128kw

Date Posted: 14 Jan 10 at 17:14

OK so I got the T5 back from its second home with 2 dented sills under the front doors, due to them using the wrong hoist apparently, but they deny all responsibility, amazing as it has happened before. So I load up the van and hit the road from Durban to Cape Town, 1700kms, a 2 day affair. Get to Cape Town all is well except the power steering pump growl, within a day of arriving in Cape Town the brand new clutch starts slipping as the van goes over 2500rpm. I take the van into a commercial dealer where I have to throw a few toys because they only look at it the next day and only after VWSA get involved. Today I get a call, come in and have a look. The spigot shaft oil seal had leaked and was spewing oil onto the clutch. Add to this that the left inside CV boot had torn apart spewing grease all over the place. But now it appears that I have a mechanic who knows what he is doing. He has ordered all the parts and tells me that its not the PS pump but just the top front shock/strut rubbers that are worn, change them and the growl will go away. My usual dealer was about to change the PS pump?? Well once it is all back together I suppose we will have to fight about the bill. Brand new clutch in the dumpster, all because of a seal costing R15. By the way, I looked at the removed seal, cannot see any reason why it leaked, still looked new, no sign of damage, also checked that there was not excessive end float on the spigot shaft. Labour to remove the box/clutch is 6.2 hrs.

Just hope it gets me back to Durban on Saturday. 

Really worried about the reliability of the new T5.  2 turbos, 2 litre engine, more stressed, mechanics who know nothing about the van, dealers who try but fail, VW who dont give a shit, time to change, but to what? R 400K van, 157000kms add R80K for problems, expensive van!! 

-------------
T5 transporter 128kw

Posted By: triple
Date Posted: 26 Jan 10 at 21:06
My mate has got a 2008 174 with 20k miles, he's had it from new and it just had to have a new turbo and driveshaft fitted under warranty.
I would,nt say he drives like madman but he dos,nt pootle about either, its odd how some vans give problems and some are fine even though they are exactly the same. 

-------------

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b

Date Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 22:57
It seems a very common problem for late model T5 is a joint under/around the drivers seat area getting wet and corroding, this usually results in the central locking going haywire and other crazy electrical faults 

-------------

Posted By: spats
Date Posted: 05 Mar 10 at 12:32
i think as everyone drives differently and carries different loads you just cant say which is more likely to have issues.

ive seen a 100k 53 plate van with a shattered turbo, which blew into the head causing valve damage and piston slap. but when they started to take the engnie apart they found the bottom shells were blue from lack of oil too! but still had the orginal DMF!

then ive seen a similar aged 174 with 180k on the clock and its been reliable as you like, even still out pulls a new 180bit too!

the only vans that arent vw with anywhere near those miles just isnt worth looking at imoa, yet the transporters just keep going! shame about the DMF though, maybe switching to solids would be better in the long run!

-------------
If it moves and its not meant to use gaffer tape. If it doesnt move but it is supposed to, use WD40. mechanics 101!

Posted By: Pax
Date Posted: 18 Mar 10 at 17:41

i would like to add to all this by saying i had a 05 plate t5 t30 130 from new and had the famous knocking sound worked on twice ,,, since i have had another t30 130 on a 55 (06) year and after a month of having it i had a new bottom enging fitted (nice) drove it for 30k and no probs thereafter ,,,,but now i have a 174 sportline kombi ive just clocked 7k and i have noticed the knocking sound coming from the stearing area again ,,,nice will have to put it in soon i recon....but engine wise noprobs,,, i hope allthough i am a little heavy footed,,,,

-------------
59plate black 174 sportline kombi, remaped to 215bhp caravelle headlights and eyebrows,,, mean mutha fukka...widely known as lynford

Posted By: tarcwyn
Date Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 11:39

alrite?do you have a 1.9 tdi 85 bh t5? because im looking at one which has done 42,000 and i was just wondering if you had any problems with it?

Posted By: kurylie
Date Posted: 09 May 10 at 13:19
Be very careful when buying a T5 transporter as there are problems with gear box ,aircon and power steering, gearbox's will last only up to 180k then if you cant find someone to rebuild gearbox , will cost you 15k plus to get new one , still costs around 8k to rebuild , but once rebuilt you can repair cheaper next time , in australia they are rebuilding the 6 speed auto gear box at least 3 per week , but vw wont admit that there is a problem .aircon to repair will cost aprox 3.4k ,power steering i have still not repared , prob cost near 1k to fix , in last 5 months the vehicle has cost me $13,000 .00 australian dollars van has travelled 190k , so `really think twice before buying t5 transporter , i have tried to trade in and this vehiv=cle is only 2004 made , they have offered me $8000.00 australian , bought 2 years ago for 28,000.00 , just shows what they are worth .

-------------
kurylie

Posted By: archebald23
Date Posted: 27 May 10 at 03:37
pity cause i saw a t5 last weekend and im really eyeing on it. do these t5s have different versions? perhaps the latter versions have betters built. anyway, how was the http://www.thepartsbin.com/brands/luk.html - luk ?, never tried one.

Date Posted: 27 May 10 at 11:45
gear box's designed to travel only 180,000, mine died at 178,000, it has had new gearbox , new aircon ,new front bushes , new disc brakes front and rear, and now is getting new oil cooler , will cost aprox $20,000 in 5 months , so is nearly a new vehicle , I am selling it to get a van with seats in as we have 3 kids , so if any one is looking for a mechanically rebuilt 2004 t5 I have one for sale , have to get $22,000 for it . My gear box has been rebuilt and is better than an original one as can be rebuilt any time with  better berrings , and front axles have been serviced , vehicle will be ready next week, has done 189,000km , very economical  I have a 5 cylinder 2.5litre diesel turbo ,very powerful, with all the expensive work already done , perth wa, have advertised on carsales.com.au

-------------
kurylie

Date Posted: 27 May 10 at 11:54
sorry more on the gearbox  auto t5  6 speed gearbox , when gearbox dies all parts are available except for the main berrings , these are not available , so gear box has to be machined to fit different berrings , then very easy to get parts and rebuild if needed again later, I think that the main berring is designed to die so that you have to repair , vw will tell you that you can't rebuild , but dont beleive them it can and is working just as good as new ,  but when machined and better berring is put in , will last a lot longer , rebuild of gearbox cost me $7800.00 , better than vw's quote to replace for 15,000 + labour to fit , they are rebuilding the t5 auto gearbox's at a rate of aprox 3 per week , but vw sais there is no prob with gearbox , denial , if any one has these probs in wa can let you know who to see to get work done Smile

-------------
kurylie

Posted By: sparx
Date Posted: 21 Sep 10 at 17:14
Read this long and interesting thread.
I bought my 1.9 swb  53 plate as a long term last works vehicle before retirement.
I'm an electrician now aged 63 so not quite a boy racer.
It has now somehow made it to 74,000 miles having spent half its miserable life off the road.
It is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned in my 50 years of driving!!!
My local agents JCB Ashford Kent are crap, gave up on them after several failed attempt to cure fault which my local garages sorted each time.
It has been back on the road for 2 weeks since the apparently well known turbo pipe clip problem,
it's now back in garage with stripped drive shaft splines, which have also started to wear gearbox end splines also which if too bad will mean new box!
Every thing about the van is poor quality, door pulls come off, window winders fly off, mirrors ditto.
slider door needs constant attention.
Had new steering rack, both rear springs broke last year, van never been fully loaded.
The list goes on & on (like me  I realise).
So my first & last VW will be traded for anything else as soon as it's driveable before the next bit breaks

Date Posted: 21 Sep 10 at 21:48
i know a sparks who got a 3 year old t5 that was low milage and in mint condition it turned out to be a total nightmare I think he ended up spending over 6k to sort out all the issues eventually selling it  to a mate after it nearly caught fire going down the A2, well he made the decision to buy a new vito van and he reckons its the biggest heap of shit going as in his words its as if it was assembled by vauxhall ,last time I spoke to him he was going to buy a new t5

Posted By: mycarkeys
Date Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 17:42
F**k me what a depressing thread. have to say not been on for a while and have just bought a 2010 2.5 t30 174 on a 59 reg with 7k on the clock to replace my 2004 of the same which has been and still is peerless and i'm just upgrading as with 140000 on the clock I'm starting to worry it will let me down at some point although it is showing no sign thus far.

Having previously run a fleet of approx 30 vans of all types I would say that each time we swapped brand that approx 10 to 15 percent of them would be duffers (the friday afternooners they used to call them) this figure for the t5's was less, maybe 5 percent so I can sympathise with people who bought lemons and also subscribe that they will all by and large go on forums and whine about it (I would too) as opposed to people not bothering to trumpet how good theirs are.

For me all cars vans and bikes will have an amount of "rogue" vehicles in a run .... its unavoidable in pretty much all mass manufacturing especially motor vehicles although Toyota and Honda have higher than usual quality control not just on production but also in the parts so maybe thats where VW are falling down but not as far as my experience goes........ all good here 

-------------
2014 T30 T5 Transporter 2.0 140 Highline making work as a vehicle locksmith that bit more enjoyable

www.mycarkeys.co.uk

Posted By: sevy
Date Posted: 26 Sep 10 at 11:24
I just ordered a T5 GP wich is all new from drivers seat onwards , new engine running gear the lot Its a T5.1 I have to say we ran T5 from new at work and they were crap we ended up swapping for merc's , the new ones seem to have everything sorted but then again it willl be going near the end of the warranty !! VW warranty is very comprehensive so buy new and then get rid !!  I have to say the latest price hike is a stinger and VAT goes up end of the year , be quick , I ordered end of Aug and the vans not here til Nov maybe Dec !!!  Thats how busy the factory is .

Date Posted: 26 Sep 10 at 11:29
Originally posted by sevy sevy wrote:

I just ordered a T5 GP wich is all new from drivers seat onwards , new engine running gear the lot Its a T5.1 I have to say we ran T5 from new at work and they were crap we ended up swapping for merc's , the new ones seem to have everything sorted but then again it willl be going near the end of the warranty !! VW warranty is very comprehensive so buy new and then get rid !!  I have to say the latest price hike is a stinger and VAT goes up end of the year , be quick , I ordered end of Aug and the vans not here til Nov maybe Dec !!!  Thats how busy the factory is .

Not according to http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/new-t51-probs-again_topic58140.html - this guy they dont!

They havent been out long enough to convincingly say theyre sortedWink

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 10 at 15:50
yeah saw that , i would agree with the early T5 it was a bodge job but according to my source close to VW this one's alot better , as saiid on here before its alot to do with the driving . Anway 3 year warranty , its simples with VW finance if it goes wrong I stop paying and back goes the van

Posted By: rhysstix
Date Posted: 29 Sep 10 at 08:30
I have owned my 2.5TDI T5 van from new since 06. The only problem was when the water pump went at 75000miles. Luckly I found this site and managed to get my local dealer in Cardiff to change it warranty even though it was 5 months past. I was told by the dealer that the newer T5's come fitted with the modded water pump. I love the Van to bits and after driving different vans in work I think the T5 is one of the best vans on the market. I have read people get problems with the 1.9TDI.

The new facelift van looks great. Wish I could afford one.  

Posted By: mick g
Date Posted: 29 Sep 10 at 12:55
I'm on my second T5 and they have both been fantastic, I usually keep them for 4-5 years but this one I might keep for longer....... 

Posted By: Yomp
Date Posted: 12 Nov 10 at 23:02
Originally posted by mycarkeys mycarkeys wrote:

as opposed to people not bothering to trumpet how good theirs are.

I've owned my 07 sportline from new and its now 3 1/2 years young with 97,000miles on the clock.

Looking on here at the various, potentially expensive, problems with these vans I'm finding it difficult to put down in words how I feel about my van in case I tempt fate!Wink

-------------
1983 VW Golf GTI featured on Discoverys 5th Gear April 2014
1983 VW Golf GTI featured in Daily Telegraph Jan 2016
2007 VW T5 Sportline
2006 VW Passat 140 2.0 TDI Sport Estate

1990 Golf Syncro

Date Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 10:14
Originally posted by Yomp Yomp wrote:

Originally posted by mycarkeys mycarkeys wrote:

as opposed to people not bothering to trumpet how good theirs are.

I've owned my 07 sportline from new and its now 3 1/2 years young with 97,000miles on the clock.

Looking on here at the various, potentially expensive, problems with these vans I'm finding it difficult to put down in words how I feel about my van in case I tempt fate!Wink

your's will probably be ok now you're out of the danger zone! no most owner driver ones from new seem to fair better than the 'several previous keeper worked hard for a living' ones....

our's had to tow quite abit and that's what really did for them in the end!

Smile

-------------
VW T5 104 x1, Navara x2, Jeep GC 3.0CRD x1, BMW M3, Qashqai x1, ancient Sprinter x1

Date Posted: 17 Nov 10 at 22:52
Meeting today at MK VW centre ref problems with T5 radio , the senior tech's got an ear bashing from workshop managers from all VW Commercial !! still no answers as to the shit in the driver mirror that houses the aerial and booster kit !!!

Date Posted: 17 Nov 10 at 23:11
Originally posted by sevy sevy wrote:

Meeting today at MK VW centre ref problems with T5 radio , the senior tech's got an ear bashing from workshop managers from all VW Commercial !! still no answers as to the shit in the driver mirror that houses the aerial and booster kit !!!

Not much point in giving the UK senior tech an ear bashing for a problem he has inherited because some German designer got it totally wrong at the outset!

He cant make a racehorse out of a donkey

I`m still puzzled as to why VW ever decieded to do this, they have over engineered a solution for a problem that didnt exist!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 10 at 21:18
well touch wood my van is 3.5 years old with 16500 miles on the clock with no major issues so far

Posted By: gb1m
Date Posted: 16 Dec 10 at 21:13
Originally posted by rhysstix rhysstix wrote:

I have owned my 2.5TDI T5 van from new since 06. The only problem was when the water pump went at 75000miles. Luckly I found this site and managed to get my local dealer in Cardiff to change it warranty even though it was 5 months past. I was told by the dealer that the newer T5's come fitted with the modded water pump. I love the Van to bits and after driving different vans in work I think the T5 is one of the best vans on the market. I have read people get problems with the 1.9TDI.

The new facelift van looks great. Wish I could afford one.  

hhhhhmmmm , Mine is in at the dealers after I noticed the oil level was high, water pump apparently . Its out of warranty now by 5 months and the stealer told me that Vw  would not offer good will on this problem. The clonk has also come back as well but I suppose I'll have to live with that as there's probably no good will on that either .  VW = CRAP service.

oh and only done 24k 

-------------
T5 174 kombi lwb

Posted By: Albal
Date Posted: 17 Dec 10 at 06:39
What year is yours? The water pump was a recall item. That is enough ammo to have it changed under warranty. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 17 Dec 10 at 08:00
Originally posted by Albal Albal wrote:

What year is yours? The water pump was a recall item. That is enough ammo to have it changed under warranty. Thumbs Up

Are you sure? I thought it was only the mechanically identical (but posher) 2.5 Touareg that was recalled and the van owners were forgotten about?

-------------

Posted By: Albal
Date Posted: 17 Dec 10 at 11:34
When I bought my 06 174 at the start of this year I phoned the garage up and asked them if the water pump had been done on recall and they replied 'yes'. I may very well be wrong (wont be the first or last time!) but I am fairly sure that the water pump was a recall item...

Posted By: gregozedobe
Date Posted: 17 Dec 10 at 15:27
I also thought the early T5 2.5s didn't get a "general" recall (unlike the Toerag owners).  Some T5 owners were able to bend their dealers arms far enough back to get a goodwill contribution from VW, but most were left to pay it all themselves.  Maybe there was a small  batch of waterpumps that were even worser than the regular (incontinent) ones ?  They must have been REALLY, REALLY bad if VW were prepared to do a recall (sorry, "campaign") on them.

I'd love to know the Campaign Id if anyone has heard of it (I may need to know it myself someday).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net