Forum Description: Forum for T5 specific chat
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42434
Printed Date: 20 Apr 24 at 12:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pop Top Roof - Which one??
Posted By: T5-KTM
Subject: Pop Top Roof - Which one??
Date Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 16:41
After my first weekend in the van it is fairly apparent that the best thing for me to do is fit a lifting roof. We used a full width rock and roll for the weekend and it was great for sleeping, but just leaves too little space for everything else. I also carry my dirt bike in the van quite a bit so the bed will have to come out and I'll be down graded to sleeping on the floor on a roll matt!....Never gonna happen!
SO!
What's considered the best lifting/pop roof for a T5?
Don't care about costs, just want to know which works the best.........and which looks the best Embarrassed

Replies:
Posted By: chewbacca
Date Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 17:03
having one fitted next week by elite camper conversions, apparantly their own roof, but based on the reimo typeopening from front to back
they also do side opening ones.

like to hear if anyone else has had one of these, as bit nervous at the moment.

Posted By: Ex-car bloke
Date Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 17:39
Reimo. without question.

Do a search and you'll find my recent glowing review of the roof bed and in the modifications section my explanation of how to modify it for heavy adult use (as in kg not sex!LOL).

I paid a typical price which was £3500 inc VAt for roof plus bed plus colour matched paint.

You won't regret it, it is a great investment.  Like you I use my van for other stuff (eg work and carrying people) so it will never be a full time camper conversion for me.  

-------------
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van

Posted By: RolandRat
Date Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 18:23
I would definitely recommend a vamoose roof http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

I had one fitted a few weeks ago and they are excellent...

reimo have recently changed their prices and are now in excess of £4000 for roof bed and colour coding fitted, i called 7 different places

My vamoose roof cost £2600 for the roof bed, colour coding and they fitted it in a day, i arrived at 8:30am, went for a bike ride and it was done by 4:30pm!  Can't beat that!

Also the roof bed is designed for two adults so you don't need to do any mods, me and my other half sleep up there with no noticeable sag in the bed boards!

I think the best thing about them though is that they are a foam sandwich construction unlike the Reimos so you don't have to worry about insulating the roof of your van!  Also you can fit roof racks to them...

-------------
T32 Window Van 2.5tdi 130ps

Posted By: energysolutions
Date Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 18:33
Has anyone any pictures of these roofs in operation - particulary the interior?

-------------
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!

Date Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 20:46
Originally posted by RolandRat RolandRat wrote:

I would definitely recommend a vamoose roof http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

I had one fitted a few weeks ago and they are excellent...

reimo have recently changed their prices and are now in excess of £4000 for roof bed and colour coding fitted, i called 7 different places

My vamoose roof cost £2600 for the roof bed, colour coding and they fitted it in a day, i arrived at 8:30am, went for a bike ride and it was done by 4:30pm!  Can't beat that!

Hey, they look good!  Had I heard of them I'd have considered them.  British too!  And Jerba needed my van for a whole week.  And I'd have saved over £1000......Hmmmmm.....

I'll be interested to hear how you get on long term.  I guess that's partly what you pay for with Reimo, decades of reliable track record.

Out of interest how wide is the bed?

-------------

Posted By: RolandRat
Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 08:37
Yes i forgot to mention British made! 

The bed is 105cm wide and over 7ft long, it also has an integrated light in the poptop...

I'll put some pictures up when i get a chance to take some...

-------------
T32 Window Van 2.5tdi 130ps

Posted By: borg
Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 08:49
I have a Reimo on mine with a bed and it's great. There is full head height to stand up and it has a Window at the front which is great for letting in light but still keep the van private with the curtains on the side shut.

In hot weather there are two windows with fly curtains either side which keep the heat down by letting any breeze blow through the van.

I also have the bed up top as well and not had any issues with weight with adults up the top.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 09:18
Very snazzy wheels you have there!......the van ain't bad either! LOL

I had a radio flyer when I was a tyke, my parents brought it back from the states with me. After being at the Big Chill festival last weekend its now on my 'Want' list Smile

Posted By: DanB
Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 14:52
Hi, I too have been looking for a pop-top for my t5. I've enquired at loads of places and they come in at around 4-4.5k for the Reimo depending on where you get it done. The high price is due to them being imported from germany and the pound being so weak at ther moment. I would recommend a Reimo as they are tried and tested. . . but then i saw a Vamoose roof and investigated. . .their roofs are rock solid, british made and even with canoes on the roof rack the roof can still be popped up! This sold it for me and i'm having one fitted in 3weeks ready for vanfest!

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:20
Vamoose do look to be very good value for money.....shame they aren't as pretty as the Reimo. Any other contenders? 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:26
 I had my Reimo Roof fitted by MAD Workshop in Bristol last summer for around £2,000 for the Roof, £300 for the bed, and £600 for the fitting.

The current exchange rate for Pounds to Euro's is presently exactly the same as this time last summer so it should not be anymore expensive.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:31
Originally posted by chewbacca chewbacca wrote:

having one fitted next week by elite camper conversions, apparantly their own roof, but based on the reimo typeopening from front to back

How much for the whole job if you don't mind me asking? They look nice.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:32
Originally posted by borg borg wrote:

I had my Reimo Roof fitted by MAD Workshop in Bristol last summer for around £2,000 for the Roof, £300 for the bed, and £600 for the fitting.

The current exchange rate for Pounds to Euro's is presently exactly the same as this time last summer so it should not be anymore expensive.

How long did it take them to fit it?

Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:42
I dropped the van off to them on the Monday and picked it up 3 days later. They did also fit a Reimo Multi Rail and a sliding window at the same time.

I also just looked on eBay and there are still companies offering Remio Roofs for the T5 for £3,000 including fitting.

Give them a call http://www.mad-workshop.com the guy who runs it Arthur is a really good and knows his stuff when it comes to Remio Roofs as they fit about 10 a month.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:57
Originally posted by T5-KTM T5-KTM wrote:

Originally posted by chewbacca chewbacca wrote:

How much for the whole job if you don't mind me asking? They look nice.

Ignore this, I just phoned them.

For anyone who's interested. Roof fitted with a bed system - £1950 +vat, if you want it colour coded an extra £185+vat
All in - £2135 or £2454 with the vat

Shame they are the other end of the country!

Reimo @ MAD seems the best option for me, many thanks for the replies.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 17:24

If only that were true......Just called MAD for prices - £4041 fitted and colour coded. 3-4 week wait for the roofs. If you want it colour coded he needs the van for a week with no courtesy vehicle provided!

Date Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 10:07
All I can say is that I am glad I got my Reimo roof when I did if that is the prices they are charging for them now.

Reimo is certainly very good quality and I am glad I got mine, but with prices at double what they were last summer it may not be worth the extra anymore.

I don't know how Reimo can justify a 100% increase in price even when the pound to euro exchange rate was at it's worst it was only 10% difference, so no way you can justify the 100% price increase.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 10:10
One more thing if you do go for the Reimo Roof make sure they put loads of bonding paste on the roof strengtheners as well as riveting it in place.

Without the extra bonding the roof squeaks really badly when driving which is quite common if they are not fitted with the extra bonding. MAD did a really good job on my roof and it makes no noise at all.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 10:43

All I can say is that I am glad I got my Reimo roof when I did if that is the prices they are charging for them now.

Reimo is certainly very good quality and I am glad I got mine, but with prices at double what they were last summer it may not be worth the extra anymore.

I don't know how Reimo can justify a 100% increase in price even when the pound to euro exchange rate was at it's worst it was only 10% difference, so no way you can justify the 100% price increase.

Confused ..... more like a 40% increase. But you're right, the price hike does seem over the top.
All the fitters give you the same sob story that the exchange rates blah blah.... You try and tell them that they're almost the same as this time last year........havin' none of it!

Posted By: BlackBeltBlakey
Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 11:24
Sorry for the thread-romancy, but can any Vamoose roof bed owners post their experiences?

I'm close to forking out £4000 for a Reimo roof bed, but the same work (roof, bed, colour coded paint and VAT) comes in at a midge under £3000 for a Vamoose.  So we're talking a whopping great big £grand cheaper than Reimo.

Anyone who owns one got any comments on the quality and general goodness of the Vamoose?

Thanks all
Blakey

-------------
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My http://blakeysvan.blogspot.com/ - Van Blog .

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 11:57

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:00
We had a Vamoose Pop-top fitted last summer. It good british quality and the fitting service is superb! Whilst the van was up at Vamoose they insulated and carpeted the insides and all the workmanship is top class. I would highly recomend their roofs to anyone, especially as they are so slim when not popped.

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:14

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:17
Also at Vamoose they can fit roof bars to the pop-tops. These are awesome as it means you can put your canoes up on the roof and still pop the roof with the canoes on!!

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:23
I took the van up on a monday morning from bristol, was then given a lift to the train station. Then when the van was ready i was picked up from the train station. Top quality service! They fitted the pop-top roof, colour coded it, added roof bars, j-rail for awning, new flooring, swivel seats, table bases, lights and carpeted/insulated the interior. Everything is quality and has that proffesional finish you want for your bus.

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:24
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the response. Certainly seems like a good option, even if I have to go most of the length of the country to Sheffield as I'm in Sussex.

Can you still happily get under standard height restriction barriers with the roof added (and down, obviously!!!!)?

What about if you have roof rack fitted?  Does it then take you over that critical height?

Could you post a picture of the internal look of the roof bed please?

Gorgeous looking van there mate!
Blakey

-------------
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My http://blakeysvan.blogspot.com/ - Van Blog .

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:25

I am one very happy customer! Its well worth the journey North!

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Posted By: jmarsh1976
Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:40
i have really had a vamoose roof fitted am really please with it

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:43
i'll try and type in English this time, i have recently had a vamoose roof fitted and am really pleased with it, the people there were very helpful. one really good thing is that the bed is a set of boards meaning you can have good storage space and you can trim the boards to match the headlining if you wish.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:46
Any internal pics anyone?   Specifically, how much space do you get to sleep in?  It seems the rear end is not raised, unlike the Reimo roof so your feet would be squished in the end?

I understand you can cover the space down into the van to extend the sleeping area, but my wife never sleeps through the night and will have to get up for a pee, so this isn't a good option for us really.

Research, research, research!

Blakey

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:05
hope this helps a bit

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:14
Blimey!  Doesn't look like a neat job.  ;-)

As far as I can see that's the roof with no bed?  But it does seem that there is a reasonable amount of space at the foot of the bed from that picture.   Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:43
:)

the bed is made from a set of boards, similar to an old leisuredrive type roof. they trim them in carpet i think or you can trim them yourself. Because of the low profile when lowered, you cant get much foam above for a mattress though. i will have removable foam 'cushions' which i will take if someone is sleeping up there but mainly its for headroom/storage so they will probly stay a home a fair bit!

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:47
Hmm, so Dan tells me that his kids sleep up there as there is not much space for 2 adults and you're saying there isn't space for a matress up there.  Sounds like actually the Vamoose roof bed is not so good as a bed....

Perhaps the Reimo is the one to do after all?

So much money to be spent to make a mistake...

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 14:16
Blakey,

I research things to death too - you can never do too much, I say!!

I'm 5'8" (1.73m) and the Reimo bed is just comfortably long enough for me.  I guess 5'10" would be cosy and 6' and over a bit too snug...

We tend to need nocturnal loo visits too so the idea of the closable hatch is a waste of time for us, as you'd wake the other person when you get out of bed.

By the laws of physics, assuming that the Reimo and Vamoose beds use the same size (ie length) of aperture in the roof, the Reimo must give you more effective bed length because of the cantilever hinges at the rear.  The Vamoose, it would appear, uses the closable hatch as a way of making up for the bed length that is lost through the hinge type.

The Reimo, for me, is classic in packaging design.  The mattress is built-in, fits the roof when closed with zero spare space and offers a really quite comfy sleeping surface, and takes up the absolute minimum of roof space.  There is no need to store the bed sections separately or store a sleeping surface separately.  The bed is always ready to go. 

The amount of spare space at the front of the bed, in which to climb down, is ample but could not really be reduced, for adults.  Putting the same length of mattress as a Reimo bed in the Vamoose would surely leave you with less entry/exit space.

I think if you're seriously wanting to use the bed for adults, the Reimo would seem to be the better option.  The Vamoose looks like very good value, but I would want to actually see one with a bed in it and climb up and lie in it before buying one.

If you're less than 5'8" though, it may be an option?          

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 14:39
blakey,

sorry for the confusion, the mattress issue is for when the roof is down, it has a very slim profile and its a height issue.

i'm 6'8" and 17stone so to be fair i won't be sleeping up there anyway regardless of the roof!

i agree with ECB the hatch is a pain in the night if there is 2 people up there but i get more flexibility for storage and headroom so it works for me.

I have had a T3 for a while now with a very similar roof and i guess its just what im used to.

good luck with your choice!

Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 15:00
Thanks for the feedback guys - really appreciated.

I'm 5'9" and 12st and the wife is smaller.  So we're by no means giants.   But it appears the Reimo roof is going to be the one to choose.  And there is an installer only 1 hour's drive from me which is a lot simpler than Sheffield!

I do love the hatch idea, totally closing the roof off from down below and making a little den, but not if it's required in order to sleep.

Cheers
Blakey

-------------

Posted By: blazin-saddles
Date Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 17:21
I chose the reimo for exactly the reason mentioned above even though it's a lot dearer. 

I'm 6'2 and I didn't like the idea of the hatch to sleep on top of as everytime I got up in the middle of the night for a pee I'd have to destroy the bed to get out, also if the Mrs went to bed earlier than me I couldn't get in.

Also, I have a LWB van and didn't like the way they used the same length roof for both vans as for me it spoiled the asthetics of the van.

I haven't used the Reimo bed in ours though, instead I'm going to make my own sectional version as it'll be chaeper than way and I can use a padded headling that way to make it look good inside the van with the bed down, it'll also allow me to store bags etc in the roof during the day.

Posted By: spun
Date Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 23:07
I don't have one (yet), but these looks much more practical to me, and if you go DIY, cheaper! :-)

http://www.vwcampervanroofs.co.uk/type-4-and-5.htm - http://www.vwcampervanroofs.co.uk/type-4-and-5.htm

Decisions decisions! :-)

-------------
2002 LHD Tdi Syncro

Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 10:03
These do have masses of room, but they look a bit ugly(in my opinion) a bit like the old viking roofs!!

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 10:29
I'm getting my Reimo fitted in 2 weeks time, just ready for the Easter weekend when we're taking the van camping.  If all goes well the plan is to tour down to Rome in September, with lots of stops along the way.  Kewl!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 11:19
Well done matey! Pop-tops are definatly the way forward. Just out of interest how much are they charging you?

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 12:50
Originally posted by DanB DanB wrote:

Well done matey! Pop-tops are definatly the way forward. Just out of interest how much are they charging you?

<cough> Too much.

A little less than £5k all in but for that I'm getting the roof (with built in bed, colour coded), a mains hook up for my Leisure Battery, new LED internal lighting and a complete interior carpet job as well.    So I'm happy with that.

Once that's all done I only need to add curtains and she's ready to camp in!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 13:07
We went for Maxine at http://www.maddubbers.co.uk/ - http://www.maddubbers.co.uk/   we met at a show last year and her poducts looked the busines. She made us 4 normal cusions, 2 rolls and 2 side curtains fior £80. Bargain!! It totally transforms the look of the bus

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 14:38
Nice one.  How easy to fit and use are they?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 17:45
BBB, well done mate, you will NOT regret it, it opens up a whole world of space for your touring.  £5k sounds like a decent price for what you got.  Happy holidays!!

-------------

Posted By: a11y
Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 10:57
Anyone using an SCA elevating roof on a T5?

I had a chance to compare one of them directly with a Reimo roof recently (over at Jerba funnily enough Ex-car bloke) and the quality seemed even better. The design is neater when closed, particularly at the front, and it seems manufactured to the same if not better standard. Similar price to the Reimo.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 13:46
Originally posted by a11y a11y wrote:

Anyone using an SCA elevating roof on a T5?

I had a chance to compare one of them directly with a Reimo roof recently (over at Jerba funnily enough Ex-car bloke) and the quality seemed even better. The design is neater when closed, particularly at the front, and it seems manufactured to the same if not better standard. Similar price to the Reimo.

And slightly better headroom too, as I recall.

Simon at Jerba said the quality of either was recommended by him, and that he originally got the SCA type in because they offered him  the option of hinging at front or rear (unlike Reimo which are rear hinge only).

To tell you the truth I can't remember why I went for Reimo in  the end rather than SCA, I vagually recall it was just down to availabilty at the time but I certainly agree with you that the quality of SCA looked excellent if not better, as you say.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 15:11
Thanks. Yep, Simon at Jerba still offers both the Reimo and the SCA, but seems to favour the SCA (on LWB vans at least) so that's what we're going with - rear-hinged. Didn't know about the difference in headroom but that's nice to know being 6'1.

(BTW, that signature pic is stunning - that's my definition of camping)

Date Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 15:53
Originally posted by a11y a11y wrote:

(BTW, that signature pic is stunning - that's my definition of camping)

Ally, it's on the Isle of Harris, Uig Sands - you must visit when you get your new roof! 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 09:15
Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

I certainly agree with you that the quality of SCA looked excellent if not better, as you say.

Now you tell me!  Cry

I think I did look at SCA when doing my research and there was a good reason why I decided not to go with it.  It might be due to distance - are there any SCA fitters in the south of England?   If they only are available up in Scotland that would be a good reason not to use them...

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 09:30
Ha, makes a change from us up north having few choices when it comes to conversions...

I guessed it was the north west coast or the islands. We camped on a beach on Harris too but don't think it was Uig Sands. Looking forward to more comfort in the van (at the expense of less fun driving the roads compared to my old car Embarrassed).

Date Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 11:44
Originally posted by BlackBeltBlakey BlackBeltBlakey wrote:

Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

I certainly agree with you that the quality of SCA looked excellent if not better, as you say.

Now you tell me!  Cry

I think I did look at SCA when doing my research and there was a good reason why I decided not to go with it.  It might be due to distance - are there any SCA fitters in the south of England?   If they only are available up in Scotland that would be a good reason not to use them...
We were chatting to the guys from Torbay conversions(in Torquay) and they said they can do SCA roof, same price as reimo, but they can take some longer to be delivered. Also they provide a courtesy car when they convert yours!

http://www.camperconversions.com/convert-your-van/roof-conversions/ - http://www.camperconversions.com/convert-your-van/roof-conversions/

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Date Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 12:45
Originally posted by BlackBeltBlakey BlackBeltBlakey wrote:

Now you tell me!  Cry

Don't worry mate, there was really nothing in it and to be honest I felt more comfortable with Reimo simply on the basis that I was familiar with the track record of the brand.  I've certainly had no cause for complaint since the roof went in. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 14:49
I just remembered something a came across a few weeks ago when I was researching roofs: a bloke who's Reimo roof failed a bit when carrying kayaks on roofbars on a roof. Sounds like an isolated incident, but it meant I wasn't too unhappy when a SCA roof was suggested to me...

http://simon-willis.blogspot.com/2009/11/vw-t5-campervan-and-sea-kayaking-pt1.html

http://simon-willis.blogspot.com/2009/11/vw-t5-campervan-and-sea-kayaking-pt2.html

Posted By: marksabs
Date Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 09:33
I noticed from their blog that the new roof had a plastic wind deflector. is that a new roof design or only for LWB?

Date Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 09:42
Originally posted by marksabs marksabs wrote:

I noticed from their blog that the new roof had a plastic wind deflector. is that a new roof design or only for LWB?

Only going on what Simon from Jerba told me, but apparently it's a revised design. The Reimo comes with the plastic wind deflector which is fixed to the front of the roof above the windscreen - although it's a bit of a PITA to fit according to him, not the easiest to sit it perfectly in place.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 10:16
That wind deflector on the Reimo roofs is only for the LWB version.  The SWB version doesn't have it.

Cheers
BBB (who is amazed he is actually able to post something vaguely helpful rather than a question for a change!!!)

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 12:37
I've got a SWB Reimo and it has the wind deflector on the front. Without it the noise is so loud as soon as you get above 30MPH that you can't here yourself think. With it you can do over 100MPH and not here a thing from the roof. Although I have never done over 100MPH in mine, honest Wink

Date Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 17:01
That's curious Borg.  I did some research about this and as far as I'm able to determine, and backed up by the official Reimo suppliers CMC in Kent, the SWB doesn't have the wind deflector but the LWB does.  

I'm wondering if your fitter (who was MAD if I recall correctly?) added a LWB wind deflector as an extra touch?

Cheers
Blakey

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 20:14
I think you and Borg may be talking at crossed purposes - BBB I think you mean the "pod" moulding that's at the front of the LWB roof and Borg is referring to the low profile rubber deflector, which would make you both right! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 09:36
Yup, I was talking about the pod.   What is this rubber deflector of which you speak?  Do you have one on your roof ECB?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 09:52
Yes, I do, it's a rubber strip that "stands up" about 20mm.  Fairly crude (if very neat) bonded-on strip that is very effective it seems.  No wind noise whatsoever, nor water ingress in torrential rain. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 10:07
I wonder if it is standard fit with the SWB roof.  Hope so!    I'll let you all know in a couple of weeks when I get mine fitted.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 16:59
Yes, it is, mate - part of the installer's roof kit.  Sleepless nights ahead - exciting times!

I had a look at your blog, very good, nice resource for ideas and bedtime reading for vanoraks like me...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 19:12
Haha, i lost sleep in anticipation of getting a pop-top! I think it was the anxiety of loosing thousands of hard earned pounds to pay someone else to cut hole in the roof of my much loved bus!

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Posted By: boxelder
Date Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 22:50
We're having a vamoose fitted in a couple of weeks - they've got a one piece elevating deluxe bed option for + £100. If anybody would like pics, mail me andytrousers@hotmail.com

Posted By: BANANABUS
Date Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 23:57
Originally posted by boxelder boxelder wrote:

We're having a vamoose fitted in a couple of weeks - they've got a one piece elevating deluxe bed option for + £100. If anybody would like pics, mail me andytrousers@hotmail.com

Ive seen these  but  was concerned that the bed area wouldnt be long enough due to the way the roof hinges, cause if you sleep on yer back  yer feet will  end up some way  distance from the back of the van . Confused

how longs the bed  measured from enough room for your feet( at the back of the van) - to the start of the escape hatch?

-------------
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

Date Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 13:17
Hi mate, please mail me pic of the bed its mailto:daniel.button@kids.org.uk - daniel.button@kids.org.uk

-------------
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug

Posted By: tt07
Date Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 20:26
I have an SCA roof on a LWB fitted at Jerba, it's got the mechancial locking mechanism so no straps and a bed in the roof, it certainly gives plenty of headroom and is just under 2m high.

Posted By: kendall
Date Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 10:27
has anyone had experience of the even cheaper roof from a guy that advertised on T5 fourm, cant rember his name, but it looks identical to the vamoose but is fitted for £1700

Posted By: NZCol
Date Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 22:36
On the topic off roofs I've got a bit of a question those with pop-roofs may be able to answer.
Here in NZ we're somewhat limited on what VW vans we can get, a California for example is almost impossible as there are so few and a new one would mean it would be a choice between the house - and the van !
But i can get hold of ex-rental Kea campers - they convert them themselves based on the 2.5 LWB platform. However the upsatirs bed looks quite wee and this is primarily the reason for buying one. Ideally we would move the downstairs seat or removed completely for bike storage (I have alot of bikes and would use the van for training races - not keen on leaving them on a towbar rack for security reasons at 10k per bike !). The sort of van is the type listed here (sorry can't link photos directly) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=284538988
The roof conversion looks like a few of the ones mentioned in this thread but I am worried we won;t get two adults in there. I mean, we'll definitley struggle to do the 'wheelbarrow' up there like but ....

Posted By: tt07
Date Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 06:58
Nzcol - we've comunicated via STW but the wife and I sleep in the roof and have done a fair few times now and it's very comfortable. I will try and take a picture at the weekend.

It will depend on your and the Mrs's build as the beds in the roof have a weight limit I think the SCA is around 150 - 160kg combined, we went on a little weight reduction as we were close combined at the beginning..........

Posted By: steve_9753
Date Posted: 30 Apr 10 at 16:10
has anyone got a pop top roof and a spoiler..i have a spoiler and want to get a pop top roof but concerened it might not look to great with the spoiler?
and can the spoiler be taken off without leaving marks/ damage?

-------------
2006 white swb T5 t30 130 remapped 203bhp surfing,skiing,shagging wagon

Date Posted: 30 Apr 10 at 16:19
I have a Reimo SWB roof and a rear spoiler.  Pictures of the look it creates on this post:
http://blakeysvan.blogspot.com/2010/04/reimo-roof.html - http://blakeysvan.blogspot.com/2010/04/reimo-roof.html
Click on the picture towards the bottom of the spoiler for a bigger resolution.

I've never tried to take a spoiler off so not sure about that part of your question.

Cheers
Blakey

-------------

Posted By: thejimreaper
Date Posted: 17 May 10 at 16:52
I have an SCA roof on mine.  Really happy with it.  Looks really tidy when closed and is so easy to use.  I actually slept in it for the first time last Saturday!

-------------
So many mods, so little cash!

Posted By: The Jolly Camper
Date Posted: 01 Nov 16 at 12:31
I happen to have heard of a relativly new company called RAP pop tops, their a reasonably priced high quality product who have a number of fitting agents around the uk. im certainly impressed from what ive seen so far. Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net