Print Page | Close Window

New Project, 1Z TDI install.

Printed From: The Brick-yard
Category: T3 Section
Forum Name: T3 Engine Upgrades
Forum Description: Forum for tuned or alternative engines.
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34781
Printed Date: 24 Apr 24 at 02:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Project, 1Z TDI install.
Posted By: VW Nerd
Subject: New Project, 1Z TDI install.
Date Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 22:27
Those of you who know me are aware that I am always working on some kind of project or two in the garage. Including building front and rear disc brake kits, speed sensitive electric power steering alternative engine installs and now I've decided to do a long over due 1Z TDI  conversion into a T3 panel van.
The plan is to use a ren ault UN1 gearbox from a ren ault alpine to keep the cost down an hopefully give a bit more reliability than the std vw transporter transaxle.

So far I have a 2.1 petrol van, minus its engine and gearbox.

I bought a running golf mk3 with the plan to remove the engine and all related wiring needed to fit into the van.

I now have a UN1 gearbox. 
I plan to remove the std bell housing and fit one from a T3 diesel along with the diesel input shaft.

Some pictures of the work so far.

Since these photos were taken I stripped the wiring loom down to the bare essentials to run the engine, removing all the stuff to do with lighting, turn signals, cooling heating fans, windscreen wipers and so on.
There was not much left of the std loom once I had finished.

-------------
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Replies:
Posted By: pearce
Date Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 22:50
That's what i like to see a man hard at work.don't stop now.Smile
Cheers Gary

-------------
I try to keep smiling even when asleep.

Posted By: monsho
Date Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 22:51
cool, looking forward to seeing this fella

Posted By: Full Throttle
Date Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 23:42
Brings back memories. Thumbs Up

Have fun.Smile

Looking forward to the gearbox, nice to see someone trying something new.
No use to me now though as i have a syncro, wish someone would come up with a syncro solution for the gearbox's. LOL

Posted By: HOT 1200
Date Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 16:51
Hi Tim, Are you sure its a 1Z engine in the MK3 golf?

My TDI came from a mk3 golf, its an AHU code........???

GaV

-------------
Bigger is not always better!

Date Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 19:49
Hi hot 1200, As this is my first of what I hope will be many TDI conversions, I thought it best to go with the 1Z to keep things simple, although I will be looking to fit an AFN at some point in the future, to see what extra wiring is involved.
I think that the AHU is similar to the 1Z @90 bhp.

Back to the project
After an hour or so with a stanley knife and some careful marking of the cable ends with masking tape and a pen, I made some sense of what went where, what was needed and what was fit for the bin.
This is what you get!

A picture of what you don't need from your donor cars loom.   Hmm!!!

This is the bits you do need, I was surprised at how little is left after all the non engine stuff was removed

This is the 1Z up close and personal

And this is the van that will become project TDI

This van was originally powered by a 2.1 petrol flat 4

-------------
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: Cliffbase
Date Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 20:19
Interested in this, i'm about to do the same conversion!

Expect my call Buddy!!

-------------
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.

Posted By: Cliffbase
Date Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 08:26
How you getting on Tim? started on mine now...

-------------
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 18:14
Due to other work commitments my own project has been put on hold for a few weeks, although I am still giving time to the planning of the install!
I will be posting any news as it breaks.
Thanks for asking about my project, I hope all goes well with yours.
What are your gearbox/ratio plans?

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 19:26
I finally got back into the garage for a few hours over the weekend and made a little more progress with the tdi project.
Time was spent mocking up the adaptor for the vw diesel bell housing to ren-ault gear box.

Here are hardboard templates for the vw and ren-alt bell housings, these will be used to set up the alignment of the ren-alt gearbox to the vw bell housing.

I had hoped to keep this as thin as possible to reduce the overall length of the engine and gear box,

but due to the length of the vw input shaft, being about an inch longer than the ren ault shaft I was left with no choice other than to make a thicker adaptor.

The adaptor was made from wood to keep the project moving on, while I wait for the machine shop to make one for me in metal.

All is working out quite well at the moment.

A little bit of time was spent looking at the engine to see what parts need to be removed to make way for the standard T3 parts.

The cooling hoses on the block need to be changed because they foul with the engine mount.

Also the oil cooler needs to be turned as the pipes need to face away from the engine block and not toward the water pump as it does on the TDI.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: jamie masters
Date Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 00:18
HI! new to this game. got a T3 td jx and a 1995 tdi golf and thinking of doing the same. can you usethe jx pump to make it mtdi?? The electrics is putting me of. can you shed some more light. many thanks j. good luck.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 08:47
there's loads of stuff up here which talks about tdi conversions etc, have a search around.  putting a JX pump onto a tdi isn't going to give you much performance even if it did manage to start, it does't put anywhere near the amount of fuel pressure required.  The electrics aren't too bad if you have everything there.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 11:31
I have all the mks golf here. so could do wiyh a list of stuff i can use and a list of stuff from the old jx to use. many thanks j.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 17:09
seriously, do a search fella...

Date Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 23:30
thanks. not good with computer but thanks for the help.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 09 at 19:03
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/mods/aaz.htm
This will give you a whole lot of info regarding fitting later golf engine into your bus. The set up between AAZ 1.9 td is very similar to the 1z tdi.
I hope this helps answer a few of your questions.
As mentioned the jx pump on 1z will not give correct fuelling for tdi and my guess is you will hole a piston due to over heating.
Tim.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: Mannlicher
Date Posted: 13 Apr 09 at 19:50
My guess is if he cant get around the imobilizer wired into the original golf circuit he will be taking it all out again like i didDisapprove

I put a spanking new engine in which i have since sold got all the wiring out of a golf complete inc the accelorator potentiometer the matching ignition key and ring got it to fire up ok then the imobiliser clicked in from the door switch and shut down the ecu could not get anyone to sort it out so eventually ripped the whole ferking lot out as i had enough and stuck an aaz in it with a mechanical pump. if he gets it going without assistance or a special modified ecu to bypass the imobiliser i will platt shit

Date Posted: 25 Apr 09 at 23:45
hows The van comming along? Ive the old jx engine out and have change over all the parts and have got the tdi in the van. Got all the loom out of the golf and will be  shortly starting to wire it up. fingers cross! cheers j.

Date Posted: 23 Jul 09 at 13:51
As usual work commitments do get in the way of progress, but I have been trying to keep the project moving on.
I look forward to seeing the platting of shit, not seen that done before.
Back to the project.
A local machine shop have made me up the spacers that are needed to allow the std T3 drive shafts to reach the gear box drive flanges. The UN1 box is narrower between the flanges. I will be using new replacement gear box flanges that are made for fitting the UN1 into GT40 kit cars.
Also I dropped off the diesel T3 and UN1 bell housings off to the machine shop to allow them to plot the positions off all of the fixing holes in relation to the input shaft. I will use this info to get the alloy adaptor plate made up. This will allow the Diesel T3 bell housing to fit to the UN1 gearbox, leaving the input shaft in the correct position.
I hope to get this part made up in the next few weeks and then get into the fitting of engine and box into the van.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: BRICKIE-PETE
Date Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 11:23

Hi bud, conversion looks good! I follow with much interest!

Question, is the UN1 gearbox from the french filth sited the same way as the vw box?

I've heard you can turn these box's to make them drive the other way!!!!???

More of a query than anything!!

I'm getting longer final drive box for my TD van coz it rev's its tits off!LOLLOL

-------------
You can sleep in your van but you can't go to the tip your house???????????????

Date Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 11:25
I've just typed in R e n a u l t and its come up french filthErmm

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 11:44
The Ren ault thing is caused by the Swear filter.
The UN1 can be used for front engine or rear engine just by swapping the diff over from one side to the other. The input shaft comes out of the middle of the box in relation to the drive shaft flanges unlike the T3 box which has an off set input shaft.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 12:34
Ah coolio! Your a proper mind of info! Cheers buddy! Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 12:57
No Just a vw nerd!

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 25 Jul 09 at 11:47
Nowt wrong there bud!!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 09 at 14:08
Latest update on my tdi conversion is that the guys who do my machining work have made up the T3 diesel transporter to Renaul t UN1 gear box adaptor from my drawings.
This is a major brake through as I can now bolt all parts together and get on with the fabrication of the nose cone mount and the engine mounts.
The adaptor plate has been CNC machined so that I can get more made up for anyone wanting to buy one for a UN1 gearbox install.
I have yet to find out if the south african bell housing and input shaft can be used for other engine conversions such as VR6 / Audi v6 twin turbo or any of the other upright engine installs.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: mrhutch
Date Posted: 21 Aug 09 at 14:44
nice work fella..

crack on now..  following this one with interest

-------------
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 21 Aug 09 at 20:03
 Well impressed, any idea yet on how much?

-------------
the last one

Date Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 14:24
A few more parts are now in stock for the project which has allowed me to do a little more work.
Drive shaft flanges to suit the vw T3 cv joints.

Gear box now fitted to engine and offered up into the engine bay.

Some alteration work to the body shell to allow for the longer gear box. (this should allow me to retain the std JX TD exhaust system to fit at the rear of the van.)

I hope to be able to keep the momentum in this job now that I have a few of the well needed parts to pull this conversion off.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: TONY
Date Posted: 07 Sep 09 at 15:46
I HAVE REPLACED MY 1.6 DIESEL FOR A 1Z FROM A VENTO BUT HAVE USED THE PUMP FROM THE 1.6 .THE ENGINE STARTS AND RUNS BUT IS LIKE A SMOKE MACHINE. DO I NEED THE 1.9 1Z PUMP AND IF SO HOW MUCH OF THE WIRE LOOM AND ACC PEDAL DO I NEED? THANKS

Posted By: Chappy
Date Posted: 07 Sep 09 at 17:11
Originally posted by TONY TONY wrote:

I HAVE REPLACED MY 1.6 DIESEL FOR A 1Z FROM A VENTO BUT HAVE USED THE PUMP FROM THE 1.6 .THE ENGINE STARTS AND RUNS BUT IS LIKE A SMOKE MACHINE. DO I NEED THE 1.9 1Z PUMP AND IF SO HOW MUCH OF THE WIRE LOOM AND ACC PEDAL DO I NEED? THANKS

Don't think the 1.6 pump has got enough grunt pressure wise for the 1.9 fella.

Do a search on here - there's loads of info on coversions, including the 1Z Tongue

-------------
Back in the slow lane, yeah!

Date Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 08:16
c'mon tim...  how you doing ??

Do you have a list of where the UN1 gearboxes can be found..  My research shows, that some r e n a u l t traffic's have them in...  

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 09:15

Found this lot on the net, I hope you find out all you need from here.

Vehicles that use variants of the Renaul t UN1 gearbox.

Model

Part No.

21 Turbo

UN1-013

25 GTX

UN 1-03

25V6

UN 1-04

Alpine GTA *

UN1-05

25 Blindee

UN 1-06

Alpine Turbo

UN1-07

25V6 Turbo

UN1-08

30TX

369-01/06/017

30TS

369-01/06/014

Alpine A310V6

369-02

Espace (earlier models)

UN1

Master van

DeLorean

Lotus Esprit

UN1-25/26/27

Venturi

Gear ratios of various UN1/369 variants

Model

Part No.

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

Rev

Diff

R5 Turbo 1

369-04(+)/09

R5 Turbo 2

369-15

20TX

20LS/TS

21Turbo

UN1-013

25GTX

UN 1-03

25V6

UN 1-04

Alpine GTA *

UN1-05

25 Blindee

UN 1-06

Alpine Turbo

UN1-07

25V6 Turbo

UN1-08

30TX

369-01/06/017

30TS

369-01/06/014

Alpine A310V6

369-02

?

*Different direction of rotation

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 09:23
cool..  thanks tim..  if I source a front engined gearbox, it's only a matter of changing the side that the diff is on??  how difficult is this??

Any ideas on prices for your adaptor plates ?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 09:32
The UN1 is very much like a set of beetle engine cases, bolts all the way around the edge, allowing the case halves to be split.

The adaptor plates cost £250 and are made of alloy.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 20:30
Hutch, if the gearbox is in front of the engine it `s the correct way. Cheers, rolo

-------------
the last one

Date Posted: 06 Oct 09 at 22:14
oh yeah...  Embarrassed

cheers rolo

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 20:00
I have managed to make a little more visible progress on the project. Most of the time is spent pondering what effect each job will have on the next.
I have removed the 1Z turbo and fitted the engine to the std VW T3 engine mounts.
The original plan was to make up a pair on new engine mounts that would allow me to move the engine, to fit it at 90 deg to the back of the van but this would have caused fitting issues with a lot of the ancillaries within the engine bay.

I had to remove some more metal from the area around the front nose cone of the gear box.
I made up the new cross member to support the gearbox and also started making up the front gearbox mount.
The cross member will need to be removed at some point soon so that I can cut holes in it to route the heater hoses, wiring loom, servo pipe, fuel pipes and hand brake cables.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: T3ADICT
Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 00:37
wow thats a major alteration on the cross member.
you going to put some cross ties to the orignal cross member stubs?

the sa bell housing still fits the same way as the diesel/petrol wbx one..
what input shaft do you use? a vw one oa an adapted ren ult one

-------------
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 09:18
I will be putting ties back form the new cross member to the remains of the old one, this will also cap the cut ends of the old cross member.

All of the bell housings in the T3 range fit in the same way to the gear box body, therefor all bell housings will all fit to the UN1 adaptor plate.

I have cut out and moved the cross member due to the length of the 4 cylinder with a factory exhaust to the rear, other conversions may fit without cutting the van about.

VW shafts fit into the renaul t UN1 gear box, so you can use the correct input shaft to suit your bell housing choice or an after market TDI shaft if you go that route.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 09:33
""
The original plan was to make up a pair on new engine mounts that would allow me to move the engine, to fit it at 90 deg to the back of the van but this would have caused fitting issues with a lot of the ancillaries within the engine bay.    """            90 deg to back of van? Sorry don`t really understand that.      Rolo

-------------
the last one

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 09:41
^^  WHS ^^

do you mean using the whole engine and gearbox from the donor??  

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 10:02
Hi Rolo, the diesel engines fitted into the T3 are fitted at an angle and are not perfectly in line. The rear pulley is over to the right and the gear box nose is over to the left.

mr hutch, not sure if you have read all of the posts.
My conversion involves using a TDI golf engine code 1Z taken form the car shown in the photos, this is mounted to a R enault transaxle (gearbox) by way of an original VW diesel bell housing and an adaptor plate that I have had machined. Pictures of all parts are shown on this thread.

It fair to say that sometime the detail is lost in translation.
I hope this has answered some of your questions more fully.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 10:16
ahhh, I see what you mean now... forgot that the axis of engine and gearbox is not exactly perpendicular to chassis rails.

I understand where you are going with it!  Just thought you may have pondered doing a full engine and gearbox swap  at some time previous - making a subframe that will bolt into the rear of the T3 - obviously losing a helavalot of metal round the rear bulkhead..  

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 10:16
Thanks

-------------
the last one

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 11:09
Made up the engine mount this morning, so here is a few pics of that.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 11:39
sweet...  nice work

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 08:14
Looking for a box still, locally only masters and espaces around. The master is one of the stronger versions but the diff. is a bit low and complicated to swop. I notice you mention early espaces; any idea year? I`ve found some early ones that look similar but seem too short and sparce on the finning/strengthening. Cheers, rolo.

-------------
the last one

Date Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 09:27
Not sure which Espace, but I guess that it would have been one fitted with a V6.
The other box which looks similar is a NG if I remember correctly.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 22 Oct 09 at 06:35
Thanks I`ll check that out.

-------------
the last one

Posted By: andy1300gt
Date Posted: 08 Nov 09 at 15:46
Hi VW Nerd, love the UN1 chartWink I am following your conversion, will be in touch again soon. Getting Doka painted

-------------
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300

Date Posted: 08 Nov 09 at 17:06
Gear linkage now mocked up and working, I'll do some refining and then post up some more photos.
Then I will move onto the electrical side of the instal.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 02 Dec 09 at 21:30
Are the drive shaft flanges the ones sold to fit Ford? Been asked £200 for a pair is that about right?

-------------
the last one

Date Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 22:34
The shafts flanges that I use are for the GT 40 kit car market. Be aware that different companies make them in different lengths.

The gear linkage is now all working and I have now started to build the wiring loom to fit the bus.
I will be using the electronic pump and all of the wiring needed from the golf to make this tdi conversion.

I am also thinking of using the larger turbo from the JX 1.6 turbo diesel on its manifold. Has any one else used this set up with any success?

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 22:49
linkage looks good!  Will you be able to weather protect the rose joints or is it not needed?

JX turbo will be good, if you use the manifold you can obviously bolt a standard exhaust on it (but dunno if your engine position has changed with the gearbox?).  Set up on mine is that, but a slightly bigger hybrid turbo...

Date Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 23:19
I have kept the engine in the standard position to make life easier.
It was much easier for me to cut the body of the van and do some fabrication to accommodate the gearbox than to modify all other parts in the engine bay to fit the gearbox.
Not sure if a large dollop of grease will be enough to protect the rose joints, but they are inexpensive and very easy to replace if they do give problems.
If I don't get the milage out of this set up I will add some rubber protection over it all.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: Camping Bazz
Date Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 23:46
Im loving this thread so keep the pics coming Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 22:00
Latest update

I spent the money on an HA projekt Near side engine mount to get the project moving on and also bought a few other bits that I needed.
I now have the new input shaft for the 228 mm tdi clutch
A new tdi clutch
A new thrust bearing which has to be the VW T3 unit not the tdi unit that comes with the new clutch
An oil return line for the turbo, this is tdi specific as the JK turbo has a different fitting on the turbo for the oil return line.
I also bought a switch mounting plate to use for the clutch switch (I will be using a relay attached to the rear brake light unit to avoid running extra wire to the front of the van) Should to the same job.

The lugs for TDC need to be cut off the clutch cover plate

Don't forget to mark the new tdc point to line up with the bell housing mark.
Its not very visible in this shot but there is a chisel mark under all that tipex.

New input shaft fitted, this is the tdi specific item as used in the VW T3 transmission.

The new oil return line with different flange to the JX turbo oil return flange

I also had some steel flanges made up to use to fit the flexi exhaust joiner to the std JX exhaust centre pipe, I have spares if any one needs any.

Clutch switch fitting bracket complete with VW Audi logo????????

All engine and gear box specific parts are now fitted, soon be time to attach the wiring loom to the vans loom and get the beast running.
mmm...

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 29 Jan 10 at 20:26
A few more photos of the parts that I built this evening.
The flexi for the exhaust made from the old golf exhaust flange at the turbo end and the new laser cut flange to join the JX middle pipe.

I also made up the stabiliser bar for the clutch slave cylinder bracket.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: pearce
Date Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 13:03
All looking good Tim, i have just put a flexi in the middle of my exhaust pipe( came off Big Steve's old transit).
I also now have the suspension off the Black pickup of Steve's sat in my garage, Whats he like!!!.
Cheers Gary

-------------
I try to keep smiling even when asleep.

Posted By: shrek
Date Posted: 25 Feb 10 at 22:35
just been looking through thanks for the link just want to know wear did ya get the oil return pipe from or did ya get it made?

Posted By: famous phil
Date Posted: 04 Mar 10 at 21:52
great project , this transmission looks spot on for the next diesel project I'm looking at building V6 2.7 , would think would be able to find a decent size clutch for the job ,,used to be able to get adaptors for V8 engines to fit ,

-------------
Prototype automotive engineering design and development

Date Posted: 05 Mar 10 at 06:43
What gearing/wheel,tyre size  you using on the 100 machine?

-------------
the last one

Posted By: Duxforddubz
Date Posted: 05 Mar 10 at 15:15
 Just having a read through, did have a word with you at vanfest last year. Is that a second cross member you have added to take your new gearbox mount? Am i right in thinking that your new tdi input shaft is a simple swap, is the thread compatible? where did you source the shaft please? I am doing a tdi swap, dub to dub, but am interested in these boxes as i have an adapter to join one to a rover v8, so this is a mix of questions, LOL, sorry bout that!

Date Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 19:31
Originally posted by Duxforddubz Duxforddubz wrote:

Just having a read through, did have a word with you at vanfest last year. Is that a second cross member you have added to take your new gearbox mount? Am i right in thinking that your new tdi input shaft is a simple swap, is the thread compatible? where did you source the shaft please? I am doing a tdi swap, dub to dub, but am interested in these boxes as i have an adapter to join one to a rover v8, so this is a mix of questions, LOL, sorry bout that!

I had to cut out some of the standard cross member to make room for the longer gear box and I made up a new cross member to put the strength back into the van.
It might be possible to fit the gear box to the standard mount, but you will have to move the engine mounts on the factory engine support tubes and move the exhaust silencer to allow the engine to be moved tight to the rear valance.
The input shafts for the vw transmission can be fitted into the Ren-ault box as the input shaft sleeve uses a similar spline with both boxes.

The shaft and the oil return are from germany. vwt3umbau. Very quick service from these guys.

The cross member is now fitted and all electrical cables, pipes and handbrake cables fitted.

I have turned my attention to doing some mot type welding on the bus now.

Sorry about the photo quality, black was not such a good choice of colour.

undefined

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 19 May 10 at 09:42
I have had some time to do a bit more work on the bus and have also repainted the panel work underneath to make it clearer to see.
I am hoping to get the engine running before I take on any extra work.
I have been connecting up all of the wires to the std T3 petrol wiring loom and will have to add a few extra cables for glow plug light, clutch switch and road speed sensor.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: shrek
Date Posted: 19 May 10 at 22:06
i like it very nice done more than i could do  ?? see your putting loom in are you putting the ecu in air box area? i'm planning on putting mine under the rear seat just thinking of keeping it dry or do you think i'm worrying to much have not got as far as you but my word its getting there keep the good work up nice to see it runningTongue

-------------
IF ONLY IT WOULD GO RIGHT EVERY TIME ???

Date Posted: 20 May 10 at 22:05
Lost the original key for the the Golf TDI during the build up (one of those chipped keys with the immobiliser built into the ecu)
Well a very nice man came to my workshop today with a lap top and made me a new chip for the transponder and now my van in running. Happy days.

Still need to sort out the intercooler and do a spot more welding before I get a new mot.
It's very refreshing to at last see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If any one has the misfortune of loosing a chipped key for there tdi project or there daily driver then give me a shout and I will do my best to get your key sorted.

Tim

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 20 May 10 at 22:10
Some of the 2.1 petrol vans had the ecu behind the left hand rear light before VW moved it to the new location under the back seat.
I guess that time will tell whether the location behind the rear light was a bad move or not.
I had thought about putting the ecu inside the van, but as it is a panel van and will be given a hard life with engines and other heavy things being thrown into the back I decided to take my chances with it behind the rear light.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 21 May 10 at 14:11
Hi Tim, when can I come and have a chat?

-------------

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300

Date Posted: 21 May 10 at 15:54
Give me a call. Number is on the bottom of this thread.

Tim.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 21 Jun 10 at 10:06
Is it on the road then? 

-------------

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300

Posted By: Carrat
Date Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 22:52
Hi nice conversion that g box looks fantastic! just wondering is that an abs sensor fitted to your drive shaft?

Date Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 19:38
Just ordered some silicone hoses to plumb in the intercooler which is now located below the lower tray area behind the near side rear light. The plan is to blank off the opening which would normally allow cold air to enter the engine bay. This should then force plenty of air over the intercooler. The off side outer cill is now fitted and things are getting much closer toward MOT time.
More pic to follow.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: timmythedog
Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 14:38
So intercooler mounted behind ns light. opening to engine bay blanked. Will pipes feed through this blanking plate? Is fresh air feed for air filter still coming from here too? Are you gonna fit a leccy fan or rely on natural air flow, and where will the "used" air go to? I'm about to attempt same/similar, so intrigued. I have a MK3 tdi intercooler to utilise.

-------------
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 20:09
If my bus were a bay window, I would be the battery tray that was cut out. The intercooer is laid flat mounted from the underside of the van. the engine bay will be blanked off, so all air will go down the rear corner and pass over the cooler then exit out the bottom of the van. Pictures to follow.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: timmythedog
Date Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 21:23
Aah. Got you. look forward to the pictures. Smile Also considering chopping that panel back to slot cooler  in and feed one hose under the chassis leg.

-------------
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 22:18
The bus is now due its mot and is booked in for 1st September. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it before vanfest.
Need to sort out my computer to get some more photos up. I hope to get that done soon.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 09:31
Last night I put all of the gear ratios and tyre size into one of the on line gear ratio calculators.
The results are as follows with std 185 14 tyres.
1500 rpm 5th 44mph
2000 rpm 5th 59mph
2500 rpm 5th 73mph
3000 rpm 5th 88mph
3500 rpm 5th 103mph
4000 rpm 5th 117mph Not sure if this speed is possible with the high rpm and the wind resistance of the van. (Time will tell)
The van drove well on my way to the mot today. Looking forward to racking up some miles.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 09:57
Are you bringing it up to Vanfest Tim?

Have you got a stall next to Simon again?

Date Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 10:45
Great news!
Van just passed mot.

I will be up at van fest inside one of the big halls with the van.
see you there!

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: ELVIS
Date Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 10:56
 Gret news chap! Deffo want more pics- think this thread is one of the forums most understated!

-------------
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Posted By: Camping Bazz
Date Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 11:00
Looking forward to see this van at Vanfest

Date Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 16:37
Well done!

-------------

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300

Date Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 16:47
Many thanks to all of the people who showed an interest in my tdi project at van fest.

I will get around to adding the remaining photos of the build up for all of those who could not make the show and I'll also get some fuel consumption figures to make some sense of the conversion.

Tim.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 16:51
Whats it go like then? Good for crusing? Tell us....gwan

-------------

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300

Date Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 22:25
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

Last night I put all of the gear ratios and tyre size into one of the on line gear ratio calculators.
The results are as follows with std 185 14 tyres.
1500 rpm 5th 44mph
2000 rpm 5th 59mph
2500 rpm 5th 73mph
3000 rpm 5th 88mph
3500 rpm 5th 103mph
4000 rpm 5th 117mph Not sure if this speed is possible with the high rpm and the wind resistance of the van. (Time will tell)
The van drove well on my way to the mot today. Looking forward to racking up some miles.

Cruses very well at 2,500 rpm, pushed it up to 3000 rpm with no bother.
Of on a Europe trip soon, so will get some good mpg figures from that.

One thing is for sure, it should be happy to sit at 2,500 all day without any over heating problems associated with using std VW transmissions and over reving the engine by a further 1000+ rpms.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: BUS.BOY
Date Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 15:59
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

[QUOTE=VW Nerd]
 on a Europe trip soon, so will get some good mpg figures from that.

cu on the autobarn mate

-------------
************bristol t3 racers************

Posted By: T3ADICT
Date Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 00:36
ive just read through this thread for the 4th time..
worth reading..
few questions.
ive seen that with a inline 4 engine bolted to it, the box is better shifted forward.
but..
im going audi 2.8 v6.

at vanfest there was a van in the show area running this engine.. there seemed a good amount of space at the rear of the engine.

how much more rearward movement do you think would be required so that the cross member wont need cutting.

ive got a very nice aap box in bits that i could use but will it last...
 (not asking you that one..lol just a chuck it in the air type coment) 

i know that these un1 boxes have been used for some big power..

as the 2.8 v6 engine ive got has 175bhp as standard.. i think i could do with a box thats going to last.

-------------
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

Date Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 08:24
you *might* get away with not cutting the cross member but it would be very very tight - it does move forward quite a bit.  Tim would be able to say I guess, dunno if he moved in on the french filth bus.

Bloody nice set up and tempted for my TDi at some point in the future, not cheap but good value I reckon. getting a gearbox built isn't cheap and still not all that strong.

You might find that the AAP is fine, it depends how you use it.  Mega torque of TDi's is a box killer, might be fine with a V6 petrol, but then again if you're dumping the clutch and spinning up all the time then its bound to be dead soon.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 10:03
[QUOTE=VW Nerd]

undefined

/QUOTE]

Look at the detail in this picture. You can see the position of the original cross member and the new one in front of it. This should give some idea as to how much distance there is between the cross members.

I chose to fit the engine in the factory position on std T3 JX mounts. In my mind the conversion on my bus was the gear box not the engine (which is fitted with std parts in the std location)
The gear box is the odd part out in this conversion not the engine.

If you intend to use an engine that needs to have its own unique mounts and sub frame made up then I would suggest that you fit the engine and gear box pair in a place that save making extra work for your self.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: silverbullet
Date Posted: 28 Sep 10 at 13:53
Hi Tim,
Reading this with great interest after talking to Charlie at VF, as I reckon my SA really could do with longer legs, however chopping the bus about is NOT an option Wink
(I fully appreciate what your project aims were and after all, the driveshafts need to - more or less - line up)
It has however got me thinking about another alternative gearbox and crownwheel/pinions...
I should have had a look at your van at VF, didn't realize what was in it!
P.S. Out of interest, when did the UN-1 stop being produced and how many are out there?

-------------
Have I missed anything?

Date Posted: 28 Sep 10 at 14:34
The GTA turbo and the A610 were produced from 1986 to 1995.
There are many other vehicles that use the UN1 inc 21 and 25 turbo.
These boxes seem to come up on auction sites quite often.

There is a guy with a bay window running an Audi box upside down. Not sure what he did about mounting the engine to the bell housing.

There are many options that can be made to fit, but all this work costs time and money.

Good luck with your project!

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Posted By: silverbullet
Date Posted: 28 Sep 10 at 15:31
Upside down? Dead I think we can do better than that. A visit to the gearcutters is needed after I get my hands on something like an A6 petrol quattro gearbox Wink

-------------
Have I missed anything?

Posted By: rallycrosser
Date Posted: 20 Oct 10 at 20:43
Hi very interesting thread i must say, now here is a question for you i am planning on building a mk4 vw golf with a 4.2 v8 audi engine midmounted in it, do you think your adapter plate would work for this? I kow i could go to a crowd like elite racing transmissions or hewland and get a sequintial box but i would prefer to get the car built and test other areas like handleing first before spending big bucks, can you tell me more about how you have done this and what changes had to be made?

Posted By: tram-man
Date Posted: 20 Oct 10 at 21:49
Just use the Audi gearbox. Google Audi transaxle / mid engine. 

-------------

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16

Date Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 12:25
For those that never made van fest and didn't get to see the van finished, here are a few more photos of the intercooler instal.

The van is now used as my daily driver after a shake down in the form of a drive through France, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland.

Fuel consumption seems good with over 450 miles from a tank of fuel. I will be topping up the tank, zeroing the trip gauge and putting some miles on the bus, then refilling to the top to see what miles per gallon this bus actually delivers at 70mph.

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 12:30
Hi Tim, still would like to go over sme figures with you regarding the transplant. I know it is all time and money. It's just getting things straight in me head!

-------------

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300

Date Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 12:35
What do you need to know?

-------------

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van

Date Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 13:14
You may know the answer to this, Tim, so I`ll ask. Got a 21 turbo box with the high diff. also a master with a low one with wider ratios but a near identical top gear, perhaps good for the strip! The planet gears are apparently different.(both still intact). I have to swap the diff. over in the 21. Do you know whether the 21 crown and pinion will fit the van box or the van cluster in the turbo? Just a thought might save me having a too high first gear. The mtdi has tested well and is asking to go in the van

-------------
the last one

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net