Print Page | Close Window

sticking fridge buttons

Printed From: The Brick-yard
Category: T3 Section
Forum Name: T3 Westfalia forum
Forum Description: Forum to discuss VW T3 Westfalia models. If it's shit, it goes!
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34152
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 22:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: sticking fridge buttons
Posted By: Jon_E
Subject: sticking fridge buttons
Date Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 14:13
anyone else had / got a problem with the 3 fridge mode buttons sticking?

The two electric mode buttons seem fine, but the gas one sticks in and to get it out I have to use a combo of wiggling it and pushing the other two as hard as I dare.

Was gonna pop some wd40 in there, but thought it was worth a Q first..!

Common problem?
Any easy way to get in behind this panel and have a look?

Jon

Replies:
Posted By: Tee3
Date Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 21:18
might be an idea to use some electical switch cleaner, rather than wd 40

-------------

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://www.tee3.co.uk/

Date Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 22:33
yeah, I used that esomething achohol spray, no real joy yet. Ran out of time. Got trim panel off fridge front, but couldn't figure getting the actual switch panel off. Dunno if I buggered the ignition while I was arsing around with it as has always gone click click fine and lit, but stopped trying to click. Will need to have a look again in the week.

Posted By: Stefvan
Date Posted: 20 Mar 09 at 17:20

I have an RM184EGi - the auto-ignition one-  with the 3 buttons as Jons - my problem is that the mains button does not stay in - and therefore my fridge won't work on hook-up. Before I rip the sucka out (and I don't relish getting that gas nut undone... (am I right in saying that it undoes anti-clockwise as you are looking into the cupboard ? EDIT: No undoes as normal) ) has anyone managed to get one of these as a spare part off the shelf ? Or have a working one lying around they'd like to sell me  Big smile

tia
Stefvan

Posted By: hagzo
Date Posted: 23 Mar 09 at 20:32

i broke my buttons and it's taken 18 months to find a set. No ones got them; Gunzl, electrolux etc.

They are near on impossible to find so don't force them like stupid here did.

The buttons are in a black unit with 3 pairs of contacts out the top for connection to the supply. Inside the box is a set of plastic siders which are pushed and reset by springs. When i took the wee lid off the box the sliders were snapped so i don't know if the mechanism was held in place by the lid.

The replacement i've got is a bit stiff so i was thinking of spraying some silicon through the holes in the base of the unit to let the sliders move better and them a bit of WD for the springs.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 09 at 22:18

Cheers Hagzo I took my fridge out today to fix the button and I got into the box you describe. There are little clips around the edge of the box which you can open with a fingernail and it sort of hinges at the front where the buttons are.  If you are careful you could lift up to squirt silicone or some sort of lubricant inside. There are two sets of sliding plates under the buttons, a long plate with a spring at the bottom and two very flimsy pyramid shaped plates that rest inside it. One of these had collapsed so I tried to repair it with superglue but that wasn't strong enough so I made a little copy of one of the pyramids out of an old RAC membership card. One of the little pyramids has to have a slot in it so it can rest over the little spring underneath it. The hardest bit was getting it back together.. because one of the buttons must be pushed in..  but it now works superbly and I have mains !!

I guess if you are worried about busting a healthy but slightly stiff button it couldn't hurt to squeeze a bit of silicone into the 4 diagonal holes just below the two brown 12V connectors on the top picture using one of those straw things from a WD40 can. The sliders on mine were full of powdered plastic and were very stiff so I took it apart and cleaned it .... now like a new watch..

Date Posted: 24 Mar 09 at 22:00
Originally posted by Stefvan Stefvan wrote:

I took my fridge out

Easy? I whipped the facia off mine, but stopped short of going any further, seeing as only thing not working was the gas mode. If it's easy enough, I'd be tempted to have the fridge out, as I'd like the fix the buttons.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 09:37
I'd be lying if I said easy, even though its the 3rd time I've done it... but you only generally need to do it once per van... and be prepared for a nasty shock .
First part of the job is to get one of those containers with a lot of little compartments so you can separate and keep safe all of the screws, caps etc.
Make sure the underfloor tank is switched off and the isolator valve shut off  under the sink. You should also disconnect the earth strap from your leisure batteries to be safe. Unplug the fridge under the sink.  There are two unions on the L joint on the gas pipe...  its easier to undo the lower one, you then need to undo the screw that holds the tiny pipe clip so you can pull the pipe down and out of the L.
Then you need to take off the door and the fascia, simple enough, I used a sharp chisel to prise the screw caps off, then you pull the right side of the fascia forward then pull the whole fascia to the right to disengage the lip that runs down the left hand side.
After getting the fascia off i took a pencil and drew down the formica both sides of the front of the fridge so it was easy to get the screws and gas pipe back in.
Then you have to find the "4 secret screws" if you look in the left hand top cubby hole (next to the fridge) there is a hole with a screw in it. If you lift the floor of that cubby hole up you'll find the next screw. There are two (shorter) corresponding screws in the undersink cupboard, hidden in the formica.
Now undo the two screws that cover the grill on the rear left hand side. There should be a small exhaust pipe going to the vent. Also note through the hole how the exhaust pipe is higher at the back than the underneath of the grill so you can't pull the fridge straight out without it fouling.
So now you should be able to grab the fridge and wiggle it forwards. The exhaust pipe is just pushed on to the back of the vent and may need a help off. If all you want to do is the buttons you only need to get it forward a few inches. But to be honest, in for a penny, you may as well take the whole thing out and give it a quick once-over, as per this post http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33700&KW=&PID=256340&title=westy-fridge-wanted#256340 - http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33700&KW=&PID=256340&title=westy-fridge-wanted#256340 , the fridge has probably been gathering dust, cobwebs, old sweets and food, and harbouring rust for twenty years. If its been unused for 10 years, I don't know if its old wives tale about turning it upside down for a day but Pete Headley did it when he serviced mine and it would happily make ice afterwards so i do the same.
Its a bit like taking the dash out but quicker !! I hope I haven't put you off... just giving you the tips while I remember... 
Plus the gas mode is by far the most useful. I am pretty sure your little "pyramid" has snapped like mine and you can replace it with a small piece of plastic as I did. If I were you, take pictures and make notes as you dismantle the buttons.
Stefvan

Posted By: Holydiver
Date Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 17:25
Hi Stef

Yep had the same problem with mine when he got him, I used WD40 and kept pushing all the buttons in-turn quite quick until the gas button worked, that was a year ago and still working OK

Date Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 19:33
re-fitting the gas fittings? anything to note? ptfe tape or anything like that? Appreciate the guidance

Posted By: flyy
Date Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 20:55
 You can either use bosswhite pipe jointing compound or wrap a small amount of ptfe tape round the olive(ring on pipe). Take care not to cross thread the fitting.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 20:57
Just do em up very tight and test the seal with soapy water, not household stuff like Fairy its too salty and will corrode the fittings, use the special testing stuff or possibly car wash, hand wash/soap or kids bubble maker, 50/50 in a sprayer. Don't use PTFE, its a compression fitting. [EDIT - I am not a CORGI gas plumber just a DIY'er so if flyyer is and he disagrees hes probably right !]

hth

Stefvan

Posted By: grm2507
Date Posted: 23 May 16 at 10:05
I know this is an old post but describes the problem I was having.

90% of the time the buttons worked fine.  Every now and then they would 'jam up' usually with the gas one getting stuck in and neither of the other 2 releasing it when pressed.  A bit of fiddling and I managed to sort things out.

Managed to get a new replacement switch unit from Brickwerks (just in case) and once the buttons had finally decided to stay jammed I replaced the unit following the instructions here.  I couldn't free up the exhaust pipe but managed to pull the fridge out enough to swap the switched over.  Also, would agree that it's easier to undo the gas pipe at the lower fitting - the top one was solid.

Got it all back in and connected - no leaks that I can find (did soapy water test) and everything works.

Now, what do you know?  The new switch is a bit sticky (wasn't before I installed it) and the old one, despite having a few bits of the plastic internals broken, works fine as well.  Can only think that the buttons themselves are getting caught against the facia opening somehow.  Something to sort out another day!!  

-------------
1987 Vanagon GL DJ 2.1 - Dove Blue Metallic
1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD - Alpine White

1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD (Pop-top) - Alpine White

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net