Forum Description: Forum for T5 specific chat
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30003
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 14:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: fiting of rear seats T5
Posted By: fozzy T5
Subject: fiting of rear seats T5
Date Posted: 29 Aug 08 at 14:50
A few people have asked about fitting the geniune VW T5 seats, this is all the info i can get from the VW site.

4.3 Retrofitting of seats in passenger compartment
Panel van (type 7HK..)
Retrofitting of seats and seatbelt anchor points is not possible
Kombi/Shuttle (type 7HC) On vehicles with panelled sidewalls at the rear, retrofitting of seats and seatbelt anchor points for the 2nd and 3rd seat row is not permitted. In the first seat row, there is an option of installing a 2-seater bench seat plus a single seat. The seat and seatbelt mountings are always installed as standard for the 2- eater bench seat in the 1st seat row.
Retrofitting of single seat in 1st seat row
Removal of relevant components in floor
Riveting in of four reinforcement brackets 2x 7H0.803.547 / 2x7H0.803.548 (see diagram 1.2)

Drilling of seat mounting holes through holes already made in reinforcements, and subsequent measures to protect against corrosion
Retrofitting of 3-seater bench seat in 2nd or 3rd seat row
Removal of relevant components in floor
Drilling of seat mounting holes (see diagram 1) through holes already made in reinforcements, and subsequent measures to protect against corrosion

Assembly of seat attachment rails
See diagram 2
We recommend that our rubber matting is installed to compensate for gaps between seat attachment rails and the vehicle floor

Seat mountings on long wheelbase
Retrofitting of 2-seater bench seat in 2nd seat row (long wheelbase
only)
• Removal of relevant components in floor
• Riveting in of four reinforcement brackets 7H3.803.243 and 7H0.803.333 (see diagram 2.1)
• Drilling of seat mounting holes (see diagram 2) through holes already made in reinforcements and subsequent measures to protect against corrosion

Replies:
Date Posted: 29 Aug 08 at 14:52
Maybe this should be a sticky as this is asked often, and maybe people can add to itThumbs%20Up

Posted By: borg
Date Posted: 29 Aug 08 at 15:33
I'm having my van converted to a camper van so have to take the double seat from behind the drivers seat out in a few weeks.

I'm not looking forward to it as I will also need to drop the diesel tank to get at the bolts to undo them, but at least these drawings give me an idea of what I am looking for.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 08 at 15:37
I believe its exhaust, diesel tank and handbrake linkage and heatshields to get at it

Date Posted: 29 Aug 08 at 17:52
What allot of hassle just to undo 8 bolts!

I may just take an angle grinder to the quick release seat fittings. It would be allot simpler and could leave the bolts in place to save having holes in the floor.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 08 at 19:19
i think its about half a days work so not to bad.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 08 at 09:50
Certainly is, no wonder I had quotes of £250 to £300 to take them out.

I will probally have to do it though, as the heat from angle grinding may melt the plastic diesel tank.

I think the problem more for me knowing that I will have to waste most of a Saturday just to take off 8 bolts.

Posted By: Bullifamilie
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 05:23
Very intresting information.

Does anyone know which reinforcement plate/load spredder is used for the Shuttle/caravelle/kombi beach style rear seat runners.

I've been told by two garages that there is no reinforcement plate but I'm finding it hard to believe.  My rear VW bench seat/Bed will be fitted in the next couple of weeks and it would be nice to know about any necessary reinforcement plates before all the covers come off.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 07:54
It looks as if there are two L shape brackets that go off the T5 chassis, best ring VW to see if they list them, be interesting if they do, you will find that most vw dealers take most of their vans to coach builders rather than do it themselves, thats the case with the two local dealers near me, that why i went straight to the coach builders instead of a vw dealer.

Posted By: Onefut
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 09:58
When i bought my shuttle it wasnt fitted with any rear seats altho the log book said 9 seater
i bought seats & seat belts for the rear from a place in manchester and all the brackets an compressing nuts from VW and fitted em my self
I had to remove the protective panels from underneath but didnt need to remove the fuel tank at all it was a bit fiddley but nowt to difficult
If id have know about this place at the time id have photographed it allConfusedLOL

-------------
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB

Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 23:57
Onefut,

Are your seats the ones on runners? (nearly 3metres long).  If so did you have any reinforcement plates?

when I did a rough lineup it looked like the bolts went through holes in the floor strenghtning members and there was no way to get a reinforcement plate in.  Thinking now I didn't have it correctly lined up.

Any comment?

Posted By: funky
Date Posted: 03 Sep 08 at 09:09

are your seats the ones on runners? (nearly 3metres long).  If so did you have any reinforcement plates?

when I did a rough lineup it looked like the bolts went through holes in the floor strenghtning members and there was no way to get a reinforcement plate in.  Thinking now I didn't have it correctly lined up.

Any comment?
i fitted the rails in my shutle and yes most of the bolts go through streghtning points but there are some that dont where there are right angle stainless brackets riveted to the chassis as shown on the picture above,and you can see where all the holes have to be drilled from the underneath
hth

Date Posted: 04 Sep 08 at 00:34
Funky,

Can you tell me which brackets, which picture, which part number.

How many bolts did you use to fix each rail down.  I was only supplied with 3 for each rail.

Posted By: funky
Date Posted: 04 Sep 08 at 21:19
 2x 7H0.803.547 / 2x7H0.803.548 (see diagram 1.2)
taken from above pics and i used 42 nuts and bolts costing £100 from vw

Date Posted: 07 Sep 08 at 17:38
I just fitted a set of SHuttle seats
altho id like to do 2 sliding bench seats

-------------
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 08 at 16:35
I've started taking out the double seat in the back of my T5 that go directly behind the driver as my van is being converted to a camper in a few weeks. They are in good nick as the van has only done 10,000 miles.

With the seat I also have seat belts, genuine VW floor mat, 6 x floor loading points, and the grey cards that fit in all the tailgate, sliding door and panels below the windows.

To get ride of the whole lot as I don't really have room for storage, anyone who is willing to pick it up from the Bournemouth area can have the lot for £200

Posted By: ventury
Date Posted: 14 Sep 08 at 18:29
I have an enforcement plate for a twin and single seat i can send a picture if any help

Posted By: dancingbear
Date Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 14:09
I jusy bought a t5 lwb combi!  WOO HOO

anyway, i want to take the seats out and start the conversion ball rolling... can anyone answer the following questions for me?

1) Once i have managed to get the rear seats out, where and how much will they sell for?

2) I want a 3/4 bed (rock and roll equiv.) against the back door with proper seat belts but don't have the money to get a £2000 rib seat or equivalent... any suggestions??? 

All answers /suggestions appreciated
Ta very much :)

-------------
Eagles may soar... but weasels don't get sucked into engines!!!

Posted By: wavey
Date Posted: 10 Nov 08 at 21:48

HI! ,(borg and dancing bear)just wondering if any of you have still got your seats for sale?

i've got a t5 van swb and am hoping to fit some in the rear,

many thanks Smile

Date Posted: 10 Nov 08 at 21:54
hey wavey,

sorry i have used my seats in the end.... managed to fit them down the back and make a parcel shelf come 6ft bed that slides out when the seat is folded down!  it rocks!!!!!

ebay is usually good for seats but the prices can vary alot!
good luck
 bear

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Dec 08 at 09:36
for anyone who is interested, i retrofitted a double seat between the wheel arches of my lwb combi.... removing the bolts from the front was entertaining with a full fuel tank which had to be dropped slightly, but if you can get a ramp and a strong mate to help it takes 30 mins tops.   for fitting, a cautious but confident approach with a sharp drill and some careful measuring seemed to work fine... the flooring diagram above proved very useful!... ouyt of interest i was quoted £500 for someone else to do this work... it took less that 3 hrs all told! ...........and cost nowt!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Dec 08 at 17:29
Only trouble is if you tell the insurance company they will want some kind of reciept to prove they are fitted to a decent safety standard, i could have fitted mine myself but i went to a coach builder and got a certificate to prove they they are fitted properly, im not saying yours insn't just be carefule, if you have a bump and the insurance guy pays a visit, he would invalid your insurance.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 08 at 18:01
thanks for that fozzy.... getting some seat belts fitted soon so will get onto it
cheers

-------------

Posted By: max5765
Date Posted: 23 Dec 08 at 20:38

I supply bonded floor systems for the rear of vehicles to both mount seats on and clamp wheelchairs to. This type of system is proving very popular with convertors throughout Europe as they have a fully crash tested solution that meets all EU standards. In 90% of the cases a convertor will ask us for a certificate to show testing stations / VOSA etc. There is also many cases of insurance companies asking for this type of certificate to prove the installation is correct and meets the standards.  I appreciate you saved a fortune (£500) but you insurers will cost you more if you have a claim and the seats have ripped out of the floor, they will walk away from it. They will do anything to get out of paying. We have tested the SmartFloor in every vehicle supplied in the UK to full M1 standards with a 100% success rate. If you want more info check the web link at the bottom and go to the SmartFloor section. The days of supplying and installing after market seats are diminishing quickly.

-------------
MAX c/o www.amf-bruns.de

Take note.....the Blue Moon's Rising.....

Posted By: Ian156
Date Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 20:06
Any info on fitting seatbelts in the 3rd row position? Keep hitting brick walls for my panel van.

-------------
Brian Vantana. 60% of the time it works everytime!

2012 Subaru Impreza with a roof rack and tinted windows
2006 Rio Kia5 1.6 with heated seats and a remote start.

Posted By: Jap
Date Posted: 20 Feb 10 at 16:22
SmileFozzy,
the drawings you show for retro fitting seats to a T5 are very interesting, are they from erwin?. Have 56 reg. T5 Transporter from which unsatisfactory camper sleeper etc. conversion i've removed, have T4 rear seats, 3 seat bench, 2 single rear seats with arm rests and all the bolts, including special mushroom VW bolts and seat belts, do you think the brackets mentioned in these drawings will allow me, or rather a recognized  pro, for reasons of insurance to install these. Talked to VW dealer this morning who found some of those numbers not  recognised, some where OK but in any event they are not immediately available in UK, as i'm in Chamonix in France now would order here, but would like to get correct reinforcements so chosen installer could get the work done ASAP. Maybe you may Know of possible list of French conversion companies.
All  help greatly appreciated,
Best Regards,
Jap
ps she's a LWB Transporter apparently code 7HHCO1 left hand sliding door with window and window opposite, metal panels at the rear. 

Posted By: Adimix
Date Posted: 01 May 10 at 02:00
Hello.

I have a question.

I bought original, rear, triple bench for my VW T5 Panel van T28 (2005 y).

I have org. seatbelts and brackets. My question is: It's possible to fit in them without any problems?

I mean without extra drilling or floor cutting?

-------------
T5 PanelVan 2.5, 130 BHP. Converted to a kombi...

Date Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 10:47
I had to drill holes for mine

-------------

Posted By: Ian156
Date Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 16:24
Originally posted by Adimix Adimix wrote:

Hello.

I have a question.

I bought original, rear, triple bench for my VW T5 Panel van T28 (2005 y).

I have org. seatbelts and brackets. My question is: It's possible to fit in them without any problems?

I mean without extra drilling or floor cutting?

Yes you have to drill holes in the floor for the seat rails to be bolted onto the chassis. Brackets are used on the underside of the floor to reinforce the areas around the rails. 

Once you strip off the plastic lining under the van you will see pre-drilled holes through one of the floor skins.

-------------
Brian Vantana. 60% of the time it works everytime!

2012 Subaru Impreza with a roof rack and tinted windows
2006 Rio Kia5 1.6 with heated seats and a remote start.

Posted By: Heathy65
Date Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 11:42
Are the schematics in this thread for a SWB or LWB T5?

What are the seat fixing positions available in a Kombi vs a Shuttle, as standard (i.e. which of the mounts shown are fitted in each variation)?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net