URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23286
Printed Date: 19 Apr 24 at 15:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Towing with T5
Posted By: simon bartlett
Subject: Towing with T5
Date Posted: 02 Feb 08 at 17:07

Hi all

I was wondering today how many of you out there tow a caravan with a T5.

We tow a large twin axel Avante 636. We tow probably 5000 mile a year including an annual trip to france and one to Holland.

Replies:
Date Posted: 02 Feb 08 at 17:09
Just another thought that van drivers are often hated by motorists but not as much as caravaners so I dont stand much chance of being liked towing a caravan with aT5.

Posted By: cord
Date Posted: 02 Feb 08 at 18:55

hi simon

this is our hated set up

and before being lowered

cordell

-------------
"do it in van"

Posted By: Hulkiebear
Date Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 19:12

Cord, that is bag out of order! Towing a rolling road block on such a trick T5!

On the subject of towing, I have towed a couple of trailers weighing upto 2500 kgs, and there has been a excessive smell of burning clutch (fish like)! But, I'm told this is normal in modern cars! Anyone else have this smell?

-------------
Kombi 174. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 19:29
Our caravan weighs getting on for 2 ton and is about 8m long and have had no trouble yet from the clutch. The only time you have a burning clutch is normally prolonged reversing.

-------------
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))

Date Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 19:31
Is it only me and cord who are sad caravaners then? Why is caravaning a no no but a campervan is cool?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 22:05

hi

i dont get any smells from the clutch,last year at vanfest i did not take the caravan  i took a 3 man tent it was terrible,it just does not fit in with the scene [caravan that is]

cordell

-------------
"do it in van"

Date Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 22:09

Last year we went into a tent in the mountains south of france, it was fun for one night but we was glad to get back in the caravan for a bit of room and comfort!

Whilst we were in the tent the kids slept in the rock and roll bed thing in the caravelle which they said was great, unfortunatly my wife wont sleep there because we have no curtains only tinted windows.

-------------

Posted By: starsKEY
Date Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 12:54

Hehehe:

Sorry, cant upload the pic direct but:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihatesatnav/1688237519/ - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihatesatnav/1688237519/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihatesatnav/1504218449/ - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihatesatnav/1504218449/

Its a cracker...

-------------
Its not Aircooled, It's Airconditioned.

Posted By: Onefut
Date Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 13:02
weve got a 17ft adria optima an its pulls it ded easy

hope to use the c-van a bit more this year

altho i have to say i hate comin up behind c-vans on the road as most wont pull over to allow overtaking

Date Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 21:33

HI STARSKEY

lot of elbow grease used there ! [to clean caravan ]

cordell

-------------
"do it in van"

Posted By: orangina
Date Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 22:17

Okay I'll 'fess up - I've got a tiny, 10 ft, two berth Compass Shadow which, once a year, I tow down to Newgale in Pembs and it acts as my base for about 7 - 8 months.

It smaller than the T5 so the only trouble I have when towing it is remembering that it's on the back...

It has to be said that no one can ever accuse me of holding up the traffic when I'm pulling my caravan  

-------------

Posted By: aledw
Date Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 22:17

Not quite a caravan... Kayaks are 18 feet long.

Trailer

Posted By: orangina
Date Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 22:24

Blooming eck, you sure you got enough kayaks there Aled?

Glad to see you've got them all wrapped up - you don't want them getting wet do you? 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 23:19
ever hear of overloading

Posted By: kernow
Date Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 23:45

Hi Aled

thats  lot of sea kayaks on there , but nothing like overloaded at abouT3kg each.

What make are they , I guess you must make or sell them .

I tow a boat that wieghs about 1300kg , its great behind the T5

but you know its there behind my old ford maverick that i usually use for launching .

-------------
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them

Date Posted: 06 Feb 08 at 18:40
Originally posted by cord cord wrote:

HI STARSKEY

lot of elbow grease used there ! [to clean caravan ]

cordell

No elbow grease was harmed in the cleaning of that caravan! If you look again, the green stuff is on the other side....

And I jetwashed it after a liberal dousing of bike cleaner, which took the aging paint off. Handy, as that was the look I was going for.

I'm pretty sure its touring days are over. We are currently using it as a site van for brewing up and eating cake whiilst the real workers crack on with building our house.  Its good for that, though I have slept in it a few times, the other half is less keen.

-------------

Posted By: T5 TDI
Date Posted: 07 Feb 08 at 17:50
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

Is it only me and cord who are sad caravaners then? Why is caravaning a no no but a campervan is cool?

Me too.  I tow a caravan that weighs about a ton and I make a point of never holding anyone up   The 174 is so good up hills that I rarely even have to change down.  On motorway hills people often pull out to pass asuming I'll slow down and hold them up...  Haha! 

-------------
2004 2.5 174

Date Posted: 07 Feb 08 at 19:08

Campervan Cool ?

I think  Only a  VW campervan is considered cool isn't it ?

Big ugly coachbuilt campers are nearly as bad as caravans

they are all rolling roadblocks that are a total pain down here in Cornwall during the summer .

I think part of the problem is caravans and big campers are too often towed and driven by incapable drivers with far too small a towing vehicle . You only have to listen to any summer traffic report to work that out its so often a caravan accident that brings the country to a halt.

-------------
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them

Posted By: crispycritter
Date Posted: 07 Feb 08 at 23:46
Cant believe im reading this. I cant believe your all saying that you are van lovers yet your bolting the automotive equivalent of a ball and chain to your babies!

Date Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 15:08

its a good place to keep the other babies an the missus when on holiday
stops em gettin wet when it rains

Posted By: motoYAKA
Date Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 18:16
Originally posted by aledw aledw wrote:

Not quite a caravan... Kayaks are 18 feet long.

Trailer

Thats more like it  - got to be better than looking at them bloody caravans

(Adding ball and chain )

-------------
-------- Life's a trip - take a paddle! --------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 20:26

Dont think of it as a ball and chain. Think of it more as a home from home with running hot and cold water, shower, toilet, tv, sky satalite on the roof, comfortable beds, gas bbq and central heating. All of this and you get to stay in some of the most beautifull places in europe all for £20 per night for the whole family.

Now all you caravan haters tell me that doesnt sound good, I think you will all be trading in the T5's for caravans.

-------------

Posted By: T5 TDI
Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 15:36

-------------
2004 2.5 174

Posted By: Ex-car bloke
Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 17:26

all for £20 per night for the whole family.

Plus the cost of the caravan, which probably works out at more like a few hundred £ per night in reality. . .

Hey, each to their own, but having a caravan holiday is one of my ideas of hell.  But rather than just saying the "I hate caravans", which actually I don't (live and let live I say), I thought I'd give the views of a non-caravanner.

For me a travelling holiday is about "travelling light" and getting away from such things as the kitchen sink, central heating and especially satellite TV for Gods sake!  Van trips are also for me about spontaneity, being able to go anywhere, any time, so having to pre-book and pre plan routes each day/night is not my idea of fun.  For me van safaris are also about getting away from it all, including other people if at all possible.  I prefer to avoid campsites altogether but the idea of having to stay in a caravan site in a little regimented neatly trimmed spot with its little hedges, dozens of neighbours and list of rules makes me shudder.  Not my idea of "getting away from it all", at all!

The great thing about the T5 is that you can pack all your stuff inside and  go more or less where you want when you want.  Why one would want to attach a huge white plastic house on wheels to it is a mystery to me and a waste of good money.

But as I said live and let live, each to their own etc.  Just don't try telling us that we should all see the light and that caravanning is true freedom or outdoor adventure, or whatever the caravan adverts are saying these days, because it's surely anything but, for lots of reasons.  And certainly don't try to tell us it's cheap.

Why not go away in the van and stay in hotels?  What can caravaning offer that that cannot?

I will stand to be corrected on any of my points!

-------------
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van

Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 17:48

Hotels cannot offer my children the freedom to play and explore. They get up in the mornings have a quick wash and dress and they are out playing on their bikes, now you cant do that in a hotel. I do realise though that one persons pleasure is another mans hell, everyone being different is what makes life fun.

If everyone liked the same things we would all be driving ford  transits. Now thats not a nice thought!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 18:49

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

CORDELL

-------------
"do it in van"

Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 19:44
Nice looking van cord, I bet lots of people ask you about the van on caravan sites. I guess you have no trouble with camp sites turning you away just because you have a van. I like the mirrors but my wife thinks they are too bling.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 20:24

Iam with you ECB

Best travelling I have ever done was by sea kayak , the more days I go without seeing other people the better .

i like touring on the bike too but the van and a tent is good for the family . or a boat and tent when we get the chance and the weather .

I guess if I lived in a citty then a caravan would be good for getting away during the winter . We did try a caravan for a season but found it very limiting , especially on british roads .

Hopefully off to some scottish islands this summer and a few weekends on the isles of scilly in the boat , again weather permitting .

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 20:55

thanks for that simon, i have never had any troublegetting on sites but i have heard of people who have had trouble.not very happy with the quality of the chrome mirror covers,the salt they put on the roads has pitted the chrome [plastic].as for towing its normally cars that hold me up and i actually enjoy the towing bit

cordell

-------------
"do it in van"

Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 21:43

It is very rare for us to tow and not be held up by a car infront going slow, certainly on most roads we are doing at least the speed limit ( conditons permiting ) but the cars behind only see the caravan and not the slow car infront.

If you have a good capable tow car and a confident, experience driver there is no reason why towing a caravan should affect the journey at all ( except you cannot do 90mph ( well in France you can do 80mph) ). It is drivers who are afraid of towing that give caravans a bad name.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 23:58

It is very rare for us to tow and not be held up by a car infront going slow, certainly on most roads we are doing at least the speed limit ( conditons permiting ) but the cars behind only see the caravan and not the slow car infront.

If you have a good capable tow car and a confident, experience driver there is no reason why towing a caravan should affect the journey at all ( except you cannot do 90mph ( well in France you can do 80mph) ). It is drivers who are afraid of towing that give caravans a bad name.

I think you are dead right there simon so many caravans are towed by incapable drivers with incapable cars , and that does give them a bad name .

The road seems full of poor drivers and you notice it more when you are driving a big vehicle or towing or especially riding a bike . If the police had powers to sort out the slow car that holds up traffic etc then i believe they would reduce accidents as well as congestion.

-------------

Posted By: Ex-car bloke
Date Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 08:42

Hotels cannot offer my children the freedom to play and explore. They get up in the mornings have a quick wash and dress and they are out playing on their bikes, now you cant do that in a hotel. I do realise though that one persons pleasure is another mans hell, everyone being different is what makes life fun.

If everyone liked the same things we would all be driving ford  transits. Now thats not a nice thought!

Fair comment.  I guess in some respects it's a good compromise and if the kids love ot then that's a great thing.  I have to say that as a kid I'd have probably loved caravanning, I must admit.

As I said I wasn't knocking caravanners, just giving my opinion.

-------------
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van

Date Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 12:29
My Kids love the caravan they play in it even when not on holiday think we paid £1500 for it about 4 yrs ago its probably worth aboutt he same now
altho ares aint as posh as most it has hot & cold water but the shower is rubbish. The loo is great for the kids at night time
An with an awning on, even if the weather is bad they have lotta of room

the first time i towed the caravan with the van i couldnt get over how easy it was an how many cars i caught up to even on the windy single track roads up here

an i agree with you Kernow u see all the idiots when u r on the bike I know ive been hit by one or two

Date Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 12:34
OH sweet van by the way cord

wish i had some spare dosh to throw at mine

itd be pimp my ride extreme

Date Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 12:49

hi onefut

thanks for that,my only regret is not going bigger with the wheels,they are 18s would have liked 20s but was thinking about ride quality,towing,and of course price of tyres[ £100 extra per wheel].just my luck to pull out of tyre depot and run over a nail and scrap the tyre

cordell

-------------
"do it in van"

Posted By: Briancal44
Date Posted: 25 Feb 08 at 14:22
hi all, we own a T5 130 9 seat. We tow a tin axle Lunar Quasar 615 with no problems at all. Outfit is T5, caravan, 2 adults, 7 kids, and 1 dog ( and no we are not pykies ! )

Date Posted: 25 Feb 08 at 14:37
hi all, we own a T5 130 9 seat. We tow a tin axle Lunar Quasar 615 with no problems at all. Outfit is T5, caravan, 2 adults, 7 kids, and 1 dog ( and no we are not pykies ! )

Posted By: motoYAKA
Date Posted: 25 Feb 08 at 15:29

Originally posted by Briancal44 Briancal44 wrote:

7 kids.....    

No satellite TV then? Or no TV at all????

Parents have a caravan and I constantly rib them about it. But they enjoy it, for them it's chance to get away from it all in comfort without being tied to a hotel at the destination.

It's just not for me  I'll stick to kipping in the T5

-------------
-------- Life's a trip - take a paddle! --------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 08 at 16:24
nope, no satellite tv. have tv but dont use it much. Ilike hotels too but when your taking 7 kids it gets a little too expensive haha

Date Posted: 25 Feb 08 at 21:31

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 08 at 21:35

This is our Caravelle 174 with Elddis Avante 636VW Caravelle and Elddis 636" border="0" alt=" http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/simonbartlett/?action=view&current=simons015.jpg">VW Caravelle and Elddis 636 " />

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 08 at 21:40

Sorry I am new to all this pic posting this is the front viewvw elddis" border="0" />" border="0" align="middle" />

-------------

Posted By: Dibz
Date Posted: 26 Feb 08 at 11:57
that's a sizable house you are towing there, that's impressive!!

although i think you need to re-address the balance between how blingy the alloys on the c'van are compared to your velle

Date Posted: 26 Feb 08 at 12:52
Your right I would love some new alloys as these standard one stick out past the tyres so my lovely wife keeps kerbing them. They have got to the stage where I no longer even moan at her. When I have saved some pennies they will be changed.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 08 at 18:50

Simon, is that the official VW bike rack you have on there?

Any good? Any chance you can send me some pics please? I'm looking to use of on these in the summer. Bit dubios though, as I have some pretty expensive bikes and will be having the odd nap in laybys!

Dibz beat me to the wheels comment. I've always thought that a caravan that is painted to match the tow vehicle would look pretty trick, though I have seen a silver caravan and it looked pretty shady.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 08 at 21:32
Yes that is the VW bike rack it is very expensive compared to the fiamma but I think it is worth it as it lives  on the back of the bus all the time and looks much better than the cheaper ones. It is very secure with the bikes on and isn't going to fall off. It comes with a locking handle for the third bike but if anyone tried hard the could probably take the bikes but it is a deterent. I have only had three bikes on it even though it does take four but I think you would have to fold the handle bars. I will take a pic if I get time.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 08 at 21:55

Pikeys colour match thier caravans don't they , and fairground pikeys they are the slowest of the lot

alloys on a caravan

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 08 at 18:21
yer just jealous

Posted By: Shamrockez
Date Posted: 28 Feb 08 at 19:25

I've just asked Steve and he said that Widget (174 swb) tows well

So far towed 2 Beetles and one Splitty with him - and no complaints

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 08 at 20:34
Steady now splitties and beetles were never meant to move that fast

-------------

Posted By: Shamrockez
Date Posted: 28 Feb 08 at 21:27
 actually when my Dad bought the 2nd red Bug down to my house from my parents house, he was (rather irresponsibly) doing about 80mph towing with our Landy when the Bug's bonnet flew open - I think he was scared and screaming

-------------

Posted By: JCSM
Date Posted: 28 Feb 08 at 21:53
Love the pics guys..........awesome work

Posted By: DOGSBREATH
Date Posted: 29 Feb 08 at 15:27
T5s towing a splitty if fine, T5s towing boats and sports stuff is fine, T5s towing caravans is just wrong.........Shit, joe public will lump us in with volvo owners next.

Posted By: MultiplexMan
Date Posted: 29 Feb 08 at 18:59

Simon,

Do you find the rear of the van sags with the fully loaded bike rack on the back and when towing?  Enough to require adjusting your headlights? 

And yes, I too hate the VW Miyato alloys.  Who ever thought of designing an alloy wheel that are so convex that the spokes hit the ground if you drop a wheel on its face.  Go on, ask me how I know...

Shamrockez,
I reckon the "Cobra" stripes work on the T5 - very nice
The splitty wins on looks - just fantastic

Posted By: bean
Date Posted: 29 Feb 08 at 19:06
the same twat who designed the sportline borbet wheels, an absolute nightmare to clean!!!

Date Posted: 29 Feb 08 at 19:21

Hi multiplex

Even with the large chavavan on the back and the bike rack I dont notice the back end droping at all. Looking back at the pics above it does look slightly lower at the back but its not at all noticable when driving, I have never needed to adjust the lights.

Shamrockez those stripes are great I just wish I had the right colour bus so I could have some. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Feb 08 at 22:11
Originally posted by bean bean wrote:

the same twat who designed the sportline borbet wheels, an absolute nightmare to clean!!!

im sorry could you please explain what this "clean" thing is

Posted By: shogun2
Date Posted: 01 Mar 08 at 12:37
My ultimate tow for the odd trip out bush would be one of these:
http://www.pioneercampers.com.au/?page=onyx
Can't afford to buy one, but the hire is only $70 per day - I think this equates to about UK30 (can't find the pound sign)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net