The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power steering woes, 2.5TDI Auto.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering woes, 2.5TDI Auto.
    Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 18:22
OK, so wife jumped in the Caravelle first thing today and the steering was stupidly heavy, plenty of fluid, no bubbles in fluid, AC working fine. So I figured that despite pump shaft turning, it must be screwed internally. Took the pump off and it was very difficult to turn by hand, really graunchy, so new pump fitted this afternoon, it was perfect for about 5 minutes, now heavy as again. Pump back off, and pump feels smooth and easy to turn. So I'm wondering if part of the original pump has found it's way into the rack? Or is there a release valve in the pump that's jammed again by debris from the old pump? I have no way of knowing if the old pump had actually broken up internally, but it was certainly not pumping despite the shaft turning, and it was very notchy. 
Are all T5 steering racks the same? Ours is a Caravelle Executive. How bad is it to do a rack change? Has anyone been here before?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 22:32
I wouldn't discard the possibility of a dodgy new pump. There are quite a few around.  I fitted an ebay pump and it made a horrible noise from first start.  To my horror when I took it back off this fell out!

It is possible that something like that has got into the rack I suppose but it's worth making sure that the oil supply pipe from the reservoir isn't blocked/collapsed which could have starved the old pump damaging it and possibly the new one.    
2004 2.5 174
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 22:38
The pump was a Shaftec brand, reconditioned in the UK I believe, I've seen enough of their stuff about. I was warned away from the cheap (£60ish) 'New' pumps that are floating about on ebay. It looks and feels spot on. 
Figuring that any debris from a broken pump, if there was any, would end up downstream of the pump and on it's way into the rack, I've spent the evening dropping the rack. That was fun. Not.
First thing tomorrow I'll see if I can get a replacement rack. I've dumped some more fresh fluid into the reservoir and fired it up with the rack disconnected, that should I hope clear the pipe from pump to rack, I'll also disconnect all pipes in the morning at the pump end and blow compressed air through, just to cover all bases. Can't think of much else I can do. 

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 22:56
I've used Shaftec CV joints which were all ok (apart from the CV boots which last about 2 years) but I didn't know they were doing pumps now.  Mind you, who knows who is making what these days when half the stuff is made elsewhere and re-branded.  Good luck for tomorrow.. Smile  
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply