The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power steering retrofit and engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjDemonD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering retrofit and engine
    Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 09:46
Hi Guys,

Might I ask a technical question?

I have a 1990 carb 2.4 petrol lt35 4 speed without power steering. I have access to a 1993 LT28 with fuel injected 2.4 petrol 5 speed box and power steering to take parts from.

The engine/gear box I don't think will be too much of a problem. Does anyone know if I definitely need the gear lever and linkage assembly from the 5 speed in order to use this box on my van originally a 4 speed?

Re. the power steering I assume it would fit onto my lt35? The list of parts for the power steering is the pump + pulley, belt, hoses, reservoir (possibly part of the pump), the steering box? I'm just checking I'm not missing anything.

Many thanks for your wisdom in advance.

Does anyone know anything about the fuel injected 2.4 petrol? Like the engine code?

Simon.
1990 VW LT 35 2.4 petrol Camper converted
Muche View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 19:57
I think the diffrent betwen 5 and 4 speed gearbox are that the 5 speed only have a lower first gear.. I think 5 on the 5 speed gearbox is 1:1 and on the 4 gear box is number 4   1:1 the same...
if you understand my bad english...so to change from 4 to 5 speed gearbox...dont do any lower revs in top speed.... am I right?
grahamthemaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamthemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 20:13

youre right Muche, 4th on the 4 speed box is the same as 5th on the 5 speed . I have  the 4 speed box and it pulls well in 4th from about 30mph. not up hill of course!!

Didnt know they did the 2.4 petrol with fuel injection??
1984 LT 31 2.4 petrol.bit slow but sounds great!
Muche View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 20:23
Didnt know they did the 2.4 petrol with fuel injection??

I know...I just bought one...LT31-1992  (To take the electricsystem for my LT 45) and It have fuel injection... I hope someone want to buy the motor....with powersteering and gasoline heater...

The gearbox I will take for spare for my LT ...

To bad I live long way from you people...in the lake......

I´m from Stockholm, Sweden....
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 23:02
Hi,

further to the above re gearing - my studies revealed the same, 1:1 in top for both 4 and 5 speed. However, you mention that you have access to an LT28 - did you know the rear axle ratio in a standard LT28 is 4.44, lower than the standard LT31 and LT35 (4.875)? The lower the rear axle ratio, the higher the final gearing at the wheels, so if you could fit the LT28 axle you would get better economy due to lower engine revs at a given cruising speed. Disadvantage is slower acceleration but hey, what does it matter when your in the realms of 0-60 in 35 secs?!! If you also fitted the 5 sp 'box, that would give you a lower first, thus giving better pulling power (e.g. steep hills, towing) to compensate for the higher gearing of the LT28 axle.

You may have propshaft issues - not sure if the axles are externally the same, but I guess you can compare if you have both vehicles. Assuming they're the same wheelbase there shouldn't be an issue in transplanting the whole drivetrain.

You can find all the axle specs in the manuals on the "Rabbitsonthemoon" site (see links if you're not already familiar) - I found the info in the 4 speed gearbox & final drive manual - pages 6 &7.

Regards,
Peter.
DjDemonD View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjDemonD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 09 at 08:57
Thanks for the info guys. I think on balance since the gearbox ratios in top gear are the same I will probably leave my 4 speed box in the LT35, just adding the injected engine and powersteering gear.  That way nothing changes except I have a little bit better engine which should be slightly better on fuel and slightly more powerful given it is injected instead of carburetted. This will save me having to transplant the linkage which I am sure is more trouble than it first appears. I will keep the 5 speed box and linkage as a spare or to sell perhaps.

Now to put my mind to an LPG setup to work with a digifant equipped fuel injected engine.

grahamthemaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamthemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 09 at 09:06
Does anyone know how much extra power you get with the newer injection engine????
1984 LT 31 2.4 petrol.bit slow but sounds great!
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 09 at 18:43
Originally posted by DjDemonD DjDemonD wrote:

Now to put my mind to an LPG setup to work with a digifant equipped fuel injected engine.

Hi Dj, do you have any pics of the engine/injection setup? I also didn't know they did an injection system for the LT - my ambulance has a 2.4 petrol engine with standard carb setup - wonder whether I could retro-fit an injection system, and which VW vehicles it would've been fitted to - doubt I'd come across many scrap LTs with petrol injection!

If you could post a couple of pics I'd be grateful.

Cheers,
Peter.
DjDemonD View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjDemonD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 09 at 20:20
Hi, as soon as I have this engine in my clutches photos will be forthcoming. The injected engine I believe is mentioned in the technical manuals under 6-cylinder petrol as engine code 1E. It uses the  digifant fuel injection system which I believe was also used by mk II golfs amongst others im sure.

Muche View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 09 at 19:33
Here is picture of my "donator" LT -1992 with injection... and the box (Digifant) system.

coopster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 19 at 23:12
I know this post was ages ago - but I am currently looking at buying a 1994 LT31 Florida with the 2.4 1E injected engine - Do you have any information on the injection system as I am trying to find someone to install a LPG  systemand most companies I have spoke to want information on the injection system.
thanks
Chris
Muche View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 19 at 23:14
I think I have one book about the digifant system....but I must find it first

LT 45 -1985 with V70TDI-99, 140 BHP!!
coopster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 19 at 19:35
Thanks Muche
Dj DemonD - If any of the companies get back to me about the LPG I'll post on here
 Post Reply Post Reply