The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power steering pump hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering pump hot
    Posted: 24 Jun 17 at 16:46
Hi,

My power steering pump was getting noisy and I replaced it a couple of weeks ago.  I also changed the short, high pressure pipe that connects the pump to the line that goes all the way to the front.  I initially bought a new one from Brickwerks but foolishly stripped thread on it.  I got a local hydraulic shop make me a new one reusing the banjo connector from the one I broke.

I then went camping and as we travelled the pump was getting noisier and eventually the rack started making noise too.  The pump and fluid were getting very hot so I took the belt off and got home without PAS.  When I drained the fluid there were bits of metal in it...  I thought the rack must have had it so I bought a new one and yesterday replaced pretty much the entire steering system:

* new rack and rods
* new pump (didn't want to chance the last one)
* new lines back to front
* new filter
* filled with correct dexron ATF fluid

Most parts came from Brickwerks.

I just came back from a test drive and the pump is still getting. pretty hot.  I could barely hold my hand on it after 20 minute drive.  The fluid was getting warm too.   Is this normal?

I'm now quite suspicious of the pipe the local guys made me.  They put a restrictor in it, like the original had, but it looks a bit different from the outside (it's much shorter).  Could it be the pipe is too restricted?

My old pulley is a bit wonky, although not tragic.  I don't think that could cause overheating though.

I'm supposed to drive up to Scotland tomorrow for a weeding so it's a bit of a bummer.  Any ideas highly appreciated.  I'm going back in the shed to try and find my old pipe, which doesn't have a restrictor at all (that's why I replaced it in the first place) and try that.

Edited by akw - 25 Jun 17 at 22:29
'90 T3 Bluestar
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 17 at 21:05
I put the old pipe back on and went for a 40min drive.  The pump is still getting hot but it doesn't seem tragic.  I can just about hold my hand on it.  Perhaps I'm just being paranoid.  I don't quite remember what was it's normal temperature before.

How hot does the pump normally get?
'90 T3 Bluestar
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 09:20
Have you had front in the air and gone lock to lock to get all the air out the system?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 10:02
Yeah, I think I've done it pretty much by the book. 

Front in the air, lock to lock few times with engine off.  Engine on and immediately off, top up fluid.  Repeat until fluid level steady.  Let the engine idle for a bit, few more lock to locks with engine on.

Other than the pump being a bit hot (which may be normal?) everything seems ok.  Steering is nice and light, no noises from the pump/rack.
'90 T3 Bluestar
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 20:13
I took my chances and started heading up north today.  Did around 3 hours driving and I'm currently camped near Leicester. 

On motorway speeds both the pump and the rack are getting pretty hot.   I can barely hold my hand on it for more than few secs.  It seems too hot for me.   It's a bit cooler when going slowly around the b roads keeping the revs down as much as possible.

If someone with PAS in their t3 could have a look at theirs after a long-ish drive and let me know how hot it feels I would really appreciate it so at least I have a vague reference.

I will be passing near Brickwerks tomorrow.  Might pop in and get a new, straight pulley just to rule that out but I'm clenching at straws.

Thanks,
Andrew
'90 T3 Bluestar
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 20:26
I'll check mine next time I go for a spin. Can't see why it would should get that hot though?
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 22:12
Thanks.

I just had a look inside the fluid reservoir and there are fine bits of shiny metal in it... Something is grinding itself to an early death.  I'm guessing it's the pump.  I took the belt off and will have to continue without it...

I have not idea why this happened.  I replaced pretty much everything and was very careful to keep it all super clean and bleed the system properly.

The only parts I didn't replace are:
 * pulley (it is not very straight - could this be killing my pumps?)
 * pipe between reservoir and pump (had it made new 2 years ago so should be fine)

Could also be a bad batch of pumps? 
'90 T3 Bluestar
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 00:34
Ok, I think I might have found what I've done wrong:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shim-t3-diesel-pas-pulley.html

It says the shim goes between the pulley and the pump.  I put it between the two sides of the pulley along with another shim that was there. 

I don't have the Bentley with me but if someone could post up a picture of the pump diagram page to confirm that would be awesome.   I can get yet another pump and pulley from brickwerks when I pass by there tomorrow. 

'90 T3 Bluestar
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 08:46
Found the Bentley diagram but it looks like petrol bracketry so it doesn't have the shim on there.
'90 T3 Bluestar
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 17 at 16:24
So... I put in the new pump and a new pulley. 

As far as the shim goes, it looks like an error on the website.  Those shims must go between the two half's of the pulley.  I have four in there: two thin and two thicker.  I need all four to be able to put the belt back on.  I bought extra one and fitted between pump and pulley just in case but don't think that makes any difference.

I managed to drive back from Scotland all the way to Bournemouth with no ill effects although both the pump and the rack were getting a bit hot. 

On arrival I inspected the fluid in the reservoir.  Still found a few tiny metallic bits (they are so small that are pretty hard to see) but it looks cleaner than before.  I flushed the system when fitting the new pump but maybe not all of it came out.   Could be that it's just the new pump/rack "running in"?

I'm considering putting a magnetic filter on the return line to catch those.

ob1, did you manage to have a look at yours?  Would be interesting to see how hot others get, especially after a bit of motorway driving.
'90 T3 Bluestar
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 17 at 20:16
Ha. Will do vans been off the road sticking on a new turbo then the gearbox mount bushing failed. Will check asap.
 Post Reply Post Reply