The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power steering conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering conversion
    Posted: 04 Mar 09 at 09:07
Is it possible to retro fit PAS to an 85 T3?

I've just bought a Gipsy and it is a little heavy for the missus to steer!  Compared to the Bluestar that we've got its like a tank and I wondered if its possible to install it on the Gipsy.

If I can, is it easy to source the bits and what sort of cost are we looking at?

Cheers

Aspo
Drop in late but show up early
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 09 at 19:37
Fitting power steering to your van is a relatively simple and straight forward exercise. Obtaining a right or left hand drive power steering rack will be the only hurdle. They are about, however available at a price.  NW_VW is flogging a RHD kit at £ 750 in the for sale section. LHD seem to be available at a slightly more acceptable price.

I paid £ 350 for a pump, reservoir, reconditioned rack but no pipe work about 3 years ago. Spent another £ 80 on hydraulic hose and fluid.

Took a day for me to fit. I'd say it was the best mod I have completed on the van. I have 235mm tyres and a Gti steering wheel and turning at low speed is a piece of piss.   
I BOOKED MY TICKET TO HELL ALONG TIME AGO.
lister View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 18:23
I would contact ZF uk direct i've been told they are more reasonably priced from them
Big red bus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 19:57
LHd set up for sale on 80-90 . Cheap aswell at £450 for complete lot.
Skeeb View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
t4 guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 20:42
Originally posted by lister lister wrote:

I would contact ZF uk direct i've been told they are more reasonably priced from them

ZF   !!!   PPHHH !!!   TRW is the way to go man !!!!
BCS Welsh massive
From Skeebville Nr Swansea
BCS shortest shortboarder 2006 ---
BCS Crap Surfer of the year 2007 !!!
BCS winner of nothing 2008 :(
BCS winner of nothing 2009 :(
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 10:13
Thanks for letting me know there's one for sale, I've checked and he says its for petrol engines, not diesels? Don't know whether it matters and presume its to do with the pulleys that power the pump?

Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between ZF and the other one mentioned please cos I haven't a clue.

Ta
Skeeb View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
t4 guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 12:52
Originally posted by Aspo13 Aspo13 wrote:

Thanks for letting me know there's one for sale, I've checked and he says its for petrol engines, not diesels? Don't know whether it matters and presume its to do with the pulleys that power the pump?

Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between ZF and the other one mentioned please cos I haven't a clue.

Ta

They both manufacture power steering gears/systems as well as other automotive parts - i work for TRW so ZF is one of our competitors! thats all
BCS Welsh massive
Ron.Jeremy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron.Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 19:22
Did TRW make the T3 rack? Original T3 racks are made by ZF ?

I contacted ZF UK and they told the T3 power rack is now obsolete. I've got a LHD rack that needs re-con and JX Td pump/pulley/brackets if you are interested? Also WBX pulley/pump available.PM please.

Edited by Ron.Jeremy - 06 Mar 09 at 19:24
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 22:06
I converted both my rhd petrol t3 and lhd diesel t3 to electric powered column from a vauxhaul. Well worth the trouble and I now dont know how I managed with heavy standard stearing.
If you are ever in bristol give me a shout for a test drive. The system I built is also road speed sensitive so you only get power when parking or moving slowly.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
ben50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 13:00
Hi Tim,

how easy is the electric conversion? Sounds like an interesting/cheaper way to go. might it be easier for an air cooled T3?

Cheers,

Ben
Skeeb View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
t4 guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 17:16
Originally posted by Ron.Jeremy Ron.Jeremy wrote:

Did TRW make the T3 rack? Original T3 racks are made by ZF ?

i'm not saying TRW made the steering gear - i was just 'knocking' ZF - thats all
BCS Welsh massive
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 19:27
Electric power steering conversion is very straight forward to install. I need to order some more parts to build road speed sensor. The kit is a diy job if you have good mechanical knowledge. If not I can build and fit the kit for you. No probs for air cooled.

A shot of work in progress
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 22:50
RJES have almost finished their bolt on electric power steering kit.
Check out RJES here
I'm not sure if Richard has posted anything up on the website on this yet but he's a very helpful chap over the phone and it's well worth a phonecall.
MG
Skeeb View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
t4 guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 23:41
has anyone had one of these 'column asisst' conversions and run them for a significant amount of time/mileage????????????
BCS Welsh massive
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 10:41
By column assist, do you mean an electric powered column?
As above I have fitted them to both of my vans and am awaiting parts to build a few more set ups for some of the local t3 owners.
Well worth having.
I drove a non assisted van the other day and couldn't believe how heavy std steering is when parking.
The parts are easily swapped from std to assisted.
I have been running mine for 6 months now.
Tim

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Big red bus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 12:12

Do you have any rough ideas of the cost to put this power steering  onto a van? Also what do you charge to make them up and fit if you are interested in doing  that. Thanks,

Dan.
Skeeb View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
t4 guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 12:45
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

By column assist, do you mean an electric powered column?

Yep - electric column asisst....
BCS Welsh massive
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 13:02
I estimate the cost to build and fit epas (electric power assisted steering) to be about £400 with road speed sensing included.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 21:30
All sounds good to me, but because I struggle to wire up the back lights on a bus can you give me a quick run down on the differences between the 'normal' PAS and the version that you've come up with.

Really want it on the bus just need to get my head round how it works!

Thanks
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 22:57
Factory vw PAS has a hydraulic pump mounted to the engine with hoses running to the front of the van which join to the hydraulic power rack.
epas is a powered steering column that uses a motor directly onto the steering column, no hydraulic lines, no pumps no oil. Just wires a motor and an ecu.
The ecu collects info from sensors fitted to the vehicle and give assistance at low speed when the engine is running and the battery has enough power to drive the motor.
I hope this gives a slight insight.
Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>