The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pop Top Roof - Which one??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 10:03
These do have masses of room, but they look a bit ugly(in my opinion) a bit like the old viking roofs!!
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 10:29
I'm getting my Reimo fitted in 2 weeks time, just ready for the Easter weekend when we're taking the van camping.  If all goes well the plan is to tour down to Rome in September, with lots of stops along the way.  Kewl!
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 11:19
Well done matey! Pop-tops are definatly the way forward. Just out of interest how much are they charging you?
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 12:50
Originally posted by DanB DanB wrote:

Well done matey! Pop-tops are definatly the way forward. Just out of interest how much are they charging you?

<cough> Too much.

A little less than £5k all in but for that I'm getting the roof (with built in bed, colour coded), a mains hook up for my Leisure Battery, new LED internal lighting and a complete interior carpet job as well.    So I'm happy with that.

Once that's all done I only need to add curtains and she's ready to camp in!
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 13:07
We went for Maxine at http://www.maddubbers.co.uk/  we met at a show last year and her poducts looked the busines. She made us 4 normal cusions, 2 rolls and 2 side curtains fior £80. Bargain!! It totally transforms the look of the bus
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 14:38
Nice one.  How easy to fit and use are they?
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 17:45
BBB, well done mate, you will NOT regret it, it opens up a whole world of space for your touring.  £5k sounds like a decent price for what you got.  Happy holidays!!
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 10:57
Anyone using an SCA elevating roof on a T5?

I had a chance to compare one of them directly with a Reimo roof recently (over at Jerba funnily enough Ex-car bloke) and the quality seemed even better. The design is neater when closed, particularly at the front, and it seems manufactured to the same if not better standard. Similar price to the Reimo.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 13:46
Originally posted by a11y a11y wrote:

Anyone using an SCA elevating roof on a T5?

I had a chance to compare one of them directly with a Reimo roof recently (over at Jerba funnily enough Ex-car bloke) and the quality seemed even better. The design is neater when closed, particularly at the front, and it seems manufactured to the same if not better standard. Similar price to the Reimo.

And slightly better headroom too, as I recall.

Simon at Jerba said the quality of either was recommended by him, and that he originally got the SCA type in because they offered him  the option of hinging at front or rear (unlike Reimo which are rear hinge only).

To tell you the truth I can't remember why I went for Reimo in  the end rather than SCA, I vagually recall it was just down to availabilty at the time but I certainly agree with you that the quality of SCA looked excellent if not better, as you say.
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 15:11
Thanks. Yep, Simon at Jerba still offers both the Reimo and the SCA, but seems to favour the SCA (on LWB vans at least) so that's what we're going with - rear-hinged. Didn't know about the difference in headroom but that's nice to know being 6'1.

(BTW, that signature pic is stunning - that's my definition of camping)

Edited by a11y - 11 Mar 10 at 15:13
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 15:53
Originally posted by a11y a11y wrote:

(BTW, that signature pic is stunning - that's my definition of camping)

Ally, it's on the Isle of Harris, Uig Sands - you must visit when you get your new roof! 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 09:15
Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

I certainly agree with you that the quality of SCA looked excellent if not better, as you say.

Now you tell me!  Cry

I think I did look at SCA when doing my research and there was a good reason why I decided not to go with it.  It might be due to distance - are there any SCA fitters in the south of England?   If they only are available up in Scotland that would be a good reason not to use them...
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 09:30
Ha, makes a change from us up north having few choices when it comes to conversions...

I guessed it was the north west coast or the islands. We camped on a beach on Harris too but don't think it was Uig Sands. Looking forward to more comfort in the van (at the expense of less fun driving the roads compared to my old car Embarrassed).

DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 11:44
Originally posted by BlackBeltBlakey BlackBeltBlakey wrote:

Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

I certainly agree with you that the quality of SCA looked excellent if not better, as you say.

Now you tell me!  Cry

I think I did look at SCA when doing my research and there was a good reason why I decided not to go with it.  It might be due to distance - are there any SCA fitters in the south of England?   If they only are available up in Scotland that would be a good reason not to use them...
We were chatting to the guys from Torbay conversions(in Torquay) and they said they can do SCA roof, same price as reimo, but they can take some longer to be delivered. Also they provide a courtesy car when they convert yours!

T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 12:45
Originally posted by BlackBeltBlakey BlackBeltBlakey wrote:

Now you tell me!  Cry

Don't worry mate, there was really nothing in it and to be honest I felt more comfortable with Reimo simply on the basis that I was familiar with the track record of the brand.  I've certainly had no cause for complaint since the roof went in. 
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 14:49
I just remembered something a came across a few weeks ago when I was researching roofs: a bloke who's Reimo roof failed a bit when carrying kayaks on roofbars on a roof. Sounds like an isolated incident, but it meant I wasn't too unhappy when a SCA roof was suggested to me...

http://simon-willis.blogspot.com/2009/11/vw-t5-campervan-and-sea-kayaking-pt1.html

http://simon-willis.blogspot.com/2009/11/vw-t5-campervan-and-sea-kayaking-pt2.html
marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 09:33
I noticed from their blog that the new roof had a plastic wind deflector. is that a new roof design or only for LWB?
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 09:42
Originally posted by marksabs marksabs wrote:

I noticed from their blog that the new roof had a plastic wind deflector. is that a new roof design or only for LWB?

Only going on what Simon from Jerba told me, but apparently it's a revised design. The Reimo comes with the plastic wind deflector which is fixed to the front of the roof above the windscreen - although it's a bit of a PITA to fit according to him, not the easiest to sit it perfectly in place.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 10:16
That wind deflector on the Reimo roofs is only for the LWB version.  The SWB version doesn't have it.

Cheers
BBB (who is amazed he is actually able to post something vaguely helpful rather than a question for a change!!!)
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 12:37
I've got a SWB Reimo and it has the wind deflector on the front. Without it the noise is so loud as soon as you get above 30MPH that you can't here yourself think. With it you can do over 100MPH and not here a thing from the roof. Although I have never done over 100MPH in mine, honest Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>