The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pop Top interior roof cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pop Top interior roof cleaning
    Posted: 20 Feb 07 at 19:24
i have got a problem with the roof lining on my westfalia pop top wen the top has been down for some time there are dark black damp patches. does anyone know any cleaner that will remove these stains? i have removed the roof mattress to allow air to circulate around now and will see if that helps. thanks karl
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 07 at 21:08
is it mildew or mould? camping shops sell cleaner for tents and awnings, that should work?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
calvin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 07 at 22:50
I had a bit of this on the inside of my poptop, and used mould cleaner very carefully, and a little interior car shampoo - the flock on the roof comes off easily when scrubbed, so be very gentle or you'll get bald bits!

I try to leave the top mattresses out when the van is not in use for a while - to let the air round as you mention.

Ever tried eating a clown? They taste funny.
'89 2.1 Westy California darn sarf, Sussex.
+++ Still looking for good OSR big bumper corner section PLEASE! +++
irishkeet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 07 at 19:31
G3 Compound
will work so im told
whitewesty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 07 at 18:25
what on the inside of the roof??
badger View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 07 at 21:18

Just cleaner the inside of my pop-top with Dettol Anti-Bacterial Mould & Mildew remover, trigger spray from Wilko - came up fantastic, just spray & leave for about 2 mins, then thoroughly rinse with a cloth & hot water. None of the flock lining has come off and roof has dried to an "even" colour with no patches.

potterpottybus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potterpottybus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 07 at 23:36

i done this a month or so ago its on here somewhere in tech help! basically tried everything even a very confident car valet couldn shift it then i was told to use diluted milton 1 to 10 parts water and it worked awesome i used a soft car wash brush on a pole and there was no bleaching effect off the  over spill anywhere and it didnt damage the fussy lining

am i there yet
potterpottybus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potterpottybus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 07 at 23:39
am i there yet
whitewesty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 07 at 10:09
yes thanks potterpottybus i also tried the miltons fluid and it worked really well was meaning to post back up about this but i forgot
monkey boy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 07 at 23:38
bleach and water 50/50 mix, in one of those hand sprayers. spray the mist on(wet), leave it an hour or 2, rub it off with an old towel. fantastic.    i tried everything.... no smell or anything, 2 years ago. no sign of anymore mildew like new.
DaveyP2004 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveyP2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 08 at 10:06

Hi Chaps,

I just tried using the milton fluid but it hasnt really made much difference. How long did you leave it for after spraying ? I only left it for about 10 mins before rinsing, is that the problem ?

Cheers,

Dave

RichardN View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 08 at 19:14

I cleaned my pop-top a few weeks ago with Milton's and it worked very well indeed.

I used a 1 in 5 mix with water which was probably a bit stronger than it needs. I sprayed it on to the dark spots of mildew and then gave it a rub with a very soft brush so I didn't take the flock of the top.

The dark patches literally disappeared as I watched. There was no need to wait for 10 minutes. It left the roof looking like new. There were no white patches where the fluid has been and, apart from a swimming pool smell that disappeared after a day or so there were no signs it has ever been mouldy.

Richard

< =text/>

DaveyP2004 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveyP2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 08 at 20:32

OK thanks Richard, It sounds like maybe I should try with a stronger solution than previously. Will have a go soon and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for replying.

Cheers,

Dave

moogster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 08 at 10:56
polycell 3 in 1 mould remover and a cheap plastic scrubing brush, cheapest place i found was from wilkos. less than a fiver for both. spray it on the roof flock, leave a couple of mins rub GENTLY with the brush then wipe off with kitchen towel. dry it off with a hair dryer. mine came up like new. also did the mould patches on the pop top material. Very Happy
Mooch View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 11:54
Wow, what a result! Clap

I was thoroughly disheartened when I opened the pop top the other day to find a nightmare in dark, mildewey, mouldy patches! Shocked

I remembered these two threads though and gave it a liberal spray this morning with a 20% Milton solution (1 part Milton to 4 parts water) and it was astonishing, hardly any rubbing, barely a trace left and it still has its peachy, flocky finish! Thumbs Up

Good job! Smile
Mooch

1983 T3 Vanagon Westy, 1.9i Watercooled Petrol (Vege recon)
66 joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 18:15
I used the same as M.B.. 50/50 mix of bleach and water in a sprayer.Leave it to soak in both inside and out for 10 mins the keep sponging  it off with fresh warm water...
We then sprayed it with tompsons to reseal the canvas (very important)..
It leaves a strong smell for week or so but you will never have a problem again..
Also make sure you sheet over the paintwork when applying...Thumbs Up
T4 Westfalia Exclusive.Tdi LT work van..

andywedge View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andywedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 11 at 12:45
Cleaned it last night using Milton 1 to 4 mix, comes up fantastic but would recommend you do it a good week before camping in the van, unless you want to smell like a hospital.
power to the wedge
kooldubs View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M STILL HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooldubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 11 at 17:24

i have just had my roof taken off to replace the canvas, whilst it was off we took it to a car upholstery cleaner supplier, they tried everything they had in the shop..( nice of them to do this as it didnt cost me anything) and none of it worked..

so i made my way to sainsburys.. there i bought there own thin bleach ( bleach i hear you say) well when you open the bottle you will understand .. it has hardly any smell at all, that`s how weak it is..

well after getting back to futbus`s i sprayed the whole underside of the roof to the point it was leaking wet..i turned my head to speak to dave and as i turned back to see what was happening. iall the black mould spots had gone.. yep that quick.
so i then soaked the roof with fresh water.. to the point you could`nt smell any form of bleach at all, the following day we then put the roof back together again.. it has stayed nice and clean ever since and none of the flock matierial has come away for the roof..

ask Elvis as he has seen the resaults...wicked..
 and all for 30p  yes 30pBig smile

Edited by kooldubs - 17 Aug 11 at 17:26
86 t3 doka & 2001 T4 2.5 TDI
marc34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 11 at 21:54
Milton 1 to 5 worked great for me .
1991 california westie 1.9 AAZ
chickenkoop View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 11 at 20:03
Fantastic, unbelieve the result, looks bran new, used the same as badger, dettol mould and mildew, thats for you tips, just wish i'd did it earlier,lol Thumbs Up
98, karmann Colorado,
89, T3 westy california
Brickin it in Cov.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>