The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Petrol or Diesel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arvon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Petrol or Diesel
    Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 16:47
We are looking for either a T3 High Top or a Karmann Gypsy.

the burning question is petrol or diesel.

I want a diesel but getting the version of the van i want and diesel is seemingly impossible.

If it is to be a High Top the I am after the Kameo or Komet version, but there seem to be many more petrol versions around for sale, am i missing out on good vehicles because i am being too picky or is there not a huge amount of difference in economy.

regards
I want a Gypo
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 17:27
pretty big difference in economy, petrol engines parts are also starting to go obsolete...

2.1 is a nice engine if its in good order.

diesel is pretty under powered to be honest...but I still prefer them
TeeB View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 17:38
I have got both, 1.9 petrol in the Westy High-top (which maybe for sale) and 1.6TD in the Gipsy (slow but quite bearable) and the most economical of the two.

Good Luck - and by the way, I'll have a large Baileys with Ice (as is the custom!)
1985 Westfalia Joker Jubilee
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 17:44
i love the 2.1 petrol in my bus, dont forget you can always lpg it!!

from experience of the two choices you have i would go for the hi top, having had a autohomes hi top then a cheetah (gypsy) and now a westy hi top i wouldnt go back to a gypsy.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 17:57
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

from experience of the two choices you have i would go for the hi top, having had a autohomes hi top then a cheetah (gypsy) and now a westy hi top i wouldnt go back to a gypsy.

Why would you not have a gypsy again Jason? Just curiousTongue

daveyboy10_2 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyboy10_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 18:41
Had an Autosleeper and got Gasure to LPG it it was awesome sold it and got a 1.6td gipo which aint bad if you can put up with the lack of ooomph, my Autosleeper is still goin strong the guy who bought it loves the LPG bit especially with todays prices
Wanna buy some pegs Dave
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 19:00
Diesel. If you cant live with the power, there are other engine options.

I love the way a 2.1 sounds, and drives, but I simply couldnt afford to run a petrol anymore. LPG is an option, and I loved paying 40p a litre in my old van, but the times I needed gas and couldnt find any so had to use petrol where frequent, and annoying.

Edited by Tee3 - 14 Oct 08 at 19:01

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
smurf View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 19:17
I've got a 1.9 dg and unless you like filling up a lot, buy a diesel, I would in hindsight.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 19:39
Originally posted by windysurferuk windysurferuk wrote:

Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

Why would you not have a gypsy again Jason? Just curiousTongue
i found it tedious to drive (and that was a 2.1 dj!!) it was great to camp in but awkward and un wieldly to get actually there. visability was pants, esp at roundabouts, as where you need a window (being lhd) there is a wall!! which , ok you can compesate for these things by altering your driving style but to me it was not worth the aggro of driving it. plus when you see the horrors being uncovered on what is basically a twenty year old caravan, im glad mine has gone on to pastures new.  

mrs k still misses the cheetah but im very happy with the westy

Wink

Edited by jason k - 14 Oct 08 at 19:39
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 19:42
got a 2.1 petrol and love it, bit thirsty but very smooth and quiet.
Can keep the bills down by not driving like a knob.
Not prepared to lose the storage when converting to LPG.

T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Bluebays View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 19:54
We got both a 2.1 and a 1.6TD, Both very different but i think the 2.1 has the edge,Driven properly its quite a frugel motor,Had a Scooby powered too but if i kept i would have lost my licence by now

rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 19:57
Originally posted by DWEEZIL DWEEZIL wrote:

Had a Scooby powered too but if i kept i would have lost my licence by now

WinkLOLLOLLOL hell yes!!! Will be on the bud by ChristmasBig%20smile
LOL
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Bluebays View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 20:37
I'm Just too smart for my own good,Really miss that van...Praps when im older and wiser i will get another,Its not going to happen tho LOL

Rustybus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustybus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 20:44
Originally posted by DWEEZIL DWEEZIL wrote:

...Praps when im older and wiser  LOL

No! Never gonna get wiser LOLLOL
Bluebays View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 20:49
LOL Cheers matey LOL

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 20:54
ive not had a full camper but i can say i do prefer petrol..
ive had loads of petrol vans and my crew cab is now fitted with an aaz.. its not all that tweeked yet but it just aint me..

i love the way a 2.1 drives, infact a well setup 1.9 dg is ok in a van...
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Lambretta Mark View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 08 at 22:26
Petrol is cheaper! my diesel was noisy,sooty,dirty and smelly.Nuke Upgraded to a Subaru now and would never look back. Dont get me wrong I like diesels,but clean up to date ones that have actualy got some power kike the late Golfs.
A petrol 2.1 is thirsty at 18mpg compared to my Scooby at 30mpg. but goes well and is well worth having a gas conversion. They are smoother and yes Quieter than the old diesel and bags more oompf! Smile 
Flat out with a flat four- Subaru powered of course!
mr bricolage View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr bricolage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 08 at 22:31
Scooby all the way for me......30 mpg and the ability to hustle down a country road at 75mph.....ooooh one more post and im a saddo

Edited by mr bricolage - 11 Dec 08 at 22:37
Euramobil Terestra
Lambretta Mark View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 08 at 22:34
Yea baby! In 3rd gear!
Flat out with a flat four- Subaru powered of course!
T3 Ben View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 08 at 10:53
had a 1.9 df and now have a 1.6td. Much prefer the diesel for economy reasons, the lack of power doesn't really bother me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>