The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passenger Door Locked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyhooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passenger Door Locked
    Posted: 03 Apr 16 at 11:58
Picking up on a thread I know was on here a long time ago but a few months ago my T5 (07 plate) developed the pain in the rear end problem of not locking or unlocking the passenger door.

It then went on to having the passenger door permenently locked, which is still the case.

I have tried to rectify the situation following guidance on here and today whilst it is dry I have tried to find the wiring splice by the drivers seat under the floor covering.

I have found the looms of wires coming back to the unit under the seat and I have identified that the middle connector of the unit under the seat controls the central locking. I can not find the splice in the wiring however!

I have found two red and blue wires (red with blue tracer) coming from the unit under the seat one is taped off and goes nowhere and no other wire around that could splice into it either. The other red and blue wire just continues un broken through the loom up under the centre of the dash.

Can someone please give me some more pointers as I am at a loss of where to go next.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by happyhooker - 03 Apr 16 at 12:01
Keep Smiling Another Day Tomorrow! :-)

86 T3 'Animal Instincts' JX Pushed...

If you smell Chip Fat it's probably me!!
happyhooker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyhooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 16 at 14:28
Just an update on this if it helps anyone!

I did find the splice and it was under the seat frame all tightly wrapped in fabric tape.

I therefore had to remove the seat and seat base to get to it, only to find it was all fine.

I did re join the connections but unfortunately did not solve the problem.

Whilst i was going through the wiring I did find lots of evidence of corrosion in the command unit under the seat so cleaaned all of that and wd40'd it whilst I was there.

So not a total waste of time.

Its now jack hammer the door open now I guess before the MOT :-)

Keep Smiling Another Day Tomorrow! :-)

86 T3 'Animal Instincts' JX Pushed...

If you smell Chip Fat it's probably me!!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 16 at 15:23
I was just about to reply, my C/L started getting erratic so expecting it to be the splice (Windsurfing van) I took the seat out and found the splice.  As you say it's well back in the loom.  But I found the splice in perfect condition!  All the splice is is the copper strands in the wires squashed flat.  

I just oiled mine up and wrapped it back up.  The loom should stay clear of any standing water since it is clipped up and supported an inch or so above the floor, but I suppose the damp still gets in there over time.

I eventually found the problem with the C/L was a dodgy new battery I'd put in the remote a few months ago! Embarrassed

I wouldn't force the door, it will be double locked and you will do terrific damage.  It would be worth paying a auto sparky to power the correct wire direct to get it open if it is the conv unit under the seat.  If the fault is within the lock itself you may be into trim-wrecking territory.

It's worth repeatedly pressing the unlocking button while slapping the offending door which can sometimes lead to it unlocking.  Only do this when you are ready to fix it because if you relock it (or the van does) you probably won't be that lucky twice! 

Edited by T5 TDI - 03 Apr 16 at 21:47
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 16 at 01:21
I assume you have tried pressing the unlock button on the driver's door to eliminate the possibility of it being a problem with the remote systems (both sender and receiver) ?

Another possibility is a dodgy connector somewhere in the circuit or a broken wire (often where the loom bends near the hinges).  Some broken wires are are hard to visually find, as the insulation looks OK but the wire inside is broken.  It is also worth double checking that corroded unit under the seat - if it is corroded inside that could cause trouble.

Keep trying T5 TDI's tip of pressing the unlock button while slapping the door hard (from the outside, all around the handle near where the locking unit is located).  This has done the trick for a few stuck doors (IIRC the internal locking unit in the door is the second most common problem - after "the splice").  

If it is the locking unit most people just replace it as it usually isn't worth the effort to get it working properly again.
 Post Reply Post Reply