The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passage door dead locked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beankeena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 18 at 10:19
Hey guys
Reet tried new ones off eBay and no one wanted to say that they did fit my van so found a nearly new one from a T6 and the guy said it would fit for 40 quid stuck it in this morning and hayprestoy its working again
Just waiting for the door card to turn up
Cheers guys
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 18 at 21:26
Good to hear you fixed it.  Nice feeling when you work out and fix something yourself. Thumbs Up
2004 2.5 174
Beankeena View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beankeena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 18 at 12:38
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Good to hear you fixed it.  Nice feeling when you work out and fix something yourself. Thumbs Up

Your right there 👍🏻
gaminou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaminou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 18 at 13:04
I made some progress over the weekend. After weeks of refusal, the door randomly popped open using the fob. I had soaked the mechanism in WD40, maybe that helped. There is a small window with rubber plug accessible from the sliding door. So I managed to get the door card off without destroying it Smile

I then set about checking the splice joint in the power supply to the central locking unit, which sits under the driver's side floor mat as described. Mine was ok, a slight green tinge, but decided not to cut and solder the factory splice for fear of weakening it. Instead I put some sugro repair compound (good for this sort of thing when you can't use shrink wrap) around it and rewrapped. That took a while as I have a split charger under the driver's seat that took a while to uninstall and reinstall. Anyway, piece of mind. 

So then a friendly passerby shut my door while I was in the house. Confused Back to deadlocked, but at least I have access. 

I'm lucky to have a friendly mechanic in our local garage. He'd said from the outset that this is an actuator motor failure. He also said not to buy an ebay replacement, which he thinks last less than a year. VW originals are good for 10+ years (my van is 2004), so I've ordered one for a painful £180. 

So once I get the part, I plan to open the faulty actuator and release the deadlock by splitting it with a chisel. Should be straightforward. Ahem. 

One final thought. Why not get a German handle with a key for the passenger side to avoid all this? Has anyone done this? In Germany, the driver's door key will release the fuel cap. Seems to be a design fault on the RHD model. Of course post Brexit we'll all be driving proper British vans, so won't have this sort of thing to worry about. 

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 09:05
Originally posted by gaminou gaminou wrote:

I made some progress over the weekend. After weeks of refusal, the door randomly popped open using the fob. I had soaked the mechanism in WD40, maybe that helped. There is a small window with rubber plug accessible from the sliding door. So I managed to get the door card off without destroying it Smile

I then set about checking the splice joint in the power supply to the central locking unit, which sits under the driver's side floor mat as described. Mine was ok, a slight green tinge, but decided not to cut and solder the factory splice for fear of weakening it. Instead I put some sugro repair compound (good for this sort of thing when you can't use shrink wrap) around it and rewrapped. That took a while as I have a split charger under the driver's seat that took a while to uninstall and reinstall. Anyway, piece of mind. 

So then a friendly passerby shut my door while I was in the house. Confused Back to deadlocked, but at least I have access. 

I'm lucky to have a friendly mechanic in our local garage. He'd said from the outset that this is an actuator motor failure. He also said not to buy an ebay replacement, which he thinks last less than a year. VW originals are good for 10+ years (my van is 2004), so I've ordered one for a painful £180. 

So once I get the part, I plan to open the faulty actuator and release the deadlock by splitting it with a chisel. Should be straightforward. Ahem. 

One final thought. Why not get a German handle with a key for the passenger side to avoid all this? Has anyone done this? In Germany, the driver's door key will release the fuel cap. Seems to be a design fault on the RHD model. Of course post Brexit we'll all be driving proper British vans, so won't have this sort of thing to worry about. 

Hmmm, that sounds like an excellent idea !  I wonder if there would need to be other parts as well eg actuator and possibly wiring changes also, as the key obviously has to release the deadlock first, as well as unlock the door. 

I'll have to have a think about that if I decide to keep my van (I'm currently trying to decide whether to keep mine or not).

I hope your repair work fixes the problem without too much trouble.

Edited by gregozedobe - 23 Nov 18 at 09:08
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 18:52
That is a good idea, although as Greg says you could run into some oddities. For instance the driver's door lock/actuator is different and works the 'lights on' warning. I think if you had two 'master' locks it would probably confuse the conv unit. Just needs a pioneering soul to find put!
2004 2.5 174
gaminou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaminou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 19 at 20:33
To close off my saga for future reference... I managed to open the lock mechanism by driving a chisel into it with the door still deadlocked. Access is very difficult, even once you get the door card off. The metal window carrier plate can be pulled back just enough to get in. Drive the chisel in along the joint between the white an black plastic housing of the mechanism. 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 19 at 10:00
Thanks for getting back to us. Clap   Your experience will be helpful to others. Thumbs Up
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12