The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint defects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happysparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint defects
    Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 11:46
I have had a number of large pieces of paint that have come off the bonnet of my 2011 T5 GP combi.  Currently I am being told that these are 'stone chips' and therefore wear and tear. 
The paint is essentially delaminating from the primer, size of which varies from 1mm (in diameter) to 6 mm (in diameter) - as you can imagine this doesnt make the front of my very expensive VW product look very good and I am sure that if I wanted to sell the vehicle that any prospective buyer would not be sympathic or take my word for it that VW think its 'wear and Tear'.  Has anyone else had problems with paint finish and, if you have, what have you been able to do about it?

Thanks
Happysparks
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 20:40
Hello there Happysparks. I am sorry to say that yes paint issues appear to quite common, I myself have had my van back to vw twice for paint defects. I suffered from the common problem of rust around the sliding door handle and also rust on both rear wheel arches, this was reported to my local vw dealer long after the standard warranty had expired but was covered by vw under the body corrosion warranty.  I would recommend you approach your local dealer and point out your problems to them and see what they come back with. If you don't get any joy from then don't give in as you do have a second chance-vw customer services. Customer services wont entertain you unless you have been to your dealer first so don't try and jump the gun. Keep us in the picture as to how you go on.
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 13 at 10:15
Pop a few pics up and lets all see the quality VW engineering!

Looks another for the list of doom?

Looks like paint quality is another optional extra.

I even paid extra on several wagons for the pearlescent to get the bubbling paint!

Are these standard colours or upgrades like mine?

Edited by Alonline - 23 Dec 13 at 10:17
Happysparks View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happysparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 13 at 12:42
Thanks for the replies - I'll put some pictures up.

VW customer services say that they cant help me - I actually thought I was getting somewhere but essentially I now need to demonstrate that the paint is not OK myself - this means spending £150 on an independent inspection.  Great.  This vehicle cost my family a lot of money and I am really annoyed that the bonnet now looks like its on a vehicle that done 200,000 miles rather than 30,000 (god alone knows what it will look like by then).  I cannot believe VW want a premium van driving around looking like this........

Happysparks
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 13 at 15:42
Spend the £150 for the inspection and then invoice them. If the inspection proves it's sub-standard, by their own admission they'll have to rectify it at their cost
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 13 at 19:53
agreed, spend the money and then give them the results. I know its £150 but it would cost a lot more than that to get the problem rectified. My van has done 140k and i haven't got loads of chips/flaking paint on the bonnet. Shows that the depth of the paint isn't as good as it used to be. At the end of the day its upto you but i would have thought its worth fighting over.
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
john the sparky View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john the sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 13 at 21:22
had a bit on the side of my van where a sprinter walloped my mirror at speed and took a lump out of the paint,

it was about an inch long and went down to the primer... jetwashed the van awhile later and delaminated the laquer

there was another bit of damage on the rear wheel arch, also on drivers side and bodyshop sorted both bits

cost me about £300 to sort and blow in the panel, Id get a price to repair before you spend any money.... I couldn't be bothered to fight with them about it

is the van metallic? if so I believe it will be laquered... and do you jetwash it?
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happysparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 14 at 10:06
No I don't use Jet washer - I suspect I would have not paint left on the bonnet......

How do I post images?

Thanks - and a Happy New Year!
Happysparks
Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 14 at 11:49
Open a photobucket account, and copy the img code then paste.
T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 14 at 16:25
there's a minimum number of points isn't there before you can post pictures?
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happysparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 14 at 19:37
Happysparks
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 14 at 10:02
Yup, works for me. Nasty blemish you have there. I think any paint that can be dislodged with a jet washer is poorly adhered to the metal anyway.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happysparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 14 at 20:28
Interesting side note.  We bought a Boardman mountain bike a couple of years ago, Aluminium nothing too expensive - it hasn't had much use but recently I noticed that large chunks of paint had come off the frame (rather like the bonnet of the van).  I sent quick note to Halfords over Christmas; they told me to take the bike to a local branch; we did that today and after 15mins the dealer had located a replacement frame, booked the bike in and two weeks time we will have a basically a new bike - awesome customer service.  Why can a company the size of VW with the amount of money they are making note make the same simple concession and keep the customer happy?

Anyway, I spoke with the independent paint inspection people and they advised that I seek a second opinion from a second dealer, so that's the step (this has now been going on for 14 months!).
Oh and add insult to injury the van will have to go into the dealer for the 6 consecutive sounds like the near side CV joint is on the way out, its only done 30,000 miles!  Im not sure whether to laugh or cry......... 
Happysparks
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 14 at 23:11
They reckon that's wear and tear? How very fucking retarded of them.

Chips might be considered as wear and tear , poor adhesion isn't.

I would go back to them and laugh at the fucksticks and tell them to stop wasteing your time. If they still insist it is wear and tear, tell them you want it in writing explaining exactly how/why it is wear and tear. If they refuse, sit infront of them and write a brief run down of the conversation and offer them the chane to add to it or disagree then and there (which obviously they won't).

Send a copy of the letter to Milton Keynes along with the same picture(s).

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happysparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 14 at 14:31
Thanks Elvis, I've not got an address/ contact details for Milton Keynes. Can you give me some more information, is it their head office?? I've been struggling to find an address..........
Happysparks
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 14 at 03:21
Originally posted by Happysparks Happysparks wrote:

Thanks Elvis, I've not got an address/ contact details for Milton Keynes. Can you give me some more information, is it their head office?? I've been struggling to find an address..........

Address your letter to Mr Alex Smith, Director of commercial Vehicles VW UK

tel number 0800 71 71 31.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 14 at 23:42
Any update or are VW customer service still using one digit to communicate with you.

18/2/2014 Still getting screwed around by VW with blistering paint on second repair.

Porters say Agnew's fucked the body protection by sanding through to bare metal and then spraying it resulting in corrosion in the metal which VW instructed them to blow it in. Now a year later it has blistered again.

VW says Porters should do it. Porters say blowing it in again I will be back in a year the damage was by Agnew's and the door to do it to VW standards should be replaced?

Now we have tennis blame game going back and forth 6 months, the van is due off finance in 2 months, they promise to have it in last week while I was away skiing but as usual for VW they sat with their finger up their arse.

I have now served court summons on VW and VW finance and they are saying,"This will take time to sort, we want a stay on the court date, we will sort." I am really pissed off with after sales. Porters have done work on the van when idiots reversed into it, side and back and their work and service has been first class so I would tend to follow their guidance and as I feel VW is giving it the usual 45 degree shoulders bit and trying to slope out of it.

Anyone hear with more paint/body protection experience than me? Which one should I believe???

Edited by Alonline - 19 Feb 14 at 10:01
gasoff View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gasoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 14 at 15:14
that is bad service , a mate had a merc car which he bought second hand and had a bit of rust coming through and took it to merc and they took the car from him and gave him a replacement car. They phoned him a week later saying there were having a problem and then again the following week and he eventually got the car back and they had fully resprayed the car and valet it . the guy went and bought new wheels and tires and then decided to get rid off it and sold it for a song really low mileage and all. Gutted I missed 
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happysparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 11:14
Dear All,

An update.  Well after a number of emails; photos, phone calls (and thanks to Alonline for a name) and two years - VW paid for the paint inspection and ALL of my issues (bonnet; sliding door; driver's door; door handles; wheel arches) have been declared as defects and VW need to repair them as part of the warranty!  Its been a long road - once the issues are actually resolved I will give everyone a full brief on what happened and what I have learnt.

Thanks again.
Happysparks
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 14:42
Glad to be of help I am in court shortly yet again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>